For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas on Craigslist
  • InoushiInoushi
    @robes, Seeing as I have owned a hundred pound rottweiler in an apartment building for nine years I don't find those breed restrictions fair at all. Over the years because of these fears my family has been harassed for an assortment of reasons (even having officials spy on us). It didn't stop until my dog became known for her love of children (even saving one from getting hit by a car), became friends with all of the elderly and having a large group of small friends (smallest being a mouse). Yet my 30 pound Shiba who could care less about anyone outside of my personal circle, is often the first people try to approach. I always find it funny when people are shocked "the monster" dog is so kind and gentle whereas the the "baby" will growl if they invade his person space uninvited. Not to get off topic, but I really feel that in order for large reductions in homeless animals to be achieved, more efforts need to be made for making it possible for people to have them. I know quite a few people with the means, and desire for a rescue but can't get one due to landlords.I'm in a situation where I currently can have dogs as long as they don't cause problems, but due to a contrary situation on paper (so they can avoid lemon laws), I wasn't able to rescue a dog, which was what I really wanted to do, though I don't regret getting my boy.
  • robes325robes325
    I think in a moral sense you are completely right, but in a legal sense there are a lot of conflicts. Owners of apartment buildings believe that it is not a right, but a privilege to have animals in their apartment. I guess they consider all of the tenants--people who may be allergic or fearful of dogs. It is less of a legal liability to prohibit dogs in the apartment. Although this may be sad for dogs, it may be better for some humans. I took blaine on a flight with me once and tucked him under my seat where he comfortably slept for the whole flight. The lady next to me took her seat; she started sneezing, her eyes starting watering, and she couldnt stop coughing. After the flight ended and I took Blaine out, she said--"Oh, thats why I felt so sick. Im allergic to dogs!" I felt soo bad for her. I couldnt imagine if this lady was forced to live on the same floor, share the same hallway, and elevator with a dog she was allergic to. On another note, I lived in San Francisco in 2001 when two dogs mauled a neighbor to death in their apartment hallway. In this case, having these dogs in the apartment building actually caused the death of another tenant. I know this may seem like an extreme case, but this is what apartment owners think about when they decide these things. I think in a lot of situations they would not want to take the risk so they play it safe and prevent animals all together.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    ETA: Suggested contacting their original breeder (if not Petland), courtesy listings with Nat'l Shiba Rescue and closest regional rescue, if available.

Athens, GA
    http://athensga.craigslist.org/pet/2480280036.html
    Shiba Inu(&Dog Items) (Athens)
    Date: 2011-07-06, 3:07PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-e2sum-2480280036@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    **Before you FLAG please read entire article**
    I have a 30lb 3 Year Old Spayed Shiba Inu. I am moving and will not be able to take her with me.

--She is UTD on all vaccinations.

--Leash and House Trained.(Excellent walking/running) partner.

--She is a very Sweet and quiet girl, hesitant around strangers at first. I have only heard her bark a hand-full of times.

(Also never had a complaint from a neighbour and I live in an Apartment)

_____
    I also have a Medium Dog Crate, Medium Furminator, and Gift Certificate for A Yearly CheckUp all for sale.

If you have any questions please ask!

Iowa City, IA
    http://iowacity.craigslist.org/pet/2475885077.html (pic, red)
    Shiba Inu (Japanese) (Marion)
    Date: 2011-07-03, 6:10PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-jhvax-2475885077@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Female Shiba Inu 11 months old, looking for a good home for her , she is house trained, and has been since she was 9 weeks old, she is a Japanese Shiba Inu and weighs only 20 lbs. Vs American Shiba 40 lbs
    she is a very loving pup and needs the right home. We are selling her due to allergies in the home... She has an adoption fee with her She loves to go on walks is full of energy, sometimes to much...
    I just want to find her a good loving home, to someone whom has a fenced in yard for she loves to run outside... If you are interested please contact me thru my email serious inquiries only

Dayton, OH
    http://dayton.craigslist.org/pet/2473411203.html
    3 year old Shiba Inu to good home (Kettering, OH)
    Date: 2011-07-01, 10:01PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-5wnan-2473411203@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Need good home for 3 year old Shiba Inu dog. He is a great dog who loves to play and is great with people and kids. Doesn't do well with other small dogs though. Does best in a home with a fenced in yard. Has Petland papers, up to date on all vaccinations, and comes leash, harness, and cage. Must find a home because we can't keep him with our other animals, nor does he do well in an apartment. $25 rehoming fee to ensure he gets a good home. Serious inquiries only.

