For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Does your shiba like the water?
  • SayaSaya
    I'm curious does your shiba inu like the water either swimming, just standing in a kiddie pool, shallow stream, or anything like that?

Saya during last summer enjoyed the kiddie pool during the hot days she'd walk around in it and chase the water coming out of the hose or the sprinkler.

I haven't taken her to a beach or a area where she can stand in the water yet of coarse when I do I plan to put a life jacket on her just in case.

I know it's typical for shiba inu to hate water, but I know there are some unique shiba inu out there.

[mod edit: changed category]
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-05-21 14:40:35
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    my puppy has always liked water, not a ton of it, but if it's spraying around he'll jump along with it. If i were to put him in shallow water, he'll splash around; same with the ocean. But once he can't touch the bottom, he freaks out a bit, but eventually gets used to it.
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    my puppy is 10 months old now and really doesnt like the water. He now will walk thru the puddles instead of around them. We have a pool and we dipped his feet in the water and then set him on the step but he really didnt like it. He will get to the very edge and look in but thats it. Personally I think its a good thing as he goes out by himself through the pool area to the back yard. While we are in the pool he mostly will sit by the back door waiting for someone to go inside.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Bowdu loves wading, but hates swimming. He tolerates baths like a champ.
    Whenever we go to beachside dog parks, he'll charge into the lapping waves and get his feet wet. But he doesn't really like it going past his tummy, and definitely not when he can't touch the ground.

Swimming Shiba
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-06-20 17:37:03
  • ShibaMamaShibaMama
    Yoshi hates water.. even on walks he'll do whatever he can to hop over puddles.

Wish he liked though.. i live in arizona.. water can be a good thing.

not to mention the low impact excercise that is fantastic for the entire pack.
  • We taught Saru to enjoy water. We like to canoe so we spent alot of last summer teaching Saru that creek walking is okay. He got to the point that if he was too hot and the water was shallow enough he would jump out of the canoe to cool himself off. He does not like to swim though. He hates it when his feet can't touch bottom anymore.
  • SayaSaya
    Well Today we went to the lake house for father's day and she did swim some I barrowed my cousin's pug's life jacket for safety and after a bit I got in first and then had her come to me then I picked her up and slowly put her in the water holding the front part of the life jacket to help keep her head above water.

She actually did pretty well she didn't scream or whine she dog paddled when she had enough I held her while I walked in the water it's shallow enough I can stand, but deep enough Saya can't touch, but it was a nice positive experience I bought some canned tripe that I gave to her as a treat for behaving so well. =)

It was pretty warm today so I think it felt good to get in the water her fur dried pretty quickly since it's pretty well waterproofed..

Forgot to comment on your pictures very cute! I love the last one.
    Post edited by Saya at 2010-06-21 02:48:44
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    Here's my Yoshi playing in the lake
  • IzzyIzzy
    Aww, that video is flippin' adorable! Zazoo adores the water. I was actually kind of worried in the beginning that he wouldn't like it (as more Shibas don't) but we've had a blast this summer so far ;)
  • AkiraleShibaAkiraleShiba
    Akira likes to put his feet in the water but he's not willing to go much more deeper unless he has no choice. He will cross rivers and such if there's no other way to get around but he will whine about it before getting in the water :)

But we once met this sporty little guy that liked to dive into water :)

Photobucket
  • hanaluluhanalulu
    Evie despises water. BUT she recently has had more of an open mind... It was REALLY rainy here for a while, and she officially LOVES running rain water. She chases the bubbles in the streams of water. She will frolick around in the water. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time it happened!!
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    It depends on the situation around the water for my 2 shibas…

A few summers back out in the lake by my inlaw’s cottage in MI, Ichiro saw my husband in like in 2’ of water and jumped in. He quickly saw that this was not what he expected and jumped out, never going back in the rest of the vacation.

Next time he met with water was last summer at a mini-meet up here in Chicago with about 6-7 other shibas at a local dog beach. He was out in Lake Michigan, fetching balls and playing around as much as a little lab! Guess he really needs other dogs to emulate.

Our baby Akira will get her feet wet and loves to play in the waves, but she’s no swimmer.
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • Had to post a video of young Obi swimming. He really seems to enjoy the water, started swimming on his own terms. Followed our other dog in who loves to swim.

• I love the videos of the swimming shibas !! MoJo doesn't mind the water at all. He walks thru it, takes baths in stride and loves the sprinkler and hose. We got him used to it last summer when he was still young. Only problem is the smell of "wet dog" ...yuck
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I love the swimming Shiba videos too!

Toby is like this about water: "help! I'm MELTING!...." Baths involve screaming, biting, or the saddest of all....shaking in terror and trying to climb into my arms.

Bel will tolerate it, and will get in the water at a river by herself, but only up to her ankles or so.

Toby HAS gotten in the water himself when he's seen fish....the hunting instinct is stronger than his hatred of water.

My GSD loved the water...he'd lay in puddles just to get wet. When I lived in Michigan, his favorite thing to do was go to the boat dock at the river, and he'd run down the dock, jump in the river, swim around, and start all over again.....
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2010-06-24 03:05:29
  • nikiniki
    Our Shiba, Katsumi, haaattees the water, which is a shame, since we live in Hawaii...but maybe not such a horrible shame since we don't go to the beach that much. I sometimes wonder if she'd learn to like it if we just exposed her to it more.

The most she encounters the water is at our favorite dog park. We'll throw her in every once in a while to cool her off because she usually refuses to drink water outside of the house. Sometimes when we first arrive at the Dog Park, she's very anti-social, but once we throw her in the water, she runs around like a crazy dog and THEN decides she wants to play with all the other dogs!

Here's a video of the first time we threw her in the water...
    It always makes me laugh!
    Post edited by niki at 2010-06-30 23:54:25
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    i just found this thread and realize its all the way from 2010 nanook LOATHES the water so far nothing has worked even positive reinforcement when we walk on the dog friendly beach and the water touches one of his nails (literally) even when crossing a puddle he tries to run ALLLL the way around but i give him no choice but to either run through or jump over even then i give him praise...I tried taking a suggestion from teh shiba blog called shibashake.com to use the hose and turn it into a game even though it was alot easier to bathe nanook like that because he had no where to run or hide he didnt enjoy the fact that i was trying to make him actually chase it and he just tried to hide under the table i even tried luring him with different treats knowing that he enjoys one more than the other. I got rescue remedy and not sure how itll work yet but we shall see lol
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Kuma loves water, if it's warm.... If its too cold, forget about it!
    He's okay with wipe downs, and hates getting green tea scent spray.
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-07-13 15:15:25
  • konpeitokonpeito
    @niki HAHA Katsu's like "...forget this". Cute video!

