For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How vocal is your shiba?
  • atlasatlas
    I'm asking out of curiosity. When I was first looking into the breed, I read that they tended to be on the quiet side, with the exception of the infamous shiba scream. But I don't think I have ever seen a more vocal puppy than my Mitsuko is. She barks at my dalmatian, barks at the cat, barks at my husband, talks back when scolded, and sometimes seems to just bark to bark (especially during her Shiba 500s). The only time she *doesn't* bark is when someone is at the door.

I don't really mind, though. My dalmatian has always been very vocal, so we are used to it. We are currently working on "that's enough" and she's a very fast learner, so I'm confident Mitsuko will pick it up quickly. But I thought I'd ask about other experiences with the Shiba's vocal abilities.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 11:30:01
  • Kai just starting clearing his throat when he gets frustrated. He'll usually get the yelling when he's demanding we play with him and we refuse. He has yet to bark at anyone other than us tho. And only when he's acting up and we're ignoring him
  • Sakura is fairly quiet. She does bark sometimes but not very often inside the house.
    Usually at one of the cats. If there is an odd noise from outside she might alert us but nothing crazy.

She will get saucy if we tell her "ahah" or "off" but overall she is a lot more quiet than I ever thought she would be.

Outside she is a little bit more vocal but more of a guard or alert type of barking.
    Especially if someone she doesn't like or is making noise that she doesn't like.
  • emmyemmy
    Toby can be very vocal. He "talks" a lot when he's really excited, or frustrated. He will bark more some nights than others. Occasionally, he will have a very vocal day/night, but he's usually pretty quiet. Last weekend I was at a friend's and her dog is SUPER vocal. Made me appreciate my quiet home.
  • nikiniki
    Katsumi hardly ever makes any noise, and we're so disappointed! I see all these videos with howls and singing Shiba and fun noises...but not our dog! She's normally quiet, but when she does bark (like when she's playing with other dogs) her barks are so piercing, it literally hurts your eardrums!
  • TortieTortie
    Emi is just the right amount of vocal. If she wants to get your attention, she'll sit beside you and let out a high-pitched squeak (quite startling if you're not ready for it). She'll make a similar noise, not as high-pitched though, if she's trying to get a dog to play with her, usually during a play bow. She doesn't make a sound when the doorbell rings (thank goodness because my Aussie more than makes up for that haha). Other than that (knock on wood) she's pretty quiet which I am very pleased with.

Oh, forgot to add that if we're outside and she hears an odd noise, she'll grumble a growl and let out a lower-pitched "yip yip" to alert me/scare away whatever it might be. Very cute.
    Post edited by Tortie at 2010-09-01 14:33:04
  • SayaSaya
    Saya is fairly quiet, but during play with Bella or me she can get pretty noisy she sounds like a Tasmanian devil. lol

She'll sometimes do alert parks where she low growls and woofs when she sees something in the forest like a deer, raccoon, or bunny and sometimes at people.

When she was a puppy she was more vocal and during her greetings she'll get a toy, put her ears back, and growl happily to the person that came into the door.

I had to explain to this one lady at the dog park that's how she greets with happy growls I can tell if it's her play growl or a growl saying to back off.

She loves to yodel too when she is happy or playing with me.

Breed descriptions are just that they list the breed's common traits, but sometimes the dog is a bit different.

I'd say shiba inu are a quiet breed compared to others my friend's toy poodle barks a ton compared to Saya..
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • sunyatasunyata
    Bella barks at things that are not quite right (in her eyes at least) or when someone is at the door.

Nola roo's when she says hello. And she has started to howl on occasion. It is super cute.

But for the most part, both of my girls are quite quiet.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • atlasatlas
    Thanks for all the responses! :) I find it interesting, how characteristics like this can vary from dog to dog (or shiba to shiba).
  • I'd say Bowdu is very vocal.

