For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Puppy ran away
  • Psy1ockePsy1ocke
    Unfortunately, Rascal ran away on Friday evening. He slipped out of his harness somehow and I haven't been able to find him. I miss him badly at times. I just hope that, if he isn't returned, that he ends up in a wonderful home with caring "parents."
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-01 04:16:50
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Are you serious? That's terrible! I can't even imagine the heartache you're experiencing right now.

If you haven't done so already, please consider blanketing the area with posters. Even in this internet-driven age, posters on telephone poles, pet store bulletin boards, your local library or other public spaces, etc., can still be very effective. Also aside from the humane society and animal shelter, don't forget to check with all your local vets. If something happened to him (knock on wood), someone might have brought him in... It's not too late to give up hope.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-07-12 16:11:07
  • SayaSaya
    Oh my! I hope you find him.

post on craiglists kijiji any online local thing too.

Put posters everywhere maybe some in places like grocery store or kinda far from town just in case.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Definitely start posting flyers all over. And as Jessica mentioned in another post I would put that your pup needs heart medication on the flyer.
  • Oh my gosh, I hope you can find rascal.
    My best wishes!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Oh wow... I would definitely do the aforementioned things... Call all of your area shelters and alert them, as well as provide pictures. You may want to go down personally and check their stray/lost dogs. Get in touch with local animal control and law enforcement offices. They can be quite helpful in a lost dog circumstance.

Is Rascal microchipped? Did he have a collar with ID on?

I hope you are able to find him soon!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • OMG! I am so sorry! I will keep you in my thoughts and pray that he comes home safe and sound!
    I came outside to find Khali's collar on the ground attached to her line and about had a panic attack, thankfully she was just a few feet away sleeping in the yard.
  • nikiniki
    that's terrible...I really hope you find him. :-( Sending positive vibes your way...
  • emmyemmy
    The rescue I worked with told me to make sure to let them know if my dog ever got lost because they know lots of places to look that I wouldn't think of. Alert everyone you can that you are looking for him and maybe if he gets found by someone they will think to let you know. I hope you find him!
  • JudyJudy
    You can also go to petfinder.com and place a classified ad under the lost pets category.
  • so sorry to read this post :( shibas are truly escape artists and will jump at the opportunity to bolt. I actually took an obedience class because my mojo would run out of the house or yard often if we weren't watching like a hawk. I had him microchipped (plus he wears a collar with ID) Hope your puppy had at least the collar. Please post the minute you find him. I feel so bad reading about escaping puppies...and hope if they aren't returned, at least someone will keep and love him.
  • Psy1ockePsy1ocke
    Thank you to everyone who posted comments about Rascal. It turns out that, in the area where he ran away, a golf course spanned most of the property. It is bordered by three major streets. My fiance, Rick, and I figured that, because he was so timid anyway, he would not venture towards the traffic.

It turns out that we were right - the golf course has seen Rascal multiple times but they cannot catch him! The golf course staff have been wonderful, even going as far as to "lure" him by showing him food but he won't have any of it. Rick has even set a live trap for him but has only caught raccoons. I told him that we should keep a raccoon and name it "Rascal" since they are apparently easier to catch. I'm just kidding. It seems that he may become a permanent "mascot" for the golf course. He is microchipped but the harness that he slipped out of contained his tags.

But I still miss him badly and I was SO sad (cried a LOT) when he ran away, especially during the first weekend. I didn't think I would become that attached to him but I found that Shibas really steal your heart.

In about six months' time, if he isn't returned, I'm thinking about adopting another Shiba puppy or rescue an adult. Does anyone have any recommendations for breeders close to the Richmond, VA area?
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Well this is encouraging news! Are you telling us that he is alive and well and just wandering around in the golf course? If that's the case, maybe you can persuade the golf course staff to let you camp out on the grounds at night where he is most often seen with some of his favorite toys in the hopes of being reunited with him?

Jesse
  • SayaSaya
    Wow I'm glad he is still alive too bad the traps are only getting racoons. =(

Jesse has a good idea rascal will most likely come to you than some stranger.

