For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Tooth brushing
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Just curious as to how many of you clean your dog's teeth. If you do, do you use a tooth brush or the rubber finger? Also how often do you do it?
  • mattzmattz
    We just bought a teeth cleaning kit for Etsuko the other day, but we have yet to use it. It came with both the toothbrush and the rubber finger brush.

Do you clean your dogs teeth? How did it go your first time round?

I'm interested in how most dogs take a teeth brushing, I'll let you know how it goes with Etsuko!
  • Our pup is a little over 4 months old and we just started brushing her teeth everday. Since she is teething and has already lost a few teeth i think she enjoys it.

We have the same kit that includes a little rubber finger and toothbrush (have not used the brush so far). Everday for a few minutes my wife or I will brush her coat and teeth followed by playtime.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Kuma and Kitsune don't like to have their teeth cleaned so I don't do it. When I take them to the vet, I have her check out their teeth and she says they look fine. I give Kuma and Kitsune a dental chew once a week, so I guess they do a good job of cleaning. They also chew on large nylabones.
  • atlasatlas
    I brushed Mitsu's teeth for the first time last weekend. I started with my finger, just letting her taste the toothpaste. Then I rubbed her teeth with my finger alone. A couple of days ago I used the finger brush and she did very well with it. I have read that it's best to do it every other day or so, but Mitsu gets a lot of chews that help with plaque, so I think we will probably do it once a week.
  • KunuKunu
    I just brushed Kunu's teeth for the first time tonight. He's almost 7 months old and had really stinky breath so probably should have done it earlier, but anyways.

Is it safe for him to swallow the toothpaste? I'm using Virbac, animal health, enzymatic toothpaste.

he really seemed to enjoy it actually, the toothpaste says its poultry flavored and doesn't say anything about not swallowing it but doesn't say can swallow it either. He seemed to be just trying to eat / lick the toothpaste during the operation.
  • I feed my dogs raw. As in raw bones (chicken mostly) so I never have to do anything to their teeth--they are always clean and healthy. Yay!
  • I clean Nouki his teeth every 3 days with a toothbrush... we're still practising
  • Oooh on Hachi's 10th or 11th week her little mouth was reeking. It was unbearable:(
    I bought this dentadog toothpaste that came with a toothbrush. She finds it yummy.. I haven't brushed her teeth again though since I think she will loose her baby teeth anyway. I guess that's stinking thinking:)
    She does get these dentie green bones and loves to chew on it and eat it.

About the doggy breath..I stopped giving her the food she got from the breeder. Now I feed her chicken flavor Eukaneba & Duck brand raw meat. I think we might go raw. Her poopies are even smaller. I also gave her pineapple so she would stop eating her poop. That worked for permanent solution. I placed my cat's fishy flavor food on a high place where Hachi can't reach it.. I also once in a while give her a hard bone marrow beef bone. I leave a little bit of meat on it. Gosh these dogs can get really possessive with their bone. So my husband practices taking it away from her and giving it back so she wont be possesive. I also make sure to deworm her every month. These are all the changes I did.. I have no clue what worked, but now she has nice doggy breath that smells like fresh spring air. She has no smell at all.. To be honest I worried at first that she might have something wrong in her tummy as her breath was unbearable, but no.
    Post edited by Hachi0406 at 2010-10-01 11:29:09
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    Hachi FYI I used to give my pup marrow bones which he just loved and was very possessive of and when we went to the vet one time the vet told us to be careful with the marrow bones as they are so hard and the dogs tend to break their back teeth. This vet is a very well known dental vet so Im inclined to listen to him. We did away with the marrow bones which probably was a good idea anyway since he was so possessive and we added another Shiba to the family.
  • Ok! Oh boy! So the denty bones it will be then.
    What type of bones are better to use? She loves them:) Chicken bones? She's not too passionate about those bones from the petshop.
    Post edited by Hachi0406 at 2010-10-01 11:23:13
  • nikkit585nikkit585
    I have one of those toothbrush kits for Kiyomi as well. She's only 5 1/2 months old, so I've been brushing her teeth at least once a week since we got her. I started with a lil bit of the toothpaste on my finger and let her get used to the taste of it. Then we moved to the finger in the mouth part for a few days until she got used to that. She has adapted pretty well to the toothbrush from the finger brush. I just hold onto her collar from under her neck and hold her muzzle in my hand while I brush her teeth. She pretty much just spends the whole minute or so trying to find a way to either just eat the toothpaste or chew the toothbrush. I just brushed them tonight, but the next time I brush them, I'll take a video and post it up here. ::)
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    I gave Sakura a denta bone a few days ago.... if your pup has mostly white paws... they will be tinted green. At least it is a good way to get them into the st.patricks day spirit... :) (By the way, she LOVED it)Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • hiropuppyhiropuppy
    we recently got hiro a finger toothbrush, since it was pet dental month in feb and there was a sale... just ordered some vanilla mint something or other toothpaste, which should arrive today! we practiced a little bit of brushing and i think he liked it... he also really just wanted to chew on the brush, possibly because he's teething like crazy? he's about 5 months old now... and i wish i had started earlier, just so he would get used to it. his teeth are pretty clean to begin with, and he gets a raw chicken or turkey neck every other week or so for a cleaning.
  • CaliaCalia
    We give our pups bully sticks and the bony parts (back, neck)of raw chicken every week, and their teeth and breath are quite good. Every once in awhile, when it's on sale, we will give them some raw lamb/calf ribs, which are awesome for the front teeth since my guys more focus on pulling the meat off than chewing the bone. We also give them baby carrots as a treat, though Tetsu is a pain if it's not broken into even smaller pieces. We try to avoid greenies and other dental chews since there is a heightened risk of choking and digestive upset with them.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Cain and Able makes a vanilla flavored toothpaste. Hiro loves this stuff! I use a regular toothbrush for Hiro.

