For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
affectionate shibas
  • motomoto
    i know some do exist..just curious what yours was like as a pup. i'd prefer a more cuddly version of the breed and am expecting to get my pup in october..just trying to see if theres any link in pups personality and how they are as adults

thanks!
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-10-01 13:32:02
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    My 11 month old pup is very affectionalte and gives lots of kisses but theres no cuddling in him at all. He will sleep against my legs at night and enjoy a good belly rub but he does not sit on your lap or curl up with you at all!
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    My shiba (named Moto coincidentally) almost never cuddled. He would sometimes sit on the back of the couch and rest his head on my shoulder, which I loved. And sometimes he would sleep on my pillow next to my head at night. I would never describe him as snuggly or cuddly, but he was very sweet. I miss him.

I have never had a more affectionate or cuddly dog than my pit bulls. IMHO the single snuggliest breed I have ever had the pleasure of living with.
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    Both of my shibas (3 & 1.5 YO now) are not really ‘cuddlers’ nor were they when younger. They’ll enjoy sharing space with you in exchange for head scratches or belly rubs but cuddle for the sake of cuddling? Nope. I'll echo Jessica above -- my guys are sweeties, just not a typical cuddly pup. I'm good with that, personally. :)
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • AkiraleShibaAkiraleShiba
    Akira is not a cuddler, he does not even like belly rubs but has he's growing older he seems to be enjoying affection more. He now joins me in bed in the morning, sleep at my feet and sometimes demand to be petted my sitting on or lap!

When they are not naturally cuddly, it's important to make interactions pleasant for the dog :)
  • McYogiMcYogi
    I've got 3 shibas myself, 2 males and a female. We don't sleep with them anymore, and we do our best to keep them off the couch, but on the rare occasion we set up camp on the living room floor to watch a movie all 3 dogs are packed around us in any available space. My oldest male would love to be carted around in my arms all day, and my 2 youngest tolerate cuddles like champs. We actually have the opposite problem of most shiba owners in that our dogs are TOO excited by people and give too exuberant of a greeting.

I can't tell you if it's how they were raised or not, because we raised all of them the same way. We've always had lots of guests in any of our homes and our 2 youngest actually grew up in the middle of downtown and our apartment was in a busy art gallery, so they've always been around and enjoyed the company of people. I think you just get lucky (or unlucky...) with the cuddly ones. It's trying to get them away from you that's the real challenge!

• ShibatasticShibatastic
    I consider cuddly a dog that willingly goes onto your lap to be pet and enjoys falling asleep on you. 95% of Shibas just aren't like that. There is no cuddly version of nihon ken. Of course there are exceptions but it's rare. As puppies, you'll get bombarded with cute faces and they'll jump all over you. That's about it. You won't know their true personality til a couple weeks to months later.

The extent of yoshi's cuddling (he's 17 weeks old) is just sleeping between my legs and putting his head on my foot or leg when im in bed. He'll sometimes snuggle by my side and stuff. Their cuddliness is proportionate to their tiredness. I totally take advantage of when my puppy is super tired by cuddling him and he'll endure it. I think he grows to enjoy it after a while as long as I dont smother him.
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    There is no cuddly version of nihon ken."
    Shibatatic-As a member with both a very cuddly Akita Inu and a cuddly Shikoku I feel I should inform you that you have mispoken there....
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I have to agree with Jess on this one - I think I have the cuddliest shiba on the planet...and she's been that way since I picked her up...
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • I think quite a few of the dogs from Phil (Tengai) are super cuddly. Violet is not the sort of super affectionate that Shibatastic describes, but I've noticed with her brothers and sisters, some of them are super affectionate and love attention and from my understanding fit his description.

On the other hand Violet is the same dog that woke me up this morning because she was sleeping on top of my chest, neck, shoulder, and collarbone. There may be some people who like having their pups sleep on top of them but I prefer if my 18 lb ball of fur is not trying to kill me by compressing my chest while I sleep.

As for the original poster's question, I think they can get more cuddly when they grow older. Violet was a lot more standoffish when she was a puppy and would only want to lay next to us when she didn't feel well. Now she definitely likes to sleep next to us and lean against us sometimes when we're on the couch or in bed. Every now and again I will wake up with her torso glued to mine and her head under my chin (poor Brian, she just pushes him with her paws when she does her sleepy stretches).