First thing he does every morning is whine and push to be let out the back door, so he can charge, barking, at the corner of our fenced backyard where a raccoon once fell in (quite by accident, I'm sure!). Once he's assured that nothing came and invaded his backyard in the middle of the night, he settles down.

He does tend to bark a lot to protect his territory, particularly against the fence. My neighbors can't really garden there unless he's indoors. =P

He barks when someone's at the door. He hushes when I acknowledge him, but I don't discipline him because I think it's all good -- I want him to be aware, and he's always friendly towards anyone who's been invited into the house.

He offers a robust AROOOOOO to welcome people back home. We actually "talk back" to him in the same way, also as an attempt to get Bowpi (the Basenji) to yodel too, because she's absolutely silent (they do call Basenjis the "barkless" dog, though that's not entirely true).

Lately, since we've started feeding Primal Raw, Bowdu's taken to talking a LOT while I'm preparing the food. He gets quite anxious about how long it takes me to warm up the food (in warm water), add supplements, etc. On one hand, it's amusing. On the other hand, I don't want him getting so agitated over his food.

He growls a LOT when he roughhouses. I think that's why most other dogs don't want to play with him. They don't understand.

Sometimes he "chirps" when he's anxious. He gets REALLY UPSET when people wipe the bed:

Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • nikiniki
    hahaha, why does he get upset when people wipe the bed?? that is so funny!
  • Maeby is real quiet...very similar to the post up top about sakura.
  • Jiro only barks at beverages. Particularly hot coffee (not iced) and beer.
  • Coffee and beer?!? Kai would go hoarse in our house if he had the same quirk.

Or I'd be and *extremely* grumpy, possibly dangerous, individual without my morning pot of coffee and 6 pack on the weekend :p
    Post edited by Kuro_Kai at 2010-09-02 03:54:27
  • "greetings she'll get a toy, put her ears back, and growl happily to the person that came into the door."
  • emmyemmy
    Oh, Toby is so loud at the vet that people ask me about it when we leave. You can hear him scream from the whole building--it's crazy. But he loves people, so they are always shocked to learn that my little friendly furball made ALL THAT NOISE!
  • Kenji is extremely quiet. He only barks when he gets worked up from playing fetch, especially if you don't grab the toy from him within 10 seconds. Every once in a while he'll run about frantically and spin in a circle about 10 times. After doing that, he usually lays down in a guarded position and barks for a few minutes.

That's about it as far as noise is concerned. He never barks at other dogs or while we're out walking around the city.
  • Bear barks to warn us if he feels something is amiss but once we tell him its ok and get up to make sure he quiets down. He howls when he yawns but not as much as when he was a young puppy. We have a new crop of baby ducks outside that come by the front window once a day and he goes nuts if he sees them. Other than that he is pretty quiet.
  • My pup hardly makes a sound unless something is out of the ordinary. He's like some kind of ninja freaks me out when he ends up behind me when I'm not paying attention.
  • marybromarybro
    My Shiba Astro is very vocal. If he's bad and I need to scold him, he yells right back at me. I've notice he's started howling to the song Sweet Escape, every time it comes on the radio. I taped part of it and thought I would share. Does anyone else have a singer?
  • Aiko1Aiko1
    LOL!!!!!!!! @marybro that is amazing!

Aiko is beyond vocal... I honestly just think he likes to hear himself... He will just either
    A. sit on my lap and scream.
    B. lay in my bed and scream.
    C. roll around on the floor with his foxy and scream at it.

Anytime he does it he gets insanely hyper after he is done and starts doing the shiba 500 around the apartment. lol
  • I love Astro's singing and Bowdu's "chirping"! So cute! Roo is a very quiet dog. I have to keep an eye on her because she won't let me know when she needs to go out, she just sits by the door. The only time she will bark is if her toys go under the couch, if she knows that I'm preparing her special food, or if my parent's dogs engage her in a barking match. She will speak on demand though and she's been known to "talk" to me. :P
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Bowdu has gotten downright obnoxious with his dinnertime serenade...

