For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Neutering: best time, how old
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    Hey everyone, i was wondering when it would be best to neuter my pup? Some people say between 3-6 months old before they start adolescence but some people say 8-12months old; Something to do with proper bone development etc. What are your opinions on this? I just want to do it at the right time before he gets into his spraying age.

Not to mention this doggy daycare facility requires my dog to be neutered before i can leave him there when I go to work. I don't want to have him being alone for such a long period of time ya know?

[added keywords to title ~mod.]
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-08-03 19:16:01
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    IMHO smaller dogs like shibas can be spayed a little earlier than large dogs who are better off waiting until ideally a year at least. 6-8 months is fine, especially if you have to wait to enroll him in doggy day care until he is neutered.

There are literally hundreds of articles telling you the pros and cons of both sides. And honestly there are very valid arguments on both sides. So trust your gut, and go with that.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I had a lot of questions about this too, and spent a lot of time looking up info. on it. You can find that thread on early neutering over on the NK side of things.

I agree with Jessica that it is better to wait for larger dogs, but since Shibas reach full size sooner anyway, you can probably go a little earlier. I decided that there were too many risks, esp. for large dogs (I'm thinking of my future Akita in this case) to neuter the dog before he is a year old. This will require some negotiating on my part with the breeder who wants to neuter him as a pup, but there is a lot of evidence of health issues--esp. bone cancer in larger breeds--with early neutering, so I'm not doing it early. I may end up doing it earlier than I want if my breeder won't budge on this (I would consider 8 mos ok) but I'd prefer to wait a year. I asked my vet about it, and she said that she's also read plenty of journal articles about the benefit of the hormones dogs get in adolescence, and since testicular cancer is very rare indeed, she feels like waiting is probably better, but she said she rarely ends up recommending people wait because some people simply can't seem to deal with having an intact male even for 6 mos to a year. My vet office won't do it before 5-6 mos. though.

They don't spray, btw. And a male dog will left his leg, regardless of whether he has been neutered or not, so that's not really an issue. Some people say neutered males mark less, but my neutered boy does pee on everything! (even occasionally in the house, which I'm NOT happy about).

I'll go over and see if I can find the other thread for you. In the end, you have to make the decision for yourself, and I suspect the difference between 6 mos. and 8 mos. won't make much different for your Shiba, though for me, I wouldn't do it at 3 mos.

Here's the thread I started: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5386&page=1#Item_31

but there are whole bunch of others on neutering over there--just search for it on the NK forum.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2010-05-31 01:19:59
  • InoushiInoushi
    I second what everyone is saying here, its really up to you. I personally prefer to wait, I do believe its important that your dog have certain hormones at certain times. However I know a lot of the people who choose to wait longer are owners of big dogs. I'm looking to neuter my male shiba at a year, but if he starts misbehaving I will adjust the time accordingly. How young is your pup? I know a lot of day-cares will take in intact puppies till at least four months of age.
  • I waited until MoJo was 7 months old. I would have had him neutered at 6, but he kept having outbreaks of giardia. I brought him home from the breeders with it, he'd be on antibiotics for 10 days, tested, it would be gone, then it would come back a few weeks later. It was a strong strain back then, so I had to wait another month. My vet told me as long as the testicles are decended fully (by 6 months they are), it was ok to neuter a smaller dog. I wanted to get it done because I felt it would calm him down some (which it did). He was also a "humper" and neutering took away that type of dominance.
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    Just to add my 2 cents I had my male neutered at 6 months. One reason was because the vet wanted to wait until his adult teeth grew in incase he had to pull any baby teeth that had not fallen out.(they are already asleep so this makes it easier) He did pull out two teeth and clean his teeth as for some reason one of his adult teeth had horrible tarter build up. His testicles had just started decsending at that time. Luckily he has not started marking or lifting his leg nor humps anything. He is now 9 months old. My sons boxer who is 21 months old still does not lift his leg nor mark and was neutered really young.
    Just an FYI to everyone neutering has little to nothing to do with a dogs desire to mark or lift his leg. My Shiba Moto was neutered by the rescue at 4 months. He lifted his leg from day one and peed on EVERYTHING outside. My husband called him the "pee pee bandit". He even trained my FEMALE Shikoku to lift her leg. She pees with a leg up, sometimes she even poops with a leg up (and it is as ridiculous looking as you would imagine). I know male intact dogs who still squat too. So don't let that be a contributor to when you choose to neuter your animal.
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Oh thanks for this thread. I planned on getting Marshall neutered at 6 months. He has started humping my leg on occasion, and I'll have none of that business so i can't wait until those things are outta there.
  • InoushiInoushi
    I just want to add, neutering doesn't stop leg humping, trust me, Ive had that experience with more then a fair share of neutered dogs, even females. I have even heard of cases where dogs didn't start leg humping until after they were neutered. Plus if it happens, say a few months before you do it, it goes from being something neutering can curve down to a learned behavior you must work with to correct. Its best to work on it now, just treat it like any other bad behavior, and it'll stop.
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Ah, good to know! Thanks!
  • myamamomyamamo
    I recently fostered a male Shiba that looked like he was an adolescent Shiba. He was already 2, but looked like he was a gawky puppy (approx. 6-7 months). A few breeders mentioned that he would look always look "young" and not fill out like most male Shibas do because they believed he was neutered at too young of an age. Sadly - he was a shelter Shiba so I'll never know at what age he was neutered.

For those of you who had your boys neutered before 6 months - would you agree that your Shiba has a "youthful look"? or did they fill out with deep chests and strong muscle tone? Just wondering if it falls in line with what many breeders told me.
  • sarahnyasarahnya
    Personally I wouldn't have him done until 6 months at least, preferably a year old when he is more mature. In fact I wish I'd never had Shiro fixed, he puts on weight so easily now the poor lad hardly eats anything lol. To be honest I had no choice though as I've got 3 intact bitches in the house and it would be hard work keeping them all split up!
    I will say my male who was neutered quite young (rescue, not by choice) filled out beautifully. He was perfect breed standard minus the nuts....
  • Just to say too, we had Saru fixed just after he turned 4 months. Basically when his balls dropped they were chopped. He is now 2 years old and he is beautiful! My only complaint is that he is just 1/2 an inch too tall for shiba standards. I haven't had any problems with him what so ever.
    My male was neutered at about 5 mos (5.5?). He is HUGE and does not look like an adolescent at all. He weighs about 40 lbs (not fat at that weight either, though he does gain weight easily so I really have to monitor him) and is very very tall for a male Shiba too (like twice the size of show Shibas). His balls had not descended all the way at the time of neutering.
  • myamamomyamamo
    Thanks everyone for your responses!
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    ive read that neutering early actually makes dogs grow taller. Supposedly many agility trainers neuter their dogs as early as possible for them to grow taller. Confusing yet interesting if anyone knows why
  • speeedspeeed
    Sorry for bumping up this old post but I wanted to continue the discussion of when to neuter.

As far as aggression in dogs, does neutering stop this behavior? I now know that marking/lifting legs happens whether they are intact or not, but what about aggression.

People are always saying that when their dogs get aggressive, they chop their balls and they're more calm. But isn't this a misattribution to bad doggy training on the owners part? Or am I wrong?
  • Would say, It really depends on the reason for aggression.....behavior varies from dog to dog. In some cases, yes it does help.

Overall neutering seems to result is a more cooperative dog as far as focus and training.

If a dog is not socialized well to begin with, spay/neuter is not going to change that.

Snf
  • speeedspeeed
    well just the argument of male-male aggression.

I just saw another thread on here that it will reduce aggression and also wandering and the need to escape to find a mate.

I'm not so worried about the other reasons of neutering/not neutering. just the scientific (medical) and behavioral reasons.
  • IMO I would spay a female, but not neuter a male.
  • SayaSaya
    I'd probably spay/ neuter my next dog or vasectomy for male either way..

If you have an intact male you'll have to be prepared for it and not everyone is.

Saya seems same behavior wise.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Throwing this tidbit of information into this thread...

I took Leo to get neutered today (11 months) at a clinic separate from his usual vet ($200+ at the vet versus $50 at the Golden State Humane Society). However, I previously took him to the usual vet for what turned out to be allergies. He was first prescribed antihistamines (Atarax) and then later Predisone since the scratching got worse. In any case, because he had taken Predisone, the Vet recommended to wait 6 weeks after he is no longer on the steroid before performing surgery. He indicated that the steroid, which lower the immune system, will delay the healing process and may not be as safe.

