For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What does your Shiba Sleep on?
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    It's been a while since I've been on here, but I think I need some advice on what to do...

It's getting colder in our area, and I had Stella on a towel for a while. But then I washed it and she's wanted to play/chew it ever since I gave it back. I went out and got one of those soft beds that is the same size as her crate, but all she wants to do it chew/play with it like it's a toy. I've tried to do some sit/down commands on it, and give her treats when she just sits and lays on it. I've tried to distract her from chewing, and have gotten her to be better at the "Leave It" command since she's constantly trying to chew on the bed.

How can I try to get her to just leave the bed alone? No matter where I put it, she just goes after it, and tries to chew/play with it more as a toy and less as a bed. She's usually okay just on the floor or the tray in the crate. I figured with it getting colder, especially in a hardwood floor, she might have the bed hold heat for her.

What does your Shiba sleep on? Does anyone else have their shiba do this? Have you been able to stop your shiba from doing this? Should I just get rid of the bed, and let her sleep how she wants to sleep?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance!
  • Kuranda beds are the greatest chew proof beds ever.
  • Kuranda beds are the greatest chew proof beds ever.
  • Kuro_KaiKuro_Kai
    Kai is like this +1. If I put it in his crate, he'll either not go into the crate or pull it out. He refuses to lay on it at all.
  • HammyHammy
    My male Shiba chewed on anything I call "dog bed" (blanket, carpet, towel...) until I bought the Door Mat from Home Depot.
  • mattzmattz
    Etsuko sleeps on a down blanket that I have arranged in her den. Every time I wash it, she's always hesitant at first about laying on it, but when sleepytime comes around she dives right in. Not sure if this helps whatsoever, but there ya go!

GOOD LUCK!
  • atlasatlas
    Mitsu sleeps in a dog bed I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond. She has never chewed it - I think it's because she has had it since the day she came home and therefore uses it as a comfort item, but I could be totally off. It fits in her crate and leaves plenty of room for her to stretch out beside it if she chooses, as her crate is a bit large (but will be a good size for when she is full grown). I also bought a crate pillow for her, as eventually she is going to outgrow the bed and she'll need something else in her crate instead, but she tried to chew it up. I took it out for now, and we plan on trying again when she is older. She also has two t-shirts of ours in with her as well, comfort items we put in there for when she first came home.

I don't know if this will help, but I always have a soft toy in the crate with her at night (during the day she gets a bully stick, kong, or antler, but not at night). We use a small kong wubba. I don't know if Mitsu has ever chewed it at night, but we've been giving it to her since night 1, so I keep giving it to her (though I make sure on a regular basis that no threads are loose, etc.). Maybe if Stella has a toy in there with her, she'll chew that instead of the pillow? Just a thought.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya has 5 blankets in here crate one is a normal blanket and four are fleece blanket she chewed on one fleece blanket when she was teething, but now she just digs in it and moves the blankets around to make it comfy.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Tonka when he goes in the crate, hes on the hard plastic floor I tryed blankets, towels, dog bed and he chewed everything even when he had a toy in there with him. I think he prefurs (pun intended) nothing.

When he sleeps in my bedroom he's in a dog bed (no crate) and has done this since about 9 months old, hes never even licked it, still looks brand new, ive even washed it a couple of times.

Dennis
  • Severus just sleeps on a regular human comforter. It used to be on the couch but he claimed it as his so we juts let him use that now.
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    JessicaRabbit - Thanks for the recommendation. I believe you mentioned that to someone before, and I have looked at them, but I after letting Stella sleep on the floor, she would move herself into her crate during the night. I would like to have something in her crate for her.

I can't even keep the current crate bed/cushion on the floor because she really goes after it, almost like her prey drive is kicking in, but she's not aggressive if I try to take it away. Just persistent.

Atlas - Stella has at least 2 types of chew toys (1 soft and 1 hard) and a filled Kong for her during the day, but she constantly goes after her bed regardless.

Dennis - Stella's crate is in my room, so she falls asleep on the hardwood floor and usually moves into her crate in the middle of the night if I don't put her in her crate before I fall asleep. I usually switch between putting her in and letting her go in on her own throughout the week and she's good with it.

Frank - How's the little guy (though he doesn't look so little now) doing?! He's a year old already?? Stella has only jumped onto my bed, and no other furniture.

Thanks to everyone else for your comments and input. Keep'em coming!
  • haha Severus is doing good. He's a very tall Shiba and hes going to be tested for allergies next thursday.
  • Katsu sleeps on the crushed skulls and bones of her enemies.
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!
  • bobc33bobc33
    I tried all sorts of beds and blankets but Scout destroyed every one. Now she sleeps on the bed with me or downstairs on the couch. Of course she destroyed the couch so I got a slip cover, which she has chewed through in one place. I guess I'm just a softie.
  • emmyemmy
    In crate--a blanket. He seems okay with it...never chews it. Around the house--carpet, with his back against the wall or his dog bed. Occasionally he sleeps on the dog bed, but usually just next to it. At night--on my bed. During the day if I'm not home he sleeps on the dad-gum couch and leaves little footprints. Little punk.... :)
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    Something ironic happened...

