For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Is he eating enough???
  • IchigoIchigo
    Ichigo is 10 weeks old now. He's been eating around 2/3 cups per day of Orijen puppy kibble mixed with some Innova small bites kibble (to firm up his poo). He seems to enjoy it, but I feel like he's not eating enough compared to the suggested servings. He has plenty of energy though. We tried mixing it with warm water, yogurt, and salmon oil (all separately). He'll lick all the yogurt off without eating the kibble. Do you think he's eating enough? How much should he weigh approximately at this age? How much do/did your shiba pups eat at this age?
  • atlasatlas
    I don't know if you have read the other threads (I have mentioned this before). If you have, I apologize for repeating myself...but Mitsu was a really picky eater around that age and I couldn't get her to eat the recommended amount at all. I'm not sure what Orijen/Innova recommends, but I think that Wellness was something like a cup and a fourth (to be increased to a cup and a half at 12 weeks). I was lucky if I could get Mitsu to eat a whole cup. I was really concerned because of how important nutrition is for puppies...even though Mitsu did have energy and regular bowl movements, I didn't want her to potentially have any issues down the line. I tried a lot of different things - warm water, sprinking beef liver treat bits on the kibble, salmon oil, throwing her food to make it fun, etc...but none of it would work. Finally I started incorporating raw, and she would go crazy for the raw, but she'd always eat it around the kibble. So I switched her to primal raw premade formula, at about 12 weeks old. She has had duck and lamb and seems to love both.

I'm not sure how you feel about raw, but if nothing else is working, it is a pretty good option. I don't even need to worry about timing Mitsu's feedings anymore, because she will eat it all immediately. She gets so excited for her food, she spins in circles, and she licks the bowl clean. We now feed raw to Kratos as well. And I'm glad that Mitsu WAS so picky, because otherwise, I probably wouldn't have made the switch, and my other dog would still probably be on his awful, super crappy science diet (I lament the six months he was on it).

Anyway, I definitely understand the concern. Shibas can be picky eaters!
    Post edited by atlas at 2010-10-20 00:34:03
  • Alex575Alex575
    I'm having a similar problem with Monju, although I think it had more to do with nerves than anything else. In the past two days she's been eating a lot better then when I got her last Wednesday.

She's about 9 1/2 weeks old and she wasn't eating nearly as much as the recommended servings, and I'm feeding her Orijen Puppy and was mixing it with Royal Canin from the breeder. The first day I just left the bowl out and she just sort of nibbled every now and then, but didn't finish hardly anything. And then I tried some of the suggestions like warm water, chicken broth, and even mixing with wet food but that got a so-so response.

I read on a previous thread about atlas having the same issue with Mitsu, and how switching to the primal premade raw fixed that problem and now Mitsu goes crazy at meal time (thanks for the tip atlas!), so I asked my vet about raw feeding. My vet said that she gives her dog "Stella & Chewy's," which is another brand of premade raw and comes either frozen or freeze dried patties.

So I found a bag on Amazon, the freeze dried "duck duck goose" formula, and decided to give it a try. For tonight's dinner I gave Monju a little of the "Stella & Chewy's" mixed in with the Orijen Puppy, with just a few drops of warm water (to reconstitute the freeze dried food, but could be served without) and she went nuts! She actually ate with such fervor that she was licking the bowl afterward. She NEVER did that with just the kibble! I even gave her a second helping and she gobbled that up, too.

