For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Bath time
  • JenngamJenngam
    I know it's looked down upon to give Shibas baths all time, but would it be okay if I wet them down more often? I ask because one of mine gets so dirty from being outside that using a wet rag to clean her up takes too long. Would it be okay to rinse them off regularly?
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    One of the reasons Shibas are'nt bathed that often is because most shampoos remove the natural oils on their coats. However, I've been using Miracle Coat Thick & Dense for double coated dogs with no problems. It does not remove the oils and leaves a pleasant coconut aroma. There is a cute picture of a Shiba on the label.
    犬竜
  • bobc33bobc33
    I've had Scout for two years, tried to give her a bath in the bathtub once and ended up with a ton of claw marks all over me. If she really doesn't want to do something it is pretty hard to convince her. I've had her groomed at the vets office once and the groomer said she was doing the Shiba scream the whole time.

I've had Shadow a year, and because of his, at times, angry temperment and real biting I would never dream of trying to bathe him. (His thyroid medication is really helping though) I've had him groomed once and while not as bad as Scout he didn't like it.

That said both of them keep themselves remarkably clean.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya gets dirt on her from walking in the fields she avoids puddles, but somewhow gets dirty probably from messing in the high grass..

She cleans off pretty easy once the dirt dries she is clean..

I've only given her two baths, but I don't think I'll bath her unless she decides scent rolling in coyote poop is fun then I'll bath her.. lol

I've even had her swimming in a lake and in my pond and I just toweled her off her oils keep her fur pretty dry..

Bella my parent's boxer she gets bathed more often if it's something minor like getting muddy from the pond then we just wash her with plain water if she rolled in deer poop then we bath her in soap luckily she hasn't tried to scent roll anymore yet..

I use earthbath mangotango shapoo pretty nice smelling..
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2010-10-28 16:49:09
  • I wipe Yoshi down with baby wipes after the park. I only bathe him if he's really muddy or really stinky, which isnt that often at all. Emi has gotten one bath so far....not too bad.
  • We're in the tropics, it's hot and humid so things start smelling a lot faster. Our breeder bathes his Shibas once a week and we've been doing the same with our Mori.
    Since the humidity here is almost 100% all the time, their skin don't dry out, but we still use a conditioner to keep Mori's coat in good condition.

Partly because we do it so often and we praise him all the time for exploring in the shower and standing there, Mori tolerates his showers without fuss.
    He had his first bath at about 3.5 months. His favorite part of it is being dried with a towel though, he'll kinda dive into the towel and try to roll himself dry.
    The dog run that we take him to has a swimming pool for dogs and some of the Shibas who came from the same breeder as Mori actually like swimming in the pool.

We use baby wipes to clean him off if he's been rolling in wet/ muddy grass when we take him out for walks. That is more of a struggle than the shower because he thinks the wipe is a toy for tug of war.
  • I only bathe Kuma if he's been rolling in something smelly. Usually dirt just falls off once it dries.
    He doesn't like the bath, but he only starts to whimper/scream if I take too long, so it's usually quick baths :p

Always wipe his paws with baby wipes before going to bed. He sometimes sleep in my bed (he prefers the floor) and I know where those paws have been...
    He doesn't really like that either, but he's a real nice and quiet boy.
  • CaliaCalia
    Why use a wet rag? I figure the fact that the rag is wet, it'll cause any dirt to turn somewhat muddy and be harder to get out of the coat. Their coats are naturally dirt repellent and often times the dirt will just fall off in a matter of minutes. You may want to instead, try using a fine bristled brush and brush the dirt out, it's worked for my guys after any sort of dirt flinging romp.

Though, we have rinsed off Tikaani a few times when he was covered in mud (someone likes digging deep muddy holes in the rain) and have found that it takes a pretty long time to towel dry him to a point where he is at least not dripping.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Beth - get a shamwow for Tikaani - that's what I used with my husky - it worked really well.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • I do wash once a month Hiro with PLUSH PUPPY PRODUCTS , ALL NATURALS , are very good and makes the red sesame hair very shiny!
  • emmyemmy
    I last bathed my shiba in May of this year. He was doing fine, then suddenly this last week I started to think he was gonna need a bath soon. Suddenly today I realize that he just stinks! Doesn't smell like anything is WRONG, just like dirty little dog!! So question is...is that how it happens? Just seems like you wake up one day and shiba needs a BATH?

