For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Does anyone know why some dogs sneeze when they are excited?
  • My pup sneezes for like 20 seconds straight when I come home or if I have a treat in my hand. I always joke around and say that he's allergic to excitement since he is basically allergic to everything lol.

Does it have to do with his breathing pattern changing when he's excited?
  • both of my shibas sneeze right after they have belly rubs or we've been playing!!!

I've always wondered the same thing!!!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Hmm. Good question... Now that I think about it, Harley sneezes when she gets excited over some stuff... But my two Shibas do not...

No idea why though!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Bowdu launches into mini sneezing fits if he's been upside down (for belly rubs or whatnot). Not 20 seconds... but he's guaranteed to sneeze at least once. I figure it's something about the excitement contributing to increased watery mucous which trickles down his nostrils. Don't know about welcome-home sneezes though!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • SayaSaya
    I've read on one of my shiba books or online I dunno that shiba tend to get watery noses and sneeze if held on their backs for a while not sure why, but Saya sneezes when I have her on her back to long or rarely when she is excited from playing with Bella she'll sneeze some..
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    Micha does the same thing. Especially in the morning when we're about to let him out, he's pretty excited that we woke up, that he's jump around the bed, and then lay on his back, and the roll over, and sneeze! if I lay him on his back for belly rubs or mini massages, he's good for a while, and then as soon as he gets up, he'll sneeze. unfortunately when he does, it's usually on one of us, BLAH!
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    Our Shibas sneeze as part of their vocabulary. You can hear one of their 'arguments' in this video, complete with mini-sneezing, provided the link works! :)

Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion