For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Rescue Orgs Suggestions
  • slavy77slavy77
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 10:11:13
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • Bec1178Bec1178
    Shibas can be a very difficult breed to deal with. If you love these puppys and think that you can give them a little longer, I think you'll be happy with the results, a week isn't a long time to get adjusted, especially for this breed. My Zoey was the same way when I got her and it took a few weeks for her to come out of her shell. It's hard sometimes to deal with the unknown, and it sounds like you are genuinely concerned for their well being, so if you think they would be better off with someone else, then they probably would be. You know best when it comes to your situation. Good Luck & Let us know how everything turns out!
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    I think I agree with you, Bec. A week seems like such a short time to be giving them up. Within the first week of having my puppy, he had me in tears several times. I was about ready to give up, but I shook off my uneasiness and I kept with it. It took SO MUCH hard work and it is STILL very hard work. I talked with tons of people and consulted every book and method. It's like painting a picture...you have to pay close attention and devote yourself to the project in order for the end result to be what you hoped for...which is a healthy, confident and happy Shiba.

If you are not willing/able to give the pups your undying devotion, then I would consult the Midwest Shiba Rescue. They would be in great hands and they could begin to work through their issues and get them ready for a home they can be comfortable in. Sorry things ended up this way. :/ I wish I could help, but if I brought home another puppy I think my boyfriend would institutionalize me. Haha. Best of luck to you and both of the puppies.
  • slavy77slavy77
    I really don't want to give them up, but every time we try to introduce something like the leashes, the seem to just want to run away from us. The one won't even look at us and we've given them treats, just held them, petted them and the only thing we've done was have to grab her to get her to go in the house. Maybe I'm just frustrated. We are meeting with a dog trainer tomorrow night...maybe it will change.
  • InoushiInoushi
    While your dogs are a little behind in some training, many of these issues are really Shiba traits. They are primitive dogs and do not react the same way as other dogs. Fighting on the leash, wanting to be outside, ignoring you, not wanting to cuddle, and coming to you on their own terms are all part of their breed. I would really wait until you have a behaviorist or trainer to come over before you make any final decisions. Plus its only been a week, problems like these turn up in all puppies of any breed, and a week is hardly enough time to see how they are going to be. There will be good days and bad days. My pup was a dream yesterday when visiting friends, but the moment I came home he tried to trash my room. These things take time. However if you don't believe your up to giving them the necessary training, I really do support your choice to give them to a rescue, especially while they are young and highly adoptable. Make sure its a shiba specific one, or else someone may walk into something they are not prepared for. I also think you should consider keeping at least one of them. Nala seems like she will be an ideal pet, especially since you will be able to focus all of your attention to her, but if that is not an option, no one will begrudge you. I feel like you guys really are trying to do what is best for the pups, and I am sorry it doesn't seem to be working out for you.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • McYogiMcYogi
    Post edited by McYogi at 2010-06-09 19:08:08
  • emmyemmy
    I wouldn't give up yet. I have had a fairly easy time with my rescue, but occasionally something happens that makes me wonder if this was a mistake. Like when he damaged my roommate's house or attacked her dog. :( I think that we all expect things to be instantly rewarding, and aren't always.

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes it's harder to try to train two dogs at the same time than it is to just work with one. We have a well-trained Husky and a less-trained Shiba now, and the Husky doesn't even obey sometimes now if the Shiba is around. The Shiba does better when he doesn't have competition. His personality has changed over the last few weeks--he's really a different dog now from how he was the first week I had him. It takes a while to get into a new routine.

I'm not a really experienced dog person, and I wouldn't purport to be an expert. I just think that a week isn't long enough to make a decision. I didn't instantly bond to my new dog, and he didn't instantly bond to me. We are starting to get closer now, but it's been a few weeks. I think you should try the behaviorist thing before making a decision. Even a little progress will probably feel really good. If you still feel like two puppies are too many, maybe consider keeping one.

I think that if you give them up without giving it a chance, you'll have that yearning for a dog again and be in a worse position to try again.

I'm sorry it's not going well right now. I hope that things get better soon!
  • slavy77slavy77
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Its a big decision and I'm hoping that the trainer will help us figure it out. I'd almost hate to separate them because when one isn't around the other they cry. They look out for each other. I agree that Nala shows signs from time-to-time, but she is attached to her sister, which may be the problem. Lots to think about. In the mean time I will continue to try to work with them. If we do have to give them up at least its all been started.
  • InoushiInoushi
    I just want to add in, if you do give them up, chances are they will be separated, so I don't think that should play a major role in your decision. My previous dog was with her sibling for a long time before we got her. She did cry at first, but afterwords she really bonded and stuck to us. My current pup didn't want to leave one of his siblings behind either, but we couldn't take both, he seemed a little shy for the first few days. It wasn't until recently his real personality started to shine (a month later). But I'm glad you are considering everything, I really hope the trainer can help you guys out.
  • CaliaCalia
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    I also agree that you should definitely touch base with a behaviorist. If anything, it will give you insight on how YOU as an owner can learn to handle the situations regardless if you keep these pups, or let them go, and eventually decide to get another dog. Either way this is going to be your learning lesson, and you can certainly get more out of it then you may need right now.