Anyway, it was a relief to see Monju really enjoying her meal. I'm still going to feed a mix of kibble and Stella & Chewy's, though, until I can switch to it entirely.
  • Yeah I saw the previous thread on raw food (Thanx atlas!) and the trainer Mori is with also recommended it so we tried putting in some raw food with his kibble. Our dear friend Mori went nuts for the raw, and spat out the kibble. So all this while, he's been eating to survive, while really hating the kibble.
    Can you say picky eater?
    We're slowly trying to introduce some chicken bones so he can get some calcium and let the chewing clean his teeth too, and our vet also recommended a bit of vegetables in the mix so we've been adding in small portions of steamed pumpkin, broccoli and carrot cut into tiny pieces and Mori eats them up very happily.
    We also give him a little teaspoon of yoghurt twice a week as a probiotic to help with his digestion.
    He really loves apples, so we use bits of apple as a training treat sometimes.
    You can either go with premade which is more convenient or look up recipes online for preparing it yourself. There's a lot of literature on the proportion of meat vs other food to maintain, so do some research and decide on what's best for your little pup. :)
  • Kuro_KaiKuro_Kai
    At 10 weeks Kai was about 8 lbs. He seems to self regulate his food intake, some days barely eating 2/3rds cup all day. Other times he inhales 2/3rds cup of Before Grain Buffalo and starts kicking the bowl around looking for more.

One thing thing we've done to get him to eat more is take the 'dust' in the bottom of his treat bag and coat wet kibble with it. Any full size bits of cheese or treats he'll pick around. But when we do that, it's pure savage what he does to the food. He's even licked the bowl clean.
  • atlasatlas
    Yemyyoghurt & Alex 575 - I'm glad my tip was helpful, and I'm happy to hear that Mori and Monju are both enjoying their meals now! :)
  • IchigoIchigo
    Thanks for all your input guys, I'm will absolutely look into switching to raw... Now I just need to figure out what kind/brand, etc oh man...
  • jujeejujee
    Primal is a popular one that a lot of ppl use. Stella & Chewy's is another very good brand of raw, it is however more expensive. I do use the Stella & Chewy's freeze dried treats, Mika goes nuts for them. :)

I currently feed Mika OC Raw Dog brand for premade raw. Unfortunately, OC Raw Dog is a local company and they only sell in the OC area. :/
  • Kuro_KaiKuro_Kai
    Stella & Chewys also make something they call Carnivore Kisses. Basically cubes of 100% freeze dried meat (bison, beef, chicken and duck). When Kai has been very good we take one, shred it in a food processor and mix in with his kibble. The salmon oil we use with his dinner makes it stick pretty well.

Again, the results are Kai wolfing down his dinner and licking the bowl
  • SayaSaya
    Saya as a pup didn't eat the recommended amount though adding seameal and salmon oil helped some, but she had tons of energy so I didn't worry.

Orijen is pretty good stuff so maybe he doesn't need as much..

Saya is on raw diet since March 22 and she has done well. I fed her a pork shoulder last week and she at 17oz of it the next day she ate 14oz and the next 4oz and then she didn't want to eat after the day of not eating she just got her organ meal and a chicken foot.

Now she is back to being her picky self were she just eats 3oz to 5oz and sometimes 7oz a day..

Today she got two pork ribs little bit of deer loin, thymus and a little bit of liver. Yummy.. lol
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I am bumping this thread to get some input and advice.

Bear has never been food motivated. We have gone through lots of brands of foods trying to find one that works with his system (we had stool issues on higher protein foods) and that he will eat. For awhile, we found mixing in yogurt, egg, or canned food made the food more interesting.

So, Bear is now 16 months old and weighs in the neighborhood of just over 30lbs. We feed Taste of the Wild right now and still vary it with yogurt, egg, or canned Wellness Core food. We feed twice a day, so based on starting with the thought of 2 cups kibble, adjusting for training treats and additives, we aim for about 1.5 cups kibble/day for him.

Recently, Bear seems to skip lots of his meals though and sometimes two in a row. He still seems to have his energy, even yesterday at the dog lake he had lots of fun running with other dogs and prancing through the shallow water areas.

I have noticed that if I offer him food by hand he will reluctantly eat it.

How concerned should I be that he is skipping meals? I was very surprised I guess as last night, after he was a very good boy all day, we had even added canned sardines (in water no salt) as a food topper and he only ate maybe a fourth of the meal. So as I usually do I put it away and offered it this morning, he again really didn't eat anything.

