For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
All Kinds of Known Shiba Allergies
  • MyaMya
    Shibas seem to be one of the most allergy-prone breeds (just my impression) and Mya has an allergy that we've been trying to rule out for almost a year now. We've used the process of elimination on chicken and beef, with no results.

I've heard of shibas allergic to:
    chicken
    wheat
    corn
    beef
    pollen
    grass
    household cleaners
    detergents

(I've heard of siberian huskies being allergic to the soap they used to wash his bowl, and another one was found allergic to the rinsing agent you put in the dishwashing machine to help in the drying)

Does your shiba have an allergy- aside from too much cuddling? If so, what is she allergic to?

Hoping some answers might actually ring a bell and help us discover Mya's allergy and perhaps help other allergy sufferers too.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 09:09:23
  • My mom's bull terrier had an allergy that she for the life of her couldn't pin point. They had this dog on $50 a meal diets to try and figure out what he was allergic to. Turns out it was dust mites. A complete bedding wash and an air purifier cured him all up. Might be worth a shot.
  • We've treated my shiba for increasingly aggravated allergies three years running (he's about five and a half years old now). Turns out this year, he was diagnosed as hypothyroid. Which doesn't mean that he's *not* still allergic to things in the environment... I don't know what's in the air exactly, as I haven't done a thorough serum test. Food-wise, I don't think beef agrees with him, either in kibble or raw form. Small amounts that I've slipped him in the past have been no problem, but Canidae beef & ocean fish gave him terrible runs, and more recently, a meal of raw ox tails and homemade beef liver treats coincided with a round of intense, bloody paw-chewing.

Meanwhile, I found this thread on Dogster most illuminating:
    http://www.dogster.com/forums/Shiba_inu/thread/561709/1
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Bella is allergic to pretty much all grains. She is also allergic to some pollens and grasses. As well as rain and other forms of non-drinking water. (Just kidding on that last part)

Nola seems to have an allergy to cooked chicken. She also does not do well with pork, but I think this is more of a digestion issue than an allergy issue. She does not seem to have any inhalant allergies (as of yet).
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • mattzmattz
    Etsuko seems to be mainly allergic to pollen and other airborne allergens that most humans are allergic to, otherwise I haven't noticed additional allergies.
  • My Shiba is allergic to: grains, chicken, beef, fish and probably dust mites and some pollens. He's even allergic to excitement!
  • my shiba was allergic to all grains and some pollen.

My pit bull is allergic to chicken, eggs, prednisone, grass pollen, ragweed pollen, grain, and bee stings.
  • MyaMya
    Curlytails, thanks for directing me to the allergy discussion on the Dogster forum. I can't believe it! Human Dander??

Thanks to everyone who have responded. You are so lucky to have allergy serum tests available to you there. There is no such thing for canines here in Manila. We have good vets, but no veterinary dermatologists! Argh!

I'm getting desperate as Mya's tail is becoming thinner and thinner. It's half of its original bushiness already! I'm gonna have to keep on applying the topical antibiotic, though I think she's been on it for too long now!
  • Hi Mya (it's Winnie's mom from Dogster)

Winnie's allergies are the following:
    Fowl (duck, chicken, pheasant, turkey)
    wheat & grains
    fleas
    cockroaches
    walnut
    dandelion
    grass pollen
    ragweed pollen
    house dust mites
    mold
  • to Myamamo- just interested in how you found out Winnie was allergic to cockroaches?

Has anyone else had an allergy test done and had cockroach particles come up as an allergy?

I ask because Miyumi has been scratching the past few weeks. At the same time- we moved to a brand new apartment right next to a river and a preserve and have discovered small roach nymphs (australian cockroaches) coming into our building (only half the apts are occupied). We just found out that the exterminators can not spray outside because it will contaminate the water supply in the nature preserve and river next to us. We are trying to get out of our lease because I seem to think not being able to spray outside is a losing battle since we live in south florida.
    Heather, Logan, and two Shibas named Miyumi & Yoshiro
    Post edited by Miyumi_Pup at 2011-10-05 10:52:57
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Miyumi_Pup - it is part of a standard blood allergy test. Almost every dog that I have known to have a blood allergy test has tested positive for an allergy to cockroaches.

Weird, I know...

And that stinks about the new apartment. Is there any way you could get them to use a natural pesticide, such as Diatomaceous earth?

