For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
crazy barking
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    So, I have a question for all you dog people out there. What do you do to stop absolutely crazy frenzied barking? Esp. if the dog is so worked up he can't focus on you at all, or if the dog simply won't be redirected?

Last night Toby went outside around 10 and started with some really agitated barking, the kind that he does when he feels threatened by something. I figured there was an animal in the yard--we've had coyotes before, once years ago a bear, and the last time I heard this kind of barking from him, there was a very large bull snake in the yard. So I went to investigate, but he was running all over and barking, not focusing on any one spot, so if there had been an animal it was gone.

I got him in my usual way--bribing him with cookies. So far, so good.

Then he starts barking in the house. Same crazed barking. I try distracting him, and this works for awhile. More barking. I put him in his crate. More barking. In the meantime I took my little hunting girl Shiba out, and she sees absolutely nothing of interest in the yard except for her usual fascination with the gopher holes. No barking from her. NO barking from neighborhood dogs. Even the coyotes were quiet.

Toby crashed out for awhile, but when he woke, he began barking again. It got really bad when I went to bed, because he would not stop with the crazed barking. I came downstairs, put him back in his crate. Still barking like crazy. I came down again, put him in the sunroom (simply because it made it slightly quieter upstairs) but he was still barking like a maniac. He'd stop if I was in the room with him, and start up immediately if I left. I was so frustrated I tried my old aversive with him--spraying him with water--and he'd stop when I held up the spray bottle, so I didn't actually have to spray him, but then he'd begin again. I thought about giving him a valium at that point (I was SO tired and frustrated!), but took it myself instead, put in ear plugs and turned on a loud fan and went to bed.

He barked steadily ALL night long. From 3 am to 8 when my husband got up. And it was his high pitched alarm barking, not a boredom bark (which he rarely does anyway).

I hope not to have to deal with this again, but I wondered what people would do with this kind of crazed barking, esp. if the dog is in the house and simply will not settle down. And he's 6, you know, and not a barker, so this was not at all typical of him.
  • shibaserfshibaserf
    Is it possible that he injured himself when he first went out? Maybe he stepped on something or got a bug bite? If it didn't swell, it might be hard to detect but still cause him pain. It really sounds like he's trying to tell you something. Sudden, atypical changes in behavior often mean illness or injury. Could he have a urinary tract infection, anal gland issue or ate something he can't pass? I assume that's why he went out?

Let us know how he's doing!
    Post edited by shibaserf at 2010-07-21 18:23:13
  • sunyatasunyata
    Hmm... Never had to deal with this, as my dogs usually obey the 'okay, that is enough' command when barking.

The best suggestion I have for you is to maybe try and give him something to distract himself... Bully stick, frozen kong, whatever keeps him busy.

And I agree that it is possible that something was wrong with him. I would give him a good rub down and check his teeth, ears, etc. If he keeps it up, I would take him to the vet as soon as possible.

Hope all is quiet tonight, though!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I would check around your house carefully. Would look for any traces of intruders, either two footed or four footed. Don't know where you live, but sometimes if the coyotes are quiet, that means a cougar is in the area.
  • emmyemmy
    A helicopter flew low over my house last week and my dog barked for quite a while. It's the reason we have started learning a hush command! Hope it doesn't become a frequent thing for you!!
    I don't think he was hurt or anything. He was acting fine. Just barking. I did check him over, and saw nothing wrong, and tonight he's acting like his normal self.

I do think he saw something scared him, and then he couldn't shake that off, somehow, because he seemed ok when I was in the room with him, but he began barking as soon as I left, and it did have that fear bark edge.

Cougar! Yikes! Could be, actually. Or a bear. We don't usually get them on this side of the highway (there is a big state forest not to far from us across that highway), but we did get a bear in the yard once. And I know people get cougars not too far from here, so it could be....I didn't see any signs in the yard, but there could have been something in the area.

I don't know why I didn't think of giving him something good to chew on...that's a great idea. Thanks! It's a more longer lasting distraction than the ones I tired.
  • You might want to contact local Fish and Game folks and find out if there have been cougar sightings in your area. Cougars tend to be nocturnal hunters, though not always. You may want to be cautious about letting the Shibas out after dark or in early AM.
    So I just found out that the week that Toby was barking like crazy, THREE black bears were sighted in my area. One large male was eventually shot after charging someone who came out and found the bear in the trash. Another was darted by Fish and Game and taken to be rereleased, but died in transport.

I suspect the bear was prowling around here, even though, luckily, we didn't have any encounters.

I'm sorry the bears were killed....a lot of bears have been killed around here already this year. That said, I know bears can be dangerous, too.
  • Hmm. If Toby does the "crazy barking", I would sure pay attention if you have that sort of wildlife in your area.

As a puppy Sukoshi once refused to walk into a wildlife/park area we frequented. She planted her butt, sniffed the air, and refused to budge. In this case, I followed Sukoshi's "lead" and we did not go into the park. I found out a couple of weeks later that deer carcasses had been found nearby and cougars had been sighted in the area.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Good to know it pays to listen to your dog!
    And glad he didn't get hurt himself.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    I'm needing help with Yuki's barking. He barks inside and outside, as well as when he starts playing with other dogs. Inside is where I have the issue-- he's clearly doing this in excitement. Barking at the cat, barking at me if he's being impatient for food, barking at his toys, etc. Does anyone have tips? I don't mind at all if he's noisy (making sounds of excitement) but actual barking is highly irritating.

