For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Crappy Groomer :(
  • emmyemmy
    So I took my dog today for a bath and to get his nails clipped at a local doggy daycare place. Reviews online were good, and how much could they really mess up a bath, right?

I get him home, and he's got a big chunk of fur missing from his neck. (I don't know what word to use instead of missing...there is still fur there, it's just very short.) The area is about 3 inches long by 1 inch wide, right by his collar. I called them and asked what the heck happened?? They said that it wasn't like that when he left there, and maybe the fur was just laying down from his collar.

I hate to think about what they did to him. The owner just called me and basically was like...we'll give you coupons to come back free. Umm...no thanks. So she is sending me a refund for what I paid and asked if I was happy. I said I still wasn't happy but I felt like the refund was the least they could do. She got crabby with me and was like "well, I can't make his fur grow back, what else do you want me to do?"

Ugh. He's not like a show dog or anything, and it is hard to see since it's close to his collar anyway. Mostly I'm just venting my frustration, but I have a couple questions:

1) how do you think this happened? and 2) how long will it take to grow back?

Could it have been like they said and they left the collar on during his bath and he was fighting so hard he just rubbed off all the fur? Seems unlikely, but poor little guy.

He doesn't seem traumatized at all, so I'm trying not to feel too bad about taking him to get butchered when he wasn't supposed to get a haircut at all!
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    They could have used a chain collar or some kind of choke and a chunk of fur could have gotten caught and yanked out. I am sure by accident. That in no way makes up for such crappy customer service.

The bad news is that spot could be that way for months. When Miko was spayed her coat didn't fully grow back for almost a year.

Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience.
  • I agree with Jessica...I've seen some of the chain collar restraints they use at some of these places. The dog literally can't move around too much. That chunk of hair must have gotten caught and pulled right out. Honestly...I don't trust those places because there is no telling how they achieve their results with a squirmy dog. I wash MoJo here at home (they are small enough) and clip his nails myself also. I bought a good nail clipper and it was worth the investment. There are a few shiba screams and a whole lotta squirming around, but my husband always has peanut butter for him to lick and that seems to distract him while I clip.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    3 inches long by 1 inch wide? Maybe the groomer was running on mindless autopilot and took a shaver to him before they realized he wasn't to be shaved?

Jesse
  • NekopanNekopan
    That was my first thought too, Jesse. Can we see a picture?
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    that's happened with my german shepherd before and he's huge and squirmy. Only the place told me about it when i picked him up so i wasn't as upset but it is definitely due to whatever collar he was used on. if it's higher up on the neck it's prolly a choke lower prolly a martingale or his regular collar. anyways, I stopped going to that place and started washing my dogs again, sigh.

BTW your groomer actually gives your dog a bath with other dogs around? The groomer for my shiba told me i was to come in at the end of the day so his screaming wouldnt alarm other dogs. I dont mind the vip treatment for him though. I told them to use the gentle leader i bought specifically for his washing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)