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if cuddliness ran in certain lines, and is brought out by upbringing.
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    HAHA!! Wow Janie! Our Shiba's are definitly related, LOL.

Stella loves people. We actually just got in from running some of her errands, and getting her last set of shots. (A bit unplanned, but I'll explain in Stella's thread) And she was going up to each and every person within a 6 ft radius, looking for a pet or (as we were in the pet boutique) treats.

She definitly only "willingly" or by her own actions will sleep in my lap when she's in the right mood or not feeling right. Anyother time of day, even if I try to sit next to her on the floor while she's sleeping, she'd rather lay somewhere else. But's she's definitly one to not want to be alone. She will follow me from room to room, and enjoys being pet.
  • emmyemmy
    It seems to me that the original poster was looking for a way to identify a puppy that will stay cuddly and affectionate. I doubt you can. The rescue person I worked with to adopt my shiba is shocked at how affectionate he is now based on what she saw of him...and he was an adult. I don't think you can order up a cuddly variety...you might just get one or be the kind of person who facilitates it well. If getting a dog that would cuddle with me was my number one priority, I wouldn't have gotten a shiba!
  • bobc33bobc33
    I have two Shibas. Scout is fairly aloof and doesn't go for much petting, though she does tolerate more now than when she was a puppy. She is very happy on her own and by herself. Shadow follows me everywhere, sleeps with me, enjoys cuddling for the most part (though never pick him up as he will bite) and never wants to be out of sight.
  • LadywolfLadywolf
    When sho was about 2 to 5 months old, he was most quiet when i picked him up and carried him like a baby, he loved it so much he did not want go down unless i put him down. Now he is 9 months old and it is quite heavy to carry him, he is about 10 to 11 kg. And he only let me carry him for a short period of time before he decided he want to run there himself. We always sleep together ever since i brought him home. When he was younger, and smaller, he love to munch on my hair and finger while laying on top of me, or sleep on top of me. Now, whenever he wanted to sleep, he always make sure he is in contact with me. Either he will glue himself to my side, or sleep on top of my hand, or sometimes near my leg or on top of it, sometimes we share a pillow and he sleeps like a person with his head on the pillow and i am hugging him, but in summer he refused to be hugged.
    He also demand to sit on my lap...because i always give him massage if he sit on my lap. He seems to get addicted to my massage. He will claw me when i am sitting facing the computer and busy typing, demanding to sit on my lap. He can see the mouse cursor in the monitor and follow its direction, and i will massage his back until he is satisfied and ask him to step down since i cannot type with him blocking my sight and access to the keyboard.
    Anyway, i really love him, he also love to roll on his back and ask me to scratch his chest. And he really love to be combed! He actually demands this on a daily basis! Even though he is so affectionate like this, his playing style is still more rough than ever! I wish he can be softer when playing too, i guess a shiba cannot help himself not to be one..

update:

