For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dental Care?
  • bobc33bobc33
    Anyone have ideas on how to keep teeth clean when they won't allow you to brush their teeth? I can see some buildup starting and want to make sure it doesn't progress.

Thanks in advance.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-31 01:12:54
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    if you feed raw, meaty bones do wonders for their teeth. Jazz gets nutridents, but I also brush her teeth.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
    Post edited by ljowen123 at 2010-06-09 01:46:50
  • curlytailscurlytails
    My dogs get Greenies and the like occasionally. I know Greenies in particular are not made of great ingredients and some dogs have problems with them, but Bowdu's gotten them since he was little and has always LOVED them and never had a problem with them. I figure as long as I permit myself some junk food, my dogs are allowed their [modest] share too. Zukes Z-Ridge bones are made of better ingredients (http://www.zukes.com/woof/z-ridge.html), and they love those too. Neither are very cost efficient dental options, but between that, hard kibble, and other crunchy treats, Bowdu's teeth have always been very clean. Some slight buildup on the back teeth now, but for a dog that's never gotten had his teeth brushed or cleaned, he's doing great.

Lately we've started using C.E.T. Dental Chews (http://www.virbacvet.com/cet/product/cet_hextra/). They've done WONDERS for our basenji, who is about the same age as Bowdu and was accustomed to eating only soft foods and rarely got dental chews and came to us with absolutely filthy, funky teeth. We still have to take her in for a full dental, but these beefhide strips have knocked a LOT of gunk off her canines. I'm impressed. I got a pack of medium ones for a good price online (about $8 for a bag of 30 chews). Of course, you should supervise your pet while they're chewing these...

Have heard good things about Petzlife gels and ProDen Plaqueoff (http://www.plaqueoff.com/proden_plaqueoff_animal/proden_plaqueoff_animal.htm). Those are costlier products so I haven't tried them yet... but supposedly a little bit will last you a long time.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-06-09 02:35:11
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    how often would you recommend feeding RMBs?
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    I believe if you feed RAW, you can give RMBs about twice a week. I'm sure someone that does feed RAW can chime in with a better answer.
  • AkiraleShibaAkiraleShiba
    If a dog eats kibble most of the time, I would give it about once a week and make him skip the kibble meal, but that's my opinion.

My vet told me that rubbing gauze on the teeth can do wonders but I haven't tried it since Akira eats Raw and he doesn't need it.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I plan on feeding raw as feel, but was curious regarding RMBs since I also heard it can be a substitute for a meal. correct me if I am wrong! thanks everyone.
  • ahcollierahcollier
    I googled "Brushing Dog's Teeth" and came up with a dozen or so videos from various vets on how to get your dog to let you brush his teeth. Apparently the trick is to make him believe it's fun and go slow. We're working on this process right now and I'll let you know how it goes. Basically, all the videos said:

(1) First, Let him eat dog toothpaste off your fingers 4 or 5 days in a row so he gets to like the taste. PRAISE and TREATS (lots of praise). (We're here right now)
    (2) Then, once he's used to the toothpaste, put a little toothpaste on his canines and a little dab on his gums so he gets use to the feel of the tooth paste in his mouth. Do it for 4 or 5 days in a row. PRAISE and TREATS each time (lots of praise).
    (3) Then introduce the toothbrush. Start with just the canines. After a couple of days add another tooth gradually extending to his whole mouth. As always, lots of PRAISE and TREATS (esp. praise).

Patience, and making it an enjoyable experience are essential. If you have to fight the dog, he'll hate it and never cooperate.

I'll let you know how it works out for us!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)