I was sitting on the bed posting the thread about the pup I found, and this happened...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/K13rn8n/Shiba Stella Pics/IMG-20101006-00036.jpg

Stella usually only jumps up on the bed to get my attention to go play or to go out. Last night, she just jumped up, did her little circle thing, and laid down. Within a few minutes, she was out... I'll post more detail in Stella's thread.
    Post edited by Serkle k at 2010-10-06 12:14:11
  • Mori sleeps in his crate with no bedding or towel. He tries to grabs onto his doggy bed and tries to run away with it (except it's bigger than him) if we put the doggy bed outside his crate. We tried putting the bed in his crate once and he sat so straight in the crate for an hour, refusing to lay down on it, so we took the bed out. He's just sleeping on the crate's mesh floor now, with his favorite soft chew toy in there with him. We're in the tropics so maybe he prefers the ventilation the mesh gives him.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Glad she finally figured out what the bed is for...

I had a huge problem with Nola chewing up beds. I bought both her and Bella a Kuranda bed, and they both LOVE them. :)
    And they really are chew proof.

However, if you want something in the crate for Stella, I would suggest a crate pad. They are not stuffed (usually) like a normal bed, but provide some cushioning and warmth from the plastic crate tray. I have one for each of my pup's crates and they both love them. And if they get hot, they will usually just shove the pad to the side and lay on the plastic tray. I got mine at a local pet store, but can not think of the brand of them off the top of my head. If I think about it, I will get the info when I head home.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • ncieloncielo
    Nikko sleeps on my bed. He immediately made himself at home on the bed when he came. When I'm out he goes in his crate and stays there until he hears the door shuffle, lol
  • Laika loves her Bessie and Barnie bagel bed. She can either stretch out or curl up like a croissant. She hasn't been crated since being potty trained and her bed is right next to ours. The beds are customizable so you can pick size, fabric, and shape.
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    Bear and Foxy sleep in their crates when we are not home. I bought a bigger nicer bed for Foxy when we got her and neither dog will sleep in it. At night usually they both sleep under the bed and sometime during the night Bear jumps on the bed but Foxy waits til the morning when everyones up and then gets on the bed and sleep against all the pillows!
    Here they are in the middle of the afternoon when I went looking for them.
    Post edited by velvetkat at 2010-10-20 01:54:54
  • The hard plastic on the bottom of the crate is cold in the winter. I put an old towel in there and MoJo sleeps on it. He chewed the rug that was in there. He chews and chews and chews. I think he's got the corner off of this towel. I wish i could put one of those comfy lambswool things in there, but I'm sure it would be threads by morning.
  • Alex575Alex575
    At night Monju sleeps on the plastic liner that came with the Midwest crate and a baby blanket, plus a plush toy for a pillow. But one day she fell asleep between two pillows on my bed when I let her explore it. Hahaha!

Asleep
  • johnwlajohnwla
    Haki thinks he should be able to sleep on the bed, usually smack in the middle or on top of the comforter between my legs. I think he should sleep in his crate which has a thin pad that he only occasionally drags out. At night he knows when I go to the refrigerator and get the peanut butter and the kong, its bed time. On the command bed he runs into his crate, turns around and waits to be handed the kong and his favorite stuffed toy.

He also has a bed from Petco (that will soon have to be tossed) that occasionally he decided to pull apart. I will come home and find it pulled to the other end of the kitchen, upside down, with the pillow at the opposite end of the room. And one very proud shiba giving me the best "can you see what I did today while you were at work" look!
  • HamletHamlet
    Hammy thinks beds are toys.

He has a blankie that he'll nap on and sometimes he'll curl up in his crate on the crate pad (don't know why he hasn't considered this a toy!!). Mostly, though, he sleeps on the carpet under our bed....at first I felt bad, like I was abusing him or something since he didn't have a comfy plush bed, but then I realized that he prefers that!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Let's see - the're a plush pillow in her crate, a comforter on the floor mounded up next to it covering the floor space from her crate to her ottoman that has another pillow on top. There's my bed where she's not allowed to sleep on my pillows, but does it when I am at work. There are throw pillows in every room for her.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • Yoshi sleeps on the bed with me and Emi sleeps in the crate on a pillow with a couple of her blankets and a big fleece doggie bone as her pillow. She doesnt try to chew anything which is so wonderful because when Yoshi was a puppy we went through so many pillows and crate beds.
  • Sakura has a sherpa/suede blanket that I got for 1/2 off at joanns, she doesn't chew on it, but does like to pile it up and lay over that.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • Kirby slept on a dog bed for the longest time. Then we went traveling, and has been sleeping on our bed ever since. He snuggles right up to me. He also sleeps on the couch too. He is next to me on the couch sleeping away, as I type this."He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Anon)
    Post edited by Kirbysmom at 2010-11-19 15:57:49
  • tomotomo
    Bentley tends to sleep wherever he wants. Though he has a dog bed, he only sleeps there sometimes and other times would rather sleep on the floor, on my bed, on the sofa, on a bean bag chair, etc. Basically, whatever looks comfortable at the moment becomes his place of slumber. If I make him get off the bed, he usually opts for his bed.

Unless your Shiba is going to destroy the bed, I would let her do whatever she wants with it. Eventually she'll figure out it's also a comfy place to sleep.
  • JudyJudy
    Frodo & Chelsie sleep wherever they want. We have a doggie pillow on the floor of our bedroom as well as a crate pad elsewhere in the bedroom. Sometimes they use them, sometimes on a chair or sofa. We have a spare bed in another bedroom and Frodo will often sleep on that, but Chelsie never. Frodo never wants to sleep with us, but Chelsie at times seems to need the security of being with us on the bed and she's big!
  • ToshiToshi
    for the chewers out there..as anyone tired the Kong Chew Resistant Dog Bed?
  • mattzmattz
    Etsuko sleeps on her bed, our bed, the couch, the floor, wherever she wants really!

We started her off with a NOT ALLOWED ON OUR BED policy whatsoever... Then recently, after a scare one night we woke up with her in our bed, and things haven't changed since. Especially considering that her doggie den is in our room with our bed, which is really HER ROOM and HER EVERYTHING inside of it haha/
  • Kuro_KaiKuro_Kai
    Toshi, I just bought one over the weekend. Took Kai a few minutes to get himself comfortable with sitting so high up (relatively). But I haven't seen evidence of him chewing on it yet. Even if he does its better than his old bedding. He was pulling the fluffy material lose, making a mess and ingesting some.

The Kong bed doesn't have that
  • ToshiToshi
    thats good to hear kuro_kai.
  • LosechLosech
    Conker sleeps on the floor (carpet) during the day. We kept the cushions from the old couch for him but he only sleeps on them every now and then. He'll sleep on the bed if we allow him but we don't for now, not until he is VERY well behaved and trustworthy.
    In his crate is a piece of sample carpet that fits in the crate pretty well but is a tad short. He doesn't seem to mind though. He used to have a towel in there but he had a fit and kicked it out one day and I haven't put it back in yet.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Kira's bedroom bed consists of a regular human comforter folded twice, a crate pad, a blanket folded and placed on top, then one last patterned blanket laid over everything.

Her bed is elevated about 4 - 5 inches above the floor and seems to be quite comfortable. She's not so so spoiled at all ;)
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Quake sleeps in a bagel bed size medium that I bought for him two years ago. He loves his bed. It is big enough for him to stretch out if he wants.

http://www.amazon.com/Majestic-Pet-40-Inch-Bagel-Khaki/dp/B000K6STFM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1436794993&sr=1-2&keywords=dog+bagel+bed&pebp=1436795007561&perid=1WX60NYH8JJR1JFHN0KM
  • Banjo has a his crate, a bed next to his crate, and a bed on the floor of the bedroom. He will not sleep on my bed unless it is made right before bed time. If I pick him up and place him on my bed when its made, he will stay all night. If the bed isn't made, he jumps right off.

• My puppy loved to chew on his bed when he first got it - he still bites it, but rarely. Eventually he started to use it more as a bed when he got more comfortable with his surroundings. The bed I have is about 1/4 the size of his pen and has a removable casing so it can be washed. Not sure if this will help or not, but it's all I have.
  • renitiadbrenitiadb
    I am a seamstress and my number one selling item is the dog bed that I had created for Fen =) It's similar to the bagel bed =) But Fen slept all over the place: our bed, his blanket, his beds, chair cushions, area rugs . . . just about anywhere. He liked variety (our cat Sasha is the same way).
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Denso likes the typical stuff: our bed, the couch, or the floor. Sometimes he'll sleep in his crate; he has a nice wool blanket in there. :)

@renitiadb
    Do you sell the doggie beds? I may be interested!
  • renitiadbrenitiadb
    Yes Frillface I do. I will send you a message with my Etsy shop =)
  • renitiadbrenitiadb
    Well I couldn't figure out how to send a PM (technologically challenged here) so I posted a comment on your wall. =)
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    @renitiabd

Thank you! I'll definitely snag one soon, I hope! :)
  • reibanshireibanshi
    Rei primarily sleeps on her crate pad that takes up her whole crate, when we're home she sleeps on the floor or her red Delta blanket that lines her travel crate; any good recommendations for a puppy that likes to burrow?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)