For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Neutering: best time, how old
  • hayleyhayley
    Hiro turned 6 months today and at first I was going to neuter him per the vet's recommendation. However, after reading and researching today I've decided to wait as close as I can to his 1 year mark unless aggression arises.

I've been reading about vasectomies and how it can be good for them to keep their hormones, however since Hiro is cryptorchid in both testes it sounds like it's best to neuter him as he's after a higher risk of testicular cancer later on.

The only issue with waiting to neuter is that now I have to pay a registration fee of $30 instead of $7 to the county and get an Intact Animal Permit which requires me to take a class and pay a $70 fee. It's worth it though if it will benefit his health.

Has anyone had a cryptorchid dog? If so how long did you wait to neuter?
    Post edited by hayley at 2015-04-27 00:17:08
  • pyleapylea
  • niki82niki82
    @pylea I too am going through all this so thanks for asking for details! I don't know if I should let Sora have her second heat and then have her desexed or get it done beforehand. I am actually really troubled by all this.I just want to give her every chance I can.
  • pyleapylea
    @niki82: If I weren't bound by contract, I think I would wait till just under 1 year, and before the second heat cycle. From what I've read, it's better to spay before the second heat cycle. Least risk of health issues that way.
  • niki82niki82
    @pylea yeah a lot of the info I have been going through seems to suggest to spay after the second heat. Of course there is also info that says otherwise but it does seem to me that it would be sensible to allow your pup to go through their growing stage first and than spay. I guess in the end though its up to the individual and circumstances involved. Sora comes from a responsible breeder and an absolute lovely lady. She loves and treasures her dogs so much. She does all the health testing(and proves it) and shows her dogs and is very open about everything to do with her kennel and once you get a pup from her you're apart of the family. She doesn't actually do contracts on companion dogs but screens potential puppy parents very carefully. It takes a long time to get a pup from her. I was on the wait list almost a year by the time I got Sora at the moment though it's 2 years for a wait on a companion pup. Anyway I will definetly be spaying Sora either way because I told my breeder I would and because I believe it is the right thing to do. :)
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    So making preparations for Ozzy's neuter in the near future. He'll be 8 months old in a couple of weeks. I'm taking a trip on July 20-August 10 and thought it would be best to do it before.

Anyone have additional experiences or opinions?? I know it's a simple procedure but he's like my baby lol. I want to be as prepared as possible. I'm doing iv and lab work and stuff to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. I'm gonna be so restless while he's at the vet's overnight. :(
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I think I'm gonna wait closer to his first year to have him neutered. I don't think it would be a problem for him to be neutered now, but I don't want to rush it. There's no reason for me not to allow him to mature on his own. I'm perfectly capable of providing him with the interaction and exercise that he needs as for an additional few months while he matures, as fun as it is to have the freedom of the dog park. But I would rather not rush it for my own convenience and it's no issue to maintain the responsibilities of owning an intact male for a few additional months.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-07-01 16:09:59
  • niki82niki82
    @lilikoi it's a hard decision isn't it? Are you bound by a contract or do you have some Lee way? From what I remember you have a pretty good relationship with your breeder. Did you end up getting any advice from her? Having Sora go through her heat wasn't too bad the first time so I'm hoping it won't be during her second heat. I've decided to have her spayed a couple of months after her second heat. I have lined the date up with my vet and she will also get her heartworm shot then too. (she's on monthly chews right now)
    For me personally it makes sense to allow Sora to completely finish growing and filling out before spaying her.
    Was there a reason you were thinking of neutering Ozzy now? From all your posts it's obvious you are raising Ozzy in a gentle, loving and excerised environment. I'm sure if you're happy to wait he will be fine. Too many people are under the perception that neutering a dog will make it better behaved (I'm know you don't think that.) and expect that it will stop bad behaviour when really they need to teach manners to their dog and of course lots of fun and exercise! I know you do all of this with Ozzy and like you said your capable of giving him extra exercise if he needs it.
    I was reading a debate the other day between two shiba owners. One was pro spaying/neutering around 6 to 8months because a shiba's bones have stopped growing. The other person was against spay/neutering now(they wish they had waited) until after 1years of age. One of the reasons being that their shiba didn't grow to its potential because of early spay/neutering.
    Even if a shibas bones do stop growing around the 8 month mark(im not sure if they do or not) there are plenty of other areas on them that are still growing and changing.
    Anyway sorry for raving on. When I worked in the shelter I completely agreed with early spaying/neutering(and still do for rescues before leaving to their new home.) but it just wasn't as simple a decision when it came to my own pup. :)
    Post edited by niki82 at 2016-07-01 19:00:12
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I did talk to her, and she recommended waiting until around a year old.

The main reasons I was planning on doing it any day now were related to my trip with him. My family wondered if I was going to have him neutered soon and were making some assumptions like they didn't want him to mark indoors while he was there. He's never marked indoors, and I really don't think it makes sense to neuter because of behavior. I would much rather teach the correct behavior. Ozzy doesn't display any of the "unwanted behaviors" that people tend to assume will go away with a neuter anyway, so it's definitely not a reason that I consider relevant. But my family doesn't really agree lol, I've talked to them and they're fine with my decision to wait. We do miss going to the dog park, too, but I know he has the rest of his life to enjoy that privilege when he is neutered. For now, even though our local dog park actually allows all intact dogs (which is a bit sketchy in my opinion), I really don't want to risk it. He's also been targeted by a couple of neutered male dogs. Oddly, the intact males usually get along with him great (so do most neutered males tho). The bigger issue I think was just that the owners of these dogs were really careless. One was even on the phone while her dog was being rather aggressive to many other dogs... Ozzy doesn't fear other dogs. He doesn't run away or try to avoid them. He is kind of willing to play into their desire to be in charge and gladly lets them stand over him while he's on the ground. I wondered if him being neutered might make him less of a target and prevent him from getting such attitude from some untrained dogs ha. But it might not have anything to do with that. Regardless I don't allow something like that to go on, so we don't stick around when there are careless owners letting their dogs behave inappropriately...

Anyway. I don't want to make the decision based on my own convenience or to satisfy the assumptions that my members of family make. I don't think it would be too bad for him to be neutered now, but I see nooo reason to rush it, and give him the chance to mature naturally. Thanks for the info and everything niki, I definitely feel more comfortable with the decision to wait. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)