So lessons learned:
    1. Be brutally honest and on the conservative side when filling out vet forms, ESPECIALLY if it is a new vet or facility that may not be aware of the full history of your pet. If I had simply put "No" for "Is he taking any current medication?", then the GSHS vet would've performed the surgery. I stopped giving him predisone and the Atarax last week since it got better. So, technically, he isn't "currently" on any medication but I felt it was recent enough to share the information. This may be less of an issue when you go to the same vet for everything; presumably, the vet would know the history of your dog and advise accordingly.
    2. Predisone or other types of steroids may impact the timeframe during which you can neuter/spay your pet.
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
    Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2012-07-25 13:25:43
  • tatonkatatonka
    Anyone do a vasectomy instead of neutering? I'm wondering what your experiences are.
    Monkey!
  • LosechLosech
    @Araks did with her Min Pin. I don't know if any other members have. There might be some...
    That's what I'd do if I were not going to breed a male and I had an intact female.
  • TriggerTrigger
    Trigger is almost 6 months old now, I have read a bunch of articles about neuter or spay a dog, talk with some veterinarians... To conclude that the medical reasons for neuter or spay a dog aren't clear for me. Trigger is a very healthy pup as many of other dogs, my french vet just asked me if I'm considering on neuter him or not, I said "not yet, we will see" she just told me "well, if you want to show him, he needs to be intact, and if we don't see any medical needs to neuter him, we won't"... We bought Trigger here in USA but I'm still in touch with my french vet. My vet here was more like "ok so, we can plan on neuter him around 6 months old" hmmmm... No! It seems to be an automatism here in the country.
    Do you know why? I asked my vet but he didn't seems really comfortable with giving me an answer and just told me that they are trying to control dogs population and breed quality (I totally understand that but as I told him, I won't breed Trigger if he is not an AKC champion but I would like to show him here and in France esp. for fun). I felt like I don't have the choice to neuter him or not and I don't appreciate it. (Anyways, he seems to be a good and honest vet).
  • AraksAraks
    @tatonka when we found my min pin, my cousin took ownership of him for a while, and she had the procedure done on him before he came to live with us. She had read stuff that lead her to that compared to the neutering, mostly personality based stuff which I'm not even sure is true or not.

Sadly, we had to put Sevuk down a couple weeks back because he had a cancerous tumor growing on his heart, but I can share my experiences of these past 5 years: doing a vasectomy is literally like having the personality of an intact male dog, without them being able to breed. Sevuk was very much a little, "horn dog," and you could easily tell if a bitch was in heat by his behavior, since all the testosterone was still there. But, he had a veryyyyy stable temperament, and could handle most anything thrown at him mentally( if I remember correctly, this is the reason my cousin chose the vasectomy vs. neuter, since there had been some articles written about neutered dogs having extra anxiety, etc). Honestly, I had no problem dealing with an intact dog's personality, and would probably have the procedure done again if my future dog does some kind of performance sport and would benefit from the testosterone, or I wouldn't even fix him if he was in a cooperative home with me for the breeder to use in their breeding program. (Although I'd have to find another vet because the one that did Sevuk's, I recently found out, doesn't practice anymore.)

Also, finding a vet that will do a vasectomy is very tough, as there are very few that will actually do it.
    Post edited by Araks at 2012-07-26 17:08:59
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Just to point out and to touch more on Araks statement, a male dog with a vasectomy will still be very much interested in mating and able to mate. If there is an intact female dog in the same household, they can still mate and cause injury to one another if not attended, so you will still need to seperate (which is a pain in the ass) unless you plan to let them "get together" whenever they feel like it, trailer park style, lol.

@trigger, you will probably find showing a more rewarding experience with a mentor to help you and a quality dog from good breeding.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    An aside, my girls' reproductive health is a constant worry for me. Farrah is a (young) AKC Champion and has a ways to go before I wish to breed her, and my pup niece just started her first heat. They are the future of our breeding program, and SO many resources and time have gone into them with the ultimate goal of breeding. It is super stressful worrying about keeping them healthy, always fretting about pyometra, female cancers, bitch fights, unplanned breedings, ovarian cysts from empty heats, stds, the possibility of failed health tests, etc.