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • They have dusted inside our apt and sprayed inside. But they can not spray or dust outside. We did it ourselves last night when Miyumi started growling at our front door. Turns out a large adult Australian cockroach came in from under the door. I don't think it matters if they dust behind our appliances because it doesn't stop them from coming in. The new apts were billed as luxury by the river but the construction is very poor. If they can't treat outside our unit- I don't see how they can control the bug population (that includes all Florida winged creatures and ants). We have boric acid so we dusted outside our front door and down our outside hall. This morning there were armies of dead bugs from spiders to beetles outside. I just really want to move. I am from CA so I am not used to tropical climate and the bugs/frogs/lizards/snakes that come with it.

But Thank you for the info. It is weird but I am sure the recent bug developments haven't helped matters with Miyumi's itching. We started steam mopping the wood floors every day but you can only do so much.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Oh wow... That is just ridiculous that they can not use DE outside. Although, maybe those roaches are a protected species or something, haha.

And yes, the East Coast is FAMOUS for its ridiculous amount of insects. Does your lease say anything about pest control being part of the normal maintenance? If so, I would use that as grounds to terminate the lease with no penalty. I absolutely could not live somewhere where the bugs just felt free to intrude on my living space. I am totally cool with them outside, but NOT in my house. Luckily, if something happens to get in, the dogs usually take care of it pretty quickly. :)

Also, if you have not already done so, you might talk to your vet about putting Miyumi on an antihistamine, such as benedryl to see if that helps.

Good luck with everything, and keep us updated.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • A great many Shibas have allergies. I would say it probably isn't just one thing but a combination of multiple irritants on top of what your dog is already allergic to. I trip to an veterinary dermatologist can be of help (see link below).

It sounds like you have moved into new construction. With new construction it needs to breath, meaning there are product elements that are irritating that have to air out....formaldehyde in carpets, arsenic in timber framing, glues in flooring and cabinets. Much of it can be undetectable to some human noses but may very well be causing an allergy flair for your dog.

To add ....allergy related issues are not just about food usually, it is commonly environmental. Molds, fungi, and pollen found on common grasses, lake edges, and streams as part of decomposition. Often early morning and evening are the worst as the dew holds the mold low to the ground. What the molds don't throw your dog's way, mid day adds pollen to the mix. (keep your pup wiped down coming in from walks and keep bedding washed.)

Each dog is different and narrowing it down usually requires some professional help. Even if you got rid of all the roaches and insects in the world I don't think that would fully solve the problem.

Diatomaceous earth/powder is a good way to rid of some insect pests but do not place it in areas your dog can inhale the particulates or where it would get kicked up by wind or ac vents blowing it around.

You best bet is to get your dog to the vet so that you can prevent further irritation for your Shiba. Once a full flair occurs it can take a long time to work through. Also allergies tend to get worse with age so really a vet dermatologist might be the best option in the long run.

https://www.acvd.org/locator/locator.asp

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-10-05 13:10:38
  • Thanks! I have been photo copying reports and all my documentation to try and get out of our lease without penalty. I think they should have disclosed they can't spray outside before we moved in.

Miyumi was given antihistamine yesterday and we have a two week supply as temporary relief. I will still keep her on her grain free, poultry free food- do the oatmeal baths- and try to get her cockroach free. ;) It could be a coincidence that she started scratching more since the whole cockroach episode. But better safe than sorry.

Thanks again.
  • Hi Again. Management is moving us to a new building away from the preserve and river. we are hoping for the best. Otherwise its a $2500 lease break fee. now we need to wait 6 weeks to see if there is an improvement with the food change.
  • Keep us updated! I've actually just come to the realization that Rubee has allergies. I've been thinking she might for a while, but wasn't sure...then I looked up symptoms and she fits them perfectly. She gets diarrhea occasionally, for no reason at all, and it's gone as quickly as it started. I've been giving her a digestive enzyme and that seems to help sometimes...She also is very teary-eyed all the time, but she's an emotional, velcro-dog who cries and sulks if we stop petting her, so I mostly attributed it to that. But now she's started chewing her paws and she compulsively licks her nose. We're pretty sure we have mold in our apartment so some of it could be from that, but I think she also has a food allergy...Our other Shiba has no problems at all, though.
    signature
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    How do you guys go about determining your shiba's allergies? Is there a surefire way to know all the things your puppy is allergic to - blood test?

Leo will scratch himself a lot in this manner - he'll stand on three legs and just use one of his hind legs to scratch near the belly/undercoat area. And he sometimes bites his legs.