Now last time he got canned sardines he gobbled up his food, so it isn't even this was a first time eating sardines. Also this is becoming more of a pattern to eat very little. I would say he is now maybe averaging a cup at best of kibble per day.

I am also concerned as I plan to try a raw diet, but I also can't leave his food out for him to graze as he ends up with resource guarding issues and my other boy then has to avoid the area to keep peace if we don't pick up the food.

I am in a quandry as to what to do, so any insights anyone has on very picky non-food motivated eaters would be helpful, in addition to handling feeding without allowing them to graze.
  • RAM25RAM25
    Snoz went off her food and turns out she has a stomach infection so just keep an eye on energy levels, stools to be sure it's nothing more serious. I ignored it thinking she was just fussy and now she's on antibiotics with a temperature through the roof :/
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Yeah, I plan to try watching him this week and determining if a trip to the vet is needed. He has always been a bit picky though with food so I don't know how concerned I should be. I don't know if some of this is arising from increased training classes during the week where he gets chicken and cheese as that is the best value thing I can use to convince him it is fun to train together.
  • amtiamti
    I don't think you're going to have a problem of grazing with a raw food diet. I think the rule of thumb is if you give a large portion of meat, then after 15 or so minutes, you are supposed to take it away and put it back in the freezer for another meal. If you portion your meat out into individual servings like I do, you'll most likely have nothing left over. It is also recommended if you go raw to fast the dog once a week or to skip a meal. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this though.

My Kaji also got the runs with a high protein content so I was mixing half puppy food with half adult food and he was okay. But he was a grazer. We made the mistake of keeping food out for him all day long, so he really never ate a full meal, but rather ate when he felt like it. I found out this wasn't a good method (although we did this with all our other dogs and never had an overweight dog). But more importantly, the cats were enjoying the dog food more than Kaji.

When we got Taisho, Kaji started to eat more and cleaned off his bowl. That lasted for a couple of weeks, and then Taisho would clean off Kaji's leftovers. Eventually, Taisho stopped gobbling up food and started leaving some behind as well. When Taisho went to live with my mom, Kaji started grazing again. We were doing raw periodically at night with the dogs and whenever they had a raw meal, nothing was left behind. The dogs really ate with joy and when they were finished, licked their bowls clean and looked around for more. Then Kaji started becoming disinterested in his morning kibble, and would just graze enough to keep from starving. He looks so forward to his dinner. He paces back and forth from the kitchen to my desk, will look at me and yelp when he gets hungry, he'll go into his crate and yelp, bring me his food bowl, etc... all sorts of hints. His little nose quivers, trying to sniff out what is for dinner each night. When I see the anticipation in his face, it makes it hard for me to go back to kibble. And I also find joy in seeing how excited he gets eating raw- it is so different than just eating kibble. I've also been giving chicken hearts as treats, which he loves. The downfall is that I have been washing my hands so much, they are becoming dry. I think Kaji is probably eating too much now but until the novelty of raw wears off, he may not slow down. He's still in the process of getting new meats every week, so he's loving it. Let me know how Bear reacts when you start raw!
  • amtiamti
    If you decide to stay on kibble, then what about feeding once a day instead of twice? Some dogs only need to eat once a day. How big is Bear? Mine are both under 25 pounds so unless Bear is a taller shiba, he may be getting a little more than enough food. I'm sure the extra treats in training class are ruining a little of Bear's appetite too.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    amti said:

If you decide to stay on kibble, then what about feeding once a day instead of twice? Some dogs only need to eat once a day. How big is Bear? Mine are both under 25 pounds so unless Bear is a taller shiba, he may be getting a little more than enough food. I'm sure the extra treats in training class are ruining a little of Bear's appetite too.

Bear is a bigger Shiba. He is 17-18 inches at his withers and about 32lbs last weigh in. He only gets significant training treats twice a week and those days kibble servings are reduced.

I hope when I do start raw he takes to it. I am concerned about his lack of interest in food even though he looks healthy and isn't overly skinny either.

