For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas on Craigslist
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I hope this is appropriate to the forum.

Since we shiba owners know how uniquely challenging and charming this breed can be (har har), I thought it would be helpful to occasionally re-route Craigslist ads to this forum. I do this assuming that most people who post pet ads to Craigslist are private individuals and NOT rescues (though some rescues do post available dogs there - not my local shiba rescue though). So Craigslist ads don't necessarily duplicate listings from established rescues or Petfinder. And shiba listings on Craigslist are relatively rare, so I don't think this will clutter the board...

In cases where a shiba is listed as "free" or under $150 or so, I contact the person who listed the ad to suggest they surrender their dog to rescue. Rescue organizations will at least be able to give a full assessment of the dog's personality and screen potential adopters so that the dog has a lower chance of being rehomed in the future.

I also contact the person and ask if they have contacted their dog's breeder, reminding them that reputable breeders usually have it in their contract that the dog can and should be returned to them if at any point the current owner can no longer care for the dog. (This is news to most of the people I've contacted so far...)

I trust this forum more than I trust the general Craigslist patron to offer a shiba a good home. So if anyone amongst us connects with a Craigslist shiba, at least we know the adoption comes with a support network. =)

--

This one comes from the SFBay area (though I suspect it will quickly get flagged and removed, because it's appalling):

Black Shiba Inu male for rehoming (lafayette / orinda / moraga)
    Date: 2010-07-09, 9:03PM PDT
    Reply to: comm-fv3wq-1835045435@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Koda is a loving 4 year old male Shiba Inu who needs a new home. He is very smart, calm, yet also can be very playful! He is house trained, has all of his shots, and is in great health! We recently had another puppy, therefore we have no more room for him in our house hold!

Pictures: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/1835045435.html
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    That's sad. I hate people who only enjoy the puppy stages. I mean you have to be rather heartless to love on something and throw it away when you get bored or it stop being interesting. I hope there's doggie karma for these sick SOBs.
  • WTH is wrong with people. Can you just return babies once they get older?
  • What the Fudge!? That's just the stupidest thing ever! It's just sick.
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    pisses me off.. wish I was on the west coast as I'd grab him up in a minute.
  • ShibaMamaShibaMama
    "We recently had another puppy, therefore we have no more room for him in our house hold!"

Are they f'n kidding me????? Poor Koda is being kicked out because they chose to get another puppy???
    That makes me soooooooooo mad!!!!

There's a special place in h-ll for people like this.

Unreal!!
  • Poor dog! That's just so sad!!!
  • ericw2000ericw2000
    I'd take that dog in a heartbeat if I could get it to Chicago.

I've had a stressful week at work and with a family crisis, and the dogs seems to know and they don't get into things as much. Still, my shiba Rocky is a thief and takes things that don't belong to him. I looked at him and thought, if these dogs weren't so cute, they wouldn't stand a chance :) Instead of getting frustrated I end up laughing at his expression and antics, and he never seems to stop thinking.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I've never been bored with my dogs. Things definitely settle down over time, but I get a lot of pleasure out of just *looking* at them, every day.

I did e-mail the person briefly just to say (in hopefully a non-confrontational way, as that can be counterproductive) that I hoped they would consider working with the two dogs together. Since their other dog is a puppy, that would be prime time to get the new dog accustomed to the "old" dog, that the new dog's "smart, calm, playful" demeanor would help set a good model for the puppy, and that the joys of doubled canine affection are worth the little bit of work involved.

I also passed on Red Young's/Northern California shiba rescue's e-mail contact, though I don't think this qualifies as a "rescue" and surely he's busy enough as it is without having to deal with people who want to dump their pets for no good reason... but I just wanted to let them know there are resources available, as limited as they are.
  • jujeejujee
    :( ugh I'd drive to Northern CA to pick that boy up! Just I can't have another dog where I'm living right now. Poor thing. I don't know how anyone can just replace their dog just because they got another puppy!
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    Horrible. I was watching Animal Cops today and watching dogs who were left behind and abandoned and I was thinking, what if they were human babies???? To me puppies/dogs are the same as babies/children and I would never imagine giving up a child of mine like that.
  • misobentomisobento
    Here are two listed in the Chicagoland area. older puppies too.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/pet/1841934386.html

Date: 2010-07-13, 11:12PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-rrwnb-1841934386@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i have a 6 month old shiba inu extremely independent , needs lots of attention and love that we unfortunately cant give to him , he is a leash dog or must have a fenced in yard i would not recommend small children only mature children to handle him he is fixed , papers , up to date on all shots and going to be an excellent dog to those who have lots of time serious inquires only rehoming fee will apply

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pet/1838731128.html

Date: 2010-07-12, 11:28AM CDT
    Reply to: comm-rq7hr-1838731128@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a beautiful Shiba Inu who is only 9 months old. I love her to death, but I live with my parents, and our family dog is much older and this little rascal is always picking on her. Her name is Mocha. She is potty trained. She needs a nice loving family who has a BIG yard, and possibly no other dogs so she can be spoiled. She is a great puppy with a 3 year shot. There is an adoption fee. If you are interested or have any questions, feel free to email me.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Thanks for your posts, misobento.