I made a grooming appt. for tomorrow at a place with good reviews. Hoping he still loves me after. And excited about laundering my bedding and having a clean dog to sleep with tomorrow night!!!
  • roxanneroxanne
    AFter reading the above posts, I worry that I shouldn't have bathed my Shiba today. Besides the fact that he reversed the whole process within minutes! I didn't know he had important oils in his coat. He was just so dirty, and he's suffering with a tummy rash, and this herbal, chemical free shampoo had soothing ingredients. I also changed his diet to Wellness Simple Salmon and Potato dog food, hoping it would help. Anyway, here's my colorful account of our Dog Wash. I copied it from my facebook page.

Today the dog got a bath. Or rather we did. You know the routine. First, we walked around the yard, blocking access to all three digging spots, after learning from his first bath how he likes to roll around in freshly dug dirt after leaping, toweled off and lovely, from the bath table. The bath table is a piece of plywood supported by sawhorses, so he is easy to control (LOL.) The water in the hose had been heating up from the sun for a few hours, because we learned, again from the previous time, how loud he can scream when cold water touches him. So anyway, we thought we had it all planned out. At first, all went well. First I got him wet all over, and the warm water must have felt good because he was quite cooperative, though obviously insulted. Then the suds. Hm! He didn't even really mind that. I was so happy to think I'd have my clean boy again. He loves rolling in the dirt when the gnats bother him... and his feet haven't been pretty and white for weeks... So, then we proceeded to the rinse. That's when the water started cooling off. I thought it would feel good on his tummy rash. Not so much. Let the Shiba Scream begin. I hurried up to get the soap off and then towel him off while wincing from the sound, then finally let him go. First, of course, he went for all three dirt spots in the yard. Then he just ran around and and around, like a mad man! We were having a grand ol' time. Then, what? Under the camper there's bare dirt? I've never seen him go there before. He was successful in thoroughly undoing the wash, just by dragging his body along under there. But that was not enough. No. He headed for a corner of the yard, back behind the rain barrel, in between the two buildings. We run over, yelling, No NO! (Like that has ever worked.) He comes flying out of there covered in black mud and carrying a dead bird in his mouth. Much yelling, running around, I think there was the flailing of a rake involved... the bird being tossed in the air and chewed and, yes, rolled on. And then his most worst habit, the "food aggression" issue. If I had any money I'd sign him up for training and a behaviorist, but as it is, we deal with it one day at a time. So finally Paul was able to slip the leash on and coax him away, in to his contained yard area, I got rid of the poor bird, and we all collapsed in our perspective chairs to wonder what normal people do on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I need a cold beer!

Django big mouth
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Self. Serve. Dog. Wash. + expen inside + warm water + blow drier

It isn't rocket science.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • DrySeDrySe
    I bathe both my guys usually once a week (or twice if they get really dirty). Since people mentioned oils on their coats. Is there a tell tale sign that a dog is getting too many baths?

I haven't noticed anything different with my guys when they bath a lot or a little other than the smell. Sometimes I will do once a month, and sometimes I will do once a week. I use earthbath shampoo products and will occasionally use conditioner as well. I haven't noticed a difference with conditioner either so I have kinda stopped using it.

There fur always feels soft and full even when shedding despite so many baths.
  • sunyatasunyata
    DrySe said:

I haven't noticed anything different with my guys when they bath a lot or a little other than the smell....

There fur always feels soft and full even when shedding despite so many baths.

Shibas should not smell after a week or even a month unless they get into something really gross. If your pups are smelly, there is probably an underlying medical issue such as a yeast infection or allergies.

Also, if their fur is soft, then most likely you are doing something wrong (such as bathing too often). The Shiba outer coat (guard hairs) should be coarse.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I am a cat person and one of the reasons for that is probably the doggy smell. I wash Kai somewhere between once a month to once every other month. It's not a set thing, with a schedule, but I can't stand that musky smell and that film you get on your hands after petting a dog. I always use the Tropiclean Kava shampoo and it works well. Tropiclean is a good company with environmentally friendly packaging and it's cruelty free. She always smells good but not syrupy and fake, and her fur feels soft and looks bright.

