For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas on Craigslist
  • JudyJudy
    Have you seen Smokey, NYCSR's long haired boy?
  • @Judy, I did... He's one of the NJ 22, isn't he? It's part of why I was wondering aloud if long-hairs were showing more in mill lines, or if they've always been there. I've seen I think one other in rescue, Stateside. The long-hairs that I've heard about on this forum have mostly been from reputable breeders who would, I think, insist on having first call if the dog needed to be rehomed for any reason.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Stef777Stef777
    @ Curlytails Yea I feel SUPER bad for the one with allergies. The owner is located in Brea like me so I offered to help her try to find her a home. I told her about the forum hopeing that she could talk to other shiba owners that have similar dogs and maybe end up being able to keep her dog. Poor thing.... :(
  • I've seen the Maple Grove boy! (we live in the twin cities area) He is actually a bit skinnier than the pictures imply and was in terrible need of a brushing when I saw him (about 2 months ago)
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • JudyJudy
    Sorry for repeating that, but they posts are coming up slowly for me right now. Yes, he's one of the NJ 22.
  • LosechLosech
    http://medford.craigslist.org/pet/2706641608.html

Female Shiba.
    4 year old Shiba Inu needs adoption. Great indoor or outdoor pet, great around children, great temperament. Our family is growing fast and we our not able to give our shiba the attention and love that she deserves. Please E-mail me if you are interested. Interview process and adoption process apply.

Seems like they are going to screen potential buyers which is good, but I'm not too fond of the "outdoor pet" thing.
    Post edited by Losech at 2011-11-17 21:21:19
  • I feel bad that this is only shibas. My area has a ridiculous amount of dogs...I've also found an akita inu. Do I post him here or...?
  • @munovice, there does happen to be a thread or two for Akitas on the Nihon ken side. Here's one:
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/6744

I would post Akitas there, because 1) there are already a ridiculous amount of Shibas on Craigslist, as evidenced here =( and 2) the idea is to repost to a "targeted" group of forum members who might be in a better position to intervene based on our own experience with this specific breed. Most of us on the Shiba side don't have experience with Akitas, and are not necessarily equipped to deal with them due to size, etc. I think you'd fare better on the Nihon ken side.
  • Stef777Stef777
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pet/2706490064.html

shiba inu puppy needs a new home (south la)

Unfortunately I have to rehome one of my beloved Shiba inundated puppies. I have a 6 month old male and a 3 month old female. I've had them each since 8 weeks old, and I love them both dearly. Unfortunately my land lord wants me to get rid of one of them and I frankly can't bare the fact, and can't decide which one of pups must go. So I'm offering both up and see which one can find a good family first. Both are great with kids and other pets, radio,(male) is house trained while Bailey(female) still needs work. Both are full bred and have documentation along with birth data's. Pleased mail for more info. Both come with kennels and beds. And both are kennel trained.
  • BootzBootz
    Omg so tempting to drive down to see the male.
  • Stef777Stef777
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pet/2708973113.html
    [Edit: phone # removed, ad expired]

**This one is sooo sad!! How could you give your dog up after 11 years???

BEAUTIFUL PUREBRED SHIBA INU COMPANION FOR ADOPTION (Pasadena, CA)

I have a PUREBRED Shiba Inu that I need to find a good home for. He is a senior dog (11 years old) but still absolutely beautiful and FULL of energy! He has been a loyal companion since he was a pup and if I didn't have to move in with and care for my father into a place that doesnt accept dogs, I would not be parting with him. His name is Jazz, red/brown in color and only about 25 lbs. He LOVES to play around the apartment and with a couple of walks a day is a GREAT apartment dog because he doesnt need a lot of space. He loves to sunbathe on a patio or deck but likes to be confined in a gated area, he isnt free-roaming. There is a small rehoming fee but he comes with his automatic dog feeder (which he loves), leash, collar and his own bed. If you have any questions or would like to come meet him feel free to email me at abra.luciana@gmail.com or call my cell at 626-XXX-4123.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-01-20 18:51:50
  • BootzBootz
    I agree, thats horrible. ;(
  • I really hate it when people get rid of their elder dogs. That is just plain awful. Poor Jazz!

