For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • JackStateJackState
    @HarnessGuru, what style is this? It's the 2nd most awkward thing I've ever put on Ichabod, and I don't know what to call it. It's like he's wearing that one swing on the playground that had the seat worn out. It's like a bad attempt at a Norwegian harness. We hate it, and his is tattered from trying to shred it while wearing it. :))
    Post edited by JackState at 2017-04-14 21:58:51
  • ObizaObiza
    I don't know why Rusty dislikes his harness so much, he looks handsome in it. Though it makes his neck fur poof out between his harness and collar. It's fitting since he's always laying around watching his turf like a lazy lion anyway.
    IMG_1226
  • JuniJuni
    @jackstate I have also tried something similar! On other dogs they look so comfortable and like a perfect fit. On Juni... not so much. It was awkward to put on, she actually didn't mind it while walking but when she sat down it slid up to her throat somehow.
    It was returned the next day.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Obiza-Rusty does look super handsome in that harness!
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    @obiza that's exactly the one Mochi has lol but now that I see it on Rusty, hers looks way loose on her.
  • ObizaObiza
    When he's walking the chest plate shifts a little bit and you can see a gap due to the stiffness in the material. He seems to be happier walking in it but he still looks so dejected the moment I put it on. And once we get back in the house he gives me this look like "Okay mom please take this monstrosity off of me" followed by a shake and trotting away happily once it's off. I was going to take him for a night stroll and I called him over and he saw the harness in my hands and proceeded to go upstairs and go to sleep instead!

I had a really hard time decided if I wanted the green. I love the color green since it compliments his colors but it also means "friendly" and he's not friendly to other dogs. He should be wearing orange. But I half doubt anyone else in my town knows what the colors mean on dogs anyway...
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    @obiza same here. Mochi runs away from seeing this harness. It just feels so stiff and doesn't really get flexible. I'm planning on switching to ruffwear so hopefully it won't be as bulky or uncomfortable looking.
    I liked the green one because it was bright and easier to see in the dark...and she already has enough pink leashes and collars :p
  • ZenkiZenki
    Zenki does the same thing... we run around the apt to get the Front Range on. He does push his head through the harness when i corner him. Then he stands still like a statue once it's on. it's so silly like he just made eye contact with a basilisk. :)) Once he starts walking though, he's fine and happily runs and trots outside. Finally, he shakes and runs to his toys after gaining his freedom from the tyrannical harness.

I actually don't know if I have fitted Zenki right to his harnesses. Do you guys think it's too tight or loose?

Here's how I fitted him with the Front range:
    Untitled

and here's the Julius K9:
    Untitled

maybe i'll add a picture of him wearing the gopro harness, later.
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    @Zenki - I had a somewhat recent conversation with someone explaining how the Julius harness is supposed to sit further back so it's not digging into the armpits. So the front Velcro is looser and the belly strap is tighter. Before that mine was adjusted with the Velcro about as tight as it could go. I can't find the picture with instructions on how to make sure it's fitted correctly but I remember it said there should be a distance of a few fingers between dog's front legs and the belly strap, and that you should be able to slip your hand under the front of the shell part of the harness (from the front / side by the dog's head).

The ruffwear looks good! As long as it doesn't ride up into his armpits or up on his chest. I never knew there was such an art to fitting harnesses correctly until recently. :)) I bet as a puppy with Ozzy's first harness, the ezydog quickfit, I probably had it with the front strap too tight and had it pulling into his armpits uncomfortably. :((

ETA think I found the link:
    http://julius-k9.com/dog-harness-adjusting/
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-04-18 03:54:28
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    So I've now bought a few more harnesses and collars since my last "review." But mostly I wanna talk about one of my new favorites... I decided to try out the perfect fit fleece-lined modulated harness from Dog Games Co. You buy 3 separate pieces to get the perfect fit for any shaped dog, which I thought would be so great for weirdly shaped Shibas haha. So Both Ozzy's top piece and girth piece are size medium, but his chest piece is size extra small. He has such a narrow chest haha... Which definitely makes getting the right fit challenging. He's got the fat neck and a decent-sized girth measurement, but his front chest is quite narrow. At first, they suggested I try a small front strap, but sent me the extra small when the small was too big.

Anyway, I can't find anything to complain about with it so far. It fits great, the fleece is very soft and everything seems well made... I love that the fleece is gentle on his fur and comfortable. I love that I can get the perfect fit to make sure that it isn't too loose on his neck, so it distributes the weight correctly, but it sits far back from his armpits and doesn't restrict movement in any way. I like all the color options lol. I've been considering buying several more medium sized tops of various colors so I can switch them out. :P Right now, the one he has is rainbow. It has a D ring on the back as well as the front, which is a nice bonus IMO. I also really like that I don't have to put it over his head OR have him step unto it. I can unclip like the 2 snaps that connect around his girth, and one of the ones that connects around his neck, and it's easy as pie. Of course, I love the ruffwear front range, but it's kind of a snug fit for it to fit over his head but still be tight enough so it distributes the weight correctly. Or I just have to loosen it and retighten it every time I put it on him. So I like that I can just snap this on easily. Each piece is adjustable. The biggest "complaint" from me would probably be that I wouldn't take it out hiking or camping cus I wouldn't want it to get dirty. Stuff sure can stick to fleece. And fur sticks to it pretty easily. But I love everything about the functionality, the fit, the look, the feel... Always love finding new holy grails for what I'm looking for in doggo products. ;)

Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-08-22 01:53:40
  • JuniJuni
    I can't see the picture! But I am intrigued because Juni is also weird shaped, very narrow between her front legs but a deep chest.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Ah that seems to happen a lot when I'm on my computer... trying from mobile lol. It's not really a great pic and doesn't show off the harness that well but I haven't taken that many pics lately.