The first one I posted in the SF Bay Area for "Koda" is now back, after having been flagged off. They reposted minus the information about wanting to make room for the new puppy:
    Date: 2010-07-23, 1:46PM PDT
    Reply to: comm-ytsgp-1859465772@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Koda is a beautiful, loyal, fun-loving, 4 year old all black male pure bred Shiba Inu. House trained, spayed, and has all of his shots, Koda will be a great new companion to your household. Preferably that he be an only pet, but he loves kids and is playful but not too hyper! Koda is 35 pounds and 19 in. from ground to back. Adoption fee is $200. Please email me for any more questions about Koda.

Ad here:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/1859465772.html (w/ pics)
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-07-23 20:59:12
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Atlanta area:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pet/1859285751.html (w/ pics)

Date: 2010-07-23, 3:24PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-ww3td-1859285751@craigslist.org

I need to find a really good home for my shiba inu. He's purebred with papers. Neutered. 5 years old (still young!), Tri-colored. He's got an amazing temperment, completely housebroken. Good with cats and other dogs, absolutely adores kids! Very quiet, never barks. The perfect apartment dog. Sort of small, doesn't weigh over 30 lbs. Comes with all his paperwork, collar, leash, toy, food/water dishes and bed. Rehoming fee of $100. Please contact me asap! Having to rehome him due to finances. Thank you!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Las Vegas area. I suspect this one will be flagged eventually because of the price (not exactly a "small rehoming fee" in line with Craigslist rules):

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pet/1859146765.html (pics)

FEMALE SHIBA INU (LAS VEGAS)
    Date: 2010-07-23, 11:21AM PDT
    Reply to: comm-hwkrn-1859146765@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I HAVE AN 9 WEEK OLD SHIBA INU THAT I CAN'T KEEP...............SHE IS A REAL DOLL .......................PURCHASED HER ONLY LAST WEEK BUT ILLNESS HAS FORCED US TO FIND A NEW HOME FOR HER. RE-HOMING FEE IS 675.00 SHE IS UP TO DATE ON ALL HER SHOTS AND IS AKC REGISTERED.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I may reconsider my statement that shiba ads on Craigslist are "rare"...

Manchester, New Hampshire:
    http://nh.craigslist.org/pet/1862882125.html
    [Edit: phone number, because ad has been deleted.]

Date: 2010-07-25, 7:10PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-kqdsx-1862882125@craigslist.org

Free Shiba Inu to Good Home.
    He is generally a very good dog, but is not good with very young children, cats or other dogs. His name is Todd. He is almost 4 years old and he loves attention. He is neutered and is up to date with shots. Todd has been bounced around a lot in his young years. From home to home. If you have children under 10 he is not the dog for you. He hates it when his tail is pulled or he is jumped on. He is also a very dominant dog, so he can only live at your home if he will be the ONLY dog at your home. Many years ago this dog breed was bred as a hunting dog, so when he sees a cat or small animal he thinks its fair game. this is why he doesn't like, and cannot be in a home that has cats.

All in all Todd would be better off in a quiet home with space to run and people who have the time to give him the love he so desperately needs.

Please feel free to call me, leave a message and I will be glad to bring Todd by your house to meet you guys.

XXX-XXX-5511

Hohenwald, near Nashville, TN:
    http://nashville.craigslist.org/pet/1858926676.html (picture)
    [EDIT: ad expired, phone number edited]
    Date: 2010-07-23, 11:48AM CDT
    Reply to: comm-kurj3-1858926676@craigslist.org

Satu is an AKC registered Cream female Shiba Inu that is looking for a family to love. She is already spayed and fully vetted. Current on everything including Heart Guard and Frontline. She is housebroken and does wonderful in the house. Satu has been through obedience classes and knows all basic commands and then some. She listens very well!! Satu loves to go for walks and play fetch. Satu's only flaw is she does not like other female dogs, she does ok with males but would probably do best being the only dog. Her rehoming fee is $75 to ensure she goes to a good home. If you would like to meet Satu send me an email or XXX-XXX-5150
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:19:14
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Mt. Prospect, Chicago area:
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pet/1863286562.html (pic)
    [EDIT: ad expired, edited e-mail]

Date: 2010-07-25, 11:50PM CDT
    Reply to: sonja******@yahoo.com

Moving soon and could not find a home that accepts pets.