San Diego, CA
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pet/2477432276.html
    10 year old Shiba Inu to good home (Ramona 92065)
    Date: 2011-07-04, 10:09PM PDT
    Reply to: comm-8vkjq-2477432276@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    10 year-old Shiba Inu needs good, loving home. His name is Dakota. Good with kids 8 & up but grumpy towards smaller children. He growls at my 9-month old daughter but never to children who are older or adults. He is pretty independent, just needs daily pets and affection and a comfy bed to nap away on. He likes to play tug of war and catch balls/other bouncy toys. Pure bred and certified. Has all shots/medical care. Asking for small re-homing fee of $10 to the right person/family. He has a large sleeping kennel as well that you can keep him in since he has recently been having small accidents at night. With us, he stays indoors but has access to outside for bathroom use and when we leave and no one is home. He is trained and can sit, lay-down and stay. Does not beg for food either. We currently have a large mixed dog and 3 cats which he perfectly gets along with.

Please email back with your name and number.

Thanks!!

Wichita, KS
    http://wichita.craigslist.org/pet/2462317676.html (pic, sesame)
    [EDIT: Phone # removed, ad expired]
    Shiba Inu male dog (Valley center, ks)
    Date: 2011-06-25, 3:48PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-z3cga-2462317676@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    2 year old Niko is in need of a new home. We just got him hoping to add him to our family, but he does not get along with cats. Otherwise, he is smart and adorable and would make a great addition to any family that doesn't have cats. Asking a rehoming fee. Please, serious inquiries only. Call 316XXXXX96. He is neutered and has had all his shots including rabies.

Portland, OR
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pet/2475342960.html
    Shiba Inu (Portland)
    Date: 2011-07-03, 9:23AM PDT
    Reply to: comm-pmmgr-2475342960@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Female , 10 yrs. UTD on Shots and spayed. Very sweet loves kids, cats dogs, a her toys. Please e mail if interested. Rehoming fee 75.00
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-08-20 02:28:16
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Japanese vs American huh?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • AraksAraks
    ^^Exactly my reaction. I was like "umm, did I read that right?"
  • MegaenMegaen
    yeah i re-read it twice to make sure i saw it right...wasn't aware there was a Japanese and American Shiba Inu I mean yeah you could call it that I guess depending if you did get the shiba in Japan or America but based on weight??!!! ah well just some personal opinions on this "seller" i'll keep to myself lol
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Yeah, that doesn't make any sense....esp. since I think the shibas in Japan actually tend to be a bit bigger. Or so I thought when I lived there, and so I've been told, but of course, it could just be the regular variance in size we see here.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-07-09 18:17:55
  • InoushiInoushi
    Seems like just another new gimmick for selling puppies, that an ill-informed person was convinced of.
  • MegaenMegaen
    http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/pet/2488892144.html
    (Brookfield)
    [EDIT: Ad expired, phone # edited]
    Date: 2011-07-11, 3:07PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-psush-2488892144@craigslist.org

Electra is a 7 yr old Shiba Inu...she's house broken, leash broken, and crate trained. She's a beautiful dog with a great personality..she would probably be best suited for someone without any other pets because she doesnt get along with other animals. I hate to lose her, but with my work schedule she's not getting the attention she deserves. She's free to a good home as long as she can get a lot of attention. If interested text or call Laura at (660) XXX-XX73.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-10-04 00:51:55
  • MegaenMegaen
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pet/2497235292.html

SHIBA INU needs great owner/home (St. Peters, MO)
    Date: 2011-07-16, 10:35AM CDT
    Reply to: comm-taa3f-2497235292@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Dante is my tri-colored Shiba Inu, adopoted 2 years ago. I adore this dog! But I'm not around enough to take great care of him. : ( And he needs someone who will take great care of him. I won't let anyone take him home unless I'm convinced they can give him better than what he has here. I'll ask for a rehoming fee of $75, mostly to make sure you're serious about loving this crazy-fun sweetheart.

