For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Rewards and treats on a raw diet
  • chingalingchingaling
    Hiya

I've done a lot of reading about Raw /BARF food habits both online and also on the forum.

Personally, I feel its the direction I want to take when I get my first puppy next month, but it got me wondering...

I understand that people use dog treats and kibble to train and reward their dog and to encourage good behaviour, but are there any tips for training my shiba when Im going raw?

Or should I feed my Shiba raw based, and use kibble as a treat for training?

Is it easy to train a Shiba without the use of kibble/treats?

Sorry if its a silly Q. My first pup and I wanna make sure Im well prepared.

Thanks!
  • Not a silly question at all.

I feed RAW and I do a lot of reward based training. I use a number of different things for treats
    berries (specifically blueberries and raspberries)
    chopped up nibbles of sweet potato or carrots
    sardines
    cooked bits of meat (most people probably would say chicken however two of my three dogs are allergic to chicken and eggs)
    dried liver
    string cheese (a crowd favorite)
    and probably my most reliable treat is
    venison and fish jerky from this company
    http://www.realmeatpet.com/Real_Meat_Treats.html
  • I also feed raw and also give a lot of training treats. I am not nearly as creative as Jessica, but for treats I use cheese (yep, string cheese is a huge favorite), dried liver, dried chicken breast strips (broken in pieces), tiny dried fish which I find in the cat treats aisle of Petco/Petsmart, hot dog bits (another favorite), and I also give grain free kibble as treats.
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    Primal also makes really good meat variety treats. I usually use the Chicken jerky treat as a "high value" reward to re-enforce Stella's basic training so she doesn't get bored with it. I've also seen freeze dried and dehydrated meat treats. I can't recall the names off the top of my head though.
  • Hahah I feed Primal and I didn't know they make treats. I have to look into those.
  • chingalingchingaling
    Ah thats a relief. Some great ideas there.

I guess I'm taking a lot of this planning for granted. I'd really like my pup to follow a raw diet but hadn't really given much thought to if he was going to have an allergy - particularly to chicken :(

Reading up on all the RAW food fans here is certainly reassuring. I try and follow a raw/protein-focussed diet myself, and its great to know that I can use the same philosophy with my doggy.

The way I (try) to see it is - if I don't recognise the ingredients, don't eat it.
  • Yeah, allergies can complicate matters.
    The shiba I had was allergic to all grains.
    Ruby my pit bull is allergic to chicken, turkey, duck, grass, mold, and all tree pollens
    Miko my shikoku is allergic to chicken
    Hilo my akita isn't allergic to anything other than hard work.
  • There is a company that does dried sweet potato treats. Stella and Cheweys does a variety of freeze dried treats. Be careful with the dried chicken jerky (and other jerkys). Check the provenance first since a lot of companies source from china. We've been using the jerky from trader joes since it's the only one I found from the U.S.

Not exactly a training treat, but as an occasional treat I will buy Violet some salmon or flying fish roe and give her a tiny but every day over the course of a week. She adores the stuff.

Out of curiosity, why string cheese? The portability and relative lack of odor? I love cheese so there's a huge variety at home and I just tend to use that, but I am curious. String cheese always struck me as kind of artificial so I am surprised to find it listed as a treat, but I really know nothing about string cheese and am curious.
  • String cheese also isn't as aged as many others and has very few additives.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya's treats consists of string cheese, freeze dried liver, freeze dried meat, cooked chicken, hot dogs, grain free kibble, grain free treats.

I've also used zukes salmon treats and sometimes caned salmon or caned sardines.
  • With regard to jerky sourced from China, I personally only buy the CANZ brand because (at least in the NorthEast where I live) it is one of the only jerky's that is neither sourced nor packaged in China.
  • I'll second the primal treats, I'm also a fan of the wellness Pure Rewards treats, very simple ingredients. There is a big debate on feeding grains to your dog, however I really think that Cheerios make some of the best training treats. My dogs love them, they're not terribly heavy, so a handful of Cheerios will go a long way while you are training.
  • if a dog can digest grain cheerios are great. In the last four years, between the 6 dogs that were mine and the fosters who came through, only one could digest grain. All the others had weird poop and goopy green eyes.
    Post edited by JessicaRabbit at 2010-08-10 13:52:33
  • I agree! YMMV with Cheerios!
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    Good point about the source. I'll have to double check it when I get home.
  • kuhligkuhlig
    We do training with freeze dried beef tripe, cut up turkey hotdogs or cheese. I will sometimes use grain free kibble as well. She doesn't like kibble as much as human yummies.