My dogs name is Joker. He is a great dog, 2 years old, and approxiamtely 22 lbs. He will not get any bigger!

Joker is chipped, so new owner(s) would need to get his or her name added as the new owners. Joker is great with kids and other dogs and is free to a good home.

Please contact me with any questions.

I e-mailed and suggested they contact MSIR.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:18:26
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Hollywood, Florida:
    http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/pet/1869468534.html (pic)
    [EDIT: Ad expired]

Shiba Inu needs home / rehoming fee $150 (Hollywood)
    Date: 2010-07-29, 9:48AM EDT
    Reply to: comm-zq6qn-1869468534@craigslist.org

I have a pure bred male Shiba Inu. He was boarding with and his owner has abandoned him. He is a very quiet dog, hardly barks at all. He is about 3-4 years old and he is not nuetured. I cannot keep him because i have a 5 month old baby. Would like to see him go to a good loving home. I am asking for a rehoming fee of $150. If your interested my name is Esther and i can be reached at (XXX) XXX-3556
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:17:30
  • angnarusangnarus
    Curlytails, it's awesome that you do that to help dogs. Advertising on Craigslist is free and might be the only way people can find a new home for their dog, but from what I know animal ads are prohibited on Craigslist and anyone with an account can flag them as such. It sounds to me those people are more interested in the rehoming fee than finding a good home for their dogs, that's why they're not taking them to the humane society or rescue organizations. They probably paid at least that much for their dogs in the first place. Sad. If anyone else has other suggestions on ways to help like Curlytails, I would be willing to do what I can too.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    angnarus, I'm sure you're already aware of some of the "big" things you can do, like work with rescues, foster, etc. Yet, I think there are a number of smaller things we can do on a more day-to-day, individual level. When I'm out and about with my shiba I just to try and be mindful of a fair introduction to the breed for folks who ask questions, because you do attract attention. Your dog advertises itself. And people will inevitably express interest in wanting a shiba too. People ask me things like "Was your dog expensive?" or "Where can I get one?" I never answer those questions directly, but instead refer them to shiba rescue sites, the NSCA, or even this forum, and encourage them to do their research before even looking for a breeder.

I look at my repostings of these Craigslist listings as extra-organizational, a very small way to help shibas that slip through the rescue system for any number of reasons. I think you're right that people turn to Craigslist first because it's free. But that's exactly what makes the pets vulnerable, especially a difficult breed like shibas. Things get posted and purchased without much thought inbetween. Before we adopted our second dog, I checked Craigslist almost every day, and was appalled by the number of dogs I saw "accidentally" bred and rehomed for lame reasons and then, worst of all, appearing on the site again months later! Shibas are lucky because resources are out there for purebreds. Things happen and sometimes dogs DO need to be rehomed for legitimate reasons, but I hate to see pets bounced around from home to home because they were vulnerable in a system that lacked clear standards and terms of commitment (Craigslist).

A reasonable rehoming fee acts as a pre-screener, and is in line with Craigslist terms of use. A "small" fee is recommended since it screens out flakes who might try to resell a cheap dog for nefarious purposes (baiting, research, or breeding). And psychologically, people just tend to take care of what we pay for. If you have to hand over $100, it'll be enough to dissuade a large number of animal flippers or impulse buyers. I've known people to ask that the rehoming fee be made out to a favorite rescue or animal shelter, which helps shield the ad from those who would flag it for resembling a for sale ad.

So I don't think it's always about the rehoming fee. I write back to almost every ad I post here. If the rehoming fee is reasonably low, I suggest that they contact rescue, giving them the benefit of the doubt that they *are* more interested in finding the best home for their shiba than making any kind of money (but since rescues will not "buy" dogs, some people refuse for the simple matter that $100 or $200 will make a difference -- and that's a situation that's beyond my input altogether). At the very least, National Shiba Inu Rescue may post courtesy listings for the dog, and readers will see their information surrounded by resources and information and encouragement for the adopter to act responsibly.

Frankly, a lot of people don't realize that there are purebred rescues out there who *would* take an interest if the situation is appropriate. I've had people respond telling me they think giving their dog to "rescue" means sending their dog to the local shelter, where they might get put down.