There are plenty of times I'll see her and go "oh she is gonna need a bath tonight" and then we get home and she looks fine. I think when it comes to mud and dirt, they brush right off her with time, but with some things, like my mom's Bullmastiff's drool or cat poop, nothing but a bath can conquer that.

I always tell people that it is super important to use pet shampoo. I feel that the majority of cats and dogs with bad coats that are attributed to over-washing are actually caused by the improper shampoo. Dog's and cat's pH level is different from humans or even human babies' so when you use human shampoo or baby wipes on pets, it can irritate them. Pet shampoo might be a tad more expensive, but it lasts forever and it's made for them.

Of course, feeding well and supplementing with fish oils always helps to keep their coats in tip top condition!
  • @ramen_noodle_puppy - actually my partner is a research scientist doing personal care (with a PhD in chemical engineering) and he says there is not much difference in using people or dog shampoo. If you use people shampoo you just want to use one with gentler surfactants.

We only wash our guys once every 3-4 months. Mind you, neither of them rolls in anything, but if your dog is healthy, on a good diet, and doesn't roll in stuff, you really don't need to wash them any more frequently than that. They shouldn't have a dog smell or oily feeling coat if all is well. To get rid of things like dirt and mud (or saliva from the dog park) the easiest thing to do is to let it dry and give them a good brushng afterwards.

Neither of our guys get baths because of smell (our girl smells like shampoo for months, funnily not the one she uses, though she is a bit of a freak). Baths help a lot during coat blows and mini-blows in getting rid of the undercoat coming out of them (in addition to way too much brushing).
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    I'll probably be like most shiba parents on here, and wash my dog minimally (only when its needed). There is a lot of stuff here in Alaska that gets him dirty (our nature walks!) but he cleans himself up really well, and if necessary I use the puppy wipes. As an FYI, we are in the rain forest, not up north where it's really dry.

I'm considering taking him to the groomer to get a bath so that he can get used to it (kind of like how I got his nails clipped last month- he didn't really need it, but I wanted him to be comfortable with a groomer early on). What are people's thoughts on this? He's already so dramatic that I'd like him to be comfortable in different types of "high stress" situations. He does go into the shower with me, so I know that he's not too afraid of water.
  • zandramezandrame
    @devonmlewis, if you can, you should start bathing Yuki while he is still young so it's not as big a deal. If he walks into the shower with you, great. I think a groomer is an unnecessary expense since Shibas do not need to be trimmed, just washed. Nails are a different story, and we have to see a professional - but not for lack of trying at home first!
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @zandrame I agree- but I would rather have a groomer "deal" with it if he's shiba screaming. Maybe I could try it, though. Maybe I'll check in with the thread if I decide to try it. :)
  • BootzBootz
    @devonmlewis

Try it yourself first to see how it goes. Some Shibas scream, some just tough it out and go with it. Best to keep all experience positive if you can. Not sure if your Shiba will be comfortable with a stranger bathing her.

If your Shiba does scream while you bathe him/her, just make sure to try to soothe him/her with your voice. It goes a long way and with good reinforcement the Shiba will learn its best to go with the flow instead of fight ;)

• devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    Godo tips @bootz !! :) I shall try it.
  • zandramezandrame
    @Bootz is right, the best way to keep it positive is to do it yourself. It's a rare groomer who will take the time to make the experience a good one. And few are that experienced with Shibas, let alone prepared for the screaming. Most are on a schedule and want to get things done as quickly as possible.

We took Kouda to a well-rated groomer once. Kouda was well behaved, no aggression whatsoever, despite the trembling and screaming. But the guy finally got frustrated and BLEW IN HIS FACE to make him be quiet. That was it, we were done. We noped out of there and did not have to pay.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I prefer to bathe Kira myself simply because with my experience in the pet industry, a groomer will never be as soothing and accommodating to your dog as you will. Period.

Groomers are paid and tipped on the amount of dogs that they groom or bathe, not how much they spent keeping the dog from being stressed. It's a hard pill to swallow, and I'm sure that there are groomers out there that truly do care about the dogs, but it unfortunately boils down to the almighty dollar.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @bootz and @zandrame update!! I bathed Yuki over the weekend!!! I will never bathe him at a groomer (and use the money I saved to get him a Pet Box LOL!).

He seemed a scared at first, and I didn't bathe him head to toe, just because he is't really needing one, it was more to see how he'd do. I did get his upper body and face totally wet and used the puppy shampoo on him. He tried to get away a few times, but I redirected him and he just stood there (probably in shock). No crying (thank goodness!).

