For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Rotating foods
  • kwyldkwyld
    For anyone who rotates the food they feed their dogs, how often do you rotate? I rotate foods pretty often, between Orijen 6 fresh fish, the Adult formula, The Honest Kitchen Embark and Evo large bites. Now I've bought a bag of the Nature's Variety Turkey and Duck meal, and they are going crazy for it. Should I be consistenly buying the same food for 3-4 mons and then switching or is it ok to switch every month and a half or so? They don't have diahrrea or vomiting, just a little gas when they are switched over to a new bag, but Pepcid and plain yougurt helps that. Am I potentially hurting their GI flora or is it better to keep variety in their diet this often?
  • brandon_wbrandon_w

I don't think Nemo has been on the same food for more than 2 months in a row in over a year.  No adverse effects here.

Would a wild dog eat exactly the same thing for 3-4 months in a row.

That said, I will most likely be getting him a second bag of Orijen in a row.    

• BradA1878BradA1878

I don't think its an issue, especially if you are feed such good foods. If it was foods that were hard for them to digest (lots of corn, etc) then it would be an issue - but grain-free holistic type foods are so digestible i wouldn't think their GI even notices.

If you are concerned I would just add a Probiotic other than just yogurt - that may help the gas. (tho as I write this I am sitting here enduring a lovely doggy gas aroma even tho we give them probiotics)

We switch our dogs food very often as well with no issues... well there is one issue - they are spoiled rotten and are super picky now. Undecided

When we were feeding only raw our dogs never eat the same thing twice in a week and they had the most stable GI(s) ever.

• kwyldkwyld

Thanks for the feedback guys! 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)