Ow, and i do agree that you cannot order a cuddly to be puppy. I think the way you takes care of him will reflect what kind of dog he will grow up into. Maybe if you enforce cuddling a lot since puppyhood, he might grown used to it and loving it. And in my opinion shiba is not a very cuddling dog, it certainly will never be a lap dog. It plays roughly and love wrestling, it is very agile and cannot sit quietly on your lap for hours and hours. It cannot even sit still on the floor for hours, how can it sit on your lap for hours? The maximum time sho can sit on my lap while i massage his back is 15 minutes, before he ran off and grab his toy or tear up something apart.
    Post edited by Ladywolf at 2010-07-26 14:31:34
  • motomoto
    thanks for all the responses. i'm not looking for a lap dog, in fact i like that shiba's aren't a dog that'll need your attention all the time. i would however like it if my dog enjoyed sleeping with/against me as a few people described so i was just trying to see if there is a link between how shibas are in their youth, or maybe the way they are raised that help attribute to them being more affectionate versions of the breed.
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    My Yoshi is pretty affectionate and cuddly. He likes to lay on my lap or my legs when i'm sitting on the couch and watching tv and he likes sleeping in my arms at night sometimes.
  • KCKC
    We have noticed that our Mochi is getting more affectionate. We got her when she was 11 weeks old - and she was pretty stand-offish. She did not want to be held or on our laps, or even within a few feet of us for very long. We were worried. But gradually she has been napping closer and closer to wherever I am sitting or standing at the time. She is 16 weeks old now and will let me carry her around a bit more, and lets me pet her for quite a while longer. She also comes to me when I call her now, and seems to seek me out for affection more. We started this bedtime routine and I think it has helped with the bonding: When we go to bed at night we scoop her up from wherever she is sleeping in the living room - usually the floor near the couch. We put her in our bed, between us, where she immediately falls back asleep. We read for a while and then when she is soundly asleep put her in her crate next to my side of the bed.
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    Haha I guess I drew the short straw on cuddliness. I shouldn't have stated everything as a "fact" when it was more of my opinion. Anyways, what I meant by "there is no cuddly version of nihon-ken" is that there isn't one that is more cuddly than another. I stand corrected in my idea of these furry creatures! I just assumed that all shibas were like mine and not so cuddly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong :(. I think I correct him over every little thing and I don't give him any leniency whatsoever. If I tell him to sit and he ignores me, I'd hold him still til he did. I assumed that by doing stuff like that he'd understand that I'm in charge. I should probably give him some more freedom.
  • emmyemmy
    One of my favorite quotes I've read here so far was when someone said something like....you are the human. Only you can open doors, get food and treats, etc. Your dog knows you are in charge. :). Tonight I cut into tiny pieces a whole bag of treats on the floor without my shiba stealing one. I just told him to stay back and go lay down and he did. Obviously he knows I'm in charge because I am firm and consistent... I think the cuddling he does comes from trust. And a desire for warmth and belly rubs... :) He's nothing if not practical.
  • KunuKunu
    My puppy is 19 weeks old. Every time I come home from school and let him out of his x-pen he runs up and nestles into my legs for attention, and if I sit down he will essentially jump into my lap hugging me and then roll on to his back sometimes in my lap. He seems pretty affectionate overall, and literally goes up to most every person he sees to seek attention. I've taught him to sit for people so now he almost always goes up to them and sits. One thing he will do also is when he meets people he will start to whine of. It's definitely like a happy whine but it sounds as if he's saying "save me save me from this horrible owner!" (sometimes i even feel silly), even though Although he definitely gets plenty of attention from me and my roomates and lots of play time. Is that just his way of expressing happiness?

Anybody else have a similar experience?
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    When I come home from work, I'll ask Jazz if anyone has played with her during the day - she'll whine and cry, knowing that gets her lots of love and petting. They know what to use to get the response that they want....
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • ericw2000ericw2000
    My shiba Rocky is affectionate but not a cuddler. He'll lick you to death while you pet him, do his happy dance with a toy in his mouth when I come home, and roll over on his back when I pet him. He will not lay on my lap, nor against me in bed. He lays about a foot away from me in bed, and will move away if I cuddle against him. He always lays near me and follows me around, but just isn't into constant contact. My other dog Trixie, a basenji/lab or pit mix, lays against me in bed and will push my wife or I to our respective edges of the bed. She's almost 60 lbs. Rocky will lay against Trixie, but never the humans.
  • Logan is just 11 weeks and is the sweetest puppy. He'll lick my husband and I silly until we pull him away. We recently started allowing naps in our bed after we clean him with wipes, and he'll cuddle at first and then pull away but still stay next to us. When I'm watching tv, I sometimes carry him and put him on my lap and he'll lick and stare at me with the cutest expressions while I pet him. He does the puppy greeting when we come home and stands on his feet while going crazy on our legs. That's something that if he doesn't grow out of when he gets older, we'll have to make him stop since I don't want him to be jumping on people when they come into our house, since most people don't like that. We've been very strong with him for the last couple of weeks since we got him, but the affection never stopped. He's being a really good boy nowadays, so he gets spoiled a lot.
    Former user name :danaysio
  • InuzooInuzoo
    Ive wondered myself how "cuddliness" changes. Zooey loves to be picked up, unless she's running around then she's mad someone stopped her. Now that she's been able to jump on the furniture she will either climb and perch on my shoulder or curl up on my lap. We are trying to teach her "nice" when ever she is up on us or the couch and immediately put her down when she love bites or won't sit calmly. I want to share my space with her not have her over run it. Every morning now she jumps up, after "asking" while I have my
    morning coffee. That I can tolerate. I have no clue how she will change in time. She's still pretty young. It has become a joke at home.... Where mamma goes so does Zooey (even when I try to escape).
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    IME they get sweeter as they get older and they will certainly take advantage of the human bed whenever they can.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • My Tsunami was very cuddly. When I was younger she would sleep on my lap while I did homework. However as she got older she developed some really terrible allergies. They ended up plaguing her for her whole life. There would be times when they got bad enough she didn't enjoy being petted because she was so itchy. :(