I don't worry about the intact males nearly as much. Their care is pretty straightforward and they are easy and affectionate (my 3 are lambs) when there aren't girls to compete over, and as long as they don't wander, hump people or mark inside, most pet owners should have a pretty happy existance with an intact dog, BUT many owners in the US are not responsible pet owners, so they let their intact males wander and mark and hump and it ruins it for everyone else (here, as well) who don't want to neuter.

I'm incredibly observant and protective of the girls. I don't think most pet owners realize all that goes into supporting a healthy intact bitch, and this is why I feel very strongly about encouraging spay in bitches not used for breeding.
    Lindsay, I laughed out loud at the trailer park statement! (and I didn't realize the males who had vasectomies would still mate, but duh, that's an obvious point now that I think about it!)

I think Lindsay covered exactly why most US vets recommend neutering: most pet owners are not responsible with their intact male dogs, and there has been a huge overpopulation of dogs in the US, so most vets just recommend neutering at 6 months as standard practice.

I neutered all my males who will not be bred (as in all but one) but I wait until they are mature, as I worry about health risks of early neutering. (there are threads here with links to check out--do a search for them). But most vets in the US just automatically suggest this. Even my vet did, though when I said I wanted to wait til my Akita was over a year old, they told me that is their preference too, but they usually suggest 6 months because they have too many clients who aren't responsible enough to handle intact dogs.

And yes, there is SO MUCH to worry about with intact females! One reason I've never had them!
  • TriggerTrigger
    Thank you @Lindayt and @shibamistress, I used to have an intact female and know how it can be. But in France almost all yards are well fenced and we are not as much in the "dog park" concept etc as you guys, dogs are always leashed except sometime on the beach . Now I'm the USA I totally understand what you are pointing out. I'm guessing that if I'm responsible enough, keep Trigger intact won't be a mistake til I teach him to not hump people, mark inside etc and keep him leashed around intact female and always supervised.
    I keep in mind that I maybe will need to neuter him if he is not a good candidate to be a champion because we want a bitch from a reputable breeder in France (we will wait at least 6-7 years) and she will be keep intact.
    Again thank you all guys! your advices and knowledge are precious!!
  • AraksAraks
    @lindsayt I'd forgotten about the fact that they could still mate lol Maybe because the only action Sevuk ever got was with his stuffed animal.

And yes, if I had a female, then I would get her spayed, as I've heard way too many problems occurring with them.
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Araks, @lindsayt thanks for the responses. It's pretty clear to me that I'll have Tatonka neutered, probably around thanksgiving time when he's around 10 months.

My doggie daycare place allows unneutered up to a year..
    Monkey!
  • I've read this thread and have some questions. My female Shiba is 5 months old. She has all of her shots and has lost 95% of her puppy teeth (all her canines). The vet told me she could be spayed at anytime. However, I'm a little worried this is a little young. She is 14 lbs so needs to grow 3-4 more pounds to be breed standard. She is also a little small still. I want her to have a chance at full growth. Will spay affect that? Also, Shibas grow quickly, when do they typically come into their first heat?
  • Females generally come into heat at around 6 months of age. As far as her rate of maturity, it depends on the genetics of the dog. What does you breeder say about this and what is written in your contract? If you breeder has a requirement then I would discuss this with them as they would have a better idea about their lines.

Snf
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @TrainedHuman, I didn't read this whole thread, but I waited until 10 months to neuter my boy. I went through 2-3 months where I could tell his hormones shifted and he began marking everywhere (luckily though not in our house) and humping me more, but I felt the added hormones during growth stage were more important, so I wanted to wait until he was a little older. Since neutering, his marking and humping has reduced significantly, so I know the process had a huge impact on his hormones.

There are arguments on both sides though.

I also, even though never used it, found a doggy day care willing to let Bear even un-neutered come to day care with the understanding if other dogs could not deal with it they would have to segregate him. Some people though chose to neuter early for the very reason it is more acceptable to day cares and other dog park owners.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I agree with Snf. Delaying spay in female dogs is a whole nother ball of wax. She sounds on the smaller side. If anything, spaying before 6 months might give her a little boost in height. Her genetics are already set.
  • speeedspeeed
    Anyone neutered their male dogs and later have their dogs become aggressive towards other intact dogs?
  • SayaSaya
    Saya hates boxers except for Bella, Mollie and Lilly.. Lilly is a old boxer who mainly hangs with the people.