• ArcticArctic
    If he is healthy and not overly skinny, why are you worried? What is the problem here? Some dogs are food motivated. That's relatively common.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Arctic said:

If he is healthy and not overly skinny, why are you worried? What is the problem here? Some dogs are food motivated. That's relatively common.

That is why when I bumped the thread I asked how concerned should I be that he skips meals and is eating probably only 1/2 to less of the recommended kibble amounts despite being an active dog. It does concern me that he skips lots of meals and recently even skipped two. The two he skipped in a row came at the end of a very active weekend and even had sardine toppings on it which in the past he loved.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    That sounds like a lot of food for a neutered Shiba. When they are hungry, they will eat, and it is totally normal for some dogs to skip meals.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • ArcticArctic
    I meant to say **not** food motivated in my last post. Sorry for the confusion.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Arctic, I did figure out what you meant :) I probably shouldn't worry too much when he does skip meals as long as he seems to not be too skinny.

As an athlete and wanting my dogs to be active I want to be sure they are eating the nutrition their bodies need, so when Bear is barely is eating 1/2 the recommended daily serving size I worry he isn't getting the nutrition he needs. While they do have a lot of rest time during the week when I am away working, they do run/jog/walk 45 minutes-hour almost every morning, they walk 30 minutes almost every evening, they go to formal training that includes agility at least once a week, they go to the dog lake to swim, they go to dog parks to play and when I am working my husband does take them outside to play ... so I believe they are more active than average.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @redcattoo - Remember that those serving sizes are just suggestions. Depending on the dog (genetics, metabolism, etc.) and the activity level, those serving sizes could be much smaller or larger.

And looking at your scheduled activities, it seems that Bear is less active than what I would consider average for his age. Just to give you an idea of what I feel is average for a young dog (less than three years old): Multiple walks per day totaling about 2-3 hours, formal activity (obedience training, agility, etc.) in the home totaling 30 minutes, play (mental and physical stimulation) totaling 30 minutes to an hour, other outside activity (leash activity, playing in fenced yard, dog park, etc.) totaling 30 minutes to an hour.

And yes, that is approximately 3.5 - 5.5 hours of stimulating activity per day. Not including formal activities away from the home (which will probably add in about 3-4 hours per week). Of course, as the dog ages, that activity level can (and most likely will) drop. My girls (almost 5 and 8) get about 3-4 hours of stimulating activity per day. The oldest (Bella, almost 8) eats about a cup of food a day. She is a good weight at 24 pounds. Nola (almost 5, major health issues) eats close to 3/4 cup a day and is a good weight at 20 pounds. They both are currently eating TOTW lamb.

My point is... If Bear is at a good weight and eats when he is hungry, then I say leave well enough alone. Some dogs (especially Shibas) are just not that into food. (which is odd to me, because I LOVE food!) Now if Bear started dropping weight and his activity level drops, I would worry and think about supplementing or taking a trip to the vet.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @sunyata, thanks for your insights, they do help. I don't know many people who have come close to doing as much as I do with my dogs while also balancing family and work, so I guess that is why I believe they do get a lot of activity. Now, if I could win the lottery, then they definitely would get everything you outline and more.

I know so many people who don't even walk their dogs more than a mile or two a couple times a day, don't do any formal training in house or out of house, and rarely if ever go to dog parks. And I am referring to people I know that have dogs under 2 years of age. A lot of people I meet (other than those active in dog sports) are always surprised by how much I do with my dogs.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @redcattoo - Wow... That surprises me. Most people that I know with younger dogs (and even older pups, too) are constantly on the move with them.

Granted, it is possible that I just know more active people than you, because of my lifestyle (I am an insanely active person, and most of my friends are as well... And in general, the people that I associate with are also very active, therefore, so are their canine companions). Granted, even in our neighborhood, the dogs are always out and getting stimulation for a few hours each day. Now, what the owners do outside of long walks, I can not say... But the dog owners that I know personally do activities with their pups that coincide with my list above, granted some a bit more, some a bit less.