My current foster, Jibo, loves to be cuddled too... sorta. He has his moments. He'll curl up on the couch next to me while I'm watching tv. Or he'll want to be held. Then other days he's mister squirmy and you can't keep him still. He does love sleeping in bed with me though.
  • BootzBootz
    The more time you spend with them the sweeter they get. Bootz only started showing affection around 10 months....and this was her ONLY sleeping at the end of the bed. Currently at 1yr and 4 months...she's crawling under the covers to cuddle with us. :)
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Kuma does not cuddle, he goes and gives kisses when I allow him to, but he won't cuddle w me. He will sleep on my foot or behind my back if we are sitting on the floor; other than that, he won't try to jump on the sofa or bed.
  • Aiko1Aiko1
    Aiko was insanely affectionate when he was little. Here and there he would have his little diva moments were you weren't allowed into his bubble. But as he has gotten older he's no longer like that. For example. I am not allowed to lay down on my couch or in my bed without spooning him. He turned into a screaming mimi if he can't spoon with you. He does the same thing with my boyfriend as well.
  • I'm still surprised to hear anyone has a cuddly Shiba. Mine are not cuddly, though they do get sweeter as adults, but that means coming over to be petted for about 2 minutes before moving on. Or wanting to lay near me....maybe, just maybe touching me a bit, but more likely not. They are not cuddlers.

Neither is my Kai Ken.

But the Akita? Now that's a different story. He's still not needy, thank goodness, but he likes to be petted and does think he's a lap dog, but he's 120 pounds, so he doesn't really fit in anyone's lap! He likes to lay his head on my lap, though, and he tolerates being hugged really well, which is nice, because he's very big and soft and fun to hug.
  • CinderCinder
    Aww happy this thread came up because I was starting to think my pup doesn't like me very much (not trying to sound pathetic, just was actually thinking it). She only gets affectionate in the morning when she's let out of the crate and does her yoda-ears/growlies and then will burrow into my legs for a minute before she's off to play with everything and anything.

No cuddles or lenthy pats are allowed (or will be met with sharp teeth and the appropriate PLAY WITH ME WITH THAT HAND, DO NOT PAT ME WITH IT body-language) until she's about to fall asleep at night and only then it's JUST tolerated. Too much and she'll get up and walk off lol
  • BootzBootz
    @Aiko1 LOL thats cute.

This is my babies with me..of course my spot was the pillow in the back XD

Photobucket
  • Aiko1Aiko1
    @Bootz how cute is that! Under the blanket and everything. lol....
    Aiko won't lay under the blanket with me but he is constantly stealing my blankets off of the couch to personally wrap himself up.

• ShibaLoveShibaLove
    As others have mentioned I think they get sweeter as they age. I got Nikko as a puppy and he definitely had that adolescent/teenager phase going on around 1-3 years old. After that he started to mellow out a bit and come ask for petting more. Nikko isn't exactly what I would call cuddly at 6 years old but he will lay down on the couch with me...touching (that's kind of cuddling right?). He sometimes gets in the bed too. X0
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Our is selectively cuddly at best. He was very lap dog(ish) for a while but that seemed to be a phase. He has never really been one to sleep with my wife and I on the bed; even when we have tried he may stay for an hour or so at most but then he'll go sleep somewhere else.

Occasionally, when we are watching TV or sitting around on the couch he will sit right next to us or rest his head on us but it's typically short lived! If we try to force the issue he won't even entertain the thought of sitting with us! haha
  • Umi is not a cuddler at all. No thanks very much. But she is affectionate, loves her humans and clearly enjoys having us around. If we pick her up, she sighs, wriggles and the minute you let her go she's off like a shot.
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Foxy is very affectionate with me. This is what she does to me now when I'm on the computer and not petting her (taken last night)

Photobucket

It's either that face she gives me or she takes her paw and pulls at my had to pet her. I can't resist!!!
    Photobucket
  • LaurenLauren
    Dexter is my little spoon. He will always curl up next to me and loves to be under the covers. Sometimes I wake up to him either trying to burrow in the small corner opening of the blanket at my front or back, if that doesn't work, he will bat at me to let him in.

