For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Outer coat thinning out
  • InoushiInoushi
    Kenshin has suddenly started to drop a ton of his outer coat, to the point you can easily see his undercoat. His ears which are mostly made up of his outer coat on the back, are also going bald in spots. I'm not sure if this is just the start of shedding season or if this a growth thing. I thought it may have been allergies, but I'm not sure if allergies would leave his undercoat alone and just effect his outer coat. I have him on wellness puppy and he is also on flea and tick preventatives. He is also six months (if that helps). Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 11:23:19
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    You might want to google Alopecia in dogs. There are numerous causes for hair loss. If necessary consult your vet.
    犬竜
  • I would guess either food allergies or thyroid issues.....either way, it's not normal and it will need to be looked into, and probably is going to be a bit of long road to find a solution, as you'll have to figure out if it is allergies (and if so, to what). Might be easier to begin with a thyroid test, since at least that will eliminate one possible problem.
  • InoushiInoushi
    I just find it weird because there is no scaling or reddening of the skin like my other dog who has allergies. He scratches a bit more then normal but only in short bursts, usually his ears or underbelly. He first lost the hair on the back of his ears a few months ago when he went into my friend's yard. He came up and I suddenly noticed a small patch missing on the back of his ear. I didn't let him go back down, and weeks later he suddenly lost hair on the back of his other ear. Can this sort of hair less be occurring because of him being out too much in the sun, or the heat? When he steps in into direct sunlight he almost looks pained by it and will quickly run to shade. Right now the fur loss doesn't seem to be a problem for him he acts like a normal happy pup.
  • MyloMylo
    It's likely not caused by the sun. Your pup is probably reacting this way because the guard (outer) hairs usually provide a layer of UV protection. Dogs aren't used to having direct sunlight on their skin.

As for the cause of the hair loss, I'm not sure, but it should be checked out by your vet.
  • My female shiba Sophie had unexplained hair loss without itching or redness. We took her to the vet and she has hypothyroidism. As this is becoming more common in shibas, I would definitely get yours tested.
  • This topic interested me because all of a sudden MoJo started to be itchy and is scratching. We thought it was fleas and gave him a flea bath. He's still scratching. The only real difference is that we ran out of Salmon oil for about a month now and haven't replaced it. He was on it faithfully since a puppy at the breeders. COULD THAT BE THE PROBLEM??? I'm also curious...does the omega 3 have to be for dogs? I read on here that some people use human Omega 3 capsules. Is that recommended? They said they give their shiba two 100 mg caps a day. Does that sound right? Help :(
  • MyloMylo
    Diane, your itchy issue is probably related to the omega 3 change in Mojo's diet. Mylo used to be super itchy but since I started giving him an omega 3 capsule every night before bed, he's been great. I give "human" omega 3 to Mylo. There's a big long thread about it (so we don't need to thread-jack this one lol.) I'll try to find the link for you.

In Ariel's case, I don't think that Omega 3 would help. It's probably best to get tests done for Hypothyroidism. Also Ariel, it's a good idea to call your breeder and ask if any other pups have been diagnosed or if they know about the issue. It's important to both ask for that information, and if you get a confirmation of Hypothyroidism from your vet, your breeder NEEDS to know, so that they don't breed the issue in the future.
  • InoushiInoushi
    I did ask the breeder before about any of these issues, and she said no. I am going to look into this being the possibility more, though he isn't showing any other symptoms. My vet has so far recommended I get him on a omega supplement first and see if that helps. We are also considering that it may be something outdoors, since he doesn't look itchy inside as much as outside. But if those two things do not work I am defiantly going to do the testing. My vet thinks he is too young to have any thyroid problems, so he wants to try these things first. But if he starts to loose any more clumps of his outer coat I'm going to run the test anyway.
  • As the momma of a 5+-year-old shiba recently diagnosed as hypothyroid, I'm also an advocate of getting the thyroid testing done, if only to rule it out. Six months does seem young though...

I will add that basenji people (who first alerted me to thyroid issues in general) recommend annual thyroid testing up to four years of age, and then every other year after that for breeding dogs, unless clinical signs suddenly appear. So they are aware that thyroid issues *could* manifest themselves that early, even asymptomatically, but maybe not.

It's hard to tell what's really going on from this description of his external appearance. Lots of other things like Kenshin's behavior, smell, appetite, etc., need to be considered as well. Your vet should know the right questions to ask, so if it's becoming more of a problem (like it doesn't seem to be just a puppy changing coat) or you really want to get some answers, see your vet.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • thanks Mylo...i'm gonna hunt for that thread
  • MyloMylo
    Diane, I left you a message on your profile =0)
  • thanks...i found it. didn't see how I could reply and write back though.
  • My Shiba puppy had a small issue with this too. I gave him a bath and once he was dry he started to shed really bad! I brushed him for a while and he seems to be back to normal. He's still shedding a little bit, but so is my cat. I'm wondering if it is just that time of year, even though it seems early.
    Pam, Garrett, Termi & Shelby
  • InoushiInoushi
    I'm starting to think that as well, my ferret suddenly began to blow his coat the other day (he is dropping much more fur then the puppy) and his outer coat is just floating off whenever he moves. My rottweiler is also starting to do her seasonal shed. I called some friends with double coated dogs and cats, and they reported the same thing. I'm still going to keep Kenshin on the fish oil tablets, just in case. I also think his pup coat is changing more into an adult one, someone remarked to me the other day his undercoat looks a lot longer then it used to. I wasn't expecting the fall shed to occur so early, though I'm not sure if its the result of the really hot summer and then sudden temperature drops.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)