I'm confident he doesn't have any fleas or ticks.
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • sunyatasunyata
    A lot of times (especially for food allergies), it is trial and error. That is how I found out about Bella's grain allergies and Nola's poultry and pork allergies.

With inhalant allergies, it is a bit different. They do offer blood tests, but they are not always accurate. And while a scratch test is much more accurate, it is very uncomfortable for the dogs, and can be quite pricy.

If Leo's scratching is fairly recent, do not forget that coat blowing season is among us. The dogs scratch quite a bit more while blowing coat, as it can be quite itchy.

If the scratching is excessive or is causing skin irritation, get Leo to a vet asap.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I've actually heard that the serum test where they draw blood and test for potential allergens is supposedly more accurate, but is pricier, and both serum and intradermal tests are still prone to false positives. I did have a vet who downright discouraged me from hanging my hopes on those tests due to their inaccuracy, but I know that they've been very informative for many allergic pet owners.

There is also a new saliva test for food sensitivities from Hemopet.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-11-13 14:52:11
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    @Sunyata - Leo is 12 weeks now and I'm starting to think it's a combination of him losing his puppy coat and blowing his coat (can he blow his coat before losing his puppy coat?)

I noticed hair is coming off in clumps, especially when he scratches himself. To help with the loose fur, I gave him a bath today and his coat seems noticeable thinner - I take this as a surefire sign of him blowing his coat.

What do you all think?

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • LosechLosech
    Yeah, sounds like he's blowing his coat. Conker gets more itchy than normal when he's shedding and the fur just comes off real easy.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Agreed. It definitely sounds like coat blowing. Give him a couple of weeks, and maybe add some salmon oil to his food. See if this helps with the excess scratching. If not, then you might want to take him to the vet just for a check up and to talk about allergies.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Yeah I'm going to get some salmon oil.

What brand do you all use? I hear Grizzly's a lot but the recent 2011 reviews all show that they've added Rosemary Oil which the dogs all hate for some reason.

Alaskan Bear Treats All Natural Wild-Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs - anyone use this?

Also - if you use salmon oil, do you feed from a bowl then? I've been hand feeding + Kong Wobbler. I'll hand feed as much as he will eat, then fill up the Wobbler and leave that out. When I use salmon oil, will that make everything messy?

Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2011-11-14 12:32:15
  • sunyatasunyata
    I have been using Grizzly's, and have not noticed a difference in whether my dogs eat it or not...

I have also looked at Life Span's and Alaskan Bear Treats' salmon oil. They both look fine, but Grizzly's is usually less expensive.

I squirt some on their morning meal. However, if you hand feed, I can see where that could be ridiculously gross... So maybe just squirt it on a spoon and let him lick it up? The dogs love it, so I am sure Leo would lap it right up! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • HamletHamlet
    None of the Shibas I've heard of have rivaled our family's Westie for allergies. In fact, that's one of the reasons that I was researching dogs other than Westies for our first pet. The breed, for some reason, is extremely prone to allergies, particularly skin allergies - which tend to manifest in skin irritation, hair loss, and itching. For about 3-5 years, our Westie actually had little or no hair due to all her itching - and this was with medications and a special diet. She actually only improved once my mom started home-cooking for her: ground pork, rice, carrots and green beans with supplements.

We asked our breeder about allergies he's encountered with his Shibas. His recommendation was that to avoid allergies, other than seasonal ones, stick to a mostly fish-based diet with some poultry/pork supplements, but he's found dogs of his who eat mostly chicken-based foods or beef-based foods have more food allergies. Hamlet is 2 years old now and has no allergies other than some minimal seasonal sneezing/snorting that happens for a day or two when we change seasons.

Salmon oil is extremely greasy and has a strong odor, so I highly recommend AGAINST using it if you hand-feed! You might want to look into supplementing his diet with some fish-based treats or other treats supplemented with Omega-3 oils rather than just using salmon oil.

And as for coat blowing...yep, sounds like it. Right now, Hamlet is blowing coat and my husband had to stop mid-walk to pull fuzz from his butt "so he doesn't look like he has some strange disease". XD
    Post edited by Hamlet at 2011-11-14 16:44:04
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Hmm - well I just purchased another 15lb bag of Wellness Just for Puppy and 32 ounces of Grizzly Salmon Oil on Amazon.