Some facts & quirks:

- Dante is neutered, about 3 years old, weighs about 20 lbs.
    - Gets along well with my cat (who grew up with him). They act like siblings: ignoring each other, playing/fighting with each other, ignoring each other, playing/fighting, etc. They're good sports.
    - Gets along fine with other dogs -- doesn't really pay much attention to them.
    - He knows "sit" & "out" (if I want him to leave a room), & he knew "lay down"
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Poor Dante sounds like he has thyroid disease!"Common sense isn't so common"
    @Lindsay, yeah, could be. Or some sort of seizure disorder like Bel has....a lot of those things sound like her (but at least it doesn't sound like Dante is aggressive).
  • OuijaOuija
    lindsayt and shibamistress, I am in talks with the above CL poster about Dante. I am meeting her tonight, and I was wondering what in the post makes you think it's thyroid or seizure related? I am not too well versed in either of those things in dogs. Thanks!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I would say these things:
    Everyone who knows Dante loves him and knows he's not "100% right in the head." I call him my schizo-shiba. : ) He hears things/senses things, & will randomly start barking or growling at seemingly-nothing.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
    Yep, that's exactly what I thought. Those are things my Bel does, and while she's only had one full on seizure, she has had plenty of other petit mal seizures where she blacks out for less than a minute and comes back confused. Epi-dogs can have hallucinations, both visual and aural. Lots of people live just fine with epi-dogs though. There aren't easy (or inexpensive) diagnosis, but often the vet diagnoses on the basis of observed behavior and ruling out other things. It's not too hard to treat, either, with phenobarbital or other meds, and a lot of people only start to treat it when a dog has had several seizures. In my case, we've been around and around with it because Bel is also VERY aggressive, has periods of extreme fearfulness....we've been trying to get that under control (to no avail). If he doesn't have the aggression, and if he even did have a seizure disorder, he could still be a wonderful pet. But epilepsy can also be difficult and heartbreaking, too, depending on how bad it is.

A low thryoid can also cause all sorts of odd behavior....you might ask if he's had his thyroid tested.

eta: I love the name Dante btw. Let us know how your visit goes. I wonder if he'll be like Bel was: so fearful he wouldn't even approach any prospective new owners....
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-07-18 15:05:09
  • OuijaOuija
    I guess this is where my novice pet ownership comes into play because I just thought since dogs have a keener since of hearing that barking at nothing was a personality quirk! Hence, why I love to read this forum!

I will definitely be talking to her about both of these things and will let you know how it goes. Thanks!
  • OuijaOuija
    Hello All! I met with Meg today about Dante. She said she had his thyroid tested about a year ago and everything came back normal. She said he is very fearful of everything. They have been living with her dad for about a year and a half now but he won't eat unless she's home. Her dad says when she's gone Dante does nothing. Just lay until she gets back. I don't really know what dogs do when they're owners are gone, but does that seem weird?

Anyway, Dante was very quiet during our visit. We met at Petsmart. He allowed me to pet him. His hind legs were shaking pretty much the entire time. He seems like a good dog but I told her I am concerned that he wouldn't eat if I'm not around and also this fear he has. Does anyone know if obedience classes would help with fear issues?

I asked her about seizures. She said he's never had any.

She also expressed that she didn't realize how tightly knit people with Shibas are. Three of the messages she received concerning him were directing her to the Shiba rescue. And I thought about you guys! Anyway, she said she's not going to give him to anyone unless she feel's like it's a good home. She told me if I decide on another Shiba, then maybe we could walk our Shibas together.
    I'm glad she's going to keep him unless she can find the right home! She may not find a home for him, so I hope she sticks to that.

