For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • Yesterday we took Ari to the dog park for the first time! It didn't go to well. :[ She seemed to avoid other dogs and going on the grass. The only part she took a liking to was a little slab of concrete. Now, I know shibas are known to be "clean" dogs but i didn't think it would be bad to the point where she didnt want to step on grass. Also she started heavily foaming at the mouth. I was concerned about that. I was wondering if any of you guys had a similar situation.

I'll continue to take Ari to the dog park though, hopefully she'll get use to it.
  • Kuro_KaiKuro_Kai
    Foaming at the mouth? That's not normal. If it wasn't a medical reason for it i'd say she was scared witless. Which isn't good at all.

How old is she?
  • shes 4 months with all her shots. actually i'm really paranoid to and i read about it foaming at the month. Dogs that tend to be overly excited, overheated and what not tend to foam at the month because they're salivating and breathing hard all at once. I'm going to see how it goes again.
  • jujeejujee
    Which dog park did you take Ari to? (i believe u are in the OC area...)
  • CaliaCalia
    Often times, a first trip to the dog park is scary for any dog. I remember Tikaani's first time, he didn't want to leave our side and if he lost sight of us he would people hop until he was with us again. After a few visits, he began to open up and enjoy himself.

Foaming at the mouth can be a sign of major stress and shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't know how busy the park was when you went, but you may want to try taking Ari there during a time when it's practically dead (in most places it's usually during weekday evenings/business hours). Try to avoid going during the weekends and evenings, as that is usually when there are the most dogs there.

One thing you can do, if there is a place to do it, is play with her outside the dog park. Take her there but don't let her in, just let her observe the other dogs and reward her for not being fearful.
  • jujeejujee
    Did it look similar to this?

This is Kathy's Chibi, he does this quite often when we see him
  • Jujee I took her to the Fullerton do park. and Yes! that is exactly what it looked like.

It was quite busy. I think she must of been really scared. Thank you for the advice Calia! i will gradually expose her to different parts of the park. Yesterday i just took her in because she's usually not very shy with dogs. Hopefully she'll slowly but sure get use to it!
  • Not an unusual reaction for first time at a dog park (the foaming at the mouth). As others have suggested, expose her to the dogs and dog park slowly. I think there is a Shiba meetup in the area. You might want to join the Meetup and arrange playdates for Ari with other Shibas to gradually socialize her with other dogs.
  • SayaSaya
    I agree go when there's no dogs and gradually work it up it can be scary with a lot of dogs..

I took Saya and Bella to the dog park in the morning there were a few dogs, but they were leaving as we got there so the dogs had a chance to explore the area without being mobbed by a lot of dogs trying to greet all at once. We went again in the evening a few dogs there Saya hit it off pretty well.

Some dogs needs a bit more time to get used to it. Saya haven't been to a dog park at that age I just started recently and she is a year and 5months old.

I hope the next visit goes better if there is a shiba meet up that would be great.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    When we took Kuma and Kitsune to a meet-up at the end of Sept., we happened to notice that Kuma was foaming at the mouth a little. It wasn't very warm outside, upper 60's - lower 70's, so I don't think he was overheated from playing. He also seemed to be having fun since this was his third meet-up. The previous meet-up we went to the weather was in the upper 80's - lower 90's and he wasn't foaming at the mouth and it was only his only his 2nd meet-up. Kuma is a puppy mill rescue that is almost 2 years old and we have had since Dec. He is very shy and scared around people even on a leash, but off-leash he seems a bit better.
  • jujeejujee
    If you want you can go to the park and I can bring Mika to play with Ari. Just let me know what day and time. Monday and Wednesdays evening i have class.

If you have fb add me. jujeevu@gmail.com
    Post edited by jujee at 2010-10-12 18:12:06
  • That would be great! :] The weekends would probably be the best times because I work 2 jobs.
  • Kuro_KaiKuro_Kai
    If you're positive she's afraid of grass, you can also try getting her accustomed to grass before adding dogs into the equation.

Just find a grassy area, get her attention with her favorite treat / toy and toss it just far enough she has to put her front paws in the grass to get it. Keep doing that, adding a bit more distance each day as she seems cool with the idea. After a while she'll find herself in the grass. I had to do this with Kai and a crate bed. It was hilarious watching him try to stretch in without putting his paws on the bed to get a piece of chicken.

Now he conks right out at night on the bed in his crate.
  • chibichibi
    thanks julie, of sharing that lovely picture of chibi! haha. Trust me, his drool gets much worse.

I'm at the Fullerton Pooch Park every week, you should let me know when you go! I usually go Sunday afternoons. Afternoons-evenings are always crowded there though.

However, you should be careful at the dog park...first time I went, Chibi got growled at by a Pomeranian (who's name was Cookie & is a regular at the park) so he hid in a corner and would not come out at all. The dogs there can be a bit "too friendly" at first especially to a puppy but the owners are pretty good about keeping an eye on them.