And one in LA. A Shiba Inundated? I mean, sometimes I feel that way, but.... *lol*
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-11-19 01:32:55
  • JudyJudy
    We're seeing it with quite a few older shibas. I currently have a 12 yr old foster.
  • Here is one in WI:

I am rehoming my female Shiba Inu. She is already fixed, so she cant be bred. She is housebroke and kennel trained. Would do best in home with no other dogs and no children. We love her, but do not have enough time for her unfortunately. Pics upon request.

http://appleton.craigslist.org/pet/2663889774.html

• The Shiba rescue here in CO recently got in a poor 14-year-old Sesame who got surrendered because he was going blind and snapped at a rowdy two-year-old. When the owner surrendered the dog with the donation for his care, he said "Well, it's cheaper than euthanasia." :( It made me want to cry. If I didn't have a full household, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I could NEVER part with any of my animals, let alone after over a decade!
    signature
  • MegaenMegaen
    Shiba Inu (Millersburg, MO)
    http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/pet/2740423339.html
    [EDIT: Phone # edited, ad flagged for removal]

2-year-old red ACA registerable Shiba Inu; neutered, wormed, vaccinated (including 3-year rabies tag), housebroken and quiet. Walks well on leash. $50--can deliver. Health records and registration application included.
    573-XXX-1162 or 573-XXX-5955.

shiba inu (lees summit)
    http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pet/2740608715.html

This is a 3 yr old beautiful, friendly shiba inu. She looks like a fox. My youngest daughter appears to be allergic and we cant get her past this. She is good with kids. She is shy at first and barks at strangers but she warms up quickly. She has no health issues, however she has not been fixed. She is a great dog! free to a good home and must be able to show her love! I can send txt pic only
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-01-20 18:51:25
  • That Millersburg ones strikes me as very fishy . . . It just reminds me a lot of the way websites for BYB and puppy mills sound.
  • JudyJudy
    Sure does. If you put that phone number into your search engine, comes up with ads for shihtzus, shibas & beagles!
  • @notoriousscrat Good call -- quick Google search of the number shows lots of other dogs and puppies that this person has sold before. Not sure if she's dumping or brokering without a license, but it's definitely suspicious. Best to be cautious.

I'll send some rescue info to the one in Lee's Summit.
  • Stef777Stef777
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pet/2742083466.html

2 Shiba Inu- Free to Perfect Home (Orange County, CA

Please contact us if you are interested in giving our 2 beautiful dogs a loving home. My husband and I recently had a baby and our dogs are not adjusting well. We have a male, Louie Vuitton, 3 years old, Red/White and a female, Chanel who is 2 years, Black/white/tan. They need a yard or someone who is incredibly active with time to play fetch, go running or dedicate time to them daily. They love people and to give love, such neat personalities. Really want you to earn their trust. They are both housebroken, excellent at obeying and overall amazing dogs. The main issue is they do not currently get along well with other dogs. This has been a recent development and I feel with proper training, this could easily change. I will only give them to an amazing home, one in which they will be loved and treated like a member of the family. It is heartbreaking to make this decision, so I can only do it if my heart will be peaceful. I have pictures and will be glad to answer any questions.

• BootzBootz
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pet/2803865099.html

I have a 9 Month Shiba Inu Female, her name is Sushi.
    She has all of her shots, and is the best dog Ive ever seen.
    Her personality is amazing, great with kids and loves to play.
    The best cuddler Ive ever met !

I have a rottweiler , so I can not keep this little one.
    Shes looking for someone who has some time for her, and who is patient and loving.
    I love this dog to death and you will too .

please text me or call me if you are interested, but email first
    Thank you for your time !