It's okay - I'll just hand feed less and let him eat from his bowl to avoid my hands smelling like fish. I'm seriously considering free feeding; he seems very picky about when he wants to eat. Sometimes I feel like he's not eating enough because he doesn't want to eat when I'm feeding him. He weighed 8.86 lbs at 12 weeks.

Are there any puppy foods that's fish based? I think after this 15lb bag of Wellness, I'm going to try some other food rotations. I asked this in the other thread but can you rotate foods for puppies, especially young ones around 12 weeks? Or should I stick to a more stable diet until he's older - say 6 mnths or 1 year?

Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2011-11-14 17:20:34
  • BootzBootz
    Totw is coming out with a puppy version of their pacific stream, fish based grain free dog food. Should be out soon, since they said mid November. I dont see a problem with rotating foods with puppies, Bootz is on her third brand/protein and she's only 5 months. It helps them stay interested, and its nice to see them get excited with new food.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    @Bootz - Ooh, nice to know. Their website shows that it's already in stores so I'll keep an eye open for that!

• LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    @sunyata - Do you follow the guidelines on the Grizzly bottle? The bottle came in today. I suppose the guidelines are for the full day... So it says to pump 1/2 - which means if I use it in 2 meals, that should be 1/4 pump per meal?

My initial reaction to the salmon oil was less than impressed. It didn't seem to make too much of a difference in the kibble's appeal for Leo. Haha such a picky dog.

• lindsaytlindsayt
    Try a tablespoon of meat on his kibble with some warm water, or warm it on the stove. That helps my pickier eater. Kibble is pretty boring.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • sunyatasunyata
    @LeoJDHu - I only give salmon oil once a day... So each pup gets about a half pump at breakfast. Sometimes it is on their kibble (if I am in a hurry), other times, they get to lick it out of a spoon. (I think they like the spoon method better.)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that :}

• starrystarry
    Hey, I know this is an old thread but,
    Does anyone's shiba sneeze as an allergic reaction???
    I was transitioning evie to blue wilderness salmon and she started sneezing multiple sneezes in succession and a lot of occurrences, so much that she got nosebleeds and was scratching her nose raw.
    The sneezing slowed down a couple days after I switched her back to her old food, and now it has stopped.
    There were no other signs, stool was fine, no hair loss, skin looked good, no scratching or chewing at her feet...
    I was thinking maybe pollen or grass, but she goes outside now and doesn't sneeze...

I don't think I've heard of a shiba allergic to salmon nor one with sneezing as the symptom.
    Does anyone have a similar situation or other speculations?
  • sunyatasunyata
    Sneezing is not associated with a food allergy. It is associated with inhalant allergies or foreign substances in the nasal passage.

Perhaps that type of food (or particular bag) had a lot of loose particles that she inhaled?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Yes most certainly there are dogs that are allergic to Salmon and salmon oil, fish and fish oils. What a dog is allergic to can vary greatly across the board even in the same household. Yep, unfortunately allergic reactions are individual to the specific animal. There are some things that seem to have a greater influence in causation (say grasses, pollen, mold and dust mites or particular food stuffs) but it isn't necessarily the same fixed across all dogs in a breed.

I know great answer, not something that I wanted to hear in treating my dogs. Anyway, as a result each owner has to work the issue out for each animal, and if you are as unlucky as we have been it has required getting down to the nitty gritty with the help of a veterinary dermatologist.

Sneezing can be a sign but it is generally not the only sign, from what I have observed inverted sneezing is more common in the allergic dog.

Hope this helps to answer part of your question
    Snf
  • atlasatlas
    What should be my very first step in determining a cause of allergies?

Mitsu is about two and a half years old and has never shown signs of allergies. Then, about a month and a half ago, she started chewing at her paws more frequently. I thought at first it was because she upset a few ants one day and that they had possibly bitten her as a result, but it's only gotten worse.

I'm thinking it's allergies, because I've seen this with my dalmatian. With my dalmatian, though, we are able to control his seasonal allergies with claritin. I called my old vet, who is now far away from me, to get her opinion and she told me I could try half a claritin with Mitsu. Well, it isn't making any difference at all.

Her ONLY symptom is the itching. No sneezing, no gastrointestinal problems, etc. She hasn't had any fur loss, but yesterday I noticed that her paws are starting to look irritated.

She eats a raw diet based primarily on chicken and turkey, and all her treats are grain free and varied proteins, like lamb and beef and deer.