Honey is getting more snuggly, but she prefers to just plop down next to someone. But then she gets too warm and goes off to her corner at the end of the bed.
  • tatonkatatonka
    If Tatonka is sitting somewhere and I go pet him, he will physically move to another location (just out of reach) in about 5 seconds. Sleeps on the floor or in his bean bag, never too close. Doesn't really care for people talking in baby voices asking him to come.

He does make an exception for cute girls, though.

Best wingman ever.
    Monkey!
  • rubyruby
    Ruby didn't liked touched when we got her. If we put her on our lap, held her or touched her she would just run away. Our older dog is very affectionate. We've had her 6 months now. She comes and sits on our lap, cuddles, sleeps with us and greets us when we come home-making grunting noises. She also will lick us til we make her stop. She was fearful when we got her so it either took awhile to gain her trust or she saw from the other dog that affection was good. Either way we love it!
  • xena_inuxena_inu
    xena is actually a great lil cuddler when she wants to be, she wont cuddle for anything though when she sees something exciting, shes great for watching movies or when its her down time

my father inlaw n xena just chillaxin while we watched a movie
    Photobucket
    this is how she prefers to sleep, only when shes in her protective mode LOL
    Photobucket

• MacMac
    My little guy is somewhat a cuddler. If others are around he does his typical shiba aloofness. If its just me he will play but make sure im around.

But at bed time and in the mornings he has to have his cuddle time. Before we go to sleep he cuddles on my chest and i pet him and he snuggles til we are bother overheated. He is quite the little space heater. Then he is glued to my legs all night. the morning he has to get ten minutes of pets and cuddles with his head in my lap before i go to work. If not he has taken my socks, laid on pants and even tried to hide a shoe.
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    brewster will cuddle but only late at night or if he is tuckered ou which doesnt happen often,and he has to have a stuffed animal to spoon or bone to lay on...so weird
  • RikkaRikka
    Mmmm... Sagan isn't much of a cuddler. He's a velcro dog but not to the point where he constantly wants to be in your lap or want attention. Anytime I get up, he gets up. Any room I go into, he's in that room too. If I sit down, he'll jump up and maybe come near me to sniff or lick me, but then he'll either do his own thing or lay down close to me. Not close enough to pet him, but close enough that if I extended my leg, I could touch him. :p

I'm that annoying dog owner who always ruffles my face into his coat or face when I pick him up, but he doesn't seem to mind, as he just kinda sits there like, "uh...... okay...." I mess with his ears, paws, teeth, tail, all of that good stuff whenever I'm holding him or when he walks past me. I touch him more than he touches me, basically.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Rikka, haha.. I am exactly the same way. Too funny!
    Monkey!
  • SayaSaya
    Saya isn't a velcro dog she has her shiba personality, but she does love messages and being petted she also gives shiba hugs. :)

One thing I like about her when we have guests over she gets super overtop excited and happy, but once she is done she then pretty much walks around yodeling or growling at people then she settles down.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-10-03 16:35:34
  • LosechLosech
    My Shiba likes to cuddle, when HE wants to, not when I want to. He's a brat like that.
    Anywho, Conker is a pretty cuddly dude. He isn't obvious about it like the other two dogs (they lean all over you, put their paws on you, rest their heads on you...) but he will crawl closer when I'm on the computer until he's smashed up against me. Then, after a bit, he'll start to make funky noises, and if I don't pet him, he'll start barking and whining. If I pet him for a bit then stop he'll get mad.
    He doesn't always sleep in my bed, he kinda prefers a specific corner of the couch, but when he does, he's plastered right up against my face on most of my pillow, or curled up somewhere under the covers in an odd place like my armpit or behind a knee.
  • Jibo is a weird cuddler. He likes to stand on my lap, with his front paws on my shoulder while I pet him. It's kinda awkward but he seems to enjoy it. He will also bury his face in my lap, or under my arm. It's cute when he does that. Other than that he's all over and moves a lot. Wants to get petted, then runs off, then comes back and jumps up on your lap, then runs off... etc...
  • msegermseger
    In agreement with the majority here. Our Bella snuggles when she wants. Most difficult for a family with (4) kids and dog who only wants to be rubbed/petted in am and late pm for a moment- and only with me. These are lovelable one person dogs. Love my girl but not a family dog.
  • Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

They get along like this most of the time. Once in awhile they will break out into a big fight. I don't know why. It's not a food or bone thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)