For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
weight loss tips
  • starrystarry
    evie is slightly shorter than toki and now only weighs a pound and a half more than him
    with diet and walking she has already lost 2 lbs
    anyone have any fun exercise tips/ideas to help her lose the last pound
    here are comparison pics
  • SayaSaya
    Does Evie like carrot sticks or green beans? maybe use that for treats instead of biscuit?

Saya loves chasing this cat toy I got her it's a little plush toy attached with a string to a wooden pole. I let her chases it and sometimes allow her to catch it to make it more fun for her I tell her to drop it then the chase game begins again. Gives Saya a fun good workout during days that it's raining outside.

Hope you lose those lb. =)
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • starrystarry
    haha, are you sure you've got yourself a dog :)
    well, i guess vegetables are something you gotta grow up with cuz evie unlike toki is very slow to consume her carrots, green beans, and celery
    she acts like she's only eating it cuz its there
    but that's probably a good thing if i want her to loose weight
  • SayaSaya
    Saya doesn't really like green beans, but she loves carrots.

Exercising shiba inu in this weather is hard with it getting hot out Saya only gets walks in early morning and late evening. =\

Does your shiba like agility?
    Post edited by Saya at 2010-07-16 14:49:23
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    Cut out all grains, and go raw if you can handle it. i have never had an overweight dog on grain free or raw.

Evie is super cute BTW
  • starrystarry
    she likes chasing squirrels, that's as much of agility that I've seen her do
    do you just take the dog to the class and they teach you
    or do you have to teach the dog at home first?
    I know toki would love running through those tunnels
  • SayaSaya
    The dog trainer I took Saya into puppy class and obedience did some agility so maybe you'll find a trainer that offers how to work on it.

They sell the tunnels and stuff online.

What food are they currently on I know wellness core has a weight loss formula or like Tara says go raw most likely that will help you can do premade or do it yourself dogster raw forums is where I get most of my info from..

If raw isn't for you grain free kibble might help.
  • starrystarry
    they are actually finishing up their bag of wellness core weight loss formula
    and next up is orijen fish
    i feed grain free.
    I like the idea of raw, but i barely have enough time/energy/desire to defrost and prepare my own meal and i only do that once a week at most :(

btw, does anyone know how much weight a dog can loose a month and still be healthy?
    i've had evie two months and she has lost 2 lbs...am I cutting her weight too fast?
  • MoJo is starting to look a little hefty too. I think training and treats are also the culprits. The trainer said to use the treats as his meal...and we do. He basically only eats one meal a day...dinner and it's not alot either. He gets his Merrick BG Salmon kibble, mixed with some wet food or instead of the wet, we might substitute chicken. Yes, he gets some biscuits (low cal) as a reward...maybe only 2 a day. I don't know why he seems to have gained a little too much, but we are putting him on a diet too. Everyone at the dinner table needs to stop secretly slipping him a little something under the table
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    This looks like a good post to ask a "diet" question. Dakota is 9 months and is on the small side for a female but weighing in at about 18 lbs now.. I can no longer feel her ribs and I do think she is getting on the chubby side for her small stature (about 14.5" from her feet to her shoulder blades) She was getting a cup a day of TOTW Pacific Stream (1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the evening). And a few sundry treats during the day, including a bully stick once in awhile. I know there are no "rules" for proper weight, but if we want her to lose a bit, what is the best way of going about this? Should I just cut her back to 3/4 a cup a day cold turkey or very very gradually reduce her intake to 3/4 a cup? Or does 3/4 a cup seem too small of an amount to be feeding her. She won't eat carrots or green beans as a treat -- only likes the "fattening" stuff.. She gets as much exercise as we can give her, including 3, hour-long walks a day with plenty of running, playing with other dogs a few times a week, and doing the Shiba 500 around the house at least once a day. I know you should never cold turkey switch a dog's food from one brand to another, but wondered how you decrease intake to cause a little bit of a weight loss. Thanks all!
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Dakota sounds like Foxy's size. I've recently cut Foxy's morning kibble down to 1/4 cup then in the evening still give her a 1/2 cup. I also put one sardine in with each meal. People make comments to me that she's fat but I don't think so. She seems broad to me in the upper back area with a skinny behind so I think that's where they get that impression but when she's standing erect from the side, I think she looks right.
    Photobucket
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    Yes, Dakota looks a bit like a football player.. Very broad and stocky in the chest and front leg area, but still somewhat of a tuck up under her abdomen. I cannot easily feel her ribs though. It just concerned me to cut back to 3/4 cup a day when the feeding guidelines on the bag of TOTW suggested 1 - 1 1/2 cups for a dog her weight and age.. I know they are only guidelines though...... Also was not sure if I should cut back very gradually or just start feeding her less.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    One of my young girls is just over 14 inches, and 18lbs. She is in great shape, and I only give her 1/2 each day of Acana. I give her a lot of veggie treats and carrots too, and frozen Kongs with her kibble.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I would add to this thread that I feed raw, and they can just as easily get fat on a raw, grain free diet as on any other!