If a young shiba, I ask if they have contacted the puppy's breeder and ask if they would consider taking the dog back, as many reputable breeders have it written into their adoption contract that if the puppy is to be rehomed, they need to be notified first. A few have responded that they hadn't tried, or that they hadn't even thought of that. It still surprises many people that a good breeder might actually prefer to rehome the shiba themselves because they care what happens to their dogs. Because these aren't the type of breeders you usually find on Craigslist...
  • Thanks Curlytails, for this, and it is really cool that you get in contact with people with suggestions for rescue, etc. It is really heartbreaking that so many people get Shibas and seem totally unprepared for them....There seem to be so many more people out there getting Shibas these days, and I really despair with how popular they are getting, because it so clear that so many people probably shouldn't have a dog at all, let alone a Shiba.

I think I'm a walking advertisment for why NOT to get a Shiba, because when people ask me, I always tell them about how my dogs nearly killed each other, and all the ensuing vet bills....I know it's not going to happen to everyone, but I figure it telling the truth might discourage some people who would not make good Shiba slaves....
  • SayaSaya
    I get tons of comments like I want to get one and shiba inu are so cute and small they'd be easy to take care of so I always give them the bad and the good of shiba owner ship and I tell them to join this forum and go to meet ups before making a decision.

People just don't realize how much work I put into Saya to get her to listen well and behave in public and socialization I did they just see the finish product and think all shiba inu are like that.. pretty sad.. =(
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Springfield/Marshfield, Missouri:
    http://springfield.craigslist.org/pet/1877743338.html (pic)
    Free Female Shiba Inu (Marshfield, MO)
    Date: 2010-08-02, 10:25PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-xc7vu-1877743338@craigslist.org

My wife rescued a female Shiba Inu. She was in really bad shape and pretty much skin and bones. She's been wormed, and is somewhat house-broken. I say somewhat, because she's had a few accidents in the house, but mainly knows when to go out the doggie door. She's very sweet, but needs a lot of one-on-one handling. We have two dogs and a cat as it is, and she just doesn't get the work she really needs. She's never nipped or seemed hostile, but my we feel she's well enough that it's time she find a good home.

Hohenwald, TN (near Nashville):
    http://nashville.craigslist.org/pet/1818886433.html (pic)
    [Followup: The person e-mailed me back when I suggested returning the dog to the breeder. This person IS the breeder.]

Shiba Inu (Hohenwald)
    Date: 2010-06-30, 10:15AM CDT
    Reply to: comm-kanjg-1818886433@craigslist.org

Satu is an AKC registered Cream female Shiba Inu. She is 16 months old. Satu is looking for her very own family in which she would be the only female dog as she is an Alpha female. She is great with adults, but has not been raised with children so I prefer a home with no kids. She was raised with cats, but wants to chase ones she doesn't know. She is great in the house as she is house broken and crate trained(although she loves to sleep in the bed). She is fully vetted, spayed, and current on everything including Frontline and Heartguard. She is very active and loves to play. There is a small re homing fee of $100(which is neg. to the right home) to make sure you are serious about her. Her original price was $1200. This breed is different than most breeds so you will want to do your research to make sure this is the breed for you. If you would like more info please email.

Greenville, TX (near Dallas):
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pet/1879493180.html (pic)

Male shiba inu (Greenville)
    Date: 2010-08-03, 8:28PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-j7ssr-1879493180@craigslist.org

I have a male black and tan shiba inu that has been outside and could use a good brushing, he i very sweet , good with kids the person i got him from said he was current on shot and had papers but no prof.needing to rehome there is a rehoming fee of $50

Poor guy doesn't even has his shiba tail up anymore...
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-08-21 22:04:48
  • SayaSaya
    Aww! Poor boy sad to see his tail down. =(
  • curlytailscurlytails
    SF Bay Area:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pet/1888359742.html (pics)
    [Edited to obscure phone number, ad expired]

Lovable Shiba Inu Needs New Home (los gatos)
    Date: 2010-08-08, 9:56PM PDT
    Reply to: comm-82rnw-1888359742@craigslist.org

Cory is an affectionate 7-year-old Shiba Inu who needs an experienced dog owner. He can be aggressive toward strangers, and it will take around two weeks for him to get used to his new owners. Although Cory can walk with a leash on, he does not socialize well with other animals as well as young children. He is a healthy dog and has received all his shots. He is also housetrained. Unfortunately, because I'm moving, I can no longer keep him. Though he has several behavioral issues, Cory is a very warm dog to his owners. I have tried surrendering him to the adoption center but they would not accept him and this is his last chance. Please call XXX-XXX-3334 if you're interested. Thank you.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-08-21 22:08:05
  • emmyemmy
    Marshfield, Missouri
    http://springfield.craigslist.org/pet/1877743338.html