He let me use the towel on him instead of thinking it was something to play with/attack, and then fell asleep in his towel about five minutes later. Too cute! He did really well.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    We are moving into week 3 of Furpocalypse and I finally gave in and bathed Kira yesterday. I read that a warm bath does wonders with loosening up the fur and it is indeed accurate!

Kira has had only 2 baths previously and did exceptionally well, no whining, screaming, or struggling whatsoever. I just talked her through the whole process and she was wonderful! Now to make all that fur go away, that is another story.
    imageimage

• BootzBootz
    @Kira_Kira

Since you're trying to keep baths a minimal, make sure you bathe her at the peek of her shedding.

I usually give Bootz a good 30-45 min massage/rub down while using my hands (or if you have a zoom groom) to loosen up all that fur. It helps TREMENDOUSLY but of course does not stop the shedding. *** please remember to use some kind of back up net mesh thing to catch the fur or it'll clog up your plumbing
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Thanks @Bootz - I knew there would be a lot of fur, but it has been more than I expected. The bath did help to loosen the fur quite a bit. I zoom groom her everyday, it's amazing how much they lose!

My comforter is a sad sight right now. I don't want to take it to the dry cleaners until she is done.
    imageimage

• BootzBootz
    @Kira_Kira

You sure try to look at another comforter for shedding season ( Haha ). I usually just shake mine, and all Bootz fur comes off.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Kira_Kira - If your comforter is not too fluffy, you can probably vacuum it. That is what I do. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    I usually use a lint brush to de-furr it and if it is super furry then I put it in the dryer with no heat for about 10 minutes.
  • Otto (4 months) only had one bath while with us and it was at the vet. I was assisted by his trainer, who he loves, and, boy, did I need help. He screamed and tried to get away. This was about 6 weeks ago and though I could wait a bit longer, as part of getting him used to new experiences I think I should wash him again. I'll do it this weekend at home this time, but I have to say I'm kind of worried. He is usually a sweet puppy but he goes bonkers when anyone tries to restrict him. He nipped at people he usually likes at the vet when he got his nails clipped and he has bit me once when I tried to control a tantrum on a walk.

I still have a lot to learn :S
  • I cross my fingers, but I gave Kiba his first bath a couple weeks ago, because he was shedding so bad, he would leave my jeans covered in his dog fur at the end of puppy class...I put my swimsuit on, filled the bath tub with water as he sat in the bathroom with me...once filled i jumped in and had my girl pass him to me...he did great! He didnt really try to get away until i started running the water through the shower head...
  • Casper101Casper101

Otto (4 months) only had one bath while with us and it was at the vet. I was assisted by his trainer, who he loves, and, boy, did I need help. He screamed and tried to get away. This was about 6 weeks ago and though I could wait a bit longer, as part of getting him used to new experiences I think I should wash him again. I'll do it this weekend at home this time, but I have to say I'm kind of worried. He is usually a sweet puppy but he goes bonkers when anyone tries to restrict him. He nipped at people he usually likes at the vet when he got his nails clipped and he has bit me once when I tried to control a tantrum on a walk.

I still have a lot to learn :S

Bath time was a big pain with my pup as well. The first bath I gave him, stressed him out so much that he developed colitis and and screaming while he tried to poop out nothing for a good 10 minutes straight the next morning at 5am, with neighbours yelling down from surrounding towers. I thought I had ruined my poor little pup.

I realized that I definitely jumped the gun a bit with the bath and just 'went for it', whereas I should of conditioned him from the start to like it.

Here are some tools and tricks that have now made it so that Casper will tolerate baths 100%. He still dislikes them, and will run away from me if he thinks it's time, but once he's in will deal with it.

#1: Get a bathmat that sticks to to bottom of the bath with suction cups and gives your pups paws something to grip on. A big issue with my guy was the fact that he had no traction, and would freak out immediately.

#2: Get a contraption that will keep the dog in place so that you have both hands free. Not so necessary if you have two people, but it's just me, so this helped immensely. This is the product I purchased and I recommend it. (sorry if posting the link isn't allowed). http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001RMMWHY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

But BEFORE you do all this. Condition him to equate the bath, or whatever environment that you bathe him in, with the greatest treats known to man. In our case, it was cheese.