Hope this works. The little picture button that does the HTML automatically hasn't been working for me so I have to keep googling the code lol
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-08-22 06:08:09
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Lilikoi - That is an interesting concept. When you get a moment, I would love to see some more pictures of it and see how things fit together. Shibas are such oddly proportioned dogs that it is really hard to get a harness that fits properly.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @sunyata - sure! I'll get some more pics of the pieces and how they all fit together. :)
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Edit - none of the pics are working haha, so trying to work it out hold onnn...
    Edit 2 - Okay, I think I fixed it. Hopefully.

Here's how I store it... With one of the clips around the neck attached, so I can just clip it around his neck and then connect the 2 clips around his girth.

Here are each of the pieces dismantled. The rainbow piece is the top piece, the y shaped one is the front, and the one on the bottom is the girth. To attach the front piece and the girth piece, you put the bottom of the front piece's Y (the nylon) through the D ring on the girth strap, and connect it to the clip underneath the front piece's D ring. Lol, if that makes sense. It's all very easy to put together.

Here's just an example of how it collects fur. :)) I'm sure it can be solved with a lint roller, but if fur sticking to things is a bother, it is something that exists.

Here's another pic of Ozzy in it. I feel like in the pics, it looks like it sits close to his armpits, but there is room for at least 2 fingers of distance (rather than under the strapping) between the strap and his armpits. The fleece is also pretty wide there, which I think helps keep it comfy in sensitive spots. Also featured in this pic is the matching leash, which is super comfy.

Here is an overhead pic.

Here's a pic of his narrow front haha. I have pics somewhere that I sent to the company when the small sized front piece was too big. They sent me a small sized top piece and an extra small front piece so I could try out different combinations to get the best fit. The medium top, extra small front, and medium girth are great on him. He was kind of in between sizes on the girl strap, so a smaller one might fit too. They recommended the bigger option since it would have more fleece coverage for comfort. You also order the pieces all in a matching dimension, so even though the pieces are not the same size, the nylon webbing is the same width on all of the pieces.

When I found this harness, I was looking for the best option out there for both comfort and functionality. So, I wanted something that had a strap going through his legs and distributing the weight to his breastbone, rather than something that would put weight on his neck or could be slightly restricting in movement, like the Norwegian style harnesses that have a strap around the front of the chest (Julius, ezydog quick fit, comfort flex, etc). But a lot of ones in this style can ride up into his armpits, or I just can't get the fit right with the neck needing to be tight enough to not move around so it distributes the weight correctly. Usually if the neck is tight enough to not ride up and not move around in use, it causes the girth strap to sit too far up into his armpits. I think each of the pieces are about $15... I ordered them from the dog games co website. I think it is also sold on clean run. Talking with the people over at dog games co was really helpful, though, and they were great about sending alternative pieces to get the perfect fit when it didn't work the first time.

I also bought a balance harness by blue-9 with the same idea... It also has a lot of options to get the adjustment just right. But it is definitely less comfy (just nylon strapping) and it does slip from side to side more... Getting the adjustment just right on it is a whole lot more fiddly. It seems nice as a basic harness, but I definitely prefer this perfect fit fleece one.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-08-22 17:53:22
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Lilikoi - Great info. Thanks for posting!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Thanks for those photos @Lilikoi - I was talking to my husband about this after you posted the other day, Rhyz hates putting his head into his Ruff Wear harness and we were contemplating looking in to a new one. This solves our issue perfectly.

Can I ask, where did you purchase this from?
  • ColtyHanColtyHan
    I bought a basic nylon harness for Zoomie, and it seems to be rubbing her fur off of the back of her shoulders. Does that mean it's too tight?
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @spacedogs - I bought it from here: https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness.html
    So it took some time to ship to me from the UK, then a little more time for them to send a smaller front piece for him to try out. I think you can get it from cleanrun too. https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=3934
    I might buy some other "top" pieces on this site to try out other colors lol. I kind of want the reflective black top piece for nighttime walks. :P

@ColtyHan - if it's too tight for 2 fingers to slip under the harness, I'd say that's too tight. If it's loose enough to fit 2 fingers, I would wonder if it has more to do with the material. Is she currently shedding? Is she in the harness for long periods of time? Some harnesses (and collars) definitely cause more fur damage than others.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-08-25 22:34:23
  • ZenkiZenki
    When people say their dogs "hate" putting on collars or harnesses... i don't know what that means... how can they tell? What does their dogs do?

Zenki shows displeasure when putting on his julius harness by arching his back like something icky was touching it so he looks like he's crouch walking... but then 1-2 minutes pass and he looks normal... hehehe...
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• spacedogsspacedogs
    @Zenki

Rhyz will move his head away from putting his Ruff Wear harness on, and if he's really not in to it he'll run away even though walks and car rides are the Best Things Ever, but doesn't mind if I put Laika's Julius harness on him (the head opening is bigger), however he looks like a little pony with a saddle and I can't take him seriously with it on so I've not bought him the same type.

Laika does the back arch thing with the Julius harness, too, but only while I'm doing it up, soon as it's buckled she's fine, and she also doesn't mind putting it over her head too much (she'll stay still and put it on at least, unlike Rhyz with the Ruff Wear).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)