ETA: I am no way implying that you are not an active person. I know how much you care about your dogs and want them to succeed in everything they do. But even normal active people are not quite as on the move as I am. So I apologize if that came out wrong. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-04-23 12:09:43
  • redcattooredcattoo
    :) No didn't come across wrong.

I have to work about 8-10 hours a day Monday-Friday and my work is 1 hour from my house (and no the dogs can't come to work with me), so Monday through Friday I have to be in the shower by 7am, off to work by 8am, and not home until usually after 6pm. My husband doesn't work, so my family is dependent on my income.

So of a 24 hour day Monday-Friday, 11 hours are not readily available for family (human or dogs), add 8 hours sleep, I am already down to only 5 hours in between everything that is even available. Of those 5 hours, I like to eat breakfast and dinner with my husband and give him a few moments, so now I am down to maybe 4 hours of which all those hours are usually somehow try to include the dogs whether it is walking, playing, relaxing, or training (at home or at a formal class) with or without my husband. There is just no possible way to sacrifice anything to get any more than 4 hours maximum and that is without me having me time, which is why I no longer am triathlon training or going to the gym as much as I enjoyed my 1-2 hour daily workouts they just don't fit with the dogs when needing to do biking or swimming workouts.

I am not home Monday-Friday, so I don't know what exactly my husband does, but I know he does tell me he does very short training sessions and takes the dogs outside during the day. I also know though he doesn't walk the dogs anymore than maybe a mile or so during the day. Part of that is the heat in Florida makes walking/playing for dogs difficult mid day if outside in summer. Typically, in the heat the dogs don't even like being outside in summer and tend to be much lazier and harder to convince to be active.

Weekends are a different story, 90% of whatever we do (other than errands and places dogs aren't allowed) the dogs go with us whether it is going to a park to walk, going to the beach, going to the dog lake, going to the dog park, going to formal training sessions, hanging out at the local agility trials, or just out to lunch at an outdoor place (if it isn't raining) ... in Florida the second issue to heat, is rain that can dampen any outdoor activity plans.

Additionally, I live in a very city oriented area of Florida, there are no big areas near me and people don't have acre yards or fenced in properties within at least 30 minutes or more of my area. Most of the people I know have jobs and families (kids included) and time just can be split only so far, so balancing husbands, work, kids, and the dogs in no way allows for them to spend upto 5.5 hours every day with just the dogs.

I can't imagine, and neither can most of my network of friends, having over 5 hours every day to be active with their dogs due to the obligations of life and family. This means a lot of their time with their companions is more relaxing around the house with a few walks during the early morning and later evenings when it is cooler out. I can only imagine being able to do what you do if I could be younger again without the responsibilities my work and family or I could win the lottery and be able to not need to work so much.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Haha. I definitely understand the time constraints. And being a single income household myself (it is just me and the pups) with a full time job and being a part time grad student, I know it can be hard. If you add in the responsibilities of my training (I am a cyclist that is working towards elite category), it can be tough, but it can be done. I guess it just depends on what is important to you as an individual and the activity needs of your particular pups.

For me, the pups get walked for an hour in the morning (Nola sometimes gets less, depending on how she feels). They also get about a half hour in the yard after they have their breakfast to sniff, chase bugs, and have stare downs with the neighbor cats. (This usually happens between 6:00 and 8:00.) I generally leave for work a few minutes after 8:00. Luckily I am able to come home for lunch, so the pups get a half hour jog during mid day (if the weather is agreeable, if not, we do some training or other brain stimulating activity either inside or in the yard). When I get home (which is a few minutes after 5:00), the pups generally get some more yard time and dinner. I usually have some sort of activity to do in the evenings (training rides, etc.), so I am gone for a couple of hours. The pups then get another hour to hour and a half walk in the evenings, plus some additional yard time. We also throw in some training and tug games before bed, too.

So, all in all, B&N get about 3-4 hours of 'active me' time each day, not including snuggle time before bed. It is a lot, but then again, I am not the type of person that sits down and watches television or just bums around. So, it is not that big of a deal for me that several hours of my day is spent doing some sort of activity with my pups. I also rarely ever get 8 full hours of sleep (oh my, where do you find the time for that!), so my night time routine is usually to be in bed close to sleep around 11:30 or so, and we are up around 5:30.

