For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Proof my Shiba is in Charge
  • emmyemmy
    What proof do you have that your Shiba owns you, instead of the other way around? My initial thoughts:

- I stayed in bed for at least an hour extra this morning because he looked too comfortable to disturb.
    - I don't consider buying pet toys and treats a discretionary expense....sure he has enough, but he would LOVE this little pig stuffie!!
    - I live alone, so I don't tend to come home and cook a meal. But I'll cook for this dog. I will eat an apple, cheez-its, and a diet coke for dinner because I'm too lazy to put a meal together. But he gets soooo happy if I make him a sweet potato or chicken and rice for dinner. So for him, I'll cook!

I thought of this when I saw the post earlier about Jazz needing room for luggage but LJOwen packing light! Too funny!
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    Treats seem to be my downfall. Every time I go to the pet store I pick up some sort of treats! We have so many treats and we cut back giving treats. I just cant resist all the different varieties. My dogs know this and know I will be bringing home treats.

I get up at night every time the dogs decide they want to go outside. Even if they have been out the hour before. I just don't want to take a chance as they are loose in the house at night. I know they can sleep thru the night and they know it but they also know I will let them out so they can check out the lizard population outside.

I love my Shibas!
  • The shibas have been in charge even before we got them.

We bought a co op just to be able to have a shiba.

We bought a new car just to drive the shiba around.

We bought the shiba another shiba to play with.

We may buy another car just to drive the shibas around

We want to buy a house so that we can get another shiba for the shibas to play with.

I could go on buy Katsu doesn't want me to.
  • Ha! That last post cracked me up! *lol*

The Shibas have trained my husband I to be their doorkeepers--one scratch on the door and we obediently let them in our out.

We discussed getting a king-sized bed so there would be more room for us AND which ever Shiba was sleeping upstairs that night.

The shibas (and Akita) get very healthy food, all sorts of supplements, natural remedies, etc. Just the other day someone told me I could take chondotrin for the arthritis pain I get in my hands in the winter, and I said, oh, yeah, I guess that's not just for dogs....
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Let's see - I've begun redecorating/re-upholstering to items that don't show as much fur.

I've bought entire sets of collars, leashes, harnesses, raincoats, boots, bags.

I've spent hours "talking" with complete strangers about Jazz and their like-minded dogs.

I arrange my life in whether Jazz can go and am known to turn down going places if the Queen can't go.

Stopped dating a guy who didn't find the Queen to be cute but thought that Chihuahuas were...good choice on that one.

I've drive 14+ hours to meet people with the same kind of dogs and am planning to go 17+ hours next year to do the same.

I bought a nicer camera to be able to take better pictures of her.

I've learned to type with her sitting in my lap and her paws on my desk.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • I calculate how long I've been gone on errands (and do I need to get home to the Shibas?)

The vet appointments come before the doctor appointments.

Started a Shiba meetup.

Wrote a book of short stories about Shibas.

Found myself helping w/ Shiba rescue.

Now have two Shibas.

Obviously, the Shibas are exercising some sort of mind control...
  • jujeejujee
    I sleep on at the edge of the bed so that Mika can be comfortable at night when she sleeps. If she moves over closer to me and I am close to falling off I move to the other side of the bed.
    When I go out to the store, 90% of the time whatever I'm getting is for her.
  • sunyatasunyata
    My list is fairly similar to everyone else's...

I am bought a bigger couch for the Shibas.
    I bought a bed that is lower to the ground for Nola (she has trouble jumping on high objects).
    I bought a new Outback as my "dog hauler around vehicle". (THEY LOVE IT!)
    I spend more monthly on the dog's food than I do on my own food.

Pretty much everything I do... I do for the dogs. This is not my house... Bella and Nola just allow me to stay here and pay the rent for them. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • McYogiMcYogi
    These lists are great, I can't believe how many things ring true for me as I'm reading them!

Bought the SUV for the dogs to ride in the back.
    Bought the house for the dogs to hang in the backyard.

Learned to sit and sleep with feet, leg, back and head warmers no matter where I'm trying to relax :)

• curlytailscurlytails
    LJ, I'm totally pining for a better camera so I can take better pictures of my pets. But I don't think that's happening anytime soon, given the dental estimate we've been given for our basenji. =P

Total spent on vet visits/prescription drugs since March of this year: well over $1000
    Total spent on my own health care in the last three years (granted, I have insurance, but still...): approx. $200?