I started by building him a little staircase so he could get into the bath himself, and would lay bits of cheese on the edge of the tub, in the tub, etc. for a few days. After a few days he would just hand out there waiting for cheese. Eventually, I would place him in the tub with no water but continue to feed him treats constantly. Then I'd turn on the shower extension, but not wet him, and treat. Next step, just get his feet wet and treat, etc. Gradually build up his level of exposure to the water unit he is soaked, but while this is happening, keep shovelling treats into him. Personally, I found the next way for a full bath was to have it full, just drop him in and start treating / bathing. Now he doesn't make a sound, unless I am rinsing him off, then he might whine a bit, but will stay put and deal with it as long as he is getting food constantly (and not necessarily cheese at this point, even kibble works).

Anyways, I hope this helped. My original plan was to just say F it and take him to get professionally bathed, but if it is going to stress him out so much, it's not fair to him or the groomer. So conditioning is the best way to deal with it IMO.
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    We usually have the groomer at our vet office wash ours. It just seems safer for everyone.

However, when we are not able to get in, I take them to a place near my home. Its $16 and you can stay as long as you need. They have big, deep metal tubs, a collar lock on the wall (so no escaping and head control, so no biting) a hand sprayer, shampoos, brushes, towels, treats and blow dyers. Its all do it yourself. You can safely wash your dog and have no clean up to do! They will trim nails and ash ears for you. its part of the package.

So what I am suggesting is check around your area for do it yourself dog bathing shops. Its so worth it.
  • FoxysMumFoxysMum
    I've been taking Foxy to the groomer's once every month. Originally we did Petsmart; but, I found a new, totally awesome grooming shop that's kennel free (they have staff playing with the dogs and giving them treats while they wait). I took both dogs last week and my only issue is that they both seems to be shedding more that they've gotten that deshedding shampoo. I wonder if its just coincidence as it coincides with the start of the warmer weather?

Since the snow melted, I've been wiping off feet and faces (especially noses) with a washcloth dipped in warm water and puppy shampoo after every walk. Foxy complains each and every time, yet keeps pretty still because she knows that treats come when I'm done.
  • Bump...

Banjo LOVES bathtime (we got a self-washing station in the building and when we walk past he tries to drag me inside). I also enjoy giving him a bath.

How often is too often for bathing a shiba? I've read you can bathe your shiba every other week, and i've read it shouldn't be a more than twice a year thing.

Would love advice from y'all on what is too frequent for bath time.... I want to give him one every day as its a LOT of fun.

P.S. I use Tropiclean Spa Lavish Shampoo and Conditioner (matching fragreneces because it seemed simpler)

TIA!

• Thanks for the tips, @casper101. I think you are right, generous treats is pretty much how we have been dealing with every situation Otto is not comfortable with. In his opinion, the greatest treat known to man is peanut butter. He only gets that on very special occasions. I have to say, he is more mature now and a lot easier to deal with.

I wasn't involved in his last bath, my husband washed him without any help and Otto was unhappy but didn't throw a fit. There is a self-washing station at the vet, but since he freaks out I think the tub at home is more comfortable for him.

As to how often, we only bathe him when he smells, maybe it will be more often in the summer. I honestly don't feel like bathing a dog that looks perfectly clean just to have a schedule, so I think he will probably end up having 4-5 baths a year. Maybe I would feel differently if he liked it.
  • Jshaw1993Jshaw1993
    @BanjoTheBetaDog I work in a grooming salon and our general recommendation is once a month if you prefer. Me personally I bather Blitz every 2-3 months unless he's rolled in something that makes it necessary to be sooner. We use the Tropiclean Spa line because we love it. Renew is my favorite
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I wouldn't bathe him more often than a couple times a month unless necessary - their coat can dry out if bathed too often and you want the natural oils in the fur to regenerate and bathing too often doesn't allow that.
    imageimage

• JuniJuni
    If he enjoys the water and pampering maybe you can bathe him more often but not use any schampoo?
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Heyo! I'd really like to know everyone's opinions of bathing a puppy... I'm conflicted about it. I've been reading a bunch of old threads but still haven't reached a conclusion. So I've been considering giving Ozzy a bath (10 weeks) mostly for the experience / desensitization. He's not terribly dirty, not sparkly clean either. We just moved to our new apartment and they had the carpet cleaned a couple of days before we got Ozzy. We've been putting almond / lavender oil on his belly because it was getting a bit aggravated, we think from the carpet. It helped wonderfully, but now his underside is rather oily haha.

