For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
If I didn't have a shiba, I'd have a...
  • KimbaKimba
    Well, naturally assuming I would still have my beloved Miniature Pinschers and Italian Greyhounds, of course...I would definitely have a Schipperke, if Shibas weren't an option.

The other breeds that might tempt me are the Siberian Husky, the Basenji, and the Boston Terrier. And I think Clumber Spaniels are rather gorgeous. :-)
    Post edited by Kimba at 2012-05-09 22:09:58
  • hkfirewolfhkfirewolf
    Post edited by hkfirewolf at 2012-05-02 21:27:08
  • Hir0Hir0
    I would probably get a shikoku, kai ken or a siberian husky. This is of course if money and space were not a factor. Hopefully one day i will have one of those as well. The kai ken has really grown on me as of late
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
  • GatsuGatsu
    At the time that I got a Shiba, my 2nd choice was a Corgi. Now my choice would be a Pug.
  • konpeitokonpeito
  • bds2000bds2000
    I'd have a sane household :-) jk. I would probably own an Akita.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • RyanRyan
  • Japanese Akita Inu ;)
  • chelley3chelley3
    I will always love the easy-going attitude of a Golden Retriever, but since I live in an apartment, it wouldn't be fair to have a dog that size in an apartment. For those moments when I feel I need protection, I want a German Shepherd. I used to like Shih Tzus but after hearing one that barked at every little thing in someone's house, I stopped considering them as a pet.
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
  • KimbaKimba
    Oh wow, @shibamistress , you're getting a Kai Ken on Sunday? Exciting! How old? Bitch or dog? All together with Bel, Toby and Oskar, you will have your hands full. :-)

So if not the Shiba, which one of the Nihon Ken breeds would everyone go for? I am really drawn to Hokkaido. I also really love Akita Inu (as well as the American Akita).
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2012-05-05 15:40:11
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • KitsuKitsu
    I'd have a mastiff!!
  • a Samoyed. Grew up with one. Nicest fluffiest dogs ever
  • KitsuKitsu
    Samoyed was my first choice over shiba (Before I actually knew more about the Shiba, Shiba is my favorite now obviously) . Sammies are too big for my apt :/
  • kirjohkirjoh
    A kooikerhondje! Or a husky.
  • RyanRyan
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • SayaSaya
  • InoushiInoushi
    If I didn't have a shiba, probably a working line german shepherd.

@shibamistress you are so lucky, I always wanted a kai ken, I've known about them since I was a little girl, never got to meet one in real life. I thought getting one would be near impossible, so I got a shiba (not that I regret it), guess I was wrong since I keep seeing them pop up in the forum.
  • wliu003wliu003
    I would probably adopt a pitbull from the shelter. There's just so many in need and they really are great dogs. Every single one that I've met has been sweet and friendly. Especially my roommates pitbull in college.

The pitbulls I've met have submissive personalities which might actually pair well with my Shiba's personality lol.
  • catloreecatloree
  • BootzBootz
    Shetland sheepdog! Was our first choice before Shiba, but went with Shiba. :)
  • BootzBootz
    x.x
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-05-04 20:50:33
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    BORZOI!!! Although I have seriously been considering a great pyr when we purchase a home in the country in a few years.
  • NekopanNekopan
    Ask me what breeds I wouldn't like to own. :)

Seriously, I love most dogs. I wouldn't own a Maltese, and I try to stay away from the super unhealthy breeds.
  • EthosEthos
    I most likely won't have any other dog. I never wanted a dog until I got obsessed with the shiba breed. So it is my 1st and only dog. If no shiba i will stick to the cats.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
  • RydensMomRydensMom
    I'd have a French bulldog, or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
  • shibacookieshibacookie
  • KimbaKimba
    @Nekopan , that IS a good question! :-)

Me, I would never want a Border Collie, a Tibetan Terrier, a Havanese, a Bichon Frise, a Lowchen, a Japanese Chin, a French Bulldog, a Bearded Collie, a Rottweiler, a Dandy Dinmont, a Schnauzer, a Pug, a Hungarian Puli, a Shih Tzu, a Lhasa Apso, or a Poodle.

I must sound horrible and hateful. But that's a rather incomplete list of breeds that are just not my cup of tea. :-/
    Post edited by Kimba at 2012-05-09 22:07:36
  • LaRen616LaRen616
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • koyukikoyuki
  • RikkaRikka
  • KimbyKimby
    For outside funsies, an Alaska Malamute. For inside speed bump, & to hold down the carpets, an ex-racing greyhound. :)
  • kalicokalico
    Dobermans for me!
    I have 2 and they're my favorite breed along with the shiba. I do Doberman rescue so I've been around a ton of them and haven't met one I didn't love!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • Id have a hound. Im particularly fond of the Basenji and was all lined up to get one until I suddenly met my Shiba rescue Tobi and fell in love. Id also love to have a Ridgeback, Whippet, Black and Tan Coon Hound, or Min Pin. I love those little Min Pins!!
  • BootzBootz
  • JuniJuni
    @rikka yes you can't just mention it like that!!! I am so jealous right now!!!!
  • tatonkatatonka
  • RikkaRikka
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • JuniJuni
    I would love to have a Kai Ken but there are no breeders in Sweden, I think the nearest one is in Germany (?). So now I've started looking into the ancient Swedish breeds instead because I do love the spitz type and the primitive breeds. The Swedish lapphund is quite interesting:

and it is about as common or rare as Shibas in Sweden, there's quite a few breeders actually. I worry it will bark a lot though. And I know my partner is set on a second Shiba so I'm not sure I can convince him.

These are all the Swedish breeds, (some I've never ever seen) http://www.skk.se/Global/Dokument/Hundrasguiden/Svenska-raser.pdf

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)