I'm going to take Mitsu to the vet, but the problem I have is that I can't take her to the vet until my next day off (Oct. 29 - because my vet is only open Mon - Fri and I can't take off right now). There's a clinic that I can go to on Saturday that I'm considering doing, because it's a walk-in clinic, but they don't know anything about Mitsu so it'd be kind of a random visit. Pretty sure I'm going to do that, but I'm worried that they'll be like, "Just take this!" and give me steroids or something.

Is it best to stop giving her ALL treats and maybe feed her one protein only, like rabbit or lamb or something? I don't really know where to start figuring out what is causing this.

Post edited by atlas at 2012-10-11 14:37:50
  • Ugh, allergies. I'm kind of in the position Atlas is with my Leo, the Kai Ken. He's itchy like crazy. He also gets a raw diet, mostly chicken. He gets lots of fish oil (in fact, we upped it when he started getting itchy).

I guess if we really want to know if it is food, we have to do an elimination diet (so yeah, one novel protein only, though a lot of elimination diets do a novel protein and a carb of some sort). I just havent' done it yet, because, yeah, it's a pain in the ass, and what if he's allergic to chicken? I keep hoping it is some sort of seasonal thing.

(my male shiba has inhalant allergies. Eventually, if they are bad enough, he will start sneezing and wheezing, but his first symptoms are just itchiness, and he scratches at his underarms and licks at his paws. Leo is doing some of this, so I keep thinking, maybe it is inhalant? Though it's probably not). I have noticed that Leo's coat is just not that great right now. It feels dry and coarse, even though he's getting more fish oil than anyone else (and the other dogs have beautiful soft coats). So something is going on with him.

Juniper pollen is quite bad here, and it seems it hits all of us--human and canine alike. Everyone has runny/itchy eyes right now.

I have no solutions, except the elimination diet, which I'm resisting right now.
  • atlasatlas
    I haven't been on the forum much because I've been really busy with classes (now we have both rally and agility, plus socialization classes for our newest addition) and such, but I thought I would update this real quick to say that my vet doesn't think it's food-related. She said that food allergies typically make the dog's entire body itch, and because Mitsu is just focusing on her paws/legs, she thinks it's some kind of pollen. We're trying a new prescription allergy med and she also recommended wiping off Mitsu's feet with a baby wipe when she comes in from outside.

I'm also taking a break from chicken and turkey, because we started that before I was able to see the vet, but we'll probably put her back on poultry here in a couple of months, after we've used up the raw we have now.

She said she can refer us to a dermatologist and we can always consider allergy testing, but I'm hoping that won't be necessary. She mentioned steroids too but she doesn't think we're in a position where we need to try those yet.

Mitsu's coat actually has been feeling dry and coarse also, but it turns out that she somehow managed to get a tapeworm (she gets treated for fleas every month and I have never seen a flea on her, but I guess she managed to ingest one somehow regardless??) and I know that those can cause coarse fur, too.
  • Kaya_BearKaya_Bear
    My girl has an allergy but I'm not sure yet what it is. She scratches her face, nose, and sides of her mouth from time to time. Usually she does this with her paws and she recently cut her lower lip and it bled a little. She'll also rub her nose into the carpet to satisfy her itch. She doesn't do this too often but enough that I know for sure she is allergic to something. We feed her Wellness Core grain-free and she loves it. I don't think she has a grain allergy but just in case. We don't bathe her very much either because I've read that shiba inus produce an oil in their coat that protects them from heat and cold and can also help to keep their fur clean. (Although that doesn't mean anything when she chases squirrels and gets filthy along the way.) But some shampoos and bathing too often can cause skin allergies in dogs.
    photo 8cdd9b46-aaa9-4cfc-8c3f-693b94b32da8_zps2ccdd366.jpg
  • RikkaRikka
    Sagan has been confirmed to be allergic to whitefish (cod, haddock, whiting, pollock, among others). He's fine with salmon, but anything beyond that, he goes into a spiral of scratching himself to the point of bleeding. We didn't realize we were triggering his allergies when we were feeding him Acana Pacifica... We'd also give him treats that were "fishy" in nature, or even pure fish skins. :|

He's still on ~50% raw diet, so when we notice him scratching more than usual, we'll up his intake on raw food and brush him more, which seems to help, but I'm happy we finally pinpointed what was making him itch so much in the past.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • I've only had Winston for a week, but I think he's allergic to something either in our house or outside. He didn't show any symptoms until he had been here for a few days and they're getting worse.

