For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
ALERT: Dog Food Recalls (Last Update 2/21/15 - Nutrisca)
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    I just thought I would pass this on from the SIRA Shiba Rescue site:

6/21/10
    Recall Alert
    Natural Balance Issues Recall On
    Sweet Potato & Chicken Dry Dog Food

Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc., of Pacoima, CA, announced a voluntary recall of Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Chicken Dry Dog Food in 5-lb. and 28-lb. bags with the “Best By” date of June 17, 2011, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.

No illnesses have been reported to date. The recall notification is being issued out of an abundance of caution based on an isolated instance in which a product sample with a “Best By” date of June 17, 2011, had a positive result for Salmonella in a random sample test conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

This product was distributed on the West Coast, and no Pet Supplies “Plus stores should have received or sold this product. Pet Supplies “Plus” is issuing this recall notification as a public service to our customers, as part of our commitment to alert pet owners to any potential hazard to their pets, regardless of the source. In keeping with this commitment, Pet Supplies Plus” will issue a full refund to customers who return the recalled product to any of our stores.

If you have any affected Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Chicken Dry Dog Food, please stop feeding it to your pet immediately and return it to Pet Supplies "Plus" for a complete refund.

Please note that this recall does not affect any other Natural Balance product. The only recalled products are the dry dog food items listed below.

Product
    Bag Size
    Bag UPC Code
    Best By Dates

Sweet Potato & Chicken Dry Dog Formula
    5 lb
    7-23633-99000-4
    June 17, 2011

Sweet Potato & Chicken Dry Dog Formula
    28 lb
    7-23633-99002-8
    June 17, 2011

Consumers with any questions can contact Natural Balance at (800) 829-4493, or info@naturalbalanceinc.com.

[Mod Edit: Changed Title to reflect most recent recall]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-02-23 07:26:40
  • MayamaMayama
    Just FYI, Diamond Dog Food is recalling some of their products. For more information, please see:
    http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/

Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • shibamacishibamaci
    Also, I believe it was on the ASPCA's facebook that any dog treats from China containing sweet potatoes are on recall and causing kidney failure... Let me see if I can find the link.
  • shibamacishibamaci
    http://www.littlebigcat.com/blog/sweet-potato-treats-from-china-causing-kidney-failure/

Not the specific link I was looking for, but same general idea.
  • SayaSaya
    Darn these recalls! Luckily Saya is on raw so she's safe.

Bella is on wellness core ocean.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • KitsuKitsu
    @saya hopefully they don't recall all raw meat rofl
  • LosechLosech
    That's rather unfortunate. I checked my bag of Taste of the Wild and it's not manufactured at the SD plant, but people here do get it from there. Taste of the Wild is not on the official recall list but to be on the safe side, I'm probably going to switch brands once this bag is done.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    TotW is now on the official recall: http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-expands-voluntary-recall/

I don have some but it's not the effected batch. We don't feed kibble at all, but I do have a bag for treats and from when Bel was injured, since her mouth was so messed up she couldn't eat anything with bones.

• konpeitokonpeito
    Thanks for posting this thread. I just got an email from Wag.com today (where I ordered my TotW bag from) about the recall. I couldn't read my production code, so I called them and they confirmed my bag was part of the recall and refunded us the money. I'm just thankful Apollo hasn't had any problems since we started feeding it to him about a month or so ago. Still going to throw it out of course.

I still want to feed Apollo TotW. They told me Wag.com was expecting a new batch by Monday, so hopefully it'll be okay. Would it still be unsafe to feed him TotW? Or should I really just look to switching? A lot of my second choices for kibble are actually on the recall list, which is troubling.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
    Post edited by konpeito at 2012-05-05 20:42:12
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    Yeah, it's kind of depressing how many of the good brands are on there. Makes it hard to figure out what to feed, at least right now.
    Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2012-05-05 21:13:27
  • SayaSaya
    @Kitsu lol yeah raw meat can get recalled at tmes cargill turkey recalled their ground turkey brands last year they provided turkey for lot people..

Local farmer I got chicken feet and necks from said their turkey sales wen up due to it which is good since she is a local and good farmer all animals are free ranged..

I do buy some stuff from grocery store, but I try to get most my stuff from butcher, farmer's market and local farmer's.

Today at farmer's markget I got two packs of ox tails and they had no kidneys next time they should have beef and lamb kidneys.