Sorry, this has gotten ridiculously way off topic... Haha. My apologies!

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • ArcticArctic
    I'm exhausted just reading about your schedule, @sunyata. I need a nap.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @sunyata, it is great you can work on your cycling. I envy the fact you are a household of yourself. I imagine if my husband wasn't in the mix maybe I could find another hour or so in my day. I would love to get back to doing my triathlons, I miss my training.

Unfortunetly due to my own health (hypothyroidism) my body usually demands lots of sleep even though with medicine my tests are now in range. This means 8 hours is a short sleep for me and physically could probably not operate on less for any extended period of time. Additionally, I don't have a yard that I can just let the dogs out in; therefore, I either have to be out watching them with their long lines attached or I have an extra 30-60 minutes to get to and from a place I can let them just run free.

I envy your work day being 8-5, that is 2 more hours you have in your day that I don't. I envy your sleep ability being only 6 hours, so that is 2 more hours you have in your day that I don't ... that 4 hours would be huge, but just not possible physically for me.

But yes, the thread is a little off track, just a little though as activity does feed into discussions on "is he eating enough".
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    Hey,

This sounds exactly like what I went through with Onyx when he first came home. He had soft poop for like two months, and never finished how much food the bag said to feed. We fed him blue buffalo wilderness puppy, and still do, and his poop just naturally got better after he got more comfortable with his new home, but it did take 2-3 months.

As far as the amount of food goes, Onyx eats a lot like people, some days he is hungrier than others. He is almost 9 months now and we give him a cup and a half of his high protein food a day, which is a lot like Orijen. Some days he eats all of it and asks for more, but most days he only eats about 1-1.25 cups. I have stopped worrying about it because he is perfect size/weight according to the vet and is always energetic and happy.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Okay, I have to presume Bear may have been feeling a little under the weather possibly earlier this week when I was concerned.

He is back for now to even eating his full kibble meal and actually has more energy in the mornings that he had earlier this week. My husband thinks it is because we did so much training and activities in a small window last week that he may have needed rest, plus one day we had gone to the dog lake, which treats the water to keep bacteria risk low, so he may have just ingested too much water while playing and felt a little off for a few days.

I am just glad he is back to eating fuller meals. It makes me also glad to see his appetite back as we are going to see if they will take to eating raw (prey model) starting this weekend. Bear seemed pretty interested this morning in the 10 lbs of chicken quarters I was portioning out for him and his brother.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    OMG, while I think Bear is doing okay now and back to eating, I just heard upsetting news from my friend with a young Standard Poodle.

At the same time I was concerned about Bear, her Poodle had also skipped a meal, then even though he ate the next meal he threw it up a few hours later, he then skipped a meal, and then ate the next and threw it up a few hours later ... she took him to the vet as skipping meals for him isn't common and the throwing it up was of course a concern even though she said he has been as active as always and looked healthy. While she hasn't given me a lot of details, she did text me that the vet believes he has liver issues. She doesn't know if it is something toxic he got into, genetic, or something else.

I hope what he has isn't serious, but I guess it has me worried that living on a golf course maybe something toxic they used on the golf course could be at play and if so, maybe I need to worry a little bit too about keeping Bear (and Tanjiro) off playing on the golf course and eating the grass when they go outside.

I guess though that is why we all worry about if our dogs are eating, how much they are eating, as it can be a sign of health related issues in some cases.
  • @redcattoo -I would keep them off if you can. We had a bout of stomach and itching issues once even though I walked the pup along a stretch of grass she normally walks and I would wipe her head to toe with baby wipes when we came into the house. It turns out that the church across the street sprayed not only their lawn, but the accompanying strip of sidewalk grass. Grooming herself after a walk and wipe was enough to get her sick. I can't imagine grass chewing would be good if you don't know what they're using.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)