For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
If I didn't have a shiba, I'd have a...
  • Assume shibas don't exist (I know, the world would be missing something special!). What kind of dog would you have? Also assume you have unlimited space (for people like me who live in an apartment and for that reason a large dog wouldn't be so practical).

I'd probably have a golden retriever or yellow lab, or a husky. However, I have a feeling that my next dog (I know, Dexter's a bit young to start having those thoughts!) will be another shiba. I'm thinking Dexter would love to have a little sister!
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 11:00:37
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I'd have a Finnish Lapphund - they are simply beautiful. I live in the south, so it's really not practical, but that would be the dog.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • atlasatlas
    I'd have a different NK...probably a JA or a shikoku. I probably will decide to make that jump later in life...but that'll be a few years down the road.
  • ...a pool full of shark's with frickin lasers on their heads.
  • jujeejujee
    I'd definitely have a different NK. My interest lies in a Kai Ken atm and hope to get one in about 2 years when I'm ready to add another dog :]
  • curlytailscurlytails
    ... I'd have a basenji. Oh wait, we got one of those too! ;)

I think the Shiba is the perfect size for a dog. Of all the NK, I'm most drawn to Shiba. Akita are too large for me, and while some of the others are beautiful, they're too rare, I think, for me to feasibly think about getting one. Maybe if I chanced upon a rescue.

I'm also quite willing and hoping to open my home to a tugou (see the "Is this a cream shiba?" thread...). It seems like every time I go back to Taiwan, I end up befriending another street dog because I miss the company of my own pets so much. But I really can't take in another dog at time, let alone an imported one...

I'm generally drawn to medium-sized spitz types, sighthounds, and pariah dogs. I'd love to adopt a Greyhound or Whippet someday. Dream of adopting a Saluki perhaps, though they seem harder to come by.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • emmyemmy
    If money and space were no object, I'd have a German Shepherd or an Akita. I like having home-owner's insurance I can afford, so I ruled out both breeds. :) Plus they wouldn't fit well in my coupe. A husky would also be good.

Considering the size of dog I wanted...the shiba is SOOOO perfect. But maybe a small American Eskimo or Schipperke? The personality of the Manchester Terrier would probably be good for what I want, but I don't like really short fur as much because I like vacuuming ALL THE TIME. (And the longer, softer fur is better for petting!)

This is a really interesting question....I'm eager to see what people will say!
  • Kuro_KaiKuro_Kai
    Akita or Husky
  • I'd have an Akita, but, yeah, I already have one!

I like the NK best (I'm starting to get bitten by the Kai bug), but I am interested in Basenjis too. I wanted a JA for a long time and was first going to get a JA instead of the AA I have, but now that I have my AA I wouldn't trade him for the world--he has the BEST temperament and is so easy to train! So I'm thinking it's likely go to be Shibas and Akitas for me now, though like I said, a Basenji could tempt me.

Or a terrier....I'm fond of Westies....and fox terriers....
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I'd have either a golden, GSD, or a blue merle australian shepherd.
  • Dog hair free house. lol
    Post edited by shredi knight at 2010-10-23 21:48:07
  • we would probably have an akita, or a boxer, or a great dane, or a siberian husky, or a german shepard, or a malamute, or a mutt.... our list could go on and on. lol. :D
  • kaseykasey
    akita or border collie most likely
  • TortieTortie
    Interesting topic!

Well, I would say an Australian Shepherd but I've already got one of those (hehe). Funny enough, it was between an Australian Cattle Dog and a Shiba when I first started looking (two completely different breeds, I know). Obviously, you know which won out and I couldn't be happier with my choice (and my Emi!).

I'm quite fond of Akitas too (American in particular). I would have loved to have gotten one but I just didn't think it would be practical for me (to accompany me wherever I go, being that they're so big).
  • hwebb10hwebb10
    samoyed!!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Shibamistress, if the right Basenji comes along to finally tip you over the edge, you gotta let me know. ;)

I used to think "Ack, terrier!" but now I've got a soft spot for some kinds, specifically Welsh and Fox Terriers, due to the older Welshie we often dogsat (before he passed away a couple months ago... we miss him a lot). I've met a lot of Westies (another very popular breed in Taiwan), and they always seemed so... macho. Exuding excess terrier confidence, and always eager to hump Bowdu.

I find it interesting that a lot of Shiba owners are also interested in Huskies and Malamutes. I'd put that on my list of other breeds to consider (specifically an older rescue, as I don't think I could deal with their youthful energy levels), but definitely NOT as long as I have Bowdu. He HATES Huskies and Malamutes for some reason.
  • InoushiInoushi
    If shiba's didn't exist, I would probably have a GSD or a Wolfdog. Kenshin likes GSD a lot, so I think that will probably be Kenshin's buddy, when we move out on our own. Though I have always loved Kai Ken, I learned about them long before Shiba. Hopefully when my career takes off, I can afford to import one, lol though that wont be for a long time coming.
  • I would get a Pibble! I can't get enough of them. Plus, Jiro is head over heels in love with them.
    Post edited by CheerandJiro at 2010-10-24 03:42:22
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    if I didn't have a Shiba I'd have a....Shikoku or be involved in Rottweiler/Doberman rescue. I love me those dogs!

Jesse
  • sunyatasunyata
    First off... I would have a vacuum cleaner that did not hate me...

But I would probably have a Kai or Shikoku... And maybe a Malamute or some sort of Shepherd.