Best of luck with it all.
    Post edited by JessicaRabbit at 2010-06-10 13:34:21
  • slavy77slavy77
    I think if we do give one up it will be Sanka because she needs the most help. We've been trying to leash train them and Nala will walk around with the leash were Sanka just lays there. I've tried to kind of get her to walk towards me by pulling the leash and she just drops and lies there and lets it pull her. I think we can help Nala, but Sanka might be far beyond our help. I'm not sure if the guy we are seeing is a behaviorist or trainer. I know we can't afford to send a puppy to therapy. They have a reasonable training program that is offered for life at a minimal fee. If we keep one or both I think we'll be working with someone.
  • McYogiMcYogi
  • For what its worth, my experience was very similar to McYogi, which I went through just a few months ago. And we had to go through the process during the winter! It really takes a lot of patience and time. I took my Maru to a puppy class at Petco to help train her with basic commands such as sit, stay, come, and walking on a loose leash. The most important thing I learned was that it was up to me to do the homework of working with Maru everyday at home on a consistent basis. The trainer is not training the dog, the trainer trains the human.
    Post edited by ChibiMarukoChan at 2010-06-11 00:00:09
  • maxwellsmaxwells
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    I'm going to slam you a little, but I think this needs to be said. If you are willing to give up a dog within a week of owning it then maybe you like the idea of having a dog more than the work that needs to be put into it. You may want to consider a different type of animal as a pet. One that requires less work.

It's not a bad thing. Not everyone is cut out for dog ownership. But I wouldn't give up a dog, pick another puppy out, and have issues with that breed that you can't handle.
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Bumping this because I'm curious as to how the pups are doing. Did things settle into place or are they at a rescue?
  • SangmortSangmort
    LOL!!!

Totally understand. It's a good thing it's an internet forum & not a forum where we all meet in person ;) [ I think more than one of us would be punching people out! ] ~
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    It's been a little over a week and you're already thinking about giving them up?! WoW... i feel bad for these dogs. I guess you could get rid of them as fast as possible while they still look cute huh? This is sad. I normally wouldn't be speaking out since as long as someone tries, i would be understanding of their situation, but 1 week!? That's like running 50 feet in a marathon and saying you can't go any further.

For the sake of these dogs, I would recommend that you kennel them with you at night in your room next to your bed, I'm not sure if you do this already but it would be a good step forward if you don't. Secondly, do you kennel them together? I would also say that kenneling them separately allows them to bond with you more rather than each other. For puppies, they just need to be around you constantly, keep a drag lead on them at all times to keep from having to chase them and to get them used to the leash and collar. Do not give them the free roaming of the house. Also, limit the amount of exposure they get if they're always scared. Use treats and food to lure them closer and as they eat pet them and praise them. Do not force them to cuddle before they trust you and can relax around you. Get them used to just being around you before anything else. Spend time with each one alone as well.

From your initial description of the situation, it seems like you're acting frantically and frustratedly and that works against you when it comes to getting these guys. Do something to make them come to you, not visa-versa. And if you must approach them, walk slowly and avoid eye contact. Shibas love to play the chase game, and if they're scared, im sure they're 10x faster.

If you end up giving the dogs away, it's understandable if you've done all you could have. But dogs aren't property or decorations; they're lives that you're supposed to nurture. I hope you've learned severely before getting another dog. I wish you the best of luck.
  • jujeejujee
  • McYogiMcYogi
  • ShibaMamaShibaMama
    I read their bio... oh how that broke my heart...

I do hope they their right forever home
  • emmyemmy
    I just went to look at pictures and read the bios. Maybe giving them up really was for the best....
  • SayaSaya
    I hope the two get great homes my home would be great we never get kids over they are afraid of Bella. lol

I think I would have adopted one of them if I could, but right now I can't. =\
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2010-07-20 18:51:13
  • emmyemmy
    Ok I had to talk myself out of trying to adopt Sanka today. Nala has an adoption pending per the msir website and both are being fostered in the town where I live! Repeating to myself.... You don't need another dog....you don't need another dog....

Hopefully they will both have good homes soon!
  • SayaSaya
    That's great one is pending I hope it's a good home.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)