Wellness has issued a voluntary recall due to one formula being made in the plant..
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-05-05 21:02:08
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    That's pretty depressing about the TOTW recall. I have JUST transitioned Dakota from TOTW puppy food to the adult Salmon food. Now what do I do? I doubt if I'll be able to find "good" TOTW anywhere on the shelf now -- they have probably pulled everything. I guess I need to start feeding her a new grain-free food -- but don't even have any of her "old" food (which I cannot now use) to make the transition. Any suggestions on a good grain free dry adult kibble? And, I guess I'd have to feed it to her cold turkey as I now have nothing to "mix" it with for a "transition" to a new brand. Thanks!
    Orijen and Acana have grain free formulas and have not been affected by the recall.
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    Yes, so does Blue Buffalo, but when she at that before (not the grain-free) it gave her a lot of gas. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • catloreecatloree
    Fromm has four grain-free foods in their Four-Star Nutritionals line: http://frommfamily.com/products/four-star/dog.

Fromm has been around since 1904 & has never been involved in a recall. That's why I decided to go with their products a few years back. Sadie & Elwood love all four grain-free foods & we alternate flavors between bags. Elwood's favorite is the Beef Frittata & Sadie really enjoys the Salmon Tunalini.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
    Post edited by catloree at 2012-05-07 09:16:26
  • CaliaCalia
    Looks like they've added another brand to the list: http://www.honestdog.com/2012/05/07/pet-food-recall-and-then-there-were-13/
  • konpeitokonpeito
    @DianaBoston I think new batches of TotW are out on the shelves now or will be very soon. I went to a small, local pet supply store for a new bag and they had some that were made after the recalled batch. If you don't feel like it's risky, you should try to check out stores in your area. Wag.com is also getting new batches in this weekend.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    i'll echo what @catloree suggested and recommend fromm.
  • Hir0Hir0
    this makes me really glad I started to feed raw and that california is not apart of the recall states *fingers crossed*
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    What I ended up doing was going to a pet store and getting a 5-lb bag of the TOTW puppy food again that was not involved in the recall... I had almost had her transitioned to the adult TOTW from the puppy TOTW, but ended up putting the whole 15 lbs. of adult food down the garbage disposal. I'd like to start her on the adult food again. Wag.com told me they had no idea when they'd be shipping TOTW again, but I'll check with them. Or, might just start a new transition to Fromm grain-free. Although I like a food that you can get in a local pet store. Doesn't seem like our's carry Fromm.
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    I use Great Life, grain free in both the buffalo and salmon flavors.
    Photobucket
  • tkfushtkfush
    @dianaboston Did you look up on the Fromm website http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa I believe Fromm is only available in smaller store (not larger chain stores or grocery stores etc). If a store carries Fromm but not the type of food you need, my experience is usually the store will order it for you (but of course you will need to wait for the food to come in!)

My dog has done great on Fromm and if you 'like' them on Facebook they sometimes give out really great coupons like free treats, free bags of food etc.
  • lucylulucylu
    Fromm is a great company and its made less than 20 minutes from my house. If lucy wasnt doing so well on acana/raw id go with fromm
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    I LOVE coupons. Thanks for the tip. There are stores around that carry it (info from their web site) but none are very close to me at all.
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    Some of their 5 lbs bags come with a coupon that if you buy a 12 lbs bag you get the 5 lbs one free. That's like 14 dollars :D
  • lucylulucylu
    Im sure if u email fromm saying your looking to switch theyll give you a free bag. I told a rep i was happy with acana and he still gave me a free 5lb bag of surf and turf.
  • my dogs have been eating Nutri Source Lamb for a long time. Cuddles just puked some whitish watery vomit earlier today. Her stools are fine and Bowser has been fine. I'm thinking maybe she just ate some grass or something.
    My vet says that throwing up bile like that can be caused by an empty stomach. She said giving a snack can help.
  • SayaSaya
    eating grass can cause it and empty stomach giving a snack or some treats can help.
    Photobucket
  • Old thread, but may as well use it to update on kibble recalls...

From Dog Food Advisor:

Breeder’s Choice Pet Food of Irwindale, CA has announced a voluntary dog food recall involving one of its products due to possible contamination with Salmonella bacteria.

The UPDATED list as of 9/14 now includes:

- AvoDerm
    - Pinnacle
    - Active Care
    - Advanced Pet Diets

The recall affects products distributed in the following U.S. states:

- California
    - Georgia
    - Illinois
    - Nevada
    - Virginia
    - Washington

Bah. We had just come across Pinnacle over the summer as a pretty decent brand that we were considering adding to the kibble rotation, too. Good thing we didn't have any on hand at the time.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Just switched out to this 5mo ago
  • @kumaDUDE, heard good things about that one, but don't see it in the retail stores I frequent (I purchase most things in person if I can). we have a pretty good mix going now with Fromm, Acana, Great Life, and I'd still get TotW even after the last widespread recall, because nothing else matches its price point for quality. They get raw and Honest Kitchen and homemade stuff for dinner too.