There are lots of breeds that I would love to get involved with. I need more land. And a bigger house. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • If we lived in a world without shibas, I'd probably have a Hokkaido, a Pumi or a Kuvasz, just love the fur on the two last ones.. so fluffy. Or maybe I'd just settle with a cat.. or ten.
  • I'd probably get a rhodesian ridgeback! Or a wolf-hybrid. My neighbor in Connecticut had one roaming on his 4 acre farm and it looked AWESOME.
  • bobc33bobc33
    An American Eskimo. My firends recently got one and my two Shibas play with him all the time. The Eskimo seems very much like the Shibas, but with the added bonus he is much more trainable. He actually comes when called and knows what NO means! Imagine that.
  • starrystarry
    presa canario, just joking
    I'd have nothing, the shiba is exactly the right size, temperament, and energy level.
    they keep me on my toes just enough to always be entertained and they are a challenge but I am so much more stubborn.
    However, I don't think I could ever have a shiba puppy again (unless I could find a way to not work for the first year and a half of its life) I would always try and rescue a decently stable adult dog
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    I'd love to own a Presa! ;o)
  • This is a house of nothing but pound puppies till the very end. That means mostly pibbles, or special needs dogs. Our shiba Moto actually came from the pound in NYC.
  • camodudecamodude
    @ shredi knight -Dog hair free house. lol
    Haha great answer.

If we were not getting a Shiba my husband would want a yellow lab. I would want more cats. However, I do find the Icelandic sheepdog interesting.
  • I would want a husky or a corgi
  • Ohhh Corgis! I love corgis! My husband really likes them too, party because of Cowboy BeBop. If we ever got a corgi, my husband says we would get a red male and name him Ein. :D
  • SayaSaya
    I love Ein he's so cute! lol

If there was no shiba I would have gotten either a husky, shikoku, a mix, or basenji.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • HamletHamlet
    West Highland White Terrier. Such fiesty dogs!! I grew up with one and we were going to get one before we found out about Shibas. I need my dog to have smarts and a personality - and be a bit stubborn!
  • I would have to say i would have a yellow lab as well... a couple of years from now, i'm getting a cream frenchie so ari can have a playmate :] what an odd couple that will be!
  • ncieloncielo
    I love shibas already. It would be a month in one more week since Niko first came and I love the breed already. The looks, the attitude, the quick-wittiness, they are just an all around perfect match for me. If I didn't have a shiba however and I guess out of all the dogs out there I would have to have an alaskan malamute.
  • Hmm

1st option would be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    2nd option would probably be an American Pit Bull Terrier
    Post edited by frank the tank at 2010-10-25 20:33:36
  • Jindo!! Great dogs, Shiba like, little bigger, probably a better guard dog than Shiba, but just as tidy, smart, and quick mind VERY loyal (& stuborn catlike)...I am interested in Shikoku, but have never met one - they sound awesome from what I've read.

Soft spot for GSD's as we always had them growing up...but think I'm a spitzy type for life now...
  • Hmmm, this is hard. I like corgis, french bulldogs, greyhounds and chows are so beautiful! Kinda a diverse group...
  • german shepperd or akita for me. I had both when I was younger, but would glady have them again!
  • CaliaCalia
    After having Tikaani, I would definitely get another Sibe or a Shikoku if shibas didn't exist...I would also consider Saluki, ex-racing greyhound, a mutt, Basenji and quite a few other breeds
  • DjinnDjinn
    I love Bernese Mountain Dogs, but I don't know if I could cope with the short life-expectancy.http://sopheliajapan.blogspot.com
  • mattzmattz
    Rhodesian Ridgeback! Extremely intelligent and almost care-free grooming :D
  • LosechLosech
    Hmm, I got a Shiba because my apartment complex doesn't allow Akita Inus, Malamutes, Siberian huskies or German Shepherds (because they are "mean") so if I had my own house I'd get one or all of those XD. Oh, and a Border Collie because they are awesome, or maybe a Schipperke? If I was real good with dogs (better than now) then I'd get a Shikoku or possibly even a Karelian Bear Dog. Can you tell I like Spitz types?
  • if I didn't have a Shiba, Id have a . . . Lot more money!
  • Lol @ "more money"

If space was no issue I'd have a Malamute.
  • I second Kiro_Kai.....aikta or husky for me!
  • I think huskies are adorable, but in reality I would get a lhasa apso (my mom has one), my husband on the other hand would want to get "a real dog", aka larger, he considers labs to be medium dogs! So he would want either a lab or an akita.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • JudyJudy
    Koji's mom - I'm glad someone finally mentioned the jindo! Me too! They are like the shiba in so many ways, but yet different. LAPD brought two jindo pups over from Korea to see if they are trainable for police work.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/07/world/la-fg-korea-jindo-dogs-20101107
  • I just saw a basenji in the dog park and got so excited. They're really neat and I'm starting to really want one!
  • *grins at Gabi*

They are very neat. I think we lucked out with a very sedate Basenji, but they're also reputed to be personality-laden dogs.

I think of Basenjis as more "impish," whereas Shibas as more "devilish." Though I may amend this broad generalization if I think of a better description.
  • CurlyTails - I've run into two Basenjis in my travels around the neighborhood. They're so adorable! One of the owners mentioned that there's a rescue organization here in Oregon. I'll have to look into this. I'm in doggy love...now just to convince the dog dad.
  • KM, the national organization is BRAT - Basenji Rescue and Transport (http://www.basenjirescue.org). They're extremely well organized, with chapters in every state/major region. I think some states like California and Colorado have additional, non-BRAT Basenji rescues. Not sure about Oregon.
  • I would have a pitbull!!! I can't get enough of them!!! I've never had a bad expirence with them....they have abad wrap but they are big goofy babies!!!!

I would also an Irish Wolf Hound!!!! I love them!!!!

There are so many more I would have those are two of my top 100 list haha....i also need a bigger house and more land!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)