Since we've been trying so hard to monitor Bowdu's foot-licking as we're giving him back his cone-free privileges, I've been sleeping with my head on the foot-side of the bed, so I'm hovering over his bed and able to wake up immediately if I hear him so much as slurp at his footsies. The Doggy Daddy isn't as obsessive as I am, so he's been sleeping the "normal" direction -- which means he gets my feet in his face. Well, at least there's a Basenji curled up against his chest as a "buffer."
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • oh yeah forgot the camera
  • Yep all sounds pretty familiar...
    -I spend a bit of almost every day lurking, posting and reading blogs about shibas.
    -I worry about them when they are alone and yes calculate how long they have been home alone, then buy new toys and treats while I'm out.
    -One is never enough so I have two.
    -My new dream is to have a house, biggest requirement? A large fenced in back yard!
    -I have learned to type, read, do school work...all with a shiba on my lap, and when I need to go to the bathroom, get a drink...I look down and see them sleeping so cutely and put it off because I hate to disrupt them...

Yes I've got it bad but I blame it on having two mind controls working on me! Wait, maybe that was their plan all along...
  • Haha this is so funny. Lets see:

-When I picked out my furniture it had to be good enough for Yoshi. We would test out the furniture and say "Do you think Yoshi would like this? Is this comfy enough for Yoshi?" Who cares about us lol.
    -We want to buy a house for Yoshi and Emi, not for Amanda and Chris. Doesn't matter if its a shack as long as it has a HUGE yard for the Shibas.
    -The other night I fell asleep at the head of the bed squished against the wall and Chris fell asleep at the foot of the bed nearly falling off because Yoshi and Emi fell asleep in the middle of the bed all spread out and they looked so cute and comfy and we didnt want to move them.
    -I do not buy anything for myself anymore but my new fave stores are Petco and Petsmart.
    -I saw a really cute car at the dealership the other day but I could never buy it cause its a coupe and will be too annoying for Yoshi and Emi to get in and out so I must stick with the 4 door.
  • shibaserfshibaserf
    In addition to most of the stuff mentioned above, we bought a closet organizer system so we'd have room to put the dogs' ever increasing pile of stuff away neatly. We think nothing of travelling for hours to take them to a dog meetup on the weekends when we don't even have time to get our grocery shopping, laundry and home maintenance done (for those of you pining for a house with a big yard, um, there will also be more work and maintenance to tend to - making the yard safe for the Shibas is another whole expense list). We also had to buy a new vacuum to deal with the dog hair and last, but certainly not least, we used to travel for vacation but now we stay home because nobody else ('cept maybe some of you) would take care of them in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • I feel you guys on your posts. We definitely have moved things in our house around our little guy.
    Just to add a few:

Mori sits and stares at us when we are eating at the dinner table, kinda like "Hey, I'm not sitting there with ya, are you not seeing something wrong with this situation!" and after studying us for sometime, he has decided he wants to eat from a spoon as well.
    When we spoon his food into his bowl, he prefers eating the food from the spoon. So sometimes we indulge him and feed him like a baby.

I apologize to him when we have to wash his favorite chew toy. He then tries to leap onto the drying rack (where it's being sunned to dry) to get it back. It happens to be a stuffed toy cat, and it really is just a matter of time before he realizes our neighbour has a real life one just on the other side of the fence! Ah well, that cat better not be stealing fishes out of our pond anymore.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Our lives have been forever changed because of adding our lovely Shiba to our family. It seems like Kira is in charge of our household, maybe?... Well, you be the judge:

Kira gets scrambled eggs with her kibble on Saturday mornings...

My favorites have bed privileges...

We sleep in on the weekends...

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • tatonkatatonka
    Neither of us own each other, but Tatonka more or less has to do everything I really need him to do. That's the price he pays for not having a g-ddamed job or paying the rent.

He's fine with it though. He gets lots of unwanted hugs and petting.
    Monkey!
  • amtiamti
    I have a whole freezer of raw food for my dogs. And in the frig freezer, there is probably more dog food than human food. I have a section in the frig for dog food too. We tend to eat out more or have light dinners because with just two people in the house, it is easier not to cook. But for the dogs, I actually think about their meals and take the time to cut up, individually freezer, store, and defrost their foods. I also have to order a month in advance and buy in bulk (30-60 pound cases), so it requires a lot of planning and work. I have a special cutting board for their meats and special plates I use to freeze cut up meats. After they are done eating, I wash their bowls immediately so they'll be dry for the next day, but the human plates will sit in the sink until nighttime. My dogs are eating really well... my husband comments they are eating better than us.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)