For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Coat Blowing?
  • Nopi-SanNopi-San
    Nopi just turned 1! (: Is there a specific age or time of year that shibas start "blowing" their coat? He's shedding an awful lot even after I deFURminated him a couple times. I know I'm not supposed to use the furminator too often, so I'm thinking he's getting to that point of super shedding..?
  • SayaSaya
    Saya shed alow during winter and spring she is just getting done with her spring blowing.

This is my first year with Saya so I'm not sure how next blow will be as she grows.

Have you given a bath? A nice bath might help loosen the under coat some.. I'm still new to shiba grooming care, but good luck I went through Saya's blow without a furminator just a brush and a zoom groom next blow I'm getting a furminator though to try.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • kuhligkuhlig
    Bella just shed her puppy coat >_<

I used a natural bristled brush and bathed her about once a week during this period.
    Don't furminate too often or you can damage their coat. I'm under the belief that what's supposed to come out will on its own.

When she comes in from the outside, I will run my hands through her hair, against the grain, and a lot of hair comes out this way, without her looking all patchy.
    Post edited by kuhlig at 2010-06-28 13:37:46
  • angnarusangnarus
    We either brush our pup or furminate her once a week and her coat seems softer afterward. She's 8 months old and went through a mild blow in May or June, but she's still shedding pretty good. I know they blow their coat mostly in spring. If you bathe your dog, using a soft bristled brush when he's still wet (after towel drying) will help reduce the shedding (or so I've read). Since this discussion was started in June and it's not August, I'd love to hear if any of these Shibas are still shedding a lot. Our's seems to be shedding a little less.
  • I have been told rather emphatically that dogs should never be brushed with anything when they are wet.

Moss coated shibas shed year round. Our shiba Moto never would completely blow his coat. He would just shed perpetually instead.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)