For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What vaccinations do you get?
  • I'm just asking to get an idea of what vaccines to get and what not to get. I understand answers may vary depending on where your located, but still.

Maeby is 6 months old now. All of her puppy shots are up to date. She's getting her rabies vaccine next Saturday. She's getting her Kennel Cough vaccine today (that won't be a problem with the rabies that she is getting next Saturday will it? If so I"ll wait until Nov 13th for rabies). Other than that I give her a heartworm pill and frontline once a month. I'll probably stop the frontline after her november treatment.

Does anyone get the Lyme vaccine in the spring? Is there anything I may be missing?
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 11:05:30
  • JudyJudy
    I get the Lyme vaccine once a year for our two since we live in a high tick area. I started it after Frodo had Lyme disease.
  • CaliaCalia
    Are you planning on boarding Maeby at a daycare? Often times you don't really nee the kennel cough shot unless you plan on boarding her or similar situation.

I also got the Lyme shot for my guys due to the high concentration of ticks in our area, but supposedly it may not work with all dogs.

Try not to over do it with the shots, keep to what is really needed. There are countless stories of dogs having reactions to to many vaccines in their system, as well as the higher potential of the vaccines not taking affect due to the body being over worked
  • gotcha. well i was told if she comes into contact with lots of dogs then i should probably get the kennel cough vaccine. she'll be taking obedience classes in the near future and i want to start taking her to the park, etc.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Once my girls were done with their required puppy vaccines (rabies, parvo, distemper, and CAV2) they have only been vaccinated for rabies with the exception of Bella who has had the Bordetella vaccine when I had to board her. And instead of getting the rabies vaccine every 3 years as required, they have a titter test done every year to ensure their immunity and only get the shot when they need it.

However, depending on where you are and what activities you plan on doing with your dog, your vaccine requirements may be different. Get with your vet and talk about vaccinations and their potential reactions. Let him or her know that you are concerned and do not want to over vaccinate your pup, but that you do want to make sure she is protected.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Dexter received the required puppy vaccines and the one for kennel cough. After seeing how he reacted (completely lethargic) that will be the last kennel cough vaccine. Although he does interact with other dogs, we don't plan on having to board him, so the benefits don't seem to outweigh the risks. We also haven't gotten the lyme disease vaccine for him because we live in Brooklyn and not a heavy tick area.
  • pyleapylea
    I have questions about bordetella and lepto vaccines.

I haven't had Pylea vaccinated for either (yet) and I'm not sure if she really needs them. I don't plan on boarding her, but she does go to the dog park almost every day and meets new dogs all the time. I also take her hiking and swimming at lakes and rivers, although she's always on-leash and I make sure she doesn't drink lake/river/puddle water (although she gets a lick or two sometimes). Any advice?

Edit: I should mention that my vet said I should assess Pylea's risk factors for bordetella and lepto and decide based on that... but I really can't decide...!
    Post edited by pylea at 2016-04-19 16:12:25
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I'll probably stop the frontline after her november treatment.

This does not have anything to do with vaccines as you were already given some excellent advice--specifically to speak with your vet. I would not stop flea prevention treatment unless you are sure that your fur baby will not get fleas. I do not know where you live but here in Washington, DC I give my Quakey flea prevention treatment and heartworm prevention year round.
  • pyleapylea
    @Antoinette: the comments prior to mine are from 2010! I just revived an old thread to ask about vaccines because I didn't want to start a new one. :)
  • Lrose1990Lrose1990
    I recommend talking to your vet; they can help you assess the risks your pup faces better than anyone. Yes, vaccine reactions happen, but they're rarer than the interwebs would have you believe.

If you're boarding, bordatella may be required. Lepto... That's a tough one. It's technically a "lifestyle" poke, which means your need depends on how prevalent lepto is in your area and what your dog does when outdoors. Remember lepto can be transmitted in the urine of infected animals.

Lyme is very regionally based. If you're in the Midwest, there are probably Lyme carrying ticks in your area. A tick has to be on the dog for a while to transmit the actual disease (even if it bites, it takes time), so a tick on your dog right after a walk is not necessarily a crisis. That being said, I know people and pets with Lyme. My cousin's fiancée has it, a classmate has it, and a classmate's dog has it. So it's out there!

Again, talk to your vet.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @pylea-I wanted to say that my vet recommended not getting the bordatella because my Quakey is not ever boarded and he does not go to any doggy daycare.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I didn't vaccinate against either of them. Ozzy also will probably never be boarded, and I kind of see it like trying to vaccinate against a cold or something. Lepto isn't prevalent in my area at all, but I still opt to research areas that I'll be camping / vacationing so I know if there is any potential threat of the virus. Ozzy has never like tried to drink from any water that wasn't in a bowl haha. He avoids water outside and likes to stay clean. He sometimes likes to carry stuff in his mouth while we walk, but if I just bring a toy he'll hold on to that and not go for pine cones or rocks etc haha. I prefer to keep the vaccinations minimal, but I'll reacess when I'm traveling in the near future depending on what I might need to be prepared for in the areas I visit.
  • pyleapylea
    @Lrose1990: As I mentioned in my first comment, I have talked to my vet. She gave me a lot of information and said it probably wasn't imperative to vaccinate for lepto and bordetella based on my dog's activities, but that the decision was ultimately up to me. I wanted to see what forum members did for their shibas so I can make the most informed decision possible.

Thanks everyone for the advice--I'm leaning towards not vaccinating for either.
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    @Pylea - Is lepto common in our area? Ponyo is about to be a year old and so i have to decide whether or not she should get updates, etc.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I looked up like endemic maps of the US about a bunch of diseases, should be one on the main lepto info site. I think it's something like lepto.info.ca or something.
  • pyleapylea
    @imBLASIAN: it's not common in the city, but there's a risk when you let your dog off leash in nature, because your dog could drink water in which infected wildlife defecated. It's less of an issue if your dog is always on leash because you can do your best to make sure they don't drink water from questionable sources.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)