For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Water In Crate.
  • Alex575Alex575
    I'm curious as to how many of you Shiba parents leave water in the crate for your babies after lights out?

I've been reading on another thread that most won't give water after a certain time because that will cause more middle-of-the-night bathroom trips. But i was reading a book on Shibas and it says to always have a bowl of water accessible to them day or night.

Since it was Monju's first night, last night, I didn't leave her water bowl in the crate, but I attached the small one that came on her travel crate to her den crate, thinking she'd drink if she was thirsty. But this morning it was pretty much full.

I did take her out to pee-pee at 2:30 am, but not because she was crying or anything; I had to go, so after I went (in the toilet, of course!) I figured she might as well go, too.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-22 16:36:17
  • lol must be warm there or you're very brave. 2.30am here is freezing. Last thing I'd plan to do is go outside... Having said that Im sure that will change once I get my baby :)
  • I have left water all night in the crate for both shibas from day one. At first I did have middle of the night trips (but Tidus was only 8 weeks so would have had to go out anyway). Now (and for a very very long time) they are both around a year and never need to go out in the middle of the night. A lot of times there is still a good amount of water still left over but at least it was there and available if they wanted it. This is just my take and experience.
  • When Tonka was a puppy I would pick up the water about 1 hour before we went to bed. would take him out if he cryed (very rare), plus i just dont think puppies need water if there tired and sleeping. If its really hot at night then i would say yes maybe.

I agree the colder it got outside the less I wanted to let him out. He now has access to water anythime and never wakes me up in the middle of the night to go potty, we go to bed around 10pm and I wake up at 4am.....
  • Alex575Alex575
    @chingaling
    we're in Los Angeles, CA, and even though it's a little overcast it still feels warm and muggy, lol. But yeah, once winter comes to town, which will probably be in Feb or March the way the weather has been around here, I won't want to go out in the cold either!

@eldredlm
    I think I'll do something in between like leaving a few ice cubes in her crate. That way if she gets a little dry, she'll have something to drink.

@whiteshibaowner
    that's good that your baby doesn't need to go potty in the middle of the night. I hope Monju will be like that when she gets older because right now she hasn't been going out too much late at night either.
  • tresetrese
    @chingaling i feel the same as u right now it's 10.50am and i'm freezing lol but things will change when my pup is here

@alex575 i too have read that some leave water and others don't i'm gonna just see how things go i'll leave a little water so if pup was to wake up thirsty then she could drink but won't leave too much that could make her go to toilet

does that make sense i can't tell this morning lol
  • SayaSaya
    Saya always has access to water except for her first week with me, but after that I'd take her in the mud room for one last drink before bed.

Now Saya has her own water bowl in my room so if she was thirsty she can jump off the bed to get a sip she's pretty good about holding it and if she needs to go out she'll whine.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Alex575Alex575
    @trese
    makes perfect sense to me. That's why I'm using ice cubes.

@Saya
    I'll probably do the same when Monju gets older.
  • devildevil
    toshi is a never ending drinking water machine.. haha! Initially we put water and we noticed he finished all over night.
    While we trying hard to house breaking him, we have decided to take off the water when we go to bed else he will wake up in the middle of night and drinking the water as if is beer.lol!
  • Alex575Alex575
    @devil LOL, how funny! He must be a thirsty boy!

I've been putting ice cubes in the little tray that clips to the crate but in the morning Monju hasn't drunk any of it (or very little), so I guess I can just take it away. She'll need to go at least once after bedtime but it's usually half-way through the night.
  • So Banjo is 8 months old and absent when he was sick hasn't had an in crate accident in months.

I've started leaving him in the crate longer and longer. For example, he used to be crated only 3 hours at a time when I got him (age of 4 months), but now I will crate him for 6 hours if I need to (he goes in empty bladder and fed... it's golf season and that's about how long I am out of the house for. I may or may not call his trainer for a walk depending on what we did that day/day before. I make sure he gets an off leash park trip at least once every 3 days. Ideally every other day. I don't want to over do it).

I feel like he has a good idea of bladder control at this point (he usually doesn't want to go on his 10:30 pm walk anymore and will just call it a night around 9:30 and then at 5:45 we wake up for the day).

Is it a good idea to get him a water bowl for his crate? If so, can you recommend one? His kitchen bowl is one of those large plastic jugs that auto fills the water bowl as he drinks. His "bedroom bowl" is about 1 cup and he rarely drinks out of it at night.

Thanks!

• sunyatasunyata
    @BanjoTheBetaDog - If you are crating during the day, then yes, you need to have water available to him.

There are tons of different types of crate bowls to choose from, and what you choose will be based upon your and your dog's tastes. Most people opt for the stainless steel bowls that hang from the side of the crate, but they also make plastic hanging ones as well. You can also opt to put whatever type of bowl you want on the floor of the crate if there is enough room.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • ArcticArctic
    I have a bottle water dispenser (like a hamster water bottle, if you will) in the crate. Sansa got used to it no problem. She's not crated anymore during the day, but I liked it for when she was since it was simple and mess-free.
  • NahatalieNahatalie
    We have a heavy earthernware bowl in the crate for when he's in his crate during the day, but we do take it up about an hour before we go to bed and he doesn't have it in there overnight.
  • Alex575Alex575
    @BanjoTheBetaDog
    I used one of the small stainless feeding bowls for water in the crate over-night, but it's been a while since I've done that. Monju is over 3-year old now and I don't have to crate her. She's graduated from the crate to the bedroom so when I leave I can leave her in the bedroom and it's like a giant crate for her.

I also bought one of those pet fountains, so she has access to water 24-hours a day, but she never drinks after bed time (I know because she sleeps on the bed).
  • I don't put water in puppy crates for overnight, because it doesn't help with housetraining at all. (They'll drink and pee!) Actually, when I think about it, I don't leave water in the crate overnight at all (my Akita girl is 8 months old and housetrained, finally, but still sleeps in her crate overnight). I don't really think they need it overnight....

But if you're leaving the dog in the crate during the day, probably yes. I have a giant crate downstairs where I leave whoever has to be crated (only the pup now). It's the size of an ex pen, so I have plenty of room to leave her water. It's just her regular water dish.
  • dougfoodougfoo
    Great thread folks -- I was debating this as well. I am in progress of potty training @ 11weeks now. I have a hamster style water feeder but I was wonder if she'll get confused when its there one hour and gone the next!

I had taken it away once before a trainer came so she woudn't pee while training, and she walked over to it drink and she looked puzzled as her mouth came in contact with... thin air. Lol

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)