He's been doing this every night shortly after we started feeding raw, about two years ago now. =P I thought my silence and lack of feedback would help him to eventually grow out of it... but I think his song has evolved into his coping mechanism because he just really loves his food! LOL. We feed 2x a day, kibble in the morning and raw/something special at night, and he doesn't do the dinner song for kibble.
  • Hahahah. That is the funniest shiba noise I've ever heard. I love your dogs dinner song!!

Roxi is USUALLY quiet until she gets excited, or if I hold her for to long, then she starts screaming and yelling at me to let her go. I guess she's really only loud when the situation dictates it, but for the most part she's a quiet pup
  • BootzBootz
    @Curlytails, LOL thats so cute. Bootz and Jackie were barking up a storm when they heard Bowdu x_x.

• ^^^^ Roxi stared at my phone, like what is that noise?! Then she ran around the room in a full circle, stopped and stared at my phone again, and just continued that cycle over and over till the video was over haha. This dOg makes me laugh constantly
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I sometimes fear that the neighbors think we abuse him because of the way he cries for his dinner. I think the evidence is pretty clear that we don't starve him (though he gets his portions cut VERY closely because it's harder for him to lose than to gain weight with his hypothyroidism!).

Both dogs definitely perked up when they heard Astro, too. Heh. But they react less to computerized dog sounds now, unless the recording hits at just the right pitch.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-10-03 01:38:30
  • ArcticArctic
    LOL @curlytails, I started playing that and Sansa got all alert and started barking at the computer with her ears perked up. Anyway, Bowdu is a cutie :)
  • atlasatlas
    Haha, great videos! @curlytails, Mitsu makes that same noise when my dalmatian has something she wants (like an antler). She'll lay beside him and make all those high pitched sounds as she watches him chew, haha.

I started this thread about a month after I got my shiba. She's over two years old now, and is more vocal than ever. I'm thankful that we live in a house, now, otherwise I'd probably have some unhappy neighbors. She makes noises for just about anything, and now that we have a new puppy in the house, her playtime/shiba 500 time always involves LOTS of (playful) barking and growling. She does alarm bark now, too, but it's rare and only if she thinks that something is off (if she alarm barks, then I get genuinely concerned, since most noises don't bother her at all - it's only happened a couple of times).

I rarely use a quiet down command these days, because noise isn't an issue where I live anymore, and I enjoy having vocal pets.

Here's a video. She's not nearly as vocal in this video as she usually is (they had played a lot a little while before we took the video so her activity level was a little lower and she was a little quieter), but it gives you an idea. There's a slight lag, but all of those sounds are coming from her (not the puppy).

• marybromarybro
    What Raw food do you feed Bowdu? That chirping is crazy. Astro is vocal with the howling and back talk, but no screaming or chirping. That's a new one for me lol
  • XabiXabi
    My two are very vocal but in opposite ways. My boy, Xabi, is the most vicious grolwer, even during play. It's been a sore subject for some members of the dog park, but I can't really ask him not make any sounds. He's also more likely to whine when he wants something, scream in real or imagined pain and play the diva. And then there's Iker. She's my little devil. Everyone thinks she's so cute, and she is. But she thinks everyone is there to play with her. She'll yodel to taunt the other dogs at the dog park. She doesn't growl like her brother during play, but if any one stops before she's ready, you'll hear it. They've also developed a bit of a chorus of barking, like dueling shibas. I can never tell if there's a siren far away that sets them off, but one will start and the other will chime in. Sometimes Li'l Sister will start and Big Brother seems to chime in to get her to stop, but I think that just eggs her on. Oh, my babies!
    X & I signature smaller
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    I just started to notice that Bane will bark when I blow in his face, its so funny his tail starts wagging like crazy and he crouches down like a cat and will bark! He will also do the yawn howl whenever we are riding in the car and is starting to bark at strangers, I'm working to stop that one tho :)
  • LosechLosech
    Conker is very vocal. When I first got him he hardly made any noise, then something inside turned on and hasn't turned off yet.
    He will bark at a lot of things, kinda like a hound's baying, does high-pitched chirps, grunts, growls, and generally makes a lot of noise all the time.
  • DebDeb
    Teddy is pretty quiet, will mostly give little hmmmm whines if he wants something. He will alarm bark. During a robbery attempt at my shop, he stood exactly at heel and barked, showed his teeth and snarled incessantly and the would be robber left in a hurry! It was the noisiest he had ever been. Teddy snorts when he's disgusted or playing with the other dogs.