:( Sign. She shouldn't have gotten it in the first place
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-01-20 15:17:34
  • ^ wow why did she got a shiba if she has a rottweiler???
  • BootzBootz

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/for/2806988183.html

Am i the only one that thinks this shiba looks a little off?
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I think you'll find that a lot of the Shibas who are posted on Craigslist will look non-standard, in part because many (nearly all?) of them are not coming from responsible breeders who have it clearly stated in their contract that they are to be returned to the breeder if they need to be rehomed for ANY reason.

That said, it is still a Shiba needing a home, and there are resources available. I will contact the posters and let them know about the courtesy listings available through MSIR.

I sometimes refer people on Craigslist to this forum as well, especially if it sounds like they are considering rehoming their Shiba due to fixable training or management issues.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-01-20 19:00:40
  • BootzBootz
    ah. ok :)
  • BootzBootz
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/2810148456.html

Another one :( i just noticed they're all females!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Hmm, okay that last one is interesting. I would think that Copperdot would want to know if one of their Shibas needs to be rehomed... I e-mailed to see if they had contacted their breeder (since responsible breeders usually want to know, and they'll step in if they can do something about it), and also suggested networking with the Peninsula and Sacramento Shiba meetup groups.

The females often concern me, especially if they are unaltered, because they are vulnerable in the wrong hands.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-04-13 15:08:26
  • sunyatasunyata
    I sent an email to Copperdots with a link to the listing. Hopefully they will contact the owner and fix this situation.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • SakuSaku
    Ohhh..she is soo cute! If I were living in SF, I would love to have her...
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
    Post edited by Saku at 2012-01-20 20:55:58
  • BootzBootz
    @Saku, I am in SF! But unfortunately i already have two females. Bf will only accept a 3rd if its male to balance the house. lol T_T
  • InoushiInoushi
    @ivanmeza03, what does owning a rottweiler have to do with it? I owned a rottweiler before my shiba and they get along beautifully. Rottweilers are some of the most tolorant dogs when it comes to introducing new pets. Mine allowed a mouse to ride on her head on a daily basis, and before I got my shiba, shared free reign of the house with my ferret (which can't happen anymore due to the shiba). To be honest shibas are much more likely to not accept a new dog over a rottweiler, and im not talking about my own experience, but the general experiences for both breeds. Please dont take media hype as fact about the breed. If you look up their history you would be very surprised.

Sorry for coming in so off topic, but comments like these are the reason breed specific legislation is getting so much traction and are displacing so many dogs.
  • SakuSaku
    I am actually on a business trip to SF next week...and I thought...I could probably bring a crate with me and take her back to Philly! I am sooo crazy! I have two shibas already!
    I wish she will find her sweet home soon and people who have her are VERY lucky..very lucky!
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
    Post edited by Saku at 2012-01-20 22:05:24
  • that copperdot girl is gorgeous!

I wonder about the amount of females looking to be rehomed too (and worry that unaltered ones will end up with bybs or worse). I wonder if the females are a little more hard to handle? Mine is, but of course I can't judge from that, but I wondered.

• @Inoushi what I meant with my comment was if she already had a dog, why did she got a another one knowing she wouldn't be able to handle it. My cousin has a rottie, and many of my friends have pitts, I know they're not as the media portrays them, sweet dogs, specially with kids. Sorry for the misunderstanding
  • BootzBootz

@shibamistress, I think it depends on how many dogs are in the household. Bootz personality is really easy going/low maintenance because my Pom mix is very up tight. So they're like Ying and Yang.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-01-20 23:00:48
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    By the way, I recently met Diana Smiley (Copperdots). She thanked me for sending her alerts about some back yard breeders who ended up with her dogs. They got them round about, probably similar to how this person is posting their dog on CL. Same thing happened to a breeder up here. And all over. You can control who you sell to, but not who the person you sold to sells too, especially if they have full ownership.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    To add, sometimes the breeders are already aware of their pet homes having to rehome a dog, and doing via CL. Instead of the dog going back to the breeder and having to live in a kennel all of a sudden, they may actually prefer to have the owner do the best they can to locate a good home on their own. I don't think I would go this route personally, but sometimes the owners and breeder will work out something like this.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Diana was not aware of this situation and advised that she does not allow her dogs to be posted on CL. Hopefully she can contact the current owner and figure something else out.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Thanks Lindsay and Casey.

