For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Freeze Dried Treats (Strawberries)
  • ncieloncielo
    I ordered these for myself a long time ago, I absolutely love them. I decided to see what the benefits were for eating them and heres the info. I was thinking of using my treats as dog treats as well. My last order hasn't come yet so during the time Nikko's been here they haven't been around. Next shipment I will let him try them. They look pretty healthy for him, and me lol
    Freeze Dried Strawberries
    Strawberries contain potent antioxidants that have repeatedly been shown to help protect cell structures in the body and to prevent oxygen damage in all of the body's organ systems. Strawberries, as with other berries are famous in the phytonutrient world as a rich source of phenols. With their unique phenol content this makes them a heart protective fruit, an anti-cancer fruit, and an anti inflammatory fruit, all in this one little berry! According to www.whfoods.com , “In one study, strawberries topped a list of eight foods linked to lower rates of cancer deaths…” “Those eating the most strawberries were three times less likely to develop cancer compared to those eating a few or no strawberries.” Researchers have found that strawberries help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of age related declines in brain function. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamins C, K, and manganese. They are also a good source of dietary fiber and iodine as well as potassium, folate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B-6, magnesium, and copper. The great thing about freeze dried strawberries is that they don't have to be refrigerated; they lose none of their nutrients, and can be stored for a long period of time unopened.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 11:11:04
  • SayaSaya
    Saya likes normal strawberries never tried the freeze dried type yet. Sometimes she'll eat them sometimes she won't she likes the sweet ones.. lol

She also likes blue berries, pears, apples, and sometimes banana most times she spits the banana out.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Our vet suggested frozen blueberries and normal baby carrots... Jiro LOVES frozen blueberries; his grandfather usually treats him with them so he is now known as the blueberry man. =P And the carrots are GREAT for his teething and cleaning them.
    We're going to have to try the frozen strawberries.. Thanks!
  • IchigoIchigo
    I tried frozen blueberries with Ichigo. He tried and chew them but he didn't understand so he just kept spitting it out and licking it and spitting it back out haha. Maybe I'll try again when he's a little older. :P
    Post edited by Ichigo at 2010-10-09 16:48:31
  • I tried the blueberries with Keiko and she just sniffed them and walked away. But now I think we'll try strawberries! c:
  • ShibaToshiShibaToshi
    Do you have to cook the baby carrots? Or can you just give it to them raw? How about the strawberries? Can I just give it the way we eat them?
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Apollo LOVES frozen strawberries. He'll sometimes eat regular ones, but apparently my sister tried to feed him one and he turned his nose at it. Whenever we get a batch I freeze a few smaller ones to give him as treats. I've never tried freeze-dried, just fresh ones that have been frozen overnight. I think Apollo likes the juiciness of the strawberries but also the hardness when they're frozen. He loved them when his teething was at its worst a while back. I like using whole fruit to freeze since it's at normal size and lasts longer.

@ShibaToshi You can just give it to them raw. We've only every given cooked ones to Apollo, but raw ones are good for satisfying chewing.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • LosechLosech
    Conker doesn't eat most raw veggies. He'll just rip them up. Some fruits he'll eat raw, but most plant stuff needs to be cooked for him to actually eat it. He doesn't digest raw plant stuff very well, either.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya used to not like dehydrated sweet potatoes, but I offered her one and she ate it up! My how dog's taste change in a year. haha

She usually gets dehydrated beef or liver, but not fruit she gotten cooked fruit and she loves it.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • ShibaToshiShibaToshi
    @konpeito
    Thank you so much! I gave him a half-cooked carrot the other day and Toshi gobbled it up! I'm going to see if he'll like strawberries, but I'll definitely remember baby carrots! (:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)