For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Keeping hydrated
  • chingalingchingaling
    I'm quite active and like to go for a quick run at 5am and again about 7pm, which a few breeders said would work well for a Shiba.

However on the weekends, I tend to go for a longer jog along the beach (about 5 miles).

The thing is, when I run, I don't like to carry anything other than my cellphone and some money in my pockets.

Do Shibas need to be well-hydrated when going for a walk or with me for a run?

I don't like the idea of the doggy backpacks, so I'm just wondering if I should start to train and get used to running with a backpack so that I can carry some water and maybe some food for my doggy :)

Would love to hear any thoughts

Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-01 04:15:54
  • Five miles should be totally doable for an adult dog. Be aware that puppies should not be run until they are at least a year old as it can have some pretty adverse impact on there bodies.
  • chingalingchingaling

I found an old post which mentioned running and I think the general feeling there was to wait at least a year, to year and a half.

Sounds like solid advice, as the last thing I would want is to cause lasting long term discomfort.

Thanks Jessica
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I bought a water bottle called a Gulpy for my Shiba Inu Quake. He loves it.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I got one of the plastic, reusable water pouches that is freezable, foldable, has a spout and a carabiner - it's great because it conforms to anything and fits anywhere. It can also be frozen, I admit I've brought it to work with me and it's amazing:

The bowl I use is a plastic, collapsible bowl with a carabiner (if you're noticing a trend, you're probably right - I like to have carabiners on everything):

Both fit comfortably in my hydration pack and take up little to no space.

I bought a Gulpy too initially, but Kira prefers the bowl much more. After all, it's all about her... my princess

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • catloreecatloree
    I have a Gulpy & my guys aren't too thrilled with it. Thanks @Kira_Kira for sharing the Vapur link - that looks like a great option!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • zandramezandrame
    We have an Olly dog bottle, which has a detachable bowl

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)