It's just a reminder though that even with "5 star" food, you HAVE to pay attention to recall news, esp. If you're not prepping it yourself...
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Yea, agreed, I have been getting emails about recalls. Funny thing is I thought tho thread was about food recall as in "come" and they get a treat for coming hahaha
  • SayaSaya
    Thanks for posting this here.

Bella been in a rotation of wellness core ocean and from pork and the game bird one..

I might try different brand soon or do fromm beef then try another brand.

Bella been doing good so far with the transition on each rotation.

Mom saw at bad dog frida they had sign saying rotating kibble is good so she's bit more opened now.

Bella also gets chicken quarters, boneless goose, liver, thymus or kidney and bone in dove as meals for dinner once in a while two or four times a week..

She enjoys it. I'm getting low on quarters so might need get another back this week.

I always keep check on recalls just in case.
    Photobucket
  • http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/23/fda-nearly-1000-pets-sickened-by-china-made-dog-treats/

Article about an issue with some dog treats produced in China. Not a recall yet but anyone using products mentioned in here may want to reconsider.
    Post edited by RyuDragon at 2012-09-26 18:32:39
  • curlytailscurlytails
    RECALL Alert -- I think several Forum members may feed Wellness?

From Dog Food Advisor:
    October 30, 2012 – WellPet LLC of Tewksbury, MA has announced the withdrawal of a limited number of one of its dry kibble products due to possible moisture contamination.

This action affects Wellness Small Breed Adult Health Dry Dog Food in the 12 lbs package and bearing a “Best By” date of August 18, 2013.

No other dates, bag sizes or recipes are affected.

Click above link for more information, or go here:
    https://www.facebook.com/wellnesspetfood/posts/10151091815177181
  • tatonkatatonka
    For some reason I thought this was a thread about how to perfect your Shiba's recall using food :P
    Monkey!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    It's a much more popular subject on this forum, isn't it, @tatonka? Heh.

I took the liberty of editing the title to reflect the true nature of the thread. It's pretty important stuff to pay attention to, and it's good to have as many recalls collected in one thread as we can so we can see if there are any "repeat offenders."

We probably won't be able to cover them all, but if other mods/admin can edit the "last updated" thread when a new one comes up, that'll be helpful.
  • BootzBootz
    At this rate we will be making a thread of what foods HAVE NOT been recalled before x_x
  • jimjim
    Is there a website that lists recalls with details and upc codes etc? Not just individual company websites, but a single website dedicated to providing information on all pet food.
    If not, I wish there were.
  • jimjim
    So I just looked and there are websites with lots of information about recalls. BUT, the one website that looked like it would be exactly what I wanted, had a Mcafee warning that it wasn't safe. That was "thetruthaboutpetfood.com"
  • jimjim
    HOLY COW my Niki is even smarter than I thought...
    So, I was just reading about the Diamond recalls that include Taste of the Wild, which is what Niki seems to like most consistently.
    Since TotW was part of the recall, I checked each bag of food. I buy 5lb bags of different mixtures because Niki seems to get bored with the same thing after a few days.
    I checked the Bison and it's fine, then I checked the Duck and it's fine but the Salmon, WHICH NIKI WOULD BARELY EAT, was on the list with the 2X in the code.
  • @jim, Make sure to check the dates on some of these postings too. The Diamond recall was a while ago, and affected bags should all have been cleared from the shelves. BUT if you have old bags of food sitting around, it's good to check the archives!

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/ is on the ball and really fast about recall alerts, especially over Facebook. I like Dog Food Advisor too, especially their e-mail alert system:
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall-alerts/

... And with that, there's been another recall on Charlee Bear Dog Treats:
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/charlee-bear-dog-treats-recall/
    November 1, 2012 – Charlee Bear Products is voluntarily recalling certain lots of its Protein Crunch Bar products because they may be contaminated with Salmonella.