My wife rescued a female Shiba Inu. She was in really bad shape and pretty much skin and bones. She's been wormed, and is somewhat house-broken. I say somewhat, because she's had a few accidents in the house, but mainly knows when to go out the doggie door. She's very sweet, but needs a lot of one-on-one handling. We have two dogs and a cat as it is, and she just doesn't get the work she really needs. She's never nipped or seemed hostile, but my we feel she's well enough that it's time she find a good home.
  • I just hate this. WTF is wrong with people that they say they're moving, and thus "can no longer keep" a 7 year old dog? One that they know has issues and will likely not find another home? So instead, just sentence an older dog to death?

Some people don't deserve to have dogs in the first place.Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
    From the House of the Fox Dogs blog
    Why it's Not About Dominance
    Bel's thread: the story of a puppy mill Shiba's life
  • I'm with you shibamistress, dogs are not like a piece of Ikea furniture that you can discard whenever it's time to move.
  • JudyJudy
    Rescue is getting bombarded with requests too. We've had quite a few request to rehome 10 and 12 yrs old, one with a bad leg so that it can't take walks.
  • We were at a show and met a woman who used to seriously breed a long time ago (a bunch of her dogs are pictured in one of the shiba inu books) when her health was better. She had just adopted a sweet, sociable thirteen year old, wonderfully behaved, because no owners were moving and renting instead of owning. They were going to put him down though he had no health issues, just because they weren't going to take him and he was older. She adopted him so he wouldn't be euthanized. I think Jessica has said it before: lots of lovely, healthy dogs are put down all the time because no one wants to take them and there isn't enough room at most places.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Yes, it's very frustrating... I haven't gone back to check out Craigslist for a while. When I do, no doubt there will be more to post.

Judy, may I ask if you are talking about shiba-specific rescue? And if so, what region you're in?

I want to see ultimate responsibility fall back on the breeder, and not rescues (though I know these categories aren't mutually exclusive). I do believe we need good breeders who will continue to breed better and healthier shiba, but so many aren't being held responsible for their dogs that end up in rescue for one reason or another. I know some rescues make it a policy to call the breeder, when known, and ask them to reclaim their dog. But often this can't be traced. And sometimes it is the case that dogs are rehomed without breeder knowledge because they don't know to notify breeders first, or they think the terms of return "no longer apply" (i.e., it's past the deadline for some "health guarantee") or they're embarrassed or whatever. I trust that good breeder WILL step in and take care of the situation for the love of their dogs! And if a breeder just happened to see a dog from their own line being rehomed anywhere online without their knowledge, they should be appalled and want to step in.

Now if the breeder refuses to take back its dogs in rescue, and enough of a reputation develops, breed clubs are notified and public opinion is rallied. Kimbertal Dobermans and the German Shepherds of the Monks of New Skeet would be examples of that kind of action in place... It's Internet vigilante justice in a way, but when you see all these dogs with nowhere else to go, yeah, sometimes my feelings on the "justice" of these matters do kind of start to overflow.
  • JudyJudy
    I live in PA and courtesy list shibas and jindos on the Mid Atlantic Shiba Rescue site. I'm also on the national shiba rescue list, so get emails about shibas from all over. In my post above I was referring to shibas.
  • emmyemmy
    I sometimes think about getting another one, but I have decided to wait about a year or so to make an additional commitment. They are addictive and there are so many adorable rescues out there!
  • The problem is that most breeders whose dogs get put in rescue are backyard breeders. It isn't always true as some owners are irresponsible enough not to try that route (or for that matter a shelter route, a member here has a brother who breeds who was horrified to find that some owner abandoned their aged shiba who was just running loose. I think his name was the secondary one on the microchip which is how he found out).

As far as I know most ethical breeders have a contract clause that should the dog ever need to be given up, that they must be contacted first and given first right of refusal. Our breeder in fact checks up on us to see how Violet is doing, if he hasn't heard from us in a while.

The issue is more about large scale, unethical operations, and uninformed owners who take in dogs that they are unprepared to handle. When they get their dogs from a pet shop or backyard breeder , they are more likely to have trouble dealing with puppies that have a higher possibility of behavior issues (witness the two littermates here given up to the Midwest shiba rescue). The solutions really lie in legislation and information. As it is now, rescues are hit with the bulk of the burden and ethical breeders are lumped in with those who breed for profit.
  • JudyJudy
    In doing rescue, I've had some people who seem to forget that they have a contract with their breeder. I always ask where they purchased the shiba and if it's from an ethical breeder, I tell them to contact them and then I also contact the breeder. I just worked with one breeder who gave me permission to work with the owner on finding a new home. If one wasn't found in a given time period, the shiba would then be returned.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Southern NH:
    http://nh.craigslist.org/pet/1910432467.html (pic)

Pure Bred Shiba Inu
    Date: 2010-08-20, 9:52PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-9w3cj-1910432467@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Pure bred Shiba Inu named Mya. D/O/B 03/27/09. She is up to date on all shots and is also spayed. She also has a micro chip. She does very well with kids. She is very active. She needs training . She is very loveable and loves to play. She needs a good home that has plenty of room to run and play. Rehoming fee negotiable for the right family . She also comes with papers.

Charlotte, NC
    http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pet/1907290903.html
    Red Sesame Shiba Inu (Charlotte, NC)
    Date: 2010-08-19, 10:50AM EDT
    Reply to: comm-mhsgj-1907290903@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a 9 year old Male Shiba Inu I am looking to give away to a good home. He is a wonderful dog but not good with other dogs. He is not bad with kids but would prefer to not be around them.
    He is just not getting enough love from us since having our daughter and we feel guilty.

Anchorage, Alaska (!)
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/pet/1908067361.html (pic)
    Does a "runner" mean he's a sled dog runner? Or just that he's a bolter, like many shiba?

Shiba (Anchorage)
    Date: 2010-08-19, 1:01PM AKDT
    Reply to: comm-vsmjy-1908067361@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I was away the last time this was listed, 5 year old male, not fixed, akc reg, beautiful boy, gets along with all, very shy and shedding right now. Shiba Inu----He is a runner 225.00 please call 240-1360

McKinney, Texas (near Dallas)
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pet/1900443123.html
    [Ad deleted, e-mail and phone number edited]

FREE SHIBA INU (MCKINNEY, TX)
    Date: 2010-08-15, 4:08PM CDT
    Reply to: ********tanya@**********.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

Free Shiba Inu to good family. My name is Hunter and I am 1yrs. old. I have all my shots, however, I am not neutered. I am red and white and look like a fox. I am friendly and I get along with children and other animals. I don't have any pictures that I can put on the web. My owner can send you some from her camera phone. If you are interested please call my owner at XXX-XXX-9943.

Dallas, TX again
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pet/1890700165.html (pic)

I e-mailed to ask if this pair was spayed/neutered, as I fear that they may end up vulnerable to BYB if they are not. I also passed along info for Texas shiba rescue.
    Shiba Inu - Daddy & Mommy need a good home! (North DFW)
    Date: 2010-08-10, 8:57AM CDT
    Reply to: comm-azdwm-1890700165@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Kopper and Jasmine together for 2 years now need a home together. They are both super sweet, and beautiful Shibas. Kopper is a red, and Jasmine is a black & tan. We blended our families last year, and they have become outside dogs even having to stay in their crates as we have had to get our new house built, fences added, etc. They need more attention than we can give anymore. They are great with kids!! Would like a re-homing fee of $400 for both of them together as we paid over $2000, but if you are interested and can offer a good home, please let me know. Finding them a good home is most important to us.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:16:02
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Hagerstown, Maryland:
    http://westmd.craigslist.org/pet/1895898987.html
    (Sorry, this one's a bit old already, not sure if she's still available)
    Shiba inu *special needs* (Hagerstown, MD)
    Date: 2010-08-12, 10:15PM EDT
    Reply to: pawmichelle@aol.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

7 year old shiba inu needs a home urgently. She has alopecia due to food allergy. Requires special diet to regain hair. I am unable to keep her in my home due to her excessive shedding, she is the primary source of my son's asthma attacks.....this confirmed by skin testing.

She has been to a dermatologist and her condition will improve after a few months on a strict diet of venison and potato. It is a non-prescription food and fairly inexpensive if fed properly. She is a great dog but unfortunately, I am unable to wait months for her to recover while my son suffers the consequences.

There will be a very reasonable rehoming fee just to ensure good faith.