Bella Saya been with as a puppy and Mollie she is a energetic boxer not sure why Saya likes her..

Mollie will bark bark bark to try get Saya to wrestle with her. hehe

Most shiba don't seem to like boxers some do like them guess depends on the dog..

Saya isn't fond of great danes, GSD or huskies..

She did eventually got to point she tolerated huskies, but after she had bad experience at the dog park she became less trusting of dogs.

I think it is common for neutered dogs to not get along with intact ones.

Not sure if it's because they're not socialized with intact dogs enough or if the intact dog acts different or the neutered dog acts different. I dunno.

Saya has met two intact males one she was snarky with other she was less snarky and after meeting him when he was in the crate she calmed down and wanted to play and not be defensive..

Coarse she is a female and he a male.. Saya is spayed though..

They say shiba tend to be same sex aggressive.

Saya is my first shiba so not sure if it's true.

Saya gets along fine with Bella and dink when she was alive.

Same for Pearly and Dink both female dogs.

I'll leave this for people who are more experienced with this.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • MacMac
    Well i can say from the opposite side that neutered males do not like my unneutered male. He is still young but i delayed getting him fixed longer than i should have. its kinda sad. My boy tries to be all cute and play with them and he catches a face full of attitude.

We seem to get a lot less attitude from the few unneutered males we have met which suprises me.

Hopefully after he gets neutered they calm down and want to play with him.
  • hngu145hngu145
    I got haru neuter just recently at 7 month. Many people say between 6-8 so I just decided to do 7 month. He got dissolvable stitches when he got neuter and it have been 8 days already. The stitch is starting to show. I don't know if this is because he bit the stitch out or it suppose to be like that. Does anyone know?
  • When you say 'the stitch is starting to show' do you mean his incision is visible? Because Shiro's stitches started to dissolve within about 5 days of him being neutered. Usually they don't have to do anything, just monitor his progress and give him a final check-up to make sure everything's healed properly.
  • hngu145hngu145
    @Zantastic
    Yes I am starting to see his stitches. Would you mind if i sent you a picture of it to your message inbox?
  • MikoMiko
    @hngu145 I've heard of sutures dissolving at different rates depending on how thick they were , but maybe you can call the vet to make sure and recheck how long it should take. When miko was neutered his stitches also started dissolving within a week and i wasnt able to see them anymore.
    Post edited by Miko at 2013-08-08 08:44:55
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    My head is officially spinning with all the differing opinions on best age to neuter... Bumping this to see if there are any new opinions? Kiba is 7 months now and we were thinking of doing it around 9 months- our vet supported our decision not to rush it since Kiba was having health issues a few months ago (not that we would have done it before 6 months anyway, I think), so in my head I was imagining 9 months-1 year, so he could mature naturally.

We are leaning now towards doing it sooner, because he is marking inside and humping when he gets excited, which he has done since he was very young but then it was mostly to things like pillows and chihuahuas, but now its to us and increasingly often. I thought the neuter would help with this, but the opinions on this thread seem to suggest that it might not. I guess in the end it sorta seems like whatever time we do it wont hurt him, but I just have to say its a little overwhelming to see so many different opinions on age and the effects. We are planning on starting now to explore our options, since our vet would be the more expensive option than finding someone else in the area.

Does anyone feel like it would be better or worse to use their usual vet for a neuter- as in, will the dog then fear that vet from now on, or will a strange vet be scarier? (Just a curiosity, I'm sure it depends on the individual experience).
  • Kiba, I thought the SAME thing. My dog has an affinity for women and the vet I use now is a highly qualified woman who he ADORES (I hear shiba screams when we drive by and don't stop). My suggestion is trust your gut. My suggestion may be worthless since absent finding constructive outlets for chewing, I am by no means an expert.

By the way, check out friends of animals. They do a discount spay neuter program, and my regular vet takes the "certificate". May save you some $.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I actually preferred for Kira to get spayed by our normal vet because:

1. Our vet is really great and in tune with Kira, knows about Shibas, and is very gentle with her when she is seen by him. I really liked that about him, as well as the fact that he knows how protective I am about her. I thought that him already having a relationship with her would make for a gentler process versus "just another dog to spay". I'm paranoid so it gave me peace of mind.