P.S. I know he's a puppy. He's super cute- it's just happening often enough that I'd like to address it, if I'm able. Any advice?
  • @devonmlewis - I have a 14 week old puppy and I also have issues with Kenzo barking at other dogs. This only started to happen recently. Over the weekend, he met my friends 3 year old jack russell terrier and when they first met, the jack russell kept growling at him. I feel like this is where he actually learned this behavior of greeting. And now when I walk him and he sees other dogs, he starts growling.. :( I don't even know why. and this happens to all dogs/puppies he sees.
    Kenzo_theshiba
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @ellavargas90 Yuki can growl/make noises when he gets excited. I don't mind that too much, but it's really distinguished from "I'm growling- stay away from me!". He gets more mouthy when he wants me to leave him alone. Heck no! Yuki's barking is excitement.... he's done waiting for food, is wanting to play, excited to see the cat, etc.
  • BootzBootz
    @devonmlewis

1. Barking at the cat - Redirect or do a "ah ah, leave it" wait til he stops then treat.
    2. Barking when he's waiting for food. Again, "ah ah" make him sit or lay down. Once he's quiet, THEN give him his food. Do NOT give him his food while he's barking to silence him as it would make him think barking is ok.
    3. Barking at his toys? thats a bit weird....Take the toy away?

Majority of the time when my friends have dogs that don't stop barking, it is because their puppy has a lot of energy that needs to be burnt out. Or because they're bored. Do some mental stimulation like training exercises or tire out your puppy with walks/fetch/etc. Whatever works for you. Tired puppy = quiet puppy

• devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @bootz totally! These are such easy things to do, but I don't think of "leave it" automatically with the cat. That's good feedback. I also didn't think to wait until he's quiet as being a reward. You'd think his fat little body was starving the way he reacts to food. I'll pow wow with the fam this evening on the food situation. He gets fed quite early (around 6 am) so he may be barking a lot for a few morning feedings-- brace yourselves, family! :)

He barks at the vacuum. When it's turned off (never on). He barks at his toys while he's playing with them. After he rolls around with his toys a bit and throws them up high and chases them, he'll put his butt up in the air and wag his tail and bark at his toys. He's just very communicative.

He gets a a significant amount of walking time in each day (3 30-45 minute walks, and he's only 3.5 months), TONS of attention, and lots of mental stimulation with our training exercises and interactive play. I agree though-- tired puppy=quieter puppy! :)
  • BootzBootz
    @devonmlewis

Try to mix up the feeding time a bit so he doesn't get hungry as fast. For example, our feeding window during the morning is 8~10 am, dinner is 6~8 pm. If you keep to a strict schedule their body will get use to it, then they are hungrier. I think @Saya mentioned it. From my experience, I believe this is true, hence the flexible feeding time.

Barking at the vacuum...take the time to familiarize him with the vacuum. Pet the vacuum (lol yes i did just say that) have him watch and if he stays quiet, treat him. Lure him towards the vacuum and put tasty treats ON the vacuum. Eventually he will catch on the Vacuum is not a bad thing.

• devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @bootz yep we're on a pretty strict schedule, although he just went to the vet so he is eating soft food, and is acting ravenous. He's also growing! I hadn't thought too much into this-- as a flexible eating time... especially because I'm SO .... rigid... LOL! I can work on that, and keep you posted on how it goes.

He will watch the vacuum really curious-when it's on. When he's learning about something, he will sit his fat body down and watch what's happening. He won't just jump in the mix (he's a smarty pants). But when it's turned off he barks-- I think he wants it on so that he can check it out some more. haha!!! That's a really good idea-- putting treats ON the vacuum. I don't think he's barking at much out of fear-- it's more like communicating and playfulness. Unless he's anxious and hungry.
    Post edited by devonmlewis at 2014-03-27 13:35:12
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @bootz Update on Yuki’s barking. I’m unsure if it was the shortest phase known to man, but he’s really been improving! I took your advice on the food, and waited until he was calm for about a minute or so. Also, I don’t feed him at exactly the same time each day so that he relaxes a bit, and it’s been working really well. Thanks!
  • ddavidddavid
    My Shiba senses a coyote. He doesn't bark, but I can see him intently focusing with his ears pointed up. When we look to see what's out there neither I or my wife can't see anything. My wife is afraid of coyotes, while I love them, so I put my Shiba on a leash and start walking the premises. Sure enough there's a Coyote standing on other side of of house, on the hill, about 200 feet away. That's an amazing distance and not a direct visual line. When I spot him and my Nikki spots him, he just stares intently, but does not bark. He whimpers sometimes for a few seconds, then shuts up. But it takes horse to move him away to go back into the house. Some dogs are just more sensitive than others. shibamistress you just have an absolutely sharp dog who can sense his surroundings. Coyotes don't have to bark, a snap of a dried piece of brush is enough even to my ears. You have a great dog, be proud, and let him bark, just tone it down, it may save your own life someday when you come across a cougar on the path. We had a few joggers killed over the years by cougars, and would they have had your lovely intelligent Shiba, he would have warned them of the upcoming nasty event.
    Post edited by ddavid at 2014-04-08 21:56:28

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion