For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Ninja's getting Neutered
  • RomiRomi
  • okironokiron
  • kwyldkwyld
    Romi, I have had weird issues with Kohji, I feel you on how confusing it can be with their moods and how to disipline. I agree with Dave and Leonberger with their ideas, just staying consistent and making things clear and staying calm with him is good. I find that a routine with Kohji keeps him the most happy. You are right, it sounds like Ninja is guarding the bed and telling Portia it's his so stay back. Same goes for the growling and snapping at the Weim puppy, he's saying "She's mine"(you). I just wouldn't let him sleep on your bed anymore, make him sleep in his crate. I used to let Kohji sleep on the bed and couches and he would be nasty to anyone if they came near him, us, Taj, it didn't matter. So no more couches or sleeping on our bed.
    Obedience classes work wonders though, that is really good to hear that he was so calm and confidant at the vet's. It's always a good sign when you see that tail curl up! My trainer has told her obedience classes for the more dominant type dogs to do an easy calm exercise at home often. Basically you attach a leash to your dog's collar and make them lay down and stand on the leash right where it hooks to the collar and make them lay there for like 20 minutes and don't talk to them or say anything the whole time, stay very quiet. They might squirm and freak at first but they calm down and my dogs fall asleep on the floor sometimes when I do it. Then just let them up slowly and unhook the leash but don't praise them, just stay quiet and that's it.
    Post edited by kwyld at 2008-02-09 20:10:04
  • kwyldkwyld
    Romi, when I rarely go to the dog park, knowing Kohji's reactive personality, I will keep him in the car and bring News and Taj in because I trust them around other dogs. After we are finished in there, I will go back to the car and get Kohji and walk all of them together on leash in the regular park area where the dogs are to be leashed. Maybe just bring Portia in to the dog park and then walk Ninja on leash after you guys are finished, outside the dog park, so he doesn't feel left out?
    Rachael's point about the tethering they did with Niko is GOOD advise. I still do that with my dogs because you can control what they are doing, and they love the attention you are giving them. You can tell them to sit or lay down while you are cooking or using your laptap, work on the come command, and all sorts of other tricks.
    Have you ever considered using the Gentile Leader head halter for him? I swear by them, they are awesome little training tools that increase your control over a dog, but in a humane, easy way. You can stop any unwanted behavior using them correctly. The only thing that's annoying is the dog tries to get it off his nose all the time when you first start using it.
  • Post edited by MommyofNiko at 2008-02-09 23:53:40
  • okironokiron
    LMAO @ Rachael. Was it like in the cartoons?
  • RomiRomi
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • kwyldkwyld
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • hondruhondru
  • RomiRomi
  • RomiRomi
  • okironokiron
    Woohoo go Ninja! :)
  • YAY Ninja!  I remember the first time Sasha did that and the mama pride I had!
  • RomiRomi
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • RomiRomi
  • Nice job Ninja! You should be very proud of him! What a champ. That was a great approach to use too.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • YAY  RAH RAH NINJA!
  • kwyldkwyld
    Hoorah Ninja!  That is awesome to hear Romi.  How exciting, I agree that is a great approach, keep up the good work!
  • RomiRomi
  • RomiRomi
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • RomiRomi
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-02-21 15:44:21
  • RomiRomi
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
    Woo, just got the call.  Ninja is out of surgery and everything went great!  He is awake and in his kennel sitting up and looking around and allowing the staff to pet him!  The vet said this is more than good progress to see from him and was very happy that he finally was able to pet Ninja without having me have to hold him down or be put under sedation.  He said he would like to keep him until 4 so he can just make sure he is recovering ok.  The horror is over! HOORAY!
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-02-22 18:23:26
  • JohnJohn
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
  • YAY Ninja!  Look mom, no balls!
  • RomiRomi
  • Poor big boy!  That collar is HUGE!
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • LMAO....we will be waiting some ninja destruction photos soon!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)