2. I researched different vet and "puppy packages" before choosing a vet - this one had a great deal $250 for 4 visits, deworming, vaccinations, and half off the spay or neuter and microchipping.

3. I did not feel comfortable getting it done at a low-cost organization because of the "assembly line" aspect of it. I wanted Kira to be one of the only spays that day by a particular vet and know that they would take good care of her. Low-cost spay/neuter clinics don't always include the bloodwork panel that any dog that goes under anesthesia should get, so the cost is somewhat offset and they also don't always provide you with pain medication, which Kira DID NEED.

All in all, the spay at our vet was a good experience, they took very good care of her considering she flipped out whenever she woke up until the anesthesia wore off. Our vet even told me in detail how the spay went and that she was one of the simplest and quickest spays that he has done because of the perfect placement of all her "stuff". :)
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Thank you Banjo, I will look into that. A friend recommended another animal hospital nearby that they said was lower than the price we were quoted (to be honest I don't remember what they quoted us, it was a few months ago, but it was on the higher end).

I think its adorable that your shiba screams when they dont get to stop at the vet, lol. Though we have the great fortune of our vet being about a block away from us, so we stop in sometimes on walks to say hello so he feels comfortable there.

Thanks Kira- To be honest I feel similarly that I would want to feel comfortable with the people doing the operation, and I would never choose a "cheap" option for the sake of price alone if it didnt feel right. That's also why I want to look into it now, so that we can make an informed decision.
    Post edited by Kiba0713 at 2014-02-17 19:54:13
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Some tips to help with the neuter:

Take the next day off, or have him fixed on a Friday if you have the weekend off. My vet only does them on Tuesdays so I took off on Wednesday and my boyfriend took the rest of the week off. So we were able to watch her for the following 5 days and eased my concern/paranoia.

Buy a few different kinds of e-collars and save the receipts - I got a soft one and one of the plastic cones. It's nice to have variety just in case and not have to run to the pet store last minute if one particular cone just isn't working. The inflatable donut one is good, too. We lucked out, Kira didn't end up needing one at all because she never licked her stitches. I just brought them back and was re-imbursed. Better safe than sorry!

Pack the crate in your car the day of the neuter. Kira was VERY woozy and confused when I picked her up and she would have fallen off the seat or hurt herself even though we have a car harness for her. I was so thankful that I thought ahead to pack and strap in her crate in the backseat with her bed and blanket.

Don't be afraid to call and check on him througout the day. I did, a lot. :)

I know that you didn't necessarily ask for these tips, but I would have been a mess if I hadn't known these things or prepared myself.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • It would never even occur to me to take my dog to a different vet for spay/neuter. But I have great vets (and they are a married couple) and one of them is an excellent surgeon, very experienced. And they are very reasonably priced.

I think the age to neuter is a personal decision, and there's been a lot of discussion in this thread, and also in this one:

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/11439/scientific-journal-articles-about-spaying#Item_11

You just have to sort things out for yourself, but I feel like after 6 months is probably fine for a Shiba (though it can't hurt to wait til a year if you prefer, which I did with my Akita and Kai Ken). Early spaying/neutering seems too risky to me, but as my Akita breeder said to me, it's a very personal decision, and you have to weigh things for yourself.

I do prefer to wait til large breed dogs (so not Shibas!) are a year old, but I am thinking it is very likely I will spay my Akita girl before her first heat (so in the next two months or so--she's six months old next week). I was going to wait, but I realized it may just be too much: we have three other (male, neutered) dogs, but and our yard is not so secure I could trust her being out in it. If it were just me, I'd deal with the walking in the yard, etc, but my husband, while wonderful, is not good at remembering things like "don't let the dog loose in the yard" for the next three weeks, and it feels a bit too risky to me, as well as just a lot of frustration that I could avoid by spaying her now.

So if it feels like the right time for a 7 month old Shiba, go for it!
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Thank you so much for the replies. I think reading "its a personal decision" is what I needed to hear.. Its still likely we'll wait till 8-9 months, but I want to figure out where we will do it and what we will need to prepare for- thank you Kira, for the tips.

If it *wont* help with the marking/humping etc then I see no reason to rush it at all, but I suppose I'll hold out hope that it will help..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)