For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
The Oldest Shiba Inu
  • Hey guys,

I met a guy in Petsmart who told me that he had a friend who owned 2 shibas: one was 19 and the other was 20...

I was just wondering how old your shibas are (or were when they passed). Thanks!

www.raisingashibahybrid.blogspot.com
  • Can't answer this because my shiba's still very much alive and kicking, but I thought this link would be of interest:

http://www.shiba-inu.nl/Shiba-Inu.Nl_Eng/the-shiba-veteran-top-25.htm
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • I can't answer this either. Stella is under a year old.
  • I was just curious as to how old all the shibas out there were. They don't necessarily have to have passed; I just wanted to know how old the majority was. Thanks! =)
    Post edited by willlui at 2010-09-27 01:20:33
  • Oh, I love that site! Look at all those old Shibas!

My Shibas are young yet. 6 and 5. But I didn't really know how old Shibas can live to be....I was thinking maybe 15 or so....They have much longer lives than I expected! Makes me sad to think that my Akita will probably only make it to 11 or 12....:(
  • SayaSaya
    I remember reading on the shiba dogster forum a owner went to some Japanese store and the owner has a shiba that's 21 years old and still takes walks just fine.

I hope Saya lives to her 20s.

Saya is a year and four months old she'll be two in April 20th. =)
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Oh well then in that case, I'll answer for my 5 yr 8 month old Shiba, but I'm rounding up. =)
  • MyloMylo
    Mylo is 9 and a half. He's still very young at heart. Still chases his tail, plays tug, and shiba 500s like the best of 'em =0)
  • I've read that they usually live 15-17 yrs. old. I am hoping MoJo at least lives that long. I try to feed him everything healthy, give him vitamins and use Salmon Oil. Foods that are processed with preservatives scare me a little. I use Merrick BG (before grain) kibble and usually some type of holistic or natural soft food to mix.
  • That is so exciting! I hope Pepper lives that long... but that means she better stop escaping from the house! Who knows what could happen are out there. I don't even want to think about it. =)
  • pamelapamela
    The longevity of this breed is one of the factors that drew me to them. Termi is only 4 months old right now and I see a very long life ahead of him!!
    Pam, Garrett, Termi & Shelby
  • willluiwilllui
    Thanks to all for taking the poll. May all of our Shibas live long and healthy lives!
  • SayaSaya
    I agree that's one of the things that drew me dog breeds like great danes I don't think I could ever own one though they are neat, but I've read they don't live too long.. =\
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    Yeah Great Danes don't live that long. My neighbor has one now that is just over a year old. She's had her since she was a few months old. She's a lovely dog, but this is her 3rd GD in about 10 years. She adopted her last one when she was already a few years old. She really loves GDs and she always says it's so hard for her when each one passes.
  • That's true. It appears that some purebreds tend to have more health issues compared to other breeds. I'm just glad (if everything goes well *knock on wood*) that I won't have to cry over Pepper for many more years to come.
  • IzzyIzzy
    I've just recently found out the extended life expectancy of my pup, nothing could make me happier. It's great to know that Zazoo (most likely) has many, many healthy years ahead of him!
  • JudyJudy
    We adopted Frodo 9 1/2 yrs ago and at that time the shelter thought he was 1 1/2, so he's at least 11. We're hoping he's not any older.
  • My Kirby is a little over 10 years old."He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Anon)
  • mmobedmmobed
    my little Rocky is just 10 months old
  • Hoshi turned 13 years in June. He is a lively, nimble little guy, with a cute little trot. (His back legs do a funny kind of pigeon toed cross over thing). Most people think he's still a puppy because of his movement.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Study regarding age in Shibas: http://www.shibas.org/newstand/how_long_shibas_live.html
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • tobysmomtobysmom
    Toby's microchip is 11yrs old. So we are hoping it sat around a few years before the pet store it was registered to used it. The pound said he was about 6 yrs when we got him in Oct and the vet thought he was 5-8yrs then found the micro chip and said to call the company and ask them the age of the chip. (plus we checked for previous owner scared us since pound said he was not micro chipped) Glad to see he could go past the 12-15yrs that I had read.
  • ShibaMamaShibaMama
    My first shiba, Nikko (RIP) passed away at the age of 4.

I got him from a backyard breeder.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Nova will be 13 in December...every day I have at least one person ask me if she is a puppy. Hopefully that is a good sign that she has A LOT more life in her!
  • SayaSaya
    If I met Nova in person I'd probably ask if she was a puppy too. lol

From her pictures she looks at least 5 or so.
    Photobucket
  • curlytailscurlytails
    A recent discussion in another thread made me want to bump this... It's been a while since this was revisited. R.I.P. Hoshi...

Any older Shibas owned by forum members? Is @mcsassy's Nova the oldest?
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    Kenji will be 14 in November or December (do not have his exact birthdate). He is in good health, still loves going on long walks, perfect bloodwork and just got his teeth cleaned.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Rhondabee, that's so great to hear!
  • @curlytails Thanks for remembering Hoshi. The little passed away this March. He would have been 14 yrs. old this June.
  • btksbtks
    Gidget is 16 yrs 5 mo old and she is in exceptional health. She still enjoys spending hours outside in the backyard. This breed is an excellent join for longevity!
    Post edited by btks at 2016-01-31 23:04:54
  • My Quakey is 4 and 1/2 years old and is really healthy. I am always asked if he is a puppy because he is so energetic and has a delightful little prance when he walks! I adore him and would for him to live to be in his 20s.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)