Bella does not like vegetables or fruits of any kind =(
  • My Shikoku decides what veggies she likes by what my pit bull likes. Once Ruby eats something, Miko will want it.
  • the other thing about string cheese is I get individually wrapped ones, so they are easy to carry around still in the package til I am ready to open them, and they are soft enough that I can 1) hide a thyroid pill in it for the adult dogs 2) easy for a puppy with baby teeth to swallow (he has to stop what he's doing to eat harder treats). And it's cheap! But any kind of cheese is good....I just don't like to give the dogs my good cheese! :)
  • ohhhh string cheese great idea.
  • Hmm... Is aged cheese bad for dogs? I thought most cheese was just whey, rennet, and milk (maybe a bit of salt and mold for the blues of course). I find it easier to treat with firm cheeses. Or does string cheese have relatively few additives for processed cheese?

I guess I'm disinclined to purchase separate cheese just for Violet but I would if the cheese I currently use for her is unhealthy. She currently eats those hard, aged, mountain cheeses, aged gruyere, and sometimes an aged manchego. I also let her have a bit of fresh goat cheese every now and again.

Just wondering if I should switch to string cheese or if the two of us are fine sharing cheeses.
  • chingalingchingaling
    Lots of great suggestions on foods and treats which travel well.

It was one of my concerns that I'd run out of imagination but the cheese and hot dog ideas sound perfect. Much easier to keep in my pocket than chunks of chicken :)
  • Sukis_MomSukis_Mom
    Hi everyone! I was wondering for those of you that feed raw and treat with cheese, how much do you allow to treat while training? One stick/half stick a day or just until the puppy loses interest or just use until you are done training for the day?
    I just started Suki on raw and was using boiled/grilled chicken pieces as treats before.
  • @Sukis_Mom

I don't use cheese to train, but freeze-dried liver (from etta says). If I do use cheese, no more than 1/2 a slice of american per day.
  • EJHEJH
    Cheese is the most premium treat for our Tanuki. We only use it for recall training. As such, we have no problem calling him back into the house after he's out on a potty break.

All the other treats are used for general training. Many good ideas above :)
  • NikkitineNikkitine
  • vmleopardvmleopard
    I used treats when they are puppies to lure them into position. Puppies are easily distracted and mouthy. Hence, food/treat driven. Also, I used highly value food as a mean of distraction (not a reward). This is for teaching the leave it/stay command. As they grow older. In my opinion, when they can hold their attention without being too easily distracted I reward them with a good job or a scratch behind the ear or a pat on the head. That's all they get. The only reason I would use treats is if I'm teaching them to use their nose to sniff/find where I hid the treats. Everything else, for example, walking on a leash/walking off a leash is by behavior modification using correctional technique. They value spending time with me more. My 2cent, a dog's favorite toy/pastime is always going to be YOU. You are invaluable to them. They will do more for your attention and time than anything you can throw at them. Like children... can't buy their love. Everyone has their own technique/style. Give them all a try and see what works best for you and your pup. Best of luck mate. And welcome to the community.

Almost forgot. Side note here. There are 2 types of training product. Tricks and behavioral. Tricks can be done with treats in a reward base system, whatever "treats" mean to you. Play time, food, walks, the sky is the limit. The next is behavioral, undesirable behavior should be redirected or corrected to stop the unwanted behavior. There are plenty of good stuff on the web. This community is also great. There is no best way. Just whatever works for you.
    Post edited by vmleopard at 2015-03-23 22:45:20
  • sunyatasunyata
  • RooneyRooney
  • SayaSaya

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)