Saki makes happy greeting sounds that are growls that sound like yum yum yum and her eyes are all squinty with here ears out like little airplane wings. She will alarm bark. When she's trying to engage the other two in a shiba 500 she usually is holding a toy and making her gremlin sounds. If she is relaxing and Hachi bugs her to play she growls at him. It's like she is saying "go away kid, ya bother me". When she does this he acts subservient and waives his paw in the air.

Hachi talks a lot, when he is play bowing it is usually accompanied with yips and tail wags. When he is playing with the others, he is usually growling and snorting. He's a talker and play bows me often accompanied with yips and snorts while patting his front feet on the floor. He used to back sass and grumble but is doing better with that and is becoming happier and more compliant. He used to bark at everyone and everything due to his fear issues, but that is a lot less now from training.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Deb, Wow about the robbery attempt! Was there any fear of the robber being armed?

@marybro, the Bows get a little bit of all kinds of different raw stuff... but on the day that particular video was taken, it was Honest Kitchen and probably some other stuff like gizzards or hearts that I threw into the mix. I have another, less spectacular video of Bowdu singing over Primal Raw, which is when this habit started. But no, he doesn't really have a different dinner song for different brands or proteins... =)
  • @Curlytails.....loved the serenade! Well, I don't know if love is the right word, but it made me laugh! And no, he doesn't look like he is starving! ;) Toby is still fatter and bigger, but they do have a similar figure! It really is super, super hard to get weight off even when they are medicated when they are hypothyroid, isn't it?

In terms of vocalness of mine, I'd say they not to be terribly vocal. They will whine when they want things. I wish I could get Toby's whine recorded: it's kind of like a cross between whining and and an "aroo" and it sounds like an alien, not a dog. He does that when he wants something and he can't have it--whether it is impatience with dinner not coming quickly enough, or he wants outside but can't go.

Bel is a growler, and has a lot of play growls of different pitch. We have to watch her when she gets started, though, because she gets overstimulated and then goes from play to aggression. She doesn't whine that much. She's the only one of all of my dogs who will howl though! And she's a barker--the most barky of all of them.

The Akita is silent except for a moderate degree of barking. Once he hit a year old, he started to do some alarm barking. He still prefers to watch and assess before barking (it's like he doesn't want to warn a threat he's there--he'd rather just wait and jump at the fence). But he does alarm bark. He has a warning "woof" too, that he does with the other dogs that means "back off." But I've only heard him growl maybe twice, once in play. We've never tried to discourage growling--he just doesn't do it. I kind of wish he did, because he curls his lip instead, but I don't always see that, and apparently neither do other dogs, so sometimes it seems like his arousal goes up really fast, but its really we've just missed the lift lip.

The Kai Ken doesn't bark much at all. Once he alarmed barked at the gate because the other dogs were doing it, and he looked so startled, like "that sound came out of me?" I've heard him bark maybe a handful of times. He play growls a lot. He's never growled in warning before, but then again, with the Kai ken, it's flight, not fight, so pehaps that part of it. He is a whiney little sucker though! And he combines it with an almost howl so it is a whiney, arooooo! sound. He is particularly fond of using it as an alarm at around 6:30 am, when he feels everyone should be up and playing.

