For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Looking for life vest thread
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Howdy:

I was searching and can't find the thread....does anyone have a review on their life vests they purchased for their shiba? Eddie float coat or Portage?

TIA
    SNf
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-31 01:11:04
  • SayaSaya
    I did a review of the Eddy float coat on the Nihon ken side on the product review area some pictures of Saya wearing it too. =)

No pictures of her swimming next time we go swimming I'll have to be sure that my mom is out of the water to take pics..

I wanted a life jacket for Saya when we go on the boat or in the water just in case.

Saya actually seems to like to swim on hot days it keeps her cool. =)

I was thinking of getting the portage coat since it was cheaper the three dog bakery I went to had it, but I didn't check it out it was on the very top shelf. I got the big eddy float coat much more expensive, but I liked the look of it and I feel it'll last for a long time though I'm sure the portage is of good quality I just liked the big eddy one.

I love her life jacket definitely more durable than the petsmart one we got for Bella.

I got her the small size fits her pretty well.

Link to review
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5627&page=1#Item_6
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Thanks Nichole. Were there an issues with the fit as far as movement? Is the fit true to size or does it run small? Shibas can be a bit out of the norm as far as fittings with their wide chest and thick neck. Saya looks good in hers.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2010-07-16 14:46:35
  • SayaSaya
    It fits her fine.

For a while she wouldn't move, but now she moves fine.

She doesn't move when I put clothes or a harness on her.. lol
  • I think Ruff Wear has some too
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    We got the ruffwear portage float coat. Since that is all we could find and it was on clearance we bought it. The size small fits well. I think the difference between that and ruffwear "Eddie" model (which one step up for rapid water) is the fact that "Eddie" is more padded for greater buoyancy from looks in Saya's picture.

I'll take pictures of my boy wearing the "portage" model once out and about using it. It looks like it will work for sea kayaking in the shallows and general boating on the bay side. There is a clip spot on the back to place an led light so if dog slips off boat in the dark you can spot him. Would hate for things to go Natalie Wood if he sees something moving in the dark (LOL), especially in really cold water that we get in currents around here in the fall.

Have fun...I know we will : )
    Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2010-07-17 20:19:11
  • kyushukyushu
    Reviving this thread. Hoping Akira likes kayaking and paddleboarding this summer, so we are in need of a life vest. Anyone have any experience with a life vest other than Ruff Wear? They all look so big and bulky. Hoping she doesn't freak on the vest then refuse to get in the kayak or on the board. She seems to like water. She likes to take a shower anyway. Would appreciate any input.
  • Ditto to kyushu's question. I'm not sure yet if my Shiba Inu is cut out for boating (she doesn't love the water), and I don't know if I will have time to do a lot of kayaking, so I'm reluctant to spend the big bucks on a Ruffwear float coat. Been considering Outward Hound's Granby Life Jacket - seems to have decent reviews for a cheap dog life jacket.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)