Yea... greenies gives Hiro the runs.
  • SangmortSangmort
    Our boys eat raw...raw meaty bones...cleans their teeth well enough for me! :) ~
  • OH! Where do you guys get the finger things?
  • cjcbcjcb
    I had done it only once with Tochi (he's almost 13 weeks). We tried the finger brush and I guess he loved the toothpaste so much that he bit the finger brush really hard (with my finger in it) and would NOT let go. It was really amazing how determined he was not to let go of the finger brush and I was afraid he was going swallow it!

We then tried regular brush and he was a bit better although he still wanted to bite it.

Maybe I should try using just my finger first? (I'm a bit scared) LOL
    Tochi Satake | Red Shiba Inu | DOB: 10/15/2011 | Miami, FL
    http://tochitheshiba.tumblr.com/
  • knnwangknnwang
    Ratchet is 17 weeks, I been cleaning his teeth about once every 2 weeks. I get him into the administer med position (him in the sit position with me right behind him with one hand holding his chest/lower neck.) I then squeeze a glob of doggy tooth paste into his mouth; as soon as he starts to chew/lick I go for it with a soft bristle toothbrush.
  • I brush tosh's teeth every night. He loves it if he hears me brush mine he's waiting for his to get done. If he had it his way it would be twice daily. I use a Colgate tooth brush not a pet specific one and a vanilla mint pet toothpaste. I started when he was 8 wks which made it really easy. He sits on the floor in front of me and while brushing if he stands up he needs a break or I'm brushing to hard. Then when he's ready he sits right back down.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    I haven't tried bushing Zach's teeth yet. We give him bully sticks and so far that seems to be keeping his teeth nice and clean. Although he is only 3 months old and hasn't lost his baby teeth yet.
    I tried bushing our other dog's teeth (he has passed away in August) but he hated it no matter what I tried...before he passed away our vet had actually recommended we put him under to have his teeth cleaned. He ended up getting sick so we never did it.
  • MayamaMayama
    I started brushing Maya's teeth everyday as soon as we got her. For the first week or two, I just put some toothpaste on my fingers and let her lick it while I rub against her teeth. Then for another week or so, I used the toothbrush instead of my fingers. I didn't really care whether it was really cleaning or not, but just wanted her to be used to something in her mouth. It wasn't till she got her adult teeth, when I start to be more serious about it. Now that she's on raw, her teeth stays nice and clean, but I still brush it about once a week.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • curlytailscurlytails
    We were just talking about this on the Nihon ken side, so this is fresh on my mind. I'm also bumping this thread because February is "National Pet Dental Month," and a lot of vets offer discounted services for full dental procedures, which can be pretty costly. Around here, a lot of vets knock 20~25% off what can easily be a $1000 procedure with extractions. Something to look into, if you're anticipating some major work...
    https://www.avma.org/Events/pethealth/Pages/February-is-National-Pet-Dental-Health-Month.aspx

Bowdu luckily has excellent teeth by design and diet. Exhibit A:

Clean teeth

Not bad for an 8-year-old dog, huh? =) We used to give edible dental chews like Greenies and Zuke's more regularly, but I started to feel like they weren't worth the cost if the intention was to improve their dental health, especially not Greenies. Bowdu will work through some pretty tough bones, and that has done wonders for his teeth.

