For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
If I didn't have a shiba, I'd have a...
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Shar Pei or Chow Chow
  • nobunobu
    Alaskan Klee Kai / mini husky. I was thinking of getting an AKK before adopted a Shiba but it is hard to find one here.
  • knnwangknnwang
    The English Foxhound, the American Foxhound, or possibly a sight hound such as a Greyhound or Lurcher.
    Post edited by knnwang at 2015-08-30 21:44:03
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • OrangeOrange
    Well we have Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound) and always will. I would love to have a shikoku but considering they are fairly close to Shiba I will pretend Japanese spitz dogs do not exsist.

We would probably have a Klee Kai or a English Bull Terrier. Maybe a Keeshound, maybe a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, maybe a Swedish Valhund. Idk. I have always admired Huskies, but my big dog space will be forever taken by my beloved Borzoi. So I would want a smallish compact dog that would enjoy sports, hiking, potentially frisbee, fetch, would tolerate water, cold, snow... ect for vacation and outdoorsey purposes. I would need to do more research but something that looked wolf or fox like, primitive. I am not sure if a stubbed legged dog could be active enough for us. I am not sure if the bull terrier would be a good personality fit for us, they are beautiful in my opnion though.

I really like the idea of the KK. However I would want a true mini husky, maybe KK will eventually develop into that. However right now they are long and lanky, and their personalities seem to be lacking. Everyone I meet is really yappy, bitey, trys to herd (were the heck does that come from?), and very nervous, and acts a lot like chihuahuas. I wonder what they have been crossed with to make them small.... they don't act like huskies at all from what I have seen.

No cutesy impractical just for your lap, ankle bitting yappers. ;) Even though my first love was a yorkie.

All that being said, I would never want to support a BYB, or unethical breeding but I thunk a KK/Shiba cross or Husky/Shiba cross might be pretty awesome. I have seen some videos and pictures of said mixes and they are pretty darn cute and seem to generally have nice personalities. I even saw one that looked like a wolf marked shiba. I would never buy one though.
    Post edited by Orange at 2015-12-18 18:18:24
  • When we were thinking about what breed we wanted to get, someone suggested to us the Finnish Spitz as it looks very similar to the Shiba. They are really gorgeous dogs and while the Shiba appeals to us more (plus the Finkies have a tendency to bark a lot) that's probably what we'd get if we weren't set on having a Shiba. I do like Alaskan Klee Kais as well. Later in life we're interested in getting a bigger dog, either a Husky, Tamaskan or Alaskan Noble Companion dog. I do worry about being able to tolerate other dogs because I'm used to how clean the Shiba is :P
    Post edited by Biohazardia at 2016-11-06 21:25:58
  • A whole lot of cats, probably.
  • Always wanted an Irish wolfhound. But they are giants! I also am partial to huskies, aussies, border collies - apparently anything with a high energy level :P A Shiba is the smallest dog I would ever consider though. My family fostered an Eskimo once, she was sweet but a little crazy, my Shiba reminds me of her in a lot of ways.
  • ObizaObiza
    I'm with @spacedogs! We did come really close to getting a retired Alaskan Klee Kai from a breeder before Rusty came along but she gave her away before we made it. Both my husband and I love huskies but we agreed they're a bit too much of a dog for us. Finkies are beautiful but if there's one thing I love about Rusty it's that he's not a barker. I really love Samoyeds - they always look so happy! But the hubby says that's too much hair! Silly him, we ended up with a dog that sheds 24-7 on everything anyway. :P

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)