So it's not like he desperately needs a bath. He's gotten pretty comfortable with being brushed and using the nail dremel because we practice those, and I was wondering if i should practice bathing as well. I know shibas rarely need baths and it can be bad to give them too many, so I'm not sure if I should just wait and bathe him only when he needs it, or if gently introducing the experience while he's young could help him become more comfortable with it as he gets older. What do you guys recommend??
  • JuniJuni
    It's up to you, but plan ahead so you don't need to take him out to go potty when he's wet and it is freezing outside.

I didn't bathe Juni until she was about 9 months old (a friend has never bathed her shiba ever! And he has wonderful fur) Juni is not keen on baths but she puts up with it very well. So I don't think it's necessary to train everything from puppyhood if that is the main reason for bathing him now.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    I've only bathed Tali twice since I've had her, and even then it probably wasn't necessary. I was just aways used to giving my other 2 dogs a bath every couple of months. Tali's last bath was over 8 months ago and her fur is still clean and smells great. I've read that they have self cleaning fur and really do believe it. She's the only one out of my 3 that can romp around on the beach and come back without a grain of sand or mud on her.

When you do happen to give Ozzy his first bath, I'd recommend a bath mat in the tub so that he doesn't slip all over the place. Tali freaked out in the bathtub because she couldn't get a solid grip but after getting the mat, she improved and tolerated it much much better. Of course, saving all your best and most delicious treats for bath time is always a good idea :)
  • pyleapylea
    I don't think it would hurt to give Ozzy a bath just for the experience. I've bathed Pylea twice to get her accustomed to it. She looks/smells clean but the bathwater was a murky brown, so maybe she needed it (I've never seen her groom herself). I probably will bathe her a few more times as a pup. I use an organic oatmeal shampoo to which I added organic cold-pressed neem oil for flea and tick control.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Would bathing with just water be less drying?? The shampoo I have is earth bath I think. I was considering going really light on the shampoo and using mostly water to help him get used to it without using too much product. He's sooo good about adapting, so I have high hopes for introducing a bath. The first time is always a bit unsettling though. He's great with nail care and brushing now (better than any dog I've had in the past, which I never expected with a shiba).

The bath mat and remembering to plan potty time so he won't be freezing outsideis super helpful, I wouldn't have thought of those. Maybe I'll add a bit of lavender oil, I've heard that can repel fleas / ticks, though I'm not that concerned about it right now; there will probably be snow on the ground for at least another month or 2 where I live.

Thanks so much for the tips. I think I'll go for a light bath sometime this week. Definitely gonna pick up a bath mat so he has some traction. :)
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Normally my girl doesn't smell badly, but after she plays with other dogs it is pretty noticeable, especially since she likes playing with the drooliest/stinkiest dogs she can find. So generally she gets a bath one to two times a month since we have training classes once a week, try to go to a dog park at least once a week, and also go on hikes a couple times a month.

Since everything gets wet, I generally end up standing in our bath/shower with her between my legs and do a double scrub with some pet oatmeal shampoo we picked up from somewhere (hate the smell of it) and then with my personal moisturizing shampoo that makes her smell wonderful. Probably not kosher in dog-world, but she doesn't have skin issues and her fur is super soft and plush.

@Lilikoi - from personal experience, I would say that rinsing with water isn't more drying. However, rinsing with just water won't be cutting into and removing any additional substances that cling to the fur.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I did end up giving him a quick bath and he did great. I used just a bit of dog shampoo mostly on his underside, I barely even got his head wet haha. He's now delightfully soft and fluffy and smells so good. He didn't scream or whine at all, and even after bath time was done, he sat patiently while I dried him off and brushed him. He was a bit unsettled about the process but I introduced him to the tub slowly and let him have some treats while it was empty and stuff. As long as he gets lots of positivity, he's easy to pacify.
  • Ahri doesnt like water or rain but she doesnt fuss about it...she just sits there.
    Kiba loves being outside in the rain and getting wet, seems to not mind the bath...we're actually going to give them a bath today since they have gotten really muddy lately. In total we have only given them like 5 baths and they dont really smell dirty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)