He sounds very fearful, as I kind of expected from her craig'slist posting. I don't think obedience classes help much, though of course all dogs are different. But my fearful girl is so fearful in places like Petsmart or a training facility that she just shuts down and can't do anything. Fear issues are really hard to deal with. If you can build a dog's confidence enough that small doses of being out don't make the dog shut down, you might be able to make some progress with a positive training class, but it's still a big if--ie. getting the dog to the point that they feel confident enough to go out. I have not been able to get my girl to that point.

My girl also doesn't eat regularily if I'm gone.

I don't know....it sounds to me like it would be really hard for Dante to go to another home.
  • emmyemmy
    http://springfield.craigslist.org/pet/2534661977.html (pic, red)

Brewski is a 6 year old male Shiba Inu who I have had since he was a little over 6 months old. He is a wonderful dog - full of energy, faithful, loves to play fetch and show off the tricks that he knows. The only reason we are looking to place him with a new family is that when my son was born he had respiratory issues and our pediatrician told us to remove all animals from the house. Brewski has lived outside ever since (nearly 2 years). We are looking to find a family that will be able to provide Brewski with the attention he deserves.

Brewski is fixed and healthy. He is great with children, although I would say his energy might be better suited for older children rather than toddlers or infants. He has lived with a cat his whole life and has never been aggressive towards her. He is friendly with everyone but will let you know if someone is close to, or on, your property who is a stranger. He was crate trained until his move outside and I am sure he would be fine to move back to a crate. He is house broken as well.

The only concerns I would point out about him are that he is very aggressive towards other dogs (that is the nature of his breed) and he is a runner (another breed characteristic - they are hunting dogs in Japan) so he needs to be on a leash or in a fenced in yard. He does not try to get out of the yard, we have never had problems with him digging or trying to escape when the gate is opened.

We love Brewski very much and this has been a very difficult conclusion to come to, but we feel this is what is best for him. If you are interested in Brewski, we would like to meet your family and talk about the conditions he will be in before we make any decisions.

Please email with any questions or concerns you may have. Thanks and have a great day.
  • tobysmomtobysmom
    I ran across this ad while trying to find Toby a sister. When I e-mailed the owner everything sounded ok till I said I would get her spayed then she emailed me back and said my family would not be a good fit. Their have been no tests run on the dogs to check for thyroid problems and the owner doesn't seem to know much about the pedigree. I feel bad for Cinci their is no reason I can tell for breeding her. We are currently working on getting an older shiba that is in need of a home if that falls through I may try to contact them again(not sure I can go from 1 shiba to 4), originally they wanted $500 for the pair but said they would sell her for $200, now they are $375. Any suggestions on how to get them to understand that what they are doing is wrong?

http://northeastoh.ebayclassifieds.com/dogs-puppies/rogers/shiba-inu-pair/?ad=12982961
    Post edited by tobysmom at 2011-08-08 23:31:43
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    "she should be coming in heat soon"

That doesn't really sound like a strong selling feature if their goal is to "adopt" to a pet home. Sounds more like an online auction for a backyard breeding setup to make money. I also see no reason to breed this dog. It's too bad they won't sell her to a responsible home. In their eyes, I'm sure they think they are right, or justified, or whatever. Perhaps a well written letter of concern?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • tobysmomtobysmom
    I did some more research the area they are from has a lot of open auctions (were in Ohio and for right now dogs are allowed to be sold in auction). I thought the heat comment was disgusting when the ad was originally posted it said "she has had 3 heats", but I think the update is more disturbing. My guess is they are just trying to make money on them and do not really care about the dogs. My husband and I are going to discuss it tonight and we may get them just to get them out of the situation, spay and neuter then try to rehome them, unless things don't work out with the older Shiba and Toby likes Cinci then we would keep her, if I can get one of my friends to help (she is a breeder and has strict standards when homing her pups). When I was in High school I helped a local group that rescued Cocker Spaniels doing foster work, I loved it, maybe its time to start doing it again just with Shibas. Only thing holding me back is my 7 yr old become attached very quickly but he would love to save all the pound dogs if he could he said when we got Toby.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I have a hard time with ads like that who clearly look at the dogs' potential as "breeding pairs" and are interested in their profitability and not their companionship. I've never succeeded in trying to convince those types of people to change their minds. That's part of why I focus so much on the "receiving" end. If there was no market for unethically-bred puppies, those breeders may eventually find that the upkeep of their intact dogs to be more trouble than it's worth. Is this an efficient solution? Am I going to see the end of puppy mills and backyard breeders in my lifetime? I doubt it... but I fail as a negotiator when I have to talk to unreasonable people.