I really hope you can get him back.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • lepercannlepercann
    Shibas are such escape artists and they run like the wind. Sophie escaped when we were visiting my mom and my uncle held the door open as he was leaving the house. The whole situation was very upsetting because my husband Eric and I are so vigilant about doors and such, knowing shibas as well as we do. My mom lives on a busy road, but thank god I had help. My husband and brother in law immediately took off running after her, and I'm a runner so I was just behind them. My husband got in the road and stopped traffic so when she ran across, she wasn't hit. We got extremely lucky, after sprinting after her for almost 1 mile, she finally stopped and my brother in law picked her up. I have never been so scared in my life. I was hysterical when we finally got her. My pets are like my children and I can't imagine living without them. We didn't have her harness on because I normally take it off while we're in the house, and it had her tags on it. She can't get microchipped until she gains more weight, she was emaciated when we got her and the vet doesn't want to hurt her with the needle. I pray that you get Rascal back soon. Don't lose hope!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    That's really awesome that he's been sighted! I don't think you should give up hope of recovery, not until the sightings stop altogether.

I think camping out at the golf course would be wonderful if you could manage it. He'd be so much more likely to come to you at some quiet moment when the coast is clear. I have a hard time imagining Rascal (or any frightened, slightly wild shiba or other dog) just approaching any beckoning stranger, especially if he's already been out loose for a few days. I could see a golf course groundskeeper with a soothing voice and friendly demeanor eventually earning his trust, but he'd probably remain quite skittish about approaching.

I've known rescue groups that rely on patience, using more long-term methods (i.e., over the course of weeks if not months) to lure semi-feral dogs into captivity, where they were spayed/neutered and released. They set out food at a designated spot for a few weeks, until the dog knows to come back to that same place (may be more difficult with raccoons in the area). Or one or two people go out looking for the dog and when he is spotted, gently toss him delicious treats until he's willing to get closer and closer and closer. He's not likely to take the food directly from a stranger's hand, so as much as the golf course people have tried, it's no surprise that they haven't been able to lure him closer. It takes diligence and luck and maybe a gentle personality. But if Rascal's staying in the same vicinity, I believe he can eventually be captured.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-08-13 17:28:47
  • sunyatasunyata
    Does Rascal like other dogs?

If so, I would talk to the golf course and have some friends bring their dogs to the course with you. The other dogs may be enough to incite Rascal to come out and play.

Camping out at night might also be a good idea. Especially if you are in VA... It has been so crazy hot during the day that even my crazy pups have been loafing around during the day. Night brings out the cooler temperatures, which Shibas LOVE.

Keep your chin up. With dedication and persistence, I am sure you can bring Rascal home.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • PupChowPupChow
    I'm following this story and crossing my fingers for you. It sounds like it will just be a matter of time before you can get your little puppy back! Mac's Action Adventure Stories
  • whoa! There has been sightings. I would definitely ask the golf course to let you hang out there over night. And bring his favorite treats! Good luck! hope you find him.
  • Yeah, I'd second everyone else's thoughts....if there have been sightings, you should be able to get him back eventually--try to stay there overnight. Maybe there are dog rescue groups in your area that might have more tips about catching feral dogs or be able to help?

I'd really work on trying to catch him (rather than getting another dog!) because he really needs you, poor little guy! I hope you catch him!Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
    From the House of the Fox Dogs blog
    Why it's Not About Dominance
    Bel's thread: the story of a puppy mill Shiba's life
  • jujeejujee
    Great news that there have been sightings! don't lose hope! He's still out there and is probably trying to find you. I second what everyone else has said about camping out. GL! Wishing you the best
  • Psy1ockePsy1ocke
    Rascal never did show up :( He was microchipped and I was hoping that he would have been picked up and then, hopefully, taken to the vet but no luck.

It's taken me awhile to get over that event but the good news is that I'm willing to try adopting a Shiba again. I'm currently on the search for a reputable breeder who is relatively close to VA.

Thank you so much for all of your support and comments. I have never met any of you but your words of encouragement show what a great group of individuals you are!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    If he's still being spotted, don't give up on him!
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Lindsay, I don't think he is....the original post was from 2010.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)