For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Nail trimming
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    I was just wondering if it is odd to not have to get Kuma's nails trimmed very often? We have had him almost 6 months and he has only had his nails trimmed once by the vet, which was probably 2 - 3 months ago.They don't seem to grow very much.
  • If the nails get too long he could start tripping I think? Or maybe end up scratching furniture or people.
  • SayaSaya
    I trim Saya's nails as soon as they need it I don't let them get too long luckily as a puppy I worked on her every day so she allows me to trim her nails she gets a treat for each paw I trim. =)
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • NekopanNekopan
    We pretty much don't need to trim Jack's nails, because they stay short from walking on concrete (outside) and slate tile (in the house). However, with a breed that's known to have paw-touching issues, I would be trimming every week until you know they are used to it.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I've been using the last 2 weeks to get my dog used to a Pedi-Paw/dremel daily. Now that he's mostly used to it, I reckon I only need to keep trimming his nails weekly/bi-weekly or so. If they aren't growing much, then you must have him walking on hard surfaces constantly (concrete).

Jesse
  • Skai does this weird scream anytime we Touch his paws...but we have never had to trim his nails because he nibbles them down like a human who bites their finger nails. Its hysterical and so self sufficient!
  • ahcollierahcollier
    I've never trimmed a dog's nails... advice? Taro is scratching up our hard wood floors. The landlord is not going to be happy. Thanks, Andy
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    have your vet or groomer do it. I am still traumatized by hitting the quick on Miko once. Or do what I do, walk your puppy on a lot of asphalt and thentheir nails will grind down naturally.
  • angnarusangnarus
    The techs at our vet clinic showed my husband and me how to trim our pup's nails but they charged us $7 to do it. Suki did the Shiba scream when they did it--I've heard Shibas often hate strangers to touch their feet or mouths. Suki would never lay still and would bite us when we tried to clip her nails, so we got a mesh muzzle and put it on her only when it's nail clipping time. It keeps her calm and keeps her from biting us. One of us still holds her still while the other clips, but it's no longer traumatic and no more screaming. I've heard of other methods too, including having one person give the dog string cheese while it sits on their lap and have the other person clip the nails while the dog is distracted. I don't think our dog would fall for that trick, though.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I still find this an amusing method for trimming nails:

I've never tried it myself. Not sure how practical it is, but I thought it was creative.

Bowdu is living proof that a dog who is NOT worked with daily or has his nails trimmed the wrong way can be impossible to work with later. We used to take him to a groomer who would do his nails. He just got more and more worked up each time he went, to the point that one day he almost strangled himself on the groomer's noose (whatever they call the short loop attached to a stand that holds a dog's head high while they're standing on a table) and ended up with blood all over his face when the groomer hit his quick and he started pawing at his head to get the noose off. We never took him to get his nails done after that. And years later, he still does not take kindly to strange touches on his paws (we've worked him up to a level where he'll accept touch from us, his owners, but he'll still bare his teeth). Now, we just walk the **** out of him, and that seems to have kept his nails short enough for the last few years.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • MyloMylo
    When I first got Mylo he was 7 years old and didn't like getting his paws touched. I decided I needed to get him used to it, so every time he was laying quietly on his bed, I would go over and pet him for a bit and then touch his paw (just stroking the top of it with one finger). At first he didn't like it, and would pull his paws away from me, but after doing it several times a day, he got used to it. Once he didn't pull his paws away anymore I switched it up and pet the whole paw (lightly wrapping my whole hand around the paw). Once he got used to that, I started holding on to his paw. It took a few months, but he's totally fine with it now and totally trusts me. You just have to work slowly and establish the trust level with the dog.

As for the trimming itself, I learned how to do it from watching a few videos on YouTube.

And a final piece of advice from someone who learned the hard way: DO NOT buy "guillotine" style clippers. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it's very hard to see what you're doing with that style. Also, buy good quality, sharp ones. The cleaner the clip, the more comfortable the dog will be.

Oh, and when you're first starting to clip, have two people there: one to clip, and one to give the treats. Lots of treats are always good.
  • emmyemmy
    For those whose dogs wear their nails down on the asphalt or concrete....how much walking do you do?
  • MyloMylo
    I probably only have to trim Mylo's nails once every month or so. He does about 45 minutes a day, walking on concrete and/or asphalt.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    My dogs walk between 1-2 hours a day. Their nails do clack on the floor, but don't appear to be in need of trimming (the end is still millimeters away from the quick).

On a related question, does anyone know if frequent trimming causes the quick to be shorter? That is, drawn further back towards the toes? Just curious...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • I think that they do. We walk Violet probably 2-3 hours daily on concrete/asphalt and I still trim her nails weekly. I find that walking her lots does not really keep her nails short. But I suspect it is because I got her so used to getting her nails trimmed and did it so frequently, that her quick got quite short. If she's trimmed close to the quick, her nails definitely do not reach the ground and it takes about 7-10 days for them to start reaching the ground, at which point she seems a bit uncomfortable (I know it's time to trim when I hear clacking or catch her biting her nails).

I have to say that I think weekly trims, of only a little bit at a time (starting when you first bring your pup home if they're a puppy, or once you've established trust) makes things infinitely easier. Violet is extremely easy to trim. I do it myself, usually no treats and she doesn't put up a fight, nor have I ever cut the quick. I only wish that I had been as proactive about brushing her teeth
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    ^I agree with Janie. All Jake walks on is concrete and all I could tell is that the rear nails get filed down. The fronts I do weekly. I am very glad that my breeder got him used to the clippers early on because now its a breeze every week. I have scott hold him and treat frequently and I clip away. I also clip very little since I don't want to traumatize him by cutting the quick. I'm hoping to get to the point where Janie is where I can do it myself without treats too! I guess even if they don't grow very quickly do "fake" trimming (or what our vet calls it). Take each paw and nail and apply pressure with the clippers. That way he will be somewhat accustomed to the feeling.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)