Bowpi, as a sighthound, is significantly trickier. She came to us at about 5 years of age having eaten mostly soft foods and obviously never having her teeth taken care of. I started giving her PlaqueOff, a daily dental supplement, giving her hard food, dental chews, and eventually transitioning to raw and meaty bones, and that helped knock off most of the plaque. It was totally caked on though, so since it was SO bad, it was a lot easier to see improvement, I guess. She still needed to go in for a full dental. After that nearly $500 procedure (this is including a 20% discount and WITHOUT any extractions, mind you!), I was convinced that I should be more proactive about taking care of her teeth.

Ideally, I brush her teeth twice a week and offer some other dental-related thing at least three times a week, as well -- a raw meaty bone, a chlorhexidine coated dental chew (I get those Virbac strips too, the only rawhide we give anymore), or a dental rinse. There are a bunch of products out like Tropiclean gel that claim no brushing is required, but I'm not ready to accept that at face value. Some brushing is necessary for Bowpi, I think.

That said, she is really, really squirmy and it's STILL difficult after all this time to get her back teeth. She doesn't hate the process. The toothpaste is quite yummy, after all! She just has the most dexterous tongue ever and is really good about licking the toothpaste off before I even make contact. The finger brushes are too big and awkward for me, so I just end up putting the toothpaste right on my (clean) finger and rubbing her teeth. My vet said that contact was more important than scrubbing, so if I can just make sure the toothpaste touches her teeth, the toothpaste will do its job.

Bowdu is actually more tolerant of tooth brushing, even though he doesn't need it! I don't bother with him, though I'll occasionally smear some toothpaste at the base of his upper canines, because that's the ONLY place he has any significant gunk.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Just bumping as this came up in an intro thread and it reminded me how important this could be long term.

So I have always worked with Bear on letting me stick my fingers in his mouth and play with his gums. We have given Bear antlers, hooves, dental chews ect, but until today never tried actually brushing his teeth.

Our first attempts, Bear was great, I was terrible. I had a puppy toothbrush that covers all three sides of the teeth supposedly. I found this very awkward to try to use as keeping his mouth open wasn't the easiest as his tongue moved around.

I am going to try the baby/kids human toothbrush idea as I think that will be easier as I can do the outer sides of his teeth without him needing to hold open his mouth.

I tried it by him sitting in front of me with my legs around the sides of him. He was very patient actually with my attempts and I quit before he got too annoyed with me awkwardly trying to use the toothbrush. I did put the toothpaste also on my finger and tried to rub it along his teeth, so first attempt not great, but I think we can get to where the process won't be too bad to do on a regular basis.

His teeth look great, but I don't want the long term effects that years and years of buildup can create, so I know I need to start now adding brushing into the other dental chews we use.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @redcattoo I personally find regular baby toothbrushes to be easier to use than the fancy triple-sided toothbrushes. It's a very old tool whose basic design has remained unchanged for a long time... despite the gazillion options out there now, I'm of the mind that it's a marketing conspiracy to make us think there's been some technological advancement. ;)