• photo imagejpg1-3.jpg
    Post edited by IheartShibas at 2012-10-04 13:44:58
  • philly_ypphilly_yp
    finley is really, really quiet. last night there was a dog barking outside, and finley barked (quietly) twice. it was the FIRST time he's ever done that! he'll whimper/whine/bark if he's bored, like if he's at work with me and wants to play, but other than that he's pretty silent.
  • Ponta can be very vocal. This first video is mild by his standards:

This next one was when he really weirded out over a Shiba-shaped notepad:

Here he was in an extremely chatty mood:

• all these videos have my cracking up!
  • marybromarybro
    @ Hibarishiba He totally sounds like he's saying hello! That's great!
  • moments ago. sleep ruffing

• brscrnsbrscrns
    jessefritschzy - shiba dreams all three of our shibas have them.
  • Kari (7 months) isn't very vocal at all. What I mean is we'll hear a single bark every blue moon and then stare at her in amazement wondering "WOW YOU BARK!?!?!" She does whine and do a low growl here and there when she's playing.
  • pdleepdlee
    Pria has always been very vocal. At 9 weeks she was barking at strangers but she was so cute that it didn't keep them away. She stopped barking at people as she grew up, now she only barks at the ones she thinks are on the other side of the wall. She'll bark when the doorbell rings and she'll bark at the boxer nextdoor. She whines for chews and upon occasion she will howl in her crate when she wants to be let out, I think she learned the howling from her beagle friend. She also used to howl when my alarm on my phone went off. She's very noisy, but I sort of wish she would use some of that energy towards talking to me like Ponta does instead of just plain ole barking! @HibariShiba
  • DebDeb
    @curlytails to answer you question, the would be robber didn't have anything in his hands but he was armed with a foul mouth and aggressive body movements. He was a big guy. He did have a chain drive wallet, though. He wasn't a criminal mastermind as flower shops never have a lot of cash, most sales are completed with a credit or debit card.
  • LKJCLKJC
    Toro has gotten progressively more vocal over the last few months. We have a neighboring cat that likes to wander onto our balcony, and it sends him into full-on complaining voice: "Owwwowwowwowww!" Translation: "Mom, there's a CAT. ON. MY. PROPERTY!"
  • RikkaRikka
    Sagan has been vocal since the day I visited him at 7-weeks-old. He was the loudest out of his litter. He's been progressively better with his barking, but the first week I brought him home, it was nothing but barking, whining, and screaming.

I taught him "Speak!" and "Quiet..." at home, and he's very good at both. He seems to do a low "gruff" noise when people are knocking or near the door, and he does the same when he's downstairs and I'm upstairs listening to music or whatever, thinking it's someone else in the house. When he's playing with me or other dogs, that's a different story -- barking and howling almost incessantly. ^_^;

I was honestly a bit envious of owners who claim their Shiba's have "never made a peep" but I more or less accepted that Sagan will always be vocal.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • vihleevihlee
    My Shiba yawns very louuuud every time he has to go outside.
  • TengaiTengai
    most of mine are very vocal
  • natashanatasha
    My shiba Yuki usually only barks for a reason such as an alarm bark when there's a stranger outside our house or a strange noise. About a year and a half ago she woke us up at about 4am with a very low pitched growling and barking, not loud at all but low and persistent. My husband got up to see if she wanted to be let out into our little garden and realized that an intruder had jumped over the wall onto our property. He saw him through our glass patio door at the same time as Yuki. Upon seeing him Yuki "roared", there is no other word for that sound, it definitely sounded more like a roar than anything else. She then cocked her head back and howled long and hard like a wolf. Between her sounds and my husband swearing and banging on the glass, the intruder turned around and fled back over the wall.
    We never would have known about his presence if Yuki hadn't warned us, as to his intentions, we live in South Africa where there's a lot of violent crime so who knows how it might have turned out. She has never made those sounds again, it was almost like a call to arms!

On a lighter note, she does make these really growly snorting sounds when she sees a cat, as she really doesn't like them, but the cats in our neighborhood just stroll by with a look of disdain in their eyes.

She's our little hero and always looks out for her family. :o3

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)