I know some saintly individuals who DO go to those heartland auctions to buy breeding dogs out of their misery, or sponsor the rescue of vulnerable dogs that they see on Craigslist. Their thought is that they are not going to single-handedly stop those auctions anyway, so they may as well go in there and try to save the few individuals that they can. I think a lot of rescue organizations are not willing to put that money directly into sellers' hands, because they don't want the seller to be rewarded in any way for what they're doing. If they get the money they're asking for, they'll just go back at it again. Someone has just made their efforts worthwhile, so they've no reason to think differently.

It's a touchy subject, that's for sure...
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Fort Dodge, IA
    http://fortdodge.craigslist.org/pet/2521969847.html
    Female Shiba Inu (Algona, IA)
    Date: 2011-07-30, 7:04PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-awfdu-2521969847@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    I have a female Shiba Inu. She is a year and a half to two years old, not fixed. She is up to date on her shots. I am being forced to downsize on pets, and she needs more time and attention then I can give her. She is very energetic and loving. Rehoming fee applies. Please email for pictures.

Bloomington, Indiana
    http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pet/2514071648.html
    [EDIT: Phone # removed, ad deleted]
    Shiba Inu (indianapolis)
    Date: 2011-07-31, 10:56PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-guh4s-2514071648@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Male Shiba Inu 1 1/2 years old. Black and Tan from registered parents. Good with
    kids and raised with a chiwawa and a rotweiller so he needs a home of his own
    where he will get the attention he needs. You must have knowledge and experience
    with the Shiba Inu breed of dogs as they are a unique breed with a great
    personality and they make good watch dogs. Free. Potential new owners will need
    to be approved by me. please contact me at the number below for pictures. I will
    not answer emails. 812-XXX-XX39

Missoula, Montana
    http://missoula.craigslist.org/pet/2517510559.html
    Shiba Inu (Missoula)
    Date: 2011-07-28, 8:33AM MDT
    Reply to: comm-gzvws-2517510559@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    1 yr old neutered male Shiba Inu, has AKC papers but transfer not complete. He is a friendly dog, house trained and likes children. Needs a fenced yard and someone to take him for walks or jogging (loves being on a leash). Small rehoming fee to ensure you are committed to he becoming a part of your family. (Reason for rehoming is I have two female Shiba's and they are very aggressive with him).
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-08-20 02:30:07
  • Found this one tonight. Hope he makes it out in time.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pet/2551007111.html
  • KhaikoKhaiko
    Sadly I keep trying to look for puppies or young shibas in Montreal, Canada and I can't find any or else I would rescue one... :S But I don't know if I pay the flight the rescues in US are allowed to be shipped does someone know?
  • http://columbus.craigslist.org/pet/2520278384.html

This makes me so angry and sad! I wish I could take this poor dog in.

"I just need to get rid of her" how awful!
  • KhaikoKhaiko
    OMG.. "I just need to get rid of her" that's disgusting!!
  • AsterixAsterix
    Khaiko - you can get dogs shipped to Canada. Check out the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)'s website for paperwork requirements, but basically the requirements for importing a dog are:

Under 3 months (unaccompanied by owner): needs a veterinary certification of health
    3-8 months (unaccompanied by owner): veterinary certification of health and certification of rabies vaccination
    Over 8 months: certification of rabies vaccination.

