For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Foxes (not Shiba appearance related) - the real foxes
  • chingalingchingaling
    I came downstairs this morning and was shocked when I saw a fox sat outside on the patio in the rear garden.

Part of the surprise was that it was a very sunny morning and I had always thought foxes only came out at night. It seems the fox had did its 'business' in the garden and also decided to rip apart some of our slippers which were left outside!

But it got me thinking, are foxes dangerous around dogs?

Not in terms of attacking, but in terms of all the poop it left here and potentially if they carry any viruses or diseases which might affect a dog?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-20 04:41:11
  • Yes, they can carry diseases and parasites that could pose a threat to you and your dogs. My biggest concern would be rabies. I would see what you can do to discourage them from hanging out at your place. If necessary, contact your local Fish and Game or animal control and ask them what they recommend to discourage the foxes. For example, don't leave any cat food outside.
  • shibaserfshibaserf
    I really wouldn't worry. We've had foxes around our house ever since we moved in 10 years ago. Our house borders a large preserve. We always see our foxes hunting during the day. For a few years, we were lucky enough to have a pair of foxes with dens right around our house. Every spring, we'd see the babies. They are SO cute! Foxes change dens frequently and ours have moved further away but we still see the adults from time to time. They don't bother the Shibas. Our Shibas are uncommonly lacking in prey drive so while Lucy will look if she sees a fox, she doesn't try to chase it very far. The fox just moves away. The foxes do control the squirrel population somewhat.

Cute fox story - a few years ago, we had the mama, papa and a few babies in a den near our house. We'd always see one of the parents going out to hunt and bring the catch back to the den. The babies must have been getting on the parent's nerves that day. The parent was trotting back toward the den with a squirrel in his/her mouth. It was a beautiful, sunny warm spring day. All of a sudden, the parent veered off to the woods, burried the dead squirrel in the leaves, went to a high grassy area, stretched out in the sun and took a nap for about an hour. Then, she/he picked up the dead squirrel and trotted back to the den.

I love the foxes. I've got lots of critters around me that could and do carry disease, like racoons, opossums, skunks and deer. It's never been a problem. I just don't let the dogs sniff poop and I don't let the Shibas chase anything they might actually catch. Critters tend to take any opportunity to get far, far away from people and dogs.
  • I agree with Shibaserf. And I also love foxes! While they could and sometimes do carry diseases, it is not any more or less than any wild animal. I'd take the normal precautions--keep your dogs in if you see the foxes out, and don't let them get near the poop. While I suppose they could have rabies, unless they are acting erratic, they probably don't.

And I've never heard of a fox attacking a dog...don't know why they would...they're not even that big.

I used to have some around where I lived too, and I loved seeing them, but the coyotes moved in here big time, and they kill foxes, and I haven't seen any foxes since.

Now coyotes are another thing entirely--they attacked my female Shiba a year or so ago. I'd be much more wary of them than foxes..

I've seen foxes most at dawn and dusk, btw, and also some in the daytime, so I don't think it's uncommon for them for out during the day too.

eta: just checked....you're in the UK? So rabies shouldn't be a worry, then. They might have parasites, though, which could be passed to your dogs in the poop, so that's one thing you might want to watch out for. And I guess you don't have to worry about coyotes then!Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
    From the House of the Fox Dogs blog
    Why it's Not About Dominance
    Bel's thread: the story of a puppy mill Shiba's life
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2010-08-24 21:23:44
  • chingalingchingaling
    Thanks for the feedback.

I don't particularly mind foxes, wouldn't say I love em - as they got to some of my little cousins chickens.

I was just a tad bit concerned with the one which keeps visiting our garden and tearing up shoes and slippers.

Here's a couple of pics. Bearing in mind I've never seen a fox get this close at 4/5 in the afternoon.

I won't be letting the fox get any where near my pup but I was concerned if they carried any dangers.

Re coyotes, luckily we don't get them here in the UK but thanks for the advice.
  • JudyJudy
    I do know of a fox that attacked a dog, but the fox was rabid. Unfortunately, it was a puppy and too young for it's rabies shot. The fox ran up on their deck and got through the door as they ran inside and went after the pup. The whole family had to get the injections.

We had a coyote at our small garden pond a few summers ago. It was a real dry summer so it must have been drinking. Hubby took Chelsie out one morning and as he went around the corner, she stood up on hind legs. Allen looked in time to see the coyote's head come up and take off into the woods across from us.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1446636602287746

^link to a very funny video....hopefully it works!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • I love that video! So cute! Where was that video taken? Any idea? I was just curious!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @shibamistress... I actually can't say for sure, however the lady who posted it is from Whitehorse, Yukon. It's not clear if it was her footage, or if she was just sharing it as she liked it.

The WDJ actually shared the link to it on Facebook, which is where I saw it.

The bouncy, hoppy play reminds me a bit of how Kobe plays. And when it rolled towards the toy...priceless!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)