For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Ear cleaning
  • Bowdu's recently started tilting his head and shaking his head a lot, but only when we take off his cone (he's still in his cone, as he's been all summer while we allow his skin to heal). I read that these kinds of symptoms are common to hypothyroid dogs. My concern is that he started doing this while he was already on day 15 out of 20 or so of Enrofloxacin (ingested as pills, fights a range of bacterial and fungal issues -- not a topical treatment for his ears specifically). He's also already been on thyroid hormone supplements for a few weeks now, so I would hope that symptoms associated with hypothyroidism are *decreasing* rather than multiplying.

He's due in for another vet checkup soon enough, so I'll be sure to ask about this. I don't think he's actually got an ear infection, nor can I see anything down there. In the meantime, I was wondering if you guys could recommend any over-the-counter or home ear-cleaning remedies.

FWIW, I did find this site:
    http://dogearinfection.org/

The blog's author seems mainly to be on an anti-yeast campaign, stressing natural and holistic methods of caring for dog ears. Diet should not be a problem as he was on Primal Raw (turkey & sardine, lamb recipes) through July and August, and recently on Orijen six fish in the morning and raw in the evening. He's got some recommendations here and there, but I'd be happy with an over-the-counter product that just works.

Thanks in advance.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Quick fyi...I have noticed sometimes the cone will prevent the aeration of the ears with Shibas that have to wear a cone for long durations. Maybe try a different type of cone to allow the air circulation and trade cone brands (donut type or bite not).

While your pup has to wear the cone(s) check ears daily. Use Nolvasan Otic to help before the problem becomes worse with pain. I would not squirt the solution directly into ears but instead place some on a cotton ball and wipe into ears and do it daily until things are on the mend.

I know they hate it but Otic done daily with cone rotation should help to keep the ears dried out.

Snf

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Nolvasan+Otic-prod1972.html
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2010-09-13 14:07:20
  • Yikes Snf, that's the most expensive ear cleaner at Pet Meds! *laugh* But if you say it really does work better than the others, I'll go for it. Bowpi could use some ear cleaning as well, though she is relatively problem-free compared to Bowdu.

Thanks also for the tip on donut cones. I saw those, but was skeptical. Bowdu's already managing to get around his Kong XL e-collar now, so I wouldn't be surprised if he could get around the donut as well given his flexibility. But I haven't actually tried it.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Oh I see the price....was not looking at that just wanted to show what the bottle looks like. Shop around and go elsewhere to purchase. That $ is too high unless it is a gallon container.

As far as the cones go, I don't know what areas you are trying to prevent licking. It does not really stop front paw licks. The donut does help well with the ear ventilation though.
    BTW We had to get Large (for girls) and XL for the boys in that brand.

Regardless of brand/product they get tricky in learning how to shake off, crack/split, chew and maneuver to get out of them. I do not think they were meant for a good long term solution, but certainly better than nothing.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2010-09-13 17:48:52

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)