For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
my shiba has a luxating patella and hip dysplasia
  • Hi everyone,

    my poor shiba paid a visit to the Vet and he limped out with a double whammy-- a luxating patella AND mild hip dysplasia. He'll turn 1 next month.

    The Vet gave him a anti-inflammatory for his popped knee and suggested surgery for his hip dysplasia. The HD is NOT severe and is in the early stages.

    My husband and I decided to tackle this one ailment at a time. First off-- take care of his HD.

    My questions are: How soon should I take care of this? I know surgery is very expensive so we have to save up for this but we don't want to put it off too long. My Vet quoted us $8,000 for the surgery. Does that sound right?

    What is the success rate for surgery??? If your shiba has had HD surgery and is fully recovered I'd love to hear about your experience. I just want to know what to expect during recovery, post-op etc.

    Does anyone know of a reputable surgeon in the Los Angeles area?

    As for his luxating patella, it is not considered severe at this point. Should I put off surgery for this or is this something that can worsen over time?

    I am such a stress-case right now. I have been online for HOURS now researching this and I've come across varying advice... I've gotten such great advice here before and thought I might get some much needed advice from experienced shiba owners. Thank you in advance!
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 10:24:40
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Posts: 3105
  • CaliaCalia
    Posts: 3664
  • TengaiTengai
    Posts: 275
    Personally I think a dog with mild HD and grade I luxating patella's, I would get a second opinion before surgery. A Shiba sized dog could live out his life with no ill effects from the above stated condition, especially if he is kept fit and exercised regularly.
    Again just my opinion.
    Get a second and third Veterinarian's opinion.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Posts: 1814
    The general practitioner may not know fully what will be appropriate for your dog in terms of surgery. Hips and knees and most orthopedic issues are very specialized. Each case is different so I would seek a second opinion. The Otho vet will do a pre eval. and explain options etc. Here are links to finding a decent vet that can define the exact situation and specific steps that might help. Not every case will need surgery or surgery right away. Breath and take it one step at a time. : )

    American Canine Sports Medicine Assoc.

    American Asso. of Rehabilitation Veterinarians (AARV)

    Good Luck
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2010-05-25 14:33:15
  • hanaluluhanalulu
    Posts: 195
    I'm so sorry -it is very stressful to take in all of that information at once. While Evie doesn't have HD (to my knowledge), she was diagnosed with a mild luxating patella. I panicked and started stressing about surgery, etc. because she was limping every day for 2 weeks.

    She's doing much better now and I realized that she may be able to go her entire life with no surgery on either of her knees. I'm giving her daily glucosamine and I make her take it easy for a few days if she starts limping. So I certainly wouldn't consider surgery at this time for Evie and I think that's something you shouldn't worry about at this time. As I learned, some dogs with a LP will eventually get worse over time and will need surgery but others will be able to maintain for their lifetime.

    I don't know much about HD. I definitely agree and think you should get a couple more opinions before making decisions regarding surgery. The right vet won't push surgery unless it's truly the best thing or necessary and they will talk you through it all. I think if you get a couple more opinions, you will feel more comfortable in the decision process.
    Post edited by hanalulu at 2010-05-25 14:34:32
  • Thank you all so much for the advice. I have scheduled two consultations with different orthopedic surgeons. I will update on Akira's progress as soon as I figure out which path is the best for him :)
  • InoushiInoushi
    Posts: 555
    I have an eight year old rottweiler who was diagnosed with HD. It was on the boarder line of severe and she was only a little older then seven months. The vet at first recommended surgery which was at the time was 3k per hip (for a total hip replacement). She was also a little overweight since she still had her puppy fat (it took her about 2 years to stop growing). Being that she was too young for any of the options we started exorcising her. At first we kept some Bayer aspirin on hand for when she was really not feeling well. We put her on a low calorie diet as well. Within a few weeks she lost the weight, gained some lean muscle tone and stopped whimpering and limping. She is going on eight now, and she has learned to cope with it so well surgery is not necessary (and because she receives two-three forty minute walks a day she can eat whatever she wants and still have some muscle on her).

    The only time it really affects her is when its cold and damp outside because of the arthritis it causes. To help reduce this we make sure she does not sleep on the floor but on something cushioned, we also have a heating pad around if she gets really bad. A non medicated way to reduce the pain from the HD is to gently massage the area around the hips and upper thigh. My dog loves this and will even demand it. Ive done it enough that I know how to move her leg to get it to pop to release the tension, but for the most part I just massage her leg and when she gets up she stretches and it pops on its own. Make sure you don't allow Akira to jump around a lot (or have her leaping fences) or use the stairs anymore, its just detrimental. I personally prefer not to put a dog through the surgery because of the risks involved. If you do decide to go through with it (which for a mild case I really don't see it as necessary, if you adapt for her condition you should be able to stop it from progressing too much), make sure you find a qualified specialist, because I've seen some pretty bad procedures done that lead to a dog getting a total hip replacement, and in one case an amputated leg. My family has been able to keep our 100 pound dog from needing it, so for a Shiba it should be something very manageable; especially since its a mild case.
  • lepercannlepercann
    Posts: 243
    My shiba Triton has stage 1 luxating patella in one of his back knees. Luckily my vet is really great and isn't into recommending procedures that may be unnecessary. He was having trouble about a year ago, and that's when I