When I need to slim down my male Shiba, I feed him white fish and vegies (I just give him frozen carrot/pea mix or something like that) with some pumpkin. He doesn't enjoy it, but it does help him lose weight.
  • LosechLosech
    It's not necessarily grain-free as much as carb-free. Getting rid of grains is a good start and can help a lot but if the kibble is filled with carbs even without the grains that won't be as useful. And what Lisa said is true, any diet can get a dog fat if they are fed too much of it.

I've got two 50 pound dogs who eat kibble, they are about six and a half years old. One eats 2 cups a day, the other about 1 2/3rds. The kibble bag says to feed 2 1/3rd to 3 cups for their weight. One of them was really fat when I moved back in and they were eating a supercrap kibble, so I switched them to something better and cut the intake and upped exercise and now the fat dog isn't fat anymore.
    A lot of people didn't think Sasha was fat (20 pounds overweight, which is a ton for a dog), and they thought Juneau, who's pretty much always been at a perfect weight, is too skinny. Conker is a bit on the slim side but I intentionally keep him that way due to his knee problems and I catch crap all the time for that.

I cut back gradually so Sasha wouldn't try to steal from Juneau. Cutting back all of a sudden could make the dog not feel as full since they aren't getting their normal amount of food and they could cause problems looking for scraps and raiding the kitchen. Or they could do fine with it. Just depends on the dog. You could cut the kibble and add in green beans to make it seem like there's still the same amount of food. (If your Shiba will eat the beans.)
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    Good idea! Will try to sneak in some cooked green beans ... She will NOT eat carrots.
    When I give her a carrot, she looks at me like "you've got to be kidding...."
  • SayaSaya
    Saya plays with carrots only eats them if they're cooked and soft and even then it's hit or miss.
    Photobucket
  • I've learnt that shibas can vary so much in size reading the text book on what's ideal for size and weigh can vary so much from dog to dog. Tartchi certainly stands out in the group when it comes to weight and body size. We were in a group of about 8 and there was a few comments about "the hefty red one" in Australia my vet goes by the ideal weight of 10kg which I think is around 22lbs so tartchi had to loose about 8 lbs with increased exercise and backing off on the treats and hand feeding and reducing him to 5 raw chicken necks and 1/2 cup dry food.( purina supercoat) he lost about 5 lbs in a couple weeks but I noticed that he started to scoff his food so he is up to 7 chicken necks and a cup of dry food he has put a little back on but I think he is just more of a solid build if u were to c him alone u wouldn't say he was over weight he looks very healthy just ammongst leaner shibas he looks " solid". As long as he is gettn plenty of exercise I don't worry about the scales anymore.
    RAW chicken necks not too much fat and also great to keep healthy white teeth
    5 kids and a shiba, call me crazy, but i wouldnt change if for the world
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Raw chicken necks have quite a bit of bone and very little meat. Have you considered drumsticks instead?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • yeah tried drumsticks he doesnt really eat them id find them all over the place mostly in tact, a majorty of us here in aussie land are big on the necks the dogs here love them, when i say 5 or 7 necks thats obviously for good size necks if they are small well we double it. necks are the only thing i can guarentee will be finished. i have tried him on just about everything on the market, and found myself with loads of opened half eaten food.. as long as he is happy and healthy thats all i care about.. and he is definately both
    5 kids and a shiba, call me crazy, but i wouldnt change if for the world
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    Swimming or running on a beach.
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • I think a lot of us that follow a pretty classic BARF diet feed necks/backs. I do too, though I add other stuff to them too, and Lindsay pointed out that necks/backs can have a fair amount of fat (in the skin) so when I'm trying to slim down Toby, I shift away from that to more lean meat.
  • takoyakitakoyaki
    Get a flirt pole the best fun ever - http://www.bestdogkennel.com/product/TR-FP
    If you have a big living room you can make a seriously good game out of it indoors.
    Because they fly around and they squeak its the ultimate Shiba chasing game.

When Tako was still under house arrest due to her jabs this is how we exercised her. Make sure your Shiba can drop on demand though! and interrupt the game regularly with settles and some obedience as they can get really overexcited.
  • I took Quake to the vet on Saturday and he has gained six pounds since his neuter. I cut his kibble consumption by one half and switched hin to Wellness Core Low Fat kibble after the neuter and he still gained weight!!! I also increased his activity level after the neuter. He is only getting one cup of kibble per day so the vet says he must not be metabolizing the Wellness Core kibble. His poop seemed fine so there was no indication that he was not metabolizing. I am looking for suggestions for new kibble. I need a high protein, low fat, low carb kibble. Thanks.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Antoinette - Lots of threads on kibble on the forum already, and this link has been posted about 9,000,000 times, but I will post it again:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Go through the website and look for some foods that fits your requirements. What works for one dog may not work for another.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Thanks so much!!
  • knnwangknnwang
    I was grooming Ratchet and noticed he was no longer able to bite his own tail to scratch! I think he's over weight.