*serious inquiries only please,
    Thank you so very much

Orlando, Florida
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/pet/1917756607.html (pic -- cream)
    [EDIT: Phone # removed, ad deleted by author]

shiba inu (orlando)
    Date: 2010-08-25, 12:01AM EDT
    Reply to: comm-wmrzw-1917756607@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I'm forced to give my shiba up for adoption. She's 4 and a bundle of energy that is best suitted for a home without other pets (yes she is a princess). There is a small adoption fee of $100 but my biggest concern is finding a good home for her. My number is XXX-XXX-1291.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-08-29 06:32:22
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Beaver County, PA (near Pittsburgh)
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pet/1921084703.html (pic, cream)
    [EDIT 9/14: Adopted]

3yr Old Shiba Inu (Beaver County)
    Date: 2010-08-26, 6:47PM EDT
    Reply to: comm-k52de-1921084703@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

With a very heavy heart I have to find a new home for my 3yr old White shiba inu. I have another shiba inu who is approaching 18 yrs old and my 3yr old likes to play too much and knocks him down. He has snapped at my nephew of 2 years old. Never once bitten myself or any adult. He is good with other dogs and although he likes to chase my cat he has never hurt her once she stops running he looses intrest. He is house broken and likes to be outside. As cute as he is he must go to someone with experience with this breed. Shiba Inus are not like other dogs they come when they want and are very well known door bolters. He is nuetered and updated on rabies. Serious inquires only. XXX-XXX-5358 Please leave a message.

Here's a major WTF from Augusta, WV
    Sorry for the snark, but what is wrong with people?!?!
    http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/bar/1912393716.html (pic of a cream and a "traditional" pinto)
    Shiba Inu puppies (Augusta, WV)
    Date: 2010-08-22, 7:16AM EDT
    Reply to: sale-cfucd-1912393716@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hello to all I would like to barter for a few things what I have is Puppies 1 male and 1 female left!!!! to be Exact they are Shiba Inu a Japanese breed of dog they look like mini huskies or most people say mine look like a fox lol. The breed is a very good breed they don't bark the wooooo. I am one of the few breeders of this type of breed and I thought there are a few things I would really like to get, and I know there are alot of people who would love one of these puppies but can not afford the price (we sale them for $800- $2500 a puppy) so my wife and I decided to try the barter thing to see how it would work. Here is how it works You have something of value and we see what kind of deal we can make. When you respond to my listing please IN THE HEADING I MUST SEE “ SHIBA BARTER” IN THE HEADING OR YOUR EMAIL WILL BE DELETED this is due to so many spammers and scammers this is a list of what I’m looking for but I’m up to trading for much of any thing as long as the value is in comparison Example: my puppies $800- $2500 your Mickey mouse watch from Disney world or Wal-Mart $20 not a good trade. So lets be reasonable it does not have to be of the exact value just needs to be close, by close I mean within a $100 or so. So here is my list of items I am looking for;

1.Car like a mini van it needs to be able to carry 7 people. (also it must run)
    2. Hunting guns with or without scope
    3. Leupold VX-3 CDS with the TWO Custom dials
    4. Hunting Items
    5. Ipods, Ipads
    6. Computer must be no older than a year
    7. Laptop
    8. Truck
    I’m up for just about anything so if you have something you think might be a good trade email me but REMEMBER IN THE HEADING PUT “ SHIBA BARTER”
    the female is the cream and the male is the traditional color.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:14:33
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Marshfield, MO (outside of Springfield)
    http://springfield.craigslist.org/pet/1912278122.html (pic of a black and tan)
    I contacted them and suggested MSIR. This gal doesn't look in such god shape...

Free Shiba Inu (Marshfield, MO)
    Date: 2010-08-22, 12:00AM CDT
    Reply to: comm-tyfgr-1912278122@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

My mom is losing her house, and she needs to find a home for her adult female Shiba. She's a really lovable dog. She's lived outside her whole life, but I think my mom's had her inside during the winter. She just needs a good home with a loving family!
  • jujeejujee
    big huge WTF at the barter one. Ugh, that is disgusting!
  • emmyemmy
    What is the "traditional color" supposed to mean?
  • emmyemmy
    There are assorted purebred and designer mutt pups available from a local rescue here. Says in the ad that they were surrendered by a breeder who needed to make room for new puppies and didn't have buyers yet for these. I guess it's good that the demand didn't meet the supply so maybe the breeder will settle down with the breeding. But, seriously....these got too old to sell (at like 10 weeks) and so they just gave them away and moved on with the business. Ridiculous.
  • The one about having to give up the three year old Shiba to protect the 18 year old (18 years old!) was really sad. That's the only one I"ve seen so far that looked like a legitimate reason (to me) for trying to rehome a dog....though rescue, would, of course, be a better choice than Craig'slist.....

I was in a similar place a few years ago, trying to rehome my female Shiba since the fights between my two had turned nearly lethal....I put her up on rescue for awhile, but I rejected everyone who was interested in her (none were even remotely possible) and I'm so happy to say that I still have her and she's just in heaven with the new puppy, and I still have my male too, even if he does have to be isolated from the other dogs.Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
    From the House of the Fox Dogs blog
    Why it's Not About Dominance
    Bel's thread: the story of a puppy mill Shiba's life
  • SayaSaya
    The barter one is nuts!