• BitiBeaBitiBea
    I brush Kismets teach using a regular people tooth brush and doggy toothpaste. She gets her teeth brushed every night after dinner and she adores it!
    *´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` Kismet & BitiBea~*.
  • MikoMiko
    I use a regular tooth brush with some rubber bristles on the side. It seems to work pretty good. Miko doesn't mind it, he just loves to lick the toothpaste lol. I cant get the insides of the teeth as he wont keep his mouth open, but i do get to brush the outside of his teeth.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Thanks everyone for sharing how you do it. On my list is the drug store for a toothbrush for Bear that is a small normal one. I know this will be a good habit to start. As Bear gets older I have noticed he is more willing to accept the things that just are (ie nail clipping, brushing, toe checks, ect) than when he was young. I am not sure I could have effectively started this when he was younger without a lot of resistance and dislike.
  • MikoMiko
    @redcattoo something that works for me is, sitting side by side with Miko with my arm around him. Sort of like hugging, i hold his muzzle with the arm that's around him and with my free hand i work the toothbrush. This is the only way to do it without him moving around too much and it works for about half a minute lol. Maybe you can try it this way.
  • JuniJuni
    I also think baby toothbrush is the easiest to use. I am not good at remembering it and feel bad for waking her up at night to do it because I usually remember while I brush mine but by then she's in bed already so it only happens once in a while. There's an awful lot of tongue in the way and head moving and jerking but as soon as I remove the brush she comes up to me for more so she must enjoy it somehow.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I am hoping to make it a morning habit. Typically when I get up and start my morning Bear comes into my bathroom to say good morning. We usually spend some time on the floor quietly together (Dad still sleeping right outside in the bedroom). This is typically when I check his paws, teeth/gums, rub him all over including his belly and stretch him out a bit, unless he wakes up really active, then I just count that morning as a loss for health check ups.

I am thinking I will be able to sit with him facing me in a sit position and putting my legs around and behind him. This is the position I use that he knows means "zen/calm" ... it is also used for the time outs after I catch him if he went off on uncontrolled wild zoomies without listening to the recall command. He knows this position means he is better off choosing a submissive attitude as moving about or getting attitude with me will only extend this hugging type position (and gee wiz if he has to remain in a hugging position for too long that is against all Shiba desire LOL).

I am sure I will get better the more I work on it with him, just like nail clipping. Had set backs when he was young and clipped his quick not once but twice. It hasn't been until recently and with a new clipper tool that I can trim little bits of his nails now and am getting more confident myself in doing it.

I think the key is gaining your own confidence as the more I hesitate with these necessary grooming needs and the more awkward I am due to my hesitation the harder it is to keep Bear's patience with me.
  • SayaSaya
    Will say this Fattball do not use human toothpaste please only use dog tooth paste it's there for reason many human tooth paste is designed to not be swallowed. A dog doesn't know to not swallow.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • fattballfattball
    Thanks I will no longer use it
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    FYI: I have a "potion" for Yuki that we put into his water that is good for his dental health and makes his breath fresh.
  • LMSpostLMSpost
    Can anyone suggest a specific brand/product for toothpaste?
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @LMSpost I use C.E.T. toothpaste by Virbac. I've seen it distributed at many vets, and I know it's also available elsewhere both online and off (it's one of my standard Petmeds add-ons for free shipping). I'm kind of impressed by the range of flavors. The idea of a seafood flavored toothpaste is gag-worthy to me, but the dogs find it quite palatable.
  • zandramezandrame
    I also use virbac, but didn't want a funky lingering smell, so we got peppermint. Kouda likes it just fine, but prefers to chew it off the brush, no finger brushes here!
  • JuniJuni
    I don't use any toothpaste, only water. I read a study on dental care for dogs that said the toothpaste is unnecessary. I get that it's tasty and makes the brushing more interesting but I found it only distracted Juni and made her want to lick the brush. According to the study ideally every tooth should be brushed with 10 strokes (or what you would call it). There was no evidence any of those products you add on the food did anything to keep the teeth clean.
    If Juni had been chewing any bones I don't think I would have to be so vigilant with her teeth. But as it is I try to brush almost every day and she doesn't mind it, in fact she is a lot better nowadays, her head is still and she doesn't move her tongue around much either.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Juni I would be curious to read that study, as I was actually told the opposite by my vet -- that it is more important for the toothpaste to touch the plaque, and the scrubbing action plays a secondary role in maintaining teeth. Most dogs don't sit still enough for the scrubbing to really matter, and toothpaste makers know it, so canine toothpastes are formulated more to break down plaque by contact, not by abrasion.

I could be misinformed on that though. I haven't read any studies on toothpaste, either way.

