For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Did anyone watch Hachi:A Dog's Tale on Hallmark?
  • I don't know about the rest of you, but watching Hachi:A Dog's Tale last night on Hallmark made me cry almost for two hours. Just thinking that my Skippy acts the same on so many levels. After doing his duty outside, Skippy patiently watches me as I get ready in the morning for work. Once I head outside, he jumps on the couch and watches as I pull out of the drive. At noon and at 5PM when I come home, he's right there on the couch in the window watching...waiting. I open the door and he jumps on me like he's saying "mommy, you're home"!!!!!!!!!!11 All dogs have so much love, tender hearts, companionship, and trust. We must never forget...the too have feelings and we must always respect that. If not, why have a pet?

Thank you Hallmark for retelling that wonderful story about Hachi and his master.
  • Great timing on this post, we just watched it last night! It's a nice story. The Akita puppy looks just like a Shiba.
    Post edited by Hunter at 2010-09-27 13:25:34
  • the Akita puppy IS a shiba! Leave it to Hollywood.
  • SayaSaya
    If the movie was the one with Richard gere then yes the Akita puppy is a shiba puppy.. lol

They used shiba pups instead of JA akita pups not sure why maybe because JA pups aren't too common or the people making the show wouldn't think it makes a difference. lol
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Is that the one with Richard Gere? I definitely cried towards the end. I read that they used a Shiba for the Akita puppy.
  • woops, i took too long to post.
  • I thought that the puppy looked like a Shiba instead of an Akita. I'd never seen an Akita puppy so I was unsure. yes, LOL leave it to Hollywood. Either way, what a beautiful movie!!!!!
  • jujeejujee
    I watched the movie before and I watched it again last night when it was on. :P Even though I watched it before I still cried lol :(
  • The reason they used a shiba instead of an akita puppy (other than the difficulty of training puppies) is because like with shiba puppies, a red JA puppy is a black and sesame, wild cub-looking thing and the director wanted a puppy that looked like it would grow up to look like Hachiko.

There was so much crying in our house when we watched that movie that our daughters have banned the very mention of it. My 11-year-old will actually leave the room if someone is counting in Japanese.
  • Having a JA and having had a shiba, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that JA a infinitely easier to train and work with than shiba. I think that was just what they told the public.
  • Here is a link on the dog the Hachi was based on....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

good movie even better real life story....

Dennis
  • I don't usually get sad over movies but that movie made me sad.
  • i heard it was on, but I dont think I have that channel. So I missed it. But I know I didn't miss too much cause I bought the movie when it first came out. IIRC the Shiba used in the movie is from a Show Breeder in PA.

I'm going to have to watch it again now. This time I'll have Stella to watch it with me. Maybe she'll watch it too!
    Post edited by Serkle k at 2010-09-27 17:25:33
  • atlasatlas
    I dvr'ed it to watch with my husband at some point. We'll make sure to have tissues at hand!
  • No joking! Skippy layed with me while watching the movie. I got up during a commercial to get something to drink, came back the movie has restarted and Skippy had readjusted himself off the couch and right in front of the television. He whined some when the dogs were barking or making noises and then he layed his head down in the end. I think he was crying inside too!
  • nikiniki
    oh man, Hachi made me cry pretty much the whole time I watched it. Katsumi was chillaxing in the other room when the movie started, but about 1/4 of the way through I made her come by me so I could hold her, cry and tell her how much I love her!! It was quite embarrassing.

Has anyone seen The Tale of Mari & the Three Puppies? I refuse to watch it because I CRIED during the preview and that never ever happens. I can't find the original blog where I read about it that included the video, but here's another one I found with a synopsis: http://redstarcafe.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/mari-and-the-niigata-earthquake/
  • I saw Mari... The preview was powerful. The movie? Not so much.
    I'll limit my thoughts because one of my beefs with it gives away the ending. Short version: the film is mistitled. Way too much footage of the people and not enough of Mari and her three puppies. =P
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • After having lots of people we met while walking Akai, my husband and I but Hachi in our Netflix queue. We recently watched it. It was great, but very sad indeed.
  • SayaSaya
    I liked Mari and her three puppies got the DVD I wish it had more of Mari and her pups being in the town..
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I've seen Hachi before and had pretty much avoided it ever since because I just. Can't. Stop. Crying.... Dru never saw it and it was on Netflix so we watched it tonight... never again, my heart just can't handle it. I just cried and cried and cried, it was so bad. Ecspecially that moment when 10 years later his widow is walking and sees Hachi and it looks as if she's seen a ghost, omg, I was bawling... crying right now just thinking about it. I have to say tho, I want that tag he has for my Hachiko.
    Post edited by KitsuneSakakino at 2013-04-14 23:28:26
  • knnwangknnwang
    Haven't seen that movie yet. But it sounds like shiba propaganda .
  • knnwang said:

Haven't seen that movie yet. But it sounds like shiba propaganda .

Especially since it isn't about Shibas, but is about an Akita.

The Japanese version is MUCH better. And it's still not like it's a great movie, but really, go for the Japanese version.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-04-15 01:30:38
  • DebDeb
    I have it on DVD, the Richard Gere version. It is a very sad story. And that is just what it is, a story. I would have a huge problem allowing the family dog to go wild and live on charity. It couldn't be allowed because it amounts to abandonment, in reality.