He's been sneezing a lot, scratching, biting/grooming his legs, feet, and sides, and huffing a little when he breathes. He sneezed 5 times in a row this morning. We started switching him from Purina Puppy Chow Chicken and Rice to Blue Buffalo Freedom Chicken Recipe, which is grain, gluten, soy, corn, and wheat free. I've been reading that Shibas can be allergic to chicken, but I figured since the Purina was also chicken and he was okay with that he would be okay with the Blue chicken. We also give him Blue Bits chicken treats.
    We got him in Georgia and he's currently living with us in Virginia, so I'm wondering if it could be different plants/pollens that he could be allergic to. Our house is very clean (my dad is a neat freak and a germaphobe) and we have wood floors and wool carpets, though Winston seems to really love the carpets.

I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow for allergy testing... poor little guy.

(Editing to say he got a clean bill of health from the vet last Wednesday, so I'm pretty sure it's allergies.)
    Post edited by willgraham at 2014-11-30 15:16:31
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    It sounds like a food allergy. There is a possibility for environmental allergies, but not usually during the winter season. We also live in Virginia and Kira has seasonal allergies in spring and autumn, but not right now.

Considering that your Shiba was on Purina (yuck), more than likely it's the food. Keep in mind that it can sometimes take 2 weeks to a month for the old food to work itself out of his system.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • I agree with @Kira_Kira in that it sounds like a food allergy. I would suggest having your little one allergy tested. I have a vet visit for Quake this Saturday and I will be getting him allergy testing and a full blood panel in addition to his vaccinations and heartworm test. I just want to make sure he's fine.
  • We took him to the vet today and she wasn't concerned about his sneezing, but since he had loose stools and mucus in his stool this morning they did a fecal test and found bacteria in it. He's on some medicine now so he should be better in a few days.

She also said that Blue Buffalo is good food for him, but it's really rich so he might have loose stools with it for a bit, especially since he's a puppy. If his stomach is still upset after his treatment, I might switch to the fish flavored Blue instead.
  • @willgraham,

I fed blue buffalo wilderness until I learned banjo had some food sensitivities. I then put him on raw and its been amazing. FWIW, my lil guy isn't fond of chicken (i still feed it occasionally as there is no harm in the monthly meal of chicken breast when I am lazy), but it sounds food related.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I wish I could do a raw diet, but time and money are an issue. My schedule isn't consistent and I really don't have time to prep any meals for Kira. :(

Since I want the best food for her, I do have her on Acana and she absolutely loves it. I do also avoid chicken-based diets as well because I used to have a Lab that was allergic to chicken. And of course, I definitely avoid wheat in her diet because I know that she is allergic to that - it makes her lose fur on the inside of her legs.

@willgraham -
    The Blue Buffalo chicken would be better than fish, in case you are concerned about him reacting to chicken!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • @willgraham-Quake's vet wasn't oncerned about his sneezing either and she said the itching was likely due to Quake having very dry skin. I have been giving him Grizzly Salmon oil supplement and also some coconut oil in his food. His itching has decreased some but he still itches. I feed him Wellness Core no grain kibble and he loves it. The treats he gets are no grain treats. I would rather spend the extra money on allergy testing just to make sure.
  • sunyatasunyata
    A puppy that young will generally not exhibit allergies. The issues are most likely from dry skin, loss of puppy coat, fleas, or some other external issue.

Put him on a good quality kibble (unless you opt for raw) that has minimal fillers and a lower protein content (<30%). Once the bacteria is cleared up and you keep him on a consistent diet, you should see an improvement in his stool quality. <br />
    Give the pup a bath (and make sure you check for fleas if your vet did not do so) with some soothing oatmeal bath (not soap). See if that helps the itching.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • We took him to an emergency vet last night because we saw blood in his stools and they found clostridium, so now he's on another medicine and a bland diet (prescription only wet food) for 3 days.
    The vet said to wean him off of the bland diet to whatever food we want to keep him on - so I'm confused as to whether we should go with the Purina or the Blue. She said to pick one instead of mixing it... I'm tempted to just go straight to the Blue because it's better for him. Poor little guy has been pretty upset by all of this so I hope it clears up soon :(

The vet did check for fleas and didn't find any. After he's feeling better I'm going to give him a bath. I'm still not entirely convinced he isn't allergic to our wool rugs or something outside, but I guess we'll see. I actually live in Georgia most of the year, so at least if it is environmental, it might go away when I take him back with me in January.
  • ummm please don't put him on Purina if you can afford a better food.

Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2014-12-02 14:31:57

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)