It did cross my mind that sometimes owners have their breeder's "permission" to use CL, which is why I usually check with the ad poster first. Of course, screening is still an issue, which is why I would hope it's a somewhat collaborative affair between breeder and owner if it comes down to that.

Sometimes people have responded to me that they completely forgot about the contract with their breeder. And sometimes people feel very sheepish about contacting their breeder about returning a dog, fearing judgment or reprisal or what have you. But things will and do happen -- I think a good breeder would ultimately want to be there for their dogs. And it would be such a load off the pet owner's mind to know that their pet *always* has a safety net, or someplace good to return to.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-04-13 15:09:15
  • BootzBootz
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pet/2954354623.html

I forgot who was in charge of the Shiba rescue in the bay area...

so hopefully somebody knows and can direct them to the link!

7 year old Shiba, red male. Needs to be re homed since owner has a new job that requires a lot of travel
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Not exactly CL, but this is too funny, listed as Shiba Inu x:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22722045
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Huh. Maybe they meant to list as Shih Tzu X?

@Bootz, I'll e-mail that poster to pass along info for NorCal Shiba Rescue. The guy who is in charge, Red Young, is pretty much a one man show... he does so much for Shibas in need. Luckily it sounds like this guy is in a good foster situation.

[EDIT: They got the message, and will be in contact with Red to see if he has any potential matches. I also suggested courtesy listing on MSIR's Nat'l Shiba Rescue courtesy listings, and on FB.]
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-04-13 15:03:09
  • Red Young is really helpful--he and Mitch Fuchs in NJ helped us find a place for the Shiba here in NM, who ended up not needing to go into rescue.
  • KitsuKitsu
    Such a cute Shiba Inu! :P
  • curlytailscurlytails
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/3059456432.html (Livermore, CA) -- pics, red
    Cute Shiba Inu Free to Good Home (dublin / pleasanton / livermore)
    Date: 2012-06-05, 1:36PM PDT
    Reply to: mwckr-3059456432@comm.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

7 year old male Shiba Inu, Sake. Needs a new home due to owner relocation and unable to bring dog. Very affectionate. Not good with kids younger than 7 years old or male dogs unless closely supervised.

Rescue has already contacted. Sounds like the same one as the one Bootz listed above.

EDIT: Reported adopted by a Shiba-experienced home!
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-23 19:22:37
  • curlytails and I have posted this Craigslist item on the Peninsula and Sacramento Shiba Inu Meetup websites.
  • pdleepdlee
    I live in the Midwest and am always looking on sites for Shibas (although I don't plan on getting one for a few more years), and found this one today.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/pet/3061203004.html

We have an amazing 2yr old female(not fixed) sheba inu that we have have to get rid of cause we are moving. We are moving in 2weeks and must find her a good home. She is great with kids and cats. She does get along with small dogs but not so well with bigger ones. Her name is Foxy Roxy and she looks just like a big fox/small red husky. She is very playful and loves to play catch. All her toys, leaches and food will go with her. We have trained her to do some tricks and is house broken. She would be a great show dog or breeder but is very good at just being a mans best friend. If you have any questions or would like to do a trial run with her please call Jenna at XXX-XXX-XXX. The housing fee can be discussed. We would love for someone to enjoy her as we have.
  • ShintalverShintalver
    http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/3056024499.html

This one is really bad, "he does have a heart tummer but showes no sign of it or is out growing it" WHAT?!? They also have an older ad, which shows they had two dogs, a male and female, 260 each or 500 for both. I guess whoever got the female didn't want the male with the "heart tummer." Just sad :-(

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/2987032719.html

This one is due to aggressiveness towards other dogs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)