I still wouldn't say Apollo "likes" water, he rarely goes in willingly. The only times he's rushed into the water was when he saw a dog fetching a ball in the lake and he wanted to go say hi, but once the water got too deep he quickly rushed back to shore. He can sort of swim, but still not enthusiastic about it. We took him to the beach recently and he seemed to be having fun and would follow me into the water, but once a big wave came he ran back with his ears down lol. He mostly likes to bark at waves and try to eat them.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • BootzBootz
    Bootz is a Diva when it comes to water. Once her paws get wet she'll get all stiff and act like "omg omg my paw is wet!" and run away from the water. Her best friend plays in the water. But Bootz usually barks to tell him to get out, or simply follow him on the sideline and wait until he steps out of the water.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Hiro HATES the water... I took him to the beach last year... he is afraid of the ocean.
    He's okay when I give him a bath though.
    Post edited by shibahiro at 2012-07-13 10:25:22
  • cristy15cristy15
    So far Yoshi hates water. He's 8 weeks , I gave him a bath which he hated. I'm going to try to introduce it to him slowly so when he gets older he doesn't mind it. Yesterday was the 1st time he seen rain, at first he hated it. but was playing in it later on :). We will see how he likes the lake soon.
  • DakotaRose42DakotaRose42
    Shiba hates water and Lyla loves it. Last time we were at the lake and it was 98 degress, I called Shiba off the shore as I was floating in the lake, it wasn't even over her head, maybe up to her chest. When she got to me, she tried to climb on the floatie with me! Lyla just swims/walks in circles around me, she also jumps off the dock at fish. She loves watching all of the minnows in their big schools.
    ~Steph and Wade~ Proudly owned by: Shiba and Lyla
    http://luv4shiba.tumblr.com/
  • micomico
    Suki's a semi-diva, she'll step over puddles, refuses to go out in the rain as she doesn't like rain going in her ears but if we find a shallow pond she does a shiba 500 for as long as we'll let her and if its muddy she's in her element. She doesn't like it if the water's too deep but she jumped into a pond that was deeper than she'd expected the other week and swam for a few minutes before deciding it wasn't as much fun as running through the muddy pond and took herself back to that one.
  • JaxJax
    Jax hates water. He's screamed through every bath, which is unfortunate when mixed with his love of getting dirty. When we first got him, he would sit by my feet and get upset when I washed dishes, I'm not sure if it was the sound of it or what. He also gets mad if he has to go outside to potty in the rain and I don't bring an umbrella, which again, is an issue seeing that we live in Washington...
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    Kishi loves water as long as she doesn't have to swim. She has actually caught a few fish in the lake we have at our apartment. When we take her to the beach she wants nothing to do with the waves but will go into the tide pools. She will also jump into the bath tub with my son sometimes. That is always fun! She doesn't like her own baths though but puts up with them. We actually just came in from a walk in the rain. She loves puddles.
    Post edited by britkotsu at 2012-07-13 13:22:40
  • ShibaToshiShibaToshi
    Toshi hates the water! Brought him to the pool one day and he didn't want to go near it at all! And he was shaking!
  • vaness0rzvaness0rz
    Jackson doesn't enjoy it, but he's easily persuaded if you walk out first and call him :) We go to the beach often and he likes it best when the ocean is calm without any waves.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    My dog loves water... In a bowl, in his his water bottle thing, or from the sprinkler and hose! haha

Baths are hit-and-miss. We've been to the beach a few times and he seems to only want to get his paws wet. He doesn't like it when the tide comes up and gets up to his belly area. We've never tried swimming so I'm not sure how he would handle that.
  • Arya hates water. She doesn't like baths. I look like I got mauled after giving her one.My legs get all scratched. When out for a walk she would stop and think on how to avoid the puddle.
  • pdleepdlee
    I took Pria to the river a few weeks ago with my friend and his beagle who loves to jump into the river after her ball. Pria saw this and was like, what? And then she jumped in and tried it too...and hurriedly tried to get back to the dock from where she jumped off, complete frantic in her face. I pulled her back out and she stayed out of the water for the rest of the time we were there. The only time she likes water is after a walk wherein she is very hot and wants to cool down, it's the only time she doesn't fight me on a bath.
  • Roo has always loved water since day one. Her first day home, she wouldn't stay out of her water bowl so I had to get a bowl that I could attach to the side of her pen. She still would get up on her back paws to dip her front paw in. She also loves the sprinkler, the water hose, and the kiddie pool.

BUT... if the grass is wet after it rains or if I just watered, she hates to walk on it or go to the bathroom. She doesn't like baths either but she just pouts about it the whole time and then licks herself like she thinks she stinks. Silly shiba!
    Post edited by bikingleia at 2012-09-10 12:51:57
  • Mika loves playing with the hose
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
    Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-09-10 20:35:30
  • LosechLosech
    Yep, Conker LOVES water. At first he hated it, and I'd gotten spoken to (and almost in deep trouble) with the officers at the police station I used to live next to whenever he'd shriek because of the water in the parking lot.

Nowadays though, it's hard to keep him out of it.

• SayaSaya
    Saya enjoys the water, but she prefers kind she can walk into it like the creek.

I go to the creek in winter and early spring and she loves going in it to cool off.

When we go to the lake house it's too deep can't walk in for her, but if we take boat to a small sand bar type thing kinda like a mini island with high grass Saya gets to be off leash and she will wander it, dig in the sand and swim when she wants to cool off.