Plus you'll probably have to pay GST & QST on the dog's purchase price, and potentially a $25 dog inspection fee if the customs people think the dog needs to be checked out.

Airline shipping costs aren't insane - in the $200 range, if I remember correctly (plus the cost of the shipping kennel).
  • KhaikoKhaiko
    @ Asterix then that's great news, I'll start looking for a rescue dog then!! Thanks a lot for the information.
  • KhaikoKhaiko
    Cuddly small shiba inu (new jersey)
    Date: 2011-07-21, 5:52PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-nggjk-2506393286@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    This shiba inu is 5 months old and needs a home. She is half way trained to go outside. I have to pads that she goes on and she sometimes goes outside. She is light brown and friendly. Her name is princess and she is a wonderful, lovely, happy pup. Right now she is teething and i have chew toys for it. If you would like her i have some food, toys, pads, and bowls for her food and water. If you are interest please contact me.

I emailed her to ask if she has her papers, if she had her shots and if she is willing to send her to Canada if I pay all the extra cost.. We will see. Cause there is no way I will let a 5 months old puppy be on the Craigslist!
    Post edited by Khaiko at 2011-08-19 12:22:44
  • I would also ask why she needs to rehome the pup.http://obeytheshiba.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/OBEYZIM
    http://packlove.com/zim
  • KhaikoKhaiko
    @notoriousscrat True

DOG NEEDS A GOOD HOME!! (Olathe, KS)
    Date: 2011-07-07, 3:54PM CDT
    Reply to: sale-sut8k-2482344367@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    "Raven" is a 4 year old Shiba Inu mix, she's house trained and very loving. Great with children. We would love to keep her but we're not home enough to give her the attention she deserves. SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY! There is a $25 rehoming fee just so we know she will be taken care of the way she needs to be!

You can respond to this add or leave a message at
  • That was so sad about the "I just need to get rid of her" esp. that she is an older dog. I hate people sometimes.
  • tobysmomtobysmom
    Here is another in Ohio. http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pet/2556438668.html
    and two in new castle, PA: I did contact the owner they did not know Dixie's age, she needs spayed, and all shots. How do you not have a guess to the age of your dog?!
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pet/2554398651.html
    Post edited by tobysmom at 2011-08-20 11:53:31
  • curlytailscurlytails
    South Jersey, NJ
    http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pet/2620048267.html (pics, red)
    [edit: phone # edited, ad expired]
    Shiba Inu (Male) (Mays Landing)
    Date: 2011-09-27, 12:10PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-bj4kk-2620048267@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Red with blonde highlights, male, 4 year old Shiba Inu. He is very playful and loyal. ( More a female's dog but, would be just as well with the right person) Has had extensive training, regular vet visits and grooming- reciepts and paperwork to document all. I am looking to recover training expenses. He is completly trained and housebroken. He will not jump on you, or furniture unless told to and he ralrely barks. He looks like a fox! He is great with children older than say 6 and this is why I must get rid of him. I have 2 babies and he doesn't fair to well with them. He comes with toys, some food and container, bowls, leashes- Has had a recent dose of advantix and intreceptor. For more information please call Rob at 609-XXX-0021.

Mitchell, SD
    http://sd.craigslist.org/pet/2627617240.html (pics, cream)
    [EDIT: Ad deleted, phone # edited]
    Shiba Inu Looking for a Home (Mitchell SD)
    Date: 2011-10-01, 4:28PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-mdh7m-2627617240@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Louie is a vey sweet, quiet companion dog. He's about 6 yrs old and a dog of his own. He has a few little quirks, but overall, he's good boy. He is neutered and up to date on shots. He'd do best as an only dog or with another small dog as a friend. He'd also need an adult home or a home with older children. When he wants to be petted, he'll come to you and nibble on you. When he gets excited, such as when he's waiting for his food, he barks and turns in circles. He's crate trained and is ready to go to his forever home.
    Call 605-XXX-9303. Serious inquiries only. Do your research or be familiar with this breed.

