For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
At what age did your Shiba start losing it's baby teeth?
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Marshall has become rather....bitey lately. He's 14 wks old now, so it makes me wonder if he is starting to teeth. At what age did your dog(s) start losing their needles, I mean, puppy teeth? I went ahead and started giving him frozen washcloths and amped up the kong allowance, just in case. ;)
  • SayaSaya
    I think Saya started around 14 week I got a picture of her biting Bella and if I zoom at her face there's some teeth missing.

Saya was extra bitey during teething too the frozen wash cloths helped. She also thought wood was a good teething toy luckily she stopped that after a bit of training..
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • oh thank goodness!!
    was just playing with Selene and realized that there was red on her squeaky toy! I tried to have a look, but she wouldn't let me. In the end I calmed her down and it looks like one of her front teeth (not one of the canine) might be missing. So is she going to lose all her teeth at some stage and then replace them? How does it work?
  • Puppies have 28 deciduous "baby" teeth they should all fall out by around 7 months old.
    Some you'll notice others you won't as they will get ingested or lost and vacuumed up.

Adult dogs have 42 teeth.

Some baby teeth don't fall out and may need to be removed.

The front incisors should fall out first then some pre molars and canines followed by the molars

I have made it my CSI mission to find as many of Sakura's teeth as possible

I have 9 of the 16 teeth that she has lost.

Hope this helps.
  • nikiniki
    I think Katsumi Firefox started losing her teeth around 4 1/2 months, and it was super hilarious. One of her canines was perpendicular to the rest of her teeth for a few days! The other canine came in right behind her baby tooth, and so she had two fangs one right behind the other. We called her "Double Fang Dog."

But 28 teeth?? Wow, we never saw that many, I didn't realize there were so many!
  • My pup started loosing his incisors at around 4 months, still waiting for some of them to fall off.

The canines should fall off at around 5 to 7 months, the premolars (excepts the first which is not replaced) at 5 to 6 months and the molars will be popping up between 4 to 7 months. So a lot happening in their tiny little mouths.
  • From about 3-6 months all in all for Moshi, though I did notice that some teeth have only started growing through this last month (at 8 months).
  • spyder420spyder420
    I just woke up this morning and Sika was missing her top front tooth. She is 4 months old. I just looked at a toy and noticed little dab of blood and see her other top front tooth is gone. Heh...

What are some good home made toys for dog teething? Frozen wash cloth I am making now.
  • TriggerTrigger
    Trigger is teething too. He had lost all his front puppy tooth and about a weeks ago came to me, mouth opens like "mommy, look, I can not remove this teeth by myself HELP MEEE" and just let me take it out (premolar) without trying to move! I was so impressed. Shibas are so smart! He was playing with a frozen wash cloth but doesn't help for this teeth.
    BTW he is 5 months old. He had lost another premolar but I didn't find it. (just found 4 of his puppy teeth so far).

For the teething, he loves to have his kong, ice cube, frozen wash clothes, rope, bully sticks (braided ones) and the best one : my husband's socks... lol even if it's not ok, he stole them and hide them under everything giving me his look "WHAT?? it's not me I SWEAAAR!! I'm sure daddy hide them himself pffff"
  • TriggerTrigger
    And one canine one =) he lose it in my hand lol (we were playing) he tried to eat it but I got it ahah
  • Ari has started losing his, and it is an absolute nightmare. I guess we got lucky with Tiger Lily- she was a bit nippy, and chewed a lot, but Ari is both of those things PLUS he wakes up every few hours during the night SCREAMING.

One of his ropes doused in water and frozen or an ice cube of no salt chicken broth helps a bit, but we haven't had a nights' sleep in a long time
  • spyder420spyder420
    My socks are a regular "MINE" toy around these parts. hah.

So Sika lost her first k9 tooth tonight. I got it!

I have a frozen paper towel and will get some wash cloths worked up this week. I like the frozen rope toy as well. That difficult thing is keeping her interested in it.
  • My pup just started losing his puppy teeth and he's been bleeding is this normal? I have another dog but he's a smaller breed and never bled when his teeth fell out
  • @kiba_bear,

Yes, a little blood is normal, excessive blood is not. (in my limited experience)
  • I know this might sound gruesome but he was laying on my bed and there was a lot o f blood like my friend came over and thought it was my period. Its like his fang is lose but hasn't came out yet and that is where the blood is from and every time i would give him a chew toy there would be blood stains on them
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I have had a few other dog breeds, but I've noticed that Shibas have a substantially tougher time with puppy teething and bleeding than any others that I've owned. We had a hanging fang tooth too, it stressed me out but eventually fell out or she probably swallowed it. Definitely freeze a wet washcloth, and you can also give him pieces of frozen apple as treats.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)