For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
If I didn't have a shiba, I'd have a...
  • AraksAraks
    @Juni I'm pretty sure there is a Finnish Kai breeder. She's on the nihon ken side of the forum. Her username is MirkaM.
  • JuniJuni
    I've looked at her website earlier but couldn't find it lately and I'm not sure how active she is in breeding either.
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Ya know, now that I have a shiba, I can't imagine having anything else. Buuut if they really didn't exist, maybe a bulldog or a pug. I love the mushy facessss! And the pug will still have the curly tail. Awww now I want a pug someday. T^T
  • RikkaRikka
  • DabishDabish
    A doberman (what my next big girl dog will be once I'm paying my own bills and live in a house with a yard)
  • HirokiHiroki
    Would love shar pei but would be worried about a dog that is prone to so many health issues. Had a (deaf) dalmatian as a child and she was awesome, if a bit of a nutter, but I would definitely be up for another one. Again though the health would be a concern... Apparently I just like unhealthy dogs!
  • knnwangknnwang
    A Red Tail Hawk. I think it would be fun to learn Falconry and train a bird of prey.
  • alisuunalisuun
  • NahatalieNahatalie
    I can't remember if I've commented here or not...can't find anything.

I'd have a Scottish Deerhound. Beautiful in their own shaggy way, just completely enormous!
  • AvehAveh
    I would get a Shikoku ken or another nihon ken.

I've yet to find a Western breed that satisfies the following: no doggy smell, does not drool, not too big, not too small, not yappy, and... is also cute or handsome in some way!
  • tatonkatatonka
  • LaRen616LaRen616
  • SayaSaya
  • glitchglitch
  • AvehAveh
    Is it just me or do Finnish Lapphunds look like long haired B/T Shibas?
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2014-01-12 13:53:28
  • JuniJuni
    A lot of people ask me if Juni is a Finnish Spitz. Or a Norwegian Buhund. Both are bigger and fluffier than Shibas though.
  • Is it bad to admit that I'm not really a dog person? I just love shibas. Shh, don't tell anyone. ha ha...Seriously, though, I just love the breed. They are so smart, so clean, so strong, and so protective. I can't imagine finding another breed that could live up to a Shiba. I'd probably get a poodle, but I wouldn't give it a goofy hair cut (poor poodles!).
  • Decent night's sleep and a social life. =)

Seriously no Shiba? Probably a bulldog since they are lazy and I am reluctant to get a high energy dog again.
  • wufanwufan
    Akita or Samoyed

I definitely go for primitive dogs

• I don't have my shiba yet! ( Hopefully by the end of April!) but if I couldn't get one I would get a Husky, lab, or a border collie.
  • Being this is my first shiba I can't think of getting any other breed. But if it came down that I had to it would be a Chow Chow.
  • Post edited by curlytails at 2014-02-17 15:14:37
  • I'd love an Egyptian Pharaoh Hound, Saluki or a Besenji, but I'm a snow dog/Spitz lover at heart. So others include Alaskan Klee Kai a.k.a. mini husky. Alaskan Malamute, Great Pyrenees,Norwegian Elkhound and maybe a German Shepherd if I want a dog who will listen to me haha

Post edited by ShibaMadness at 2014-02-17 15:49:31
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Post edited by poltergeist at 2014-02-18 05:55:03
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • snh2001snh2001
    Weimaraner!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • millerb7millerb7
    I'd say a Kai probably since I've only recently learned of the breed.

I'm done though as I have a 13 month old and a 10 week old Shiba. Not sure my sanity could handle any more lol.
  • Well I would love to have a pit bull and and am akita but I already have one of those lol also I would love to have an basenji. Lol I just need a bigger house all together.
  • Post edited by bonniegibbons at 2014-06-22 14:47:43
  • Popcorn523Popcorn523
  • Actually I couldnt decide between Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and Shiba Inu when I started to do research last year so I would have went with the Pembroke.
  • RikkaRikka
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • Grigor92Grigor92
    I'd probably choose between either Akita or German Shepherd and a long shot would be a Doberman
  • Kit_Keet_Kit_Keet_
    @bonniegibbons, I LLLOOOVVVEEEE Wolfhounds, I would kill to have one, but unfortunately sassy shiba here has serious issues with dogs who are larger than she is. That being said, the husband and I just had a chat the other night, and we have agreed that within the next 5-7 years I can have my wolfie puppy! I'm actually a little surprised at the number of people I've stumbled across on this forum who have had wolfhounds.

Also, Zak was beautiful, and 11, that is awesome!!!
  • kirjohkirjoh
    I've always wanted a husky, and I love cavalier King Charles spaniels.
  • I would love to own:
    - husky
    - alaskan klee kai
    - german shepherd
    - pitbull
    - english bulldog
    - boxer
    - greyhound
    - mastiff

I need to move to a farm...
  • Our next dog is definitely going to be a Tibetan Spaniel. We have puppy play dates with a real nice lady who has a Berner puppy and a 4 year old Tibetan Spaniel, and I've been researching them like crazy, because I'd never heard of them... so far it seems like they have similar temperaments to Shibas, except they love cuddling.

The extended list:
    Tibetan Spaniel
    Skye Terrier
    Irish Wolfhound
    Basset Hound

Depending on how each of these goes, I'd get 2 or 3 of each - shiba included! ;)
  • LaRen616LaRen616
  • koyukikoyuki
  • koyukikoyuki
  • Atlus2015Atlus2015
    Samoyed for me!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)