Edit: 6 months he was on pills for fleas. And I'm pretty sure a cooked rice, chicken, eggs... basically cooked diet.

R stayed with my sister, her husband and 2 nieces. I needed some time to recover from surgury. I'm greatfull they where looking after him.
    Post edited by knnwang at 2016-11-27 07:26:58
  • @knnwang-Quakey gained six pounds after his neuter. I cut back his food by one half and also started to give him The Honest Kitchen Zeal in the morning along with 1/4 cup of green beans and Acana Fish kibble in the evening along with 1/4 cup of green beans. I also limited his treats. I went to a no grain diet. He now weighs less than before the neuter.
  • knnwangknnwang
    Thanks @Antoinette, I’ll add carrots and green beans to his diet, and cutting back his kibbles to 1 cup. He wouldn’t eat his kibbles from his bowl. I had to keep his kibbles in a Ziploc bag, and hand feed him throughout thanksgiving weekend.

Here a picture of him standing, looks normal:
    photo 20161124_205254_zps0yfgy44c.jpg

Not the best picture but you can see how his rump is more filled. R has to squeeze through the doggy door witch he was able to zip in and out.
    photo 20161124_223107_zpswianaycg.jpg

He can reach his tail if he really tries, but he’s only able to reach his bum comfortably for self-grooming.
    photo 20161124_205935_zpsvj2f6hp6.jpg

I’ll get better picture, and post once this disappointment feeling passes.
  • My chubby boy likes cooked green beans with his kibble and he will even do tricks for green beans now! We don't put them in with every meal because we don't want them to loose value to him. He won't touch carrots though haha I've tried many times. He gained weight after his neuter and I've had a tough time getting his weight down, he's a really picky eater. I had to stop giving him treats that had a high fat content, now he doesn't get treats that are more than 5% fat, unless its a special occasion. We also started giving him 1/4 cup of Earthborn Weight control kibble and 1/4 cup Fromm beef frittata kibble because he wouldn't just eat the weight control kind. We do that for breakfast and dinner and try to reduce the amount of treats he gets throughout the day. He used to be 37lbs, a few months ago he was down to 32lbs, and I want to bring him back to the vet and weigh him again this month because I think he has lost even more weight!
  • JuniJuni
    @knnwang what did you mean with "looks normal" under the first picture? I'm sorry to be blunt but he definitely looks overweight in that picture.
    Are you still recovering or are you able to exercise him a bit more or can someone help you out and take him out for walks?
  • knnwangknnwang
    I know he's overweight. I'm fine now. I'll be upping his walk/run duration until I can get him back down to 25 - 30 lbs.
  • @knnwang-I really stress that what helped Quakey drop weight in a healthy manner was cutting his portions but also feeding him The Honest Kitchen Zeal in the morning along with the green beans. Then at night he gets his kibble along with the green beans. I think the fish in The Honest Kitchen Zeal and the Acana fish are easier to digest. I also make sure to give treats that are no grain and low calorie and I limit his intake of treats. I have always given him three 40 minute aerobic walks a day so it was the change in his diet that resulted in the weight loss.
  • knnwangknnwang
    Never tried Honest Kitchen before, it looks good. I'll pick up a box of the fish from one of the stores the site list as a reseller near by. Stick with the 3 40+ aerobics a day.

Thank you @antoinette & @juni
  • JuniJuni
    Sorry I wasn't sure what you meant with the comment under the picture. Do you know what weight he used to be? And now?
  • knnwangknnwang
    He was at 25 lbs 6 months ago. He feels like 35 lbs when I pick him up, I haven't put him on a scale per say. It's obvious just by looking at Ratchet, he's overweight.

Diet and exercise it is. I should have some good news to report in a few weeks.
  • @knnwang-You will be able to get his weight down. I freaked out when Quakey got up to 36 pounds after his neuter and now he's a trim 26 pounds. Take him to the vet for a fun visit and a weigh in so you know exactly how much he needs to trim down. The good news is that you are doing something about it. :)
  • @knnwang How's Ratchet doing? I am curious to see how well your changes worked for him. :)
  • knnwangknnwang
    It's getting there.

This, a few weeks ago:
    photo 20161203_123912_zpsluko7oxn.jpg

These, weekend yesterday:
    photo 20170114_120243_zpsyua1ftbb.jpg

photo 20170114_120258_zpsfbqornp9.jpg

Hes waist is starting to come back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)