Albany, GA
    http://albanyga.craigslist.org/for/2623118991.html (pics, red)
    [EDIT: Ad deleted, phone # edited]
    Shiba Inu Puppy - $100 (Albany, GA)
    Date: 2011-10-03, 2:15PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-ufyx2-2623118991@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Male 8 month old Shiba Inu puppy.

Has not been nuetered.Up to date on all shots/dewormed.

$100 includes crate/food/treats/etc. Very friendly around people & pets. Loves kids.

Text/call: (229) XXX-5694
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-01-20 18:54:00
  • JudyJudy
    Curlytails, I've emailed the South Jersey, NJ one.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Judy great, thanks. That one looks very pretty. I wonder who his breeder is, and maybe if they'd be willing to help rehome?
  • JudyJudy
    If he responds, I will check that out. When one in the area comes up on craigslist, don't hesitate to email me directly through NYC - judy.dove@nycshibarescue.org. As their intake director, I've been busy and don't check in on this forum as much as I should.
  • Judy or curlytails. I might be interested in the South Jersey Shiba depending on how he would get along with my 18 month old Shiba. We've been thinking about adding to our family. I will call today to see if he is still available.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @csschneider, that's great! Let us know if it works out.

And if it doesn't, there's still the recent batch of 22 shibas of all ages from the NJ Puppy Mill bust. Check that thread I linked and/or their Facebook page for details.
  • JudyJudy
    I didn't get any response back from the craigslisting.
  • I spoke to the owners today. They are asking $300 and someone looked at him today but wasnt sure if they were taking him. I cant get down until the weekend so if he is still available I'll take Fuji and see if they seem to get along.
  • LosechLosech
    Female Pure Breed Shiba Inu (Southern Oregon) No picture
    Clicky

Sakura is our nearly 4 year old Shiba Inu. We are looking for a home for her as we dont have the time that her needs require. She is absolutely wonderful with kids and would be a great family pet. She loves going for walks, playing, chewing on toys/bones, and of course the human touch. She would fit a family with older kids as she needs lots of attention. We have babies and she is wonderful with them but she needs more. I would be more than happy to email pictures to those interested. We are asking for a re-homing fee.

I would ask to visit but Mom has put a limit on the number of dogs allowed in this house. I just hope that she finds a good home.
  • Manhattan, NY
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pet/2681100537.html (pics, cream)
    [EDIT: Phone # edited, ad expired]

GIVING AWAY A CUTE SHIBA INU (MANHATTAN)
    Date: 2011-11-02, 9:14AM EDT
    Reply to: comm-rzynv-2681100537@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    I'm giving away a male shiba inu. It's very young (6-7months old) It has white hair all over him. If interested please reply to this email or contact Gabriel at 646 XXX 8452. Thanks!

Limerick, PA
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pet/2672596758.html (pic, red)
    [EDIT: Ad removed, phone # edited]
    shiba inu for adoption (limerick, pa)
    Date: 2011-11-01, 8:21PM EDT
    Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

Adorable 8 1/2 year old spayed female shiba inu for adoption. Suki loves attention and playing with people. She would not do well with other pets or small children. She also loves running around in a fenced in backyard chasing critters. The only cost would be switching her AKC registration (I believe $15) and her microchip information (around $6). PLEASE CALL for further information, emails will not be responded to: 610-XXX-3109 Heather. Suki needs to find a new home ASAP.

Maple Grove, MN
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pet/2675118753.html (pic, cream, looks a little like a Shibamo)
    [Edit: phone # edited, ad expired]
    White Shiba inu wants good home (Maple Grove)
    Date: 2011-10-29, 11:58AM CDT
    Reply to: comm-bxpez-2675118753@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Shiba Inu still looking for good home. It seems like he can't get alone with other dog very well, so we wish he will be the only dog in your home. That's the reason he still looking for his new home.