I am, however, skeptical of the efficacy of most food/water add-ons. Even the seaweed additive I've used in the past, Plaque-Off, has limited efficacy and only works best with other things like raw bones. Genetics, bones, and brushing (no matter how it's done) still seem like the most effective ways of maintaining dental health.
  • JuniJuni
    I would love to share it but it is all in Swedish...maybe there is an abstract in English though, let me see...
    No, only a short summary that doesn't say much. But it says it is mainly the mechanical scrubbing that has any effect. However some toothpastes contains enzymes and antibacterial ingredients that can be efficient.
    Post edited by Juni at 2014-03-22 03:31:26
  • LMSpostLMSpost
    Anyone open to sharing a video of how you brush your shiba's teeth? I think that would be a good addition to this thread. I watched some on youtube but it might be nice to have a forum member post so people can reference it and ask followup questions.
  • knnwangknnwang
    Although I have no problems brushing Ratchet’s fangs, or sticking my hands and fingers in his mouth. About mid last year he started to barf shortly after each brushing. I have tried various brands of doggy toothpaste, but he’ll still barfs as if he chewed too much grass.

I’ve seen water with fluoride for sale in the baby section of CVS. I’m guessing its water proportion with a lower level of fluoride to adjust for a lower weight, and I'm thinking about trying it on Ratchet. Any knowledge about fluoride in dogs, or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to add video per LMSpost:

Post edited by knnwang at 2014-05-02 12:58:04
  • sunyatasunyata
    @knnwang - Fluoride is not recommended for dogs. Mostly because it is toxic, but also because fluoride is an anti-cavity drug, and dogs generally do not get cavities. What you want is a plaque busting enzyme if he is not tolerant of dog toothpaste or if the dog is not tolerant of brushing in general (like my two).

You might want to look into a water additive, such as Biotene's Oratene.
    http://www.petkingbrands.com/products/bioteneWaterAdd.html

It has some great reviews and has been recommended by my previous vet.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • knnwangknnwang
    @suyata Thank-you. I'll call my vet to see if he has some, or if he can order it for me. :)

Edit: site said it only sell to vets but just found it on amazon with 2 day Prime shipping on Amazon.
    Post edited by knnwang at 2014-05-02 16:53:28
  • SayaSaya
    My vet sells C.E.T. toothpaste stuff.. I gotten a sample of it once and Saya didn't mind it. I find the flavoring funny, beef, seafood and stuff like that.. I think I'll stick to mint much more pleasant for me. they also have dental chews, but never tried those I've had bad experience with raw hide with past dogs.

Saya is raw fed her teeth are good except her canines.. Those only teeth that are not clean so I brush those. Canines are not used much in eating. mostly used for killing prey and toys..

Saya isn't fan of brushing, but she tolerates it. I did it in very short period of time at first. I still keep it short and work on her as needed.

I hear there is some type of gel that supposed to help with teeth anyone know what brand it is?

I think genetics is one factor to play some dogs get plaque teeth despite of diet.. I think Saya's other teeth would be bad if I fed her full kibble as she chews and crunches every kibble. There is some kibble that has some type of chemical or ingredient that suposed to fight plaque, but ones I know of that has it is low end kind with tons of corn and animal by product..

Teeth is important. my past dogs fought tooth and nail on teeth brushing so it was hard and when they had to have teeth cleaning at vet it was pricey..

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    For those of you who use Oratene.... Got some last week and after only a few days, noticed an immediate difference in breath and staining/tartar. Dakota's teeth were white again! Which then of course started to creep me out as to how good this additive might be or not be for her... The bottle says to treat their water every day, but why I ask if you see results right away? Wouldn't using it maybe once or twice a week do it just as well? I assume that the liquid contains some of the same chemicals as in pet toothpaste. I'm sure the company wants you to use as much as possible, but wouldn't periodic treatment work just as well? Thanks!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @DianaBoston - I would say that if you notice a drastic improvement in a few days that a weekly maintenance treatment would be fine. Taper off and see if it stays the same, continues to get better, or goes back to the way it was before. And then let us know. :) Haha.

I have not used it, but have been contemplating it, since Nola's teeth are starting to get a bit stained and I can not put her under to have a full dental done.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • knnwangknnwang
    Yeah @DianaBoston it worked the same for Ratchet. I notice the difference in 3 days. Bottle say for maximum effectiveness on the daily part. I'll try doing this every other bow of water.

I only semi recognize 2 of the ingredients on the bottle: purified water, rosemary extract?

Thanks @sunyata. :D
  • sunyatasunyata
    Glad to hear that it helped! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BootzBootz
    darn! I want to give the product a try...but my husband says he wants to keep it "natural" which means...he wants me to brush their teeth more often >_>

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)