I love it sadly they don't go there too often mostly boat around the lake which isn't as fun as swimming..

Saya wading in the water at battleground Indiana crappy cellphone pic
    Photobucket

Photobucket

We walked to the wild cat creek which is in walking distance we don't go in spring and fall due to ticks it's really bad in the woods and a lot of high grass. I only go late fall and late winter after snow frosted a lot.

This was late winter when it was thawing out some and snowing next day then thawing etc.
    Photobucket

When she is swimming in deeper waters like lake she has her ruffwear big eddy lifejacket.
    Photobucket

She doesn't use her back legs to swim only her front legs.. Not sure why probably has to do with her spinal issue since I seen other shiba swimming with back feet fine.

Despite that she can swim fast!
    Photobucket
  • glitchglitch
    Kazu doesn't swim, he'll wade around in the river though he seems to really like it. He likes puddles and rain too. He absolutely HATES baths
  • tatonkatatonka
    Monkey!
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    Keiko started out liking puddles--and making them deeper--but we think she's already made the connection between getting muddy and having it rinsed off (that results in shrieking). We'll see what happens the next time we have a big rain.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • YukikoYukiko
    Yuki loves water. She loves walking in rain and splashing in puddles, running through sprinklers, zoomies/hopping in streams/rivers/lakes/oceans, and loves playing fetch in big bodies of water. She won't swim unless she's retrieving or sees wildlife she wants to hunt.

• photo imagejpg1-3.jpg
    Post edited by IheartShibas at 2012-09-11 15:57:46
  • Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • DebDeb
    Saki hates to get wet and won't step in a puddle, Ted and Hachi love puddles and swimming. It's so much fun they have to have a Shiba run when they get out.
  • DjinnDjinn
    Hayate HATED getting even a single hair wet for his first year and a half of life. Then this summer was so hot that he finally relented and let me throw him in the river. He used to run to the edge, then look at me and wait for me to "force" him in >.< These days he happily jumps in by himself (finally). He still doesn't like deep water though, as soon as it is time to swim he climbs onto Kuri's back and lets her carry him, even though she is only two-thirds his size. Silly boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuaOndkEfJY
  • MacMac
    You have a Hayate as well? Very cool! My Hayate hates getting wet. Avoid puddles with a passion. Ignores me for an hour after i had to bathe him. It was raining the other day and the whole 20 feet from car to cover he acting like the world was ending and I had to carry him.
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Yukiko, great pictures. Yuki is a lovely girl!
    Monkey!
  • Kuma hates the rain. He was offleash once when it suddenly started raining like crazyz, Kuma dissappeared and I of course panicked and ran around looking for him. When the rain stopped after about 10 minutes, Kuma came running back to his soaked owner - completely dry.
    He will never go for a swim, but if the weather is warm or we're out hiking he will step in the water to get a drink, never above his hocks though.

Photobucket
  • We have a pool in our fenced in back yard, so we have not left our 11 week old Saki by herself out there until we are sure she knows how to get out of the pool. Introduced her to water, I put her on the top step (about 4 inches of water) and she didn't panic or scream, but she did get out in a hurray, which was my intention. The second time I placed her about 3-4 feet away and instincts are amazing... she swam right to the step and climbed out. Once again, no panic, and a very good swimmer. I'll take it slow, want to make sure she is comfortable with getting out. So far so good.....
  • MacMac
    Thats awesome djinn! We chose the name for the same reason lol he was a huge hit with all the FMA folks at the anime con this weekend. We would have gotten some pictures with them, but the grass was wet and he decided it was not worth the attention.
  • SayaSaya
    I love Hayate from FMA. :)

One reason I love B&T shiba inu.

Saya HATES puddles she walks by them, but a creek she loves creeks she can walk into she will go find a leaf in the water and pounce on it.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-09-16 23:48:33
  • SayaSaya
    Bumping this up for. @seastar135 . :)

Plus good bump since spring/summer will be here soon lots of beach, lake, creek or pond fun..
    Photobucket

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)