The real Hachi was very much in another place and time.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I mentioned this on the Nihon ken side, and may as well mention it here, too.

There is a new e-Book by Mayumi Itoh about Hachi, aiming to be more factually based and putting the story in historical context:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hachi-Truth-Legend-Famous-ebook/dp/B00BNBWDQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1365368642&sr=1-1

Prime members can borrow it free on their Kindle.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • amtiamti
    I've never seen the movie although I have heard how much my dogs look like the dog in Hachi. I've also been to Shibuya station and waited many many times in front of the real Hachiko statue, which is a very popular meeting place in Tokyo.

I really wish Richard Gere would stop remaking the good Japanese movies. I disliked his version of, "Shall We Dance" so I don't plan to watch Hachi anytime soon.
  • DabishDabish
    I used about 2 hours a few weeks ago to watch Hachi instead of studying for my final. I've cried during movies, but I have NEVER cried for a consistent 30 minutes during a movie before. I looked like a red eyed, puffy, snotty dragon afterward.
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    i always thought it was about a shiba not an akita?
    ugh still very sad movie but i never knew the original sotry was about an akita not a shiba, now im kinda dissapointed they did that. stupid hollywood
    Post edited by CrystalWolf at 2013-05-20 21:43:46
  • shibamistressshibamistress

i always thought it was about a shiba not an akita?
    ugh still very sad movie but i never knew the original sotry was about an akita not a shiba, now im kinda dissapointed they did that. stupid hollywood

Did what? The movie still was about an Akita. They just used Shiba puppies because it was too hard to find Japanese Akita puppies to film. It was still Akita adults.

This is an interesting site by the producer of the Richard Gere version, and has some really funny discussions about working with the dogs. Apparently they told him that at first he couldn't even look at the dogs, let alone touch them! :lol: As the producer states, they always intended to be true to the breed (though honestly, some of the AAs looked closer to what those old school Akitas looked like, rather than the newer Japanese Akitas, but I'm still glad they chose JAs)

http://www.vickiwongandhachi.com/the-amazing-animal-trainers-and-akitas-a-cautionary-tale.html

(and even knowing what was going to happen, it still makes me teary! they were good at manipulating emotion in that version, even as I was appalled about things, and was also just focusing on the dogs!)
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-05-20 21:57:23
  • DabishDabish
    This thread inspired me to watch the movie again, and this time I told my mama to join me since she'd never seen it. Even though I already knew what was going to happen, I was still a blubbery snotty mess for the whole last half hour.

My mom thought it was touching and sad, but didn't shed a single.tear. not one!!!!

0________0
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    They used a shiba. Cause all these yrs since I've seen it i thought it was about shibs not an Akita
  • sunyatasunyata
    @CrystalWolf - The Shiba was only used for a puppy (in the US version), since it was too hard to find an Akita Inu puppy. However, the adult dog (in both movies) is an Akita Inu. If you think the adult was a Shiba, perhaps you should watch it again... Shibas definitely do not get that big, nor do they look like an Akita Inu. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • tadavis0tadavis0
    I'm with the other person who commented about crying and crying and.crying I was non functional the whole weekend we watched it on Friday and I was worthless sat and Sunday. I said that I will name my next pup after this movie bc it touched me so deeply.
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    At the time I watched it I knew nothing of an Akita and little about shibas. But it has been a long time since I've seen it.
    Yeah it was an Akita NOT a Shiba, except for the puppies,as already noted. (the link above talks about the producer wanting to find the right Akita, how they used three Akitas, etc. They wanted to be true to the original story.)
  • BootzBootz
    My friend just recently watched it and now she wants a JA. :( I already warned her about getting a JA...(she currently has a yorkie) lol.
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    I thought they used Shibas because they were more portable and it's hard to pick up an Akita puppy and stick him in a messenger bag.

I thought they used Shibas because they were more portable and it's hard to pick up an Akita puppy and stick him in a messenger bag.

?

Akita puppies are small too, just not as small. But they said why they used them--because they couldn't find JA puppies at the time they needed them for filming (probably not in the right color pattern either for JAs, since they would have to have reds to match the adult dog).

• lindsaytlindsayt
    I heard the real reason for using Shiba puppies was that they were cuter and less dopey looking than the JA puppies. JA puppies go thru a really akward stage where they are all floppy and have floppy ears it seems.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I love both the the jap and american version! Sometimes it can be very refreshing to have a good cry.

I think the movie aired in Hungary a couple of days ago as well: I was walking my shiba and akita yesterday and a very very old lady came up to me and started talking. I managed to tell her that I don't understand much hungarian, so she pointed to my shiba and said "Hachi?" and started making some gestures that I figured meant she was crying all the time while watching it.

I tried pointing to my akita and say that he is the same breed as Hachi was, but I don't think she understood it. So she had a little conversation with my shiba before she told me I was very lucky and went on her way. Cute, but strange <3
  • KikkiKikki
    I've always been a big crybaby when watching movies. I get easily absorbed. Even back when I was child (cried when I watched Lion King ehm..). But yeah, at the end of the movie, my nose was so clogged up, I had o breathe through my mouth.

Many children that see Yuna say, look, it's Hachi! So I guess the movie gave Shiba Inus a lot of exposure and many people recognize them from the movie without knowing anything about the breed.
    photo 09add2ab-be4c-4b53-98a7-1a6bc4311b43_zps71ebc933.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)