Charlee Bear Protein Crunch Bars Chicken Recipe with Carrots sold in 5.5 oz packages with UPC Code 8710890000

Lot number 19812; Best by date: 07-16-2015
    Lot number 19912; Best by date: 07-17-2015
    Lot number 20012; Best by date: 07-18-2015
    Lot number 20212; Best by date: 07-20-2015

Charlee Bear Protein Crunch Bars Chicken Recipe with Sweet Potatoes sold in 5.5 oz packages with UPC Code 8710890001

Lot number 20112; Best by date: 07-19-2015

Click link above for more information.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-11-04 13:02:30
  • That sucks! I do feed my dogs Charlie Bear treats (but not this type). For some reason, Oskar loves the little liver flavored crackers (they look like oyster crackers). Well, we don't have the recalled kind, but it makes me a little leery of the brand overall.
  • XabiXabi
    I'm just going to put my two cents in as someone who works in the food manufacturing industry. I think just because a product gets recalled doesn't mean that you should abandon your brand if you have loyalty to it.

I think @curlytails has the best advice to watch for repeat offenders, since it really is a complicated process which goes into making the products we purchase. I think the nature of the reason is also particularly informative. If you are concerned about the food you're purchasing, you may contact your brand headquarters and inquire about the products you purchase. It's possible they may come from varied manufacturing locations with different practices, ingredient vendors, etc.

Just because a product gets recalled, doesn't necessarily mean in every case that there has been a known health risk associated. If a company is notified about an ingredient they purchase as part of a recall, then any of those lot codes used in product is recalled too. They may not have any indication of illness or lapse of food safety.

If you are concerned (and maybe this would be a good sticky to have available upon the desires of the moderators) the fda has a site which lists recalls of pet food. Only product recalls which the FDA is notified about will be on it though.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls/

I would also mimic the words of @RyuDragon that you should reconsider feeding your dog anything from China or Asia since they don't have the same degree of food safety standards which we have in the North/South America, and Europe.
    X & I signature smaller
  • Thanks @Xabi -- that's good info to maintain some balance here. I also like your point about communicating with product headquarters. Many times, the responsiveness and relative transparency of company HQ in providing information tells me more about the company than the recall list in and of itself. I do think there's a difference between proactive, voluntary recalls and the rest, too. I would rather a company be willing to pull a whole lot because of a possible issue than to be mum about it until the FDA says they have to do something.

I also agree with your point about not buying Chinese-made pet products, but I am not convinced that we have to paint all of Asia with the same brush. I can't think of any Japanese or Taiwanese or other Asian pet food manufacturers that are regularly stocked on North American shelves, except Weruva wet foods, which are manufactured in Thailand. And which I, personally, feel okay about buying for my pets on occasion. I think if one is going to reject all Asian brands outright, one needs a better reason than "they're located in the same vicinity as China." I just wanted to mention this because it's a pet peeve of mine in this continuing consumer scrutiny of where we source our food -- for ourselves and for our pets.
  • XabiXabi
    You're probably correct about the specificity of Japan and Taiwan being more quality minded and more regulated than China, so that is a fair assessment. I just remember my vet telling me that South America was okay, but Asia was questionable. That is maybe too broad of a brush to apply to all of the continent. I think I was just (and possibly in error) repeating some advice from a vet of mine.
    X & I signature smaller
  • curlytailscurlytails
    If ANYONE is still feeding their pets jerky treats from China...

This alert from Dog Food Advisor
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/waggin-train-chicken-jerky-treats-recall/

January 9, 2013 – Nestlé Purina PetCare Company of St. Louis, Missouri and its subsidiary, Waggin’ Train, LLC has today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing its Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand dog treats sold in the United States until further notice.

The Company is taking this action after learning this week that the New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets (NYSDAM) found trace amounts of antibiotic residue in samples of Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch chicken jerky products. These antibiotics are approved for use in poultry in China and other major countries, including European Union member states, but are not among those approved in the U.S.

More info at above link.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Interesting -- one more separate recall announced same day, different brand, same type of product:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/prnewswire/press_releases/California/2013/01/09/AQ39801

Milo's Kitchen® today announced that it is voluntarily recalling its Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers home-style dog treats from retailer shelves nationally. No other Milo's Kitchen® products are affected.

On Monday, New York State's Department of Agriculture informed the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Company that trace amounts of residual antibiotics had been found in several lots of Milo's Kitchen® Chicken Jerky. After consultation with the New York Department of Agriculture and FDA, the company decided to voluntarily recall Milo's Kitchen® Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers, which are both sourced from the same chicken suppliers.

Milo's Kitchen is made in the USA. EDIT: The Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers treats are NOT made in the USA, but... you guessed it, China! Their Beef Jerky, Chicken Meatballs and Beef Sausage Slices with Rice recipes are US made though.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-01-09 15:41:10

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)