Also, there is wood chip area that's available for dogs who aren't too social yet. You might want to check that out if nobody else is using it.
    Instagram: @kathyphi
    FB: www.facebook.com/the.chibi.inu
  • jujeejujee
    Haha! Kathy, I notice it only happens when he's at the dog park! I never saw it in class :P He just must be super happy to be at the dog park ;D
  • Yeah the park was pretty crowded when we went monday afternoon. I'm thinking about going on sunday actually because she has puppy classes in brea. Perhaps we can all have a meet up. Ari has only played with one other shiba before. :[

hahahahahha!! i saw Cookie there! yeah, that dog is pretty snappy. i'll be careful for that one ;]
  • nikiniki
    Katsumi does the exact same foaming thing as in the picture when she's at the dog park. Hers only happens after she's been running around with other dogs, though.
  • i took my shiba to the dog park for the first time yesterday. he seemed to do ok with the other dogs.. a lot of butt sniffing haha. i noticed that he was salivating a lot. he was foaming at the mouth like the posts above.. just drooling a lot. he didn't seem scared and was following other dogs around. would that be normal?
  • @duylocalmusic Dogs drool when they're very excited, or possibly anxious and nervous. Maybe its his way of handling the sensory overload due to all the buttsniffing. ;) He may not appear to be outright fearful, but it sounds like he is not accustomed to being around so many strange dogs at once. I would be vigilant and try to keep things under threshold, using some of the tips stated above.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • @curlytails: thanks for the info =)
  • RAM25RAM25
    Shinobi accidentally ingested faeces on our walk earlier and started foaming at the mouth like crazy! I've rather strictly kept her away from other dog business for obvious reasons, but this was hiding under a leaf and she was on it before I had time to react. Anyone else had this? I didn't know this could happen.
  • Roo was foaming at the mouth when we went to the dog park today. I normally keep her in the small dog area but the dogs in the larger area were playing well and I decided to take her in so she could run more. Apparently she was overwhelmed because she started tucking her tail a lot and then I noticed the foaming mouth so we left.
  • tatonkatatonka
    To the OP: Do you have any friends with dogs? How is your Shiba around them?
    Monkey!
  • Bumping this thread for more insightful things.

Taken Momo to the dog park twice now, and she's foaming at the mouth... and the second time seemed a lot worse. Although it was very busy today.

Momo, I now realized, sort of enjoys one-on-ones more with dogs she is introduced to, and sort of is more comfortable playing on leash first?
    Should I take her home as soon as she starts foaming at the mouth? Sometimes she'll play with other puppies, then run back... and won't drink water despite running a lot.

Also, her friend Bodie and her were supposed to be going together later next week.. do you think it is a good idea?
    Bodie is an Australian Cattle dog and he's farrrr more timid/submissive behavior than Momo too. Bodie and Momo get a long really well though.

Also, is there any way to make the process more comfortable for her faster too? Aside from just hanging around on the outside and giving her treats? We're going to be boarding her... and so I wanna make her be more comfortable before I leave her for a couple days.
  • the foaming/drool is a sign of stress, don't take her to the dog park. My BT has a similar thing with dog parks.

http://www.alldogsgym.com/behavior/articles/behavior/dog-drooling-is-stress-related
    Post edited by poltergeist at 2014-09-29 05:04:41
  • Yes I understand that, but seeing as she will be boarded next weekend and there might be group play time, I am wondering if there is something I can do to help her be more comfortable in group situations. I will absolutely mention this to the place boarding her but in the long run, I want her to be fairly well rounded. She's only a puppy right now so I figure it is something that can probably be worked on.
  • if a place is any good, they will see the stress signs in your puppy and try to accommodate her as best as possible, which can mean not having play time.
  • We've been taking nymeria to puppy play groups with our trainer to get her used to the dog park environment. The reason I mention it is because the trainer recommends sitting with your pup in your lap during stressful situations. Then let the dogs come up to her, most times only one or two will approach. In case there are more that approach though I recommend going with someone else who can help you make sure puppy isn't overwhelmed. Our second play group meeting there was this tiny shy papillon that sat curled up in its owners lap the entire time but as the weeks have gone by, the papillon is now quite outgoing and initates play seshes with the other pups.It's kind of gross to sit on the ground, but it's an option...

You could also try taking her to the park, but keep her on the outside of the park around the perimeter. She can see the environment and is protected from the other dogs. For the beginning of both options Just start with 5-10 mins at a time. Make your pup feel completely secure and at any time if puppy starts to panick it's time to back out and on the next trip go back to the time you were at on the previous trip. The idea is the pup will start to become curious and play with the other dogs at their pace. Both of these is definitely more than a weeks worth of work though...

Our first visit to puppy group and the park definitely involved nymeria staying very close to us and not playing with any other dogs, but she's become quite the socialite in the past few weeks.

The key is to monitor the situation and your pups reactions and make sure you're doing your best to keep your pup feeling safe.
    Post edited by lauratherose at 2014-09-29 20:51:38

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)