I feel sorry for all these dogs especially the ones giving up their older dogs. looks like the one with the B&T removed the ad..
  • Emmy, that's terrible. It's precisely because of situations like that (breeder dumping unprofitable puppies) that the argument about "If I don't buy this puppy from this terrible breeder, it'll meet a terrible fate!" don't hold. We know breeders will dump their litters when they get "too old," and that's why rescues DO sometimes get puppies. I think many shelters also hold out greater hope for puppies, or try to find rescues to take them, because they know they're much more adoptable -- even if they can't be sold at the hundreds of dollars that the original breeder wanted. Some will still inevitably be put to sleep... Nevertheless, I'm more optimistic about the 14-week-old puppies that are adopted out through a rescue organization than the 8-week-old puppies that are sold to the first person with cash on hand.

I wonder how many of the dogs listed above came from the latter situation.

The outdoor black and tan in Marshfield never responded to my e-mail. I noticed the ad was deleted, too... I don't know if that means the lister had a change of heart, or the dog has been passed on.

In the above ads, I edit out phone numbers and personal e-mails if the ad expires. If it's a Craigslist-generated garbledygook e-mail, that will expire when the ad does, so I don't bother with those. But I keep the ad and descriptions intact in the weird, crazy, possible off-chance that some future owner orbreeder comes here and recognizes their dog...
  • curlytails- I responded to an ad in craigslist locally and got a wonderful female shiba that was being given up by a very nice family as the kids had developed allergies. They had rescued her from a kill shelter in Miami 8 months earlier. Just wanted to let you know there are still some "good" people out there trying to do the right thing. The family had actually tried to find and contact a breeder but there are no "real" breeders in Florida. When I originally called I had asked about a rehoming fee and he had only asked that the person donate to the local shelter and give her a good home. She has in the 5 days weve had her become a wonderful member of our family.
  • Velvetkat, I'm so glad you got a good dog from a good family. And your new sheeb is very lucky to be going to a shiba-savvy home, too.

I don't think all folks who try to rehome their dogs on Craigslist are evil (I hope I made that clear in all the above verbosity). Our Bowpi came from Craigslist, and I don't think the woman who gave her up was "bad." But I do think that dogs on Craigslist are vulnerable to falling in the "wrong" hands. I am biased for thinking that our forum members would give a shiba a better home than the average Craigslist reader, and that's why I repost here. All the better if the Craigslist reader also happens to be a forum member. ;)
  • I agree with Curlytails--while you can get a great dog from Craigslist, why would anyone who was serious about dogs try to place a dog this way? and the issue of breeders in Florida doesn't quite make sense..the point is, that if people can't keep the dog, they should go back to the place they got the dog, and an ethical breeder would prefer to take that dog back than have it up on Craigslist where it might fall into the wrong hands. If they can't keep the dog, they should try to rehome it through a rescue group.
  • ohh I never meant to say that all on Craigs list were evil I was just letting you know curlytails that I had gotten the dog from someone that was legitimately trying to rehome their dog. The dog came from a kill shelter and he wasnt going to take her back there. The comment about the breeders in Florida is just that there are NO breeders in Florida. When I first started looking for a Shiba I wanted to contact breeders. The only thing I found were a couple of BYB. If there are breeders they have done a good job of not making themselves known. Sorry to offend.
  • Craigslist is hardly an ideal way to place a dog but I'm sure some people don't have much choice, especially if their circumstances dictate that they must place the dog in a hurry. Granted, some of the Craigslist listings are deplorable, but it's certainly obvious then that the Shiba is in need. There are many legitimate reasons why someone would need to rehome a pet, too. It could be illness or having to move to an apartment where pets aren't allowed. Unfortunately, no kill shelters have limited capacity and can't necessarily take in every dog in need. The same is true with rescue organizations, whether they are breed oriented or general animal rescues. Often, the number of animals far exceeds the number of available foster homes. Sometimes, the rescues can only focus on saving animals in kill shelters.

Curlytails, I think it's great that you post the Craigslist Shibas here. Perhaps some will find homes through forum members. If nothing else, it serves as a reminder of how many Shibas are out there in need. Maybe someone will be inspired to choose adoption rather than purchasing from a pet store / puppy mill.
  • emmyemmy
    I think that the black and tan shiba from Marshfield might be at the Humane Society in Springfield now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)