2 years old ,white color, friendly and out-going. He likes to be with people, get along with kids and other dogs, and doesn't bark very often. Very good looking healthy boy, and loves going for a walk and run. We don't have enough time to give the love he deserves and we don't have back yard, so we hope to find a new home for him. We have all the paper work for him, we need to make sure he goes to a good home so we will only ask a small re-homing fee 100$.
    If you are interested, please text this number to contact with me: 612-XXX-6013.

Kirtland Air Force Base near Albuquerque, NM
    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pet/2678281553.html
    [edit: phone # edited, ad expired]
    Shiba Inu needs new home (KAFB)
    Date: 2011-10-31, 12:40PM MDT
    Reply to: comm-a9cbg-2678281553@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Ginger is a 4 yr old Shiba Inu, Full blooded with papers, She has never been bread as she is spayed, she is great with kids and toher animals, as long as they are around her size. She loves to go for runs and play ball, she is an indoor dog fuly house trained and very loyal, loves attention and companionship. I havae an 8 yr old, 13 yr old and two cats and she is fine witl all. I am active duty military and relocating soon. Would like 150 for her as I just want to know it is someone who really wants her, I want to giver her the best home price negotiable if I feel you are a good fit. :) uptodate on shots and chipped. Please call or text 505 XXX 1383 can text pictures if wnated.

Whitney Point/Binghamton, NY
    http://binghamton.craigslist.org/pet/2666767731.html (pic, red-headed B&T)
    8 month old Shiba Inu w/ papers (Whitney Point)
    Date: 2011-10-24, 4:45PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-me5vj-2666767731@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have an 8 month old Shiba Inu with papers. He was born Feb. 23 of this year. He's a really good dog, knows a couple of tricks, and is good with other pets and with kids. He is also pretty easily trainable and rides very well in a car. He is housebroken and even goes to the door when he has to go if you're with him. He does not like to be left alone. There is a 50 dollar re-homing fee.

Post edited by curlytails at 2012-01-20 18:53:25
  • JudyJudy
    I will send emails to the two NY ones. Suki, the one in Limerick PA is already courtesy listed on NYC shiba rescue's site. We've got two Suki's listed.
  • Suki caught my attention of course because she's the oldest in this group. =( I haven't checked the NYC Shiba Rescue listings recently though I've been diligently voting for you guys. ;)

I'll e-mail the Minnesota and NM ones about MSIR and the national courtesy listings.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-11-06 22:44:50
  • Stef777Stef777
    I found these on Craigslist ;(

****Shiba Inu free to new home (Brea)http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pet/2692256116.html

A 3-year old Shiba Inu, Yoshi, free to go to a new home with experience with the breed.
    Yoshi has severe allergies and we don't have the means to take care of her; the other option would be to place her in a shelter and hope for the best.
    She has been spayed, toilet-trained, micro-chipped, and vaccinated and we have the allergy test results.

**** Shiba Inu - looks like a fox (Rancho Santa Margarita)http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pet/2682161200.html

Beautiful three year old Shiba Inu needs a new home with a loving and caring family. Loves children and adults. Loves to run in dog parks and loves daily walks. Plays great with his own toys in the back yard. He is self entertained when left alone in back yard. Does not dig or chew on things except his own toys. He really enjoys getting his head and back rubbed. He is an absolute love to have around. All shots are up to date and he is chipped. Needs to be in a family who will commit to spend lots of time with him. Adoption fee.
    comm-uvrse-2682161200@craigslist.org

• HamletHamlet
    Oh man, that long haired red is adorable.
  • @Stef777, my heart is breaking for the one with allergies. I will e-mail her and try to find out more. [EDIT: e-mail sent, offered rescue suggestions as well so she hopefully doesn't feel like she has to take him to a shelter.]

And that long-hair, wow! I wonder if that one has a responsible breeder who is willing to take him back? Are long-hairs showing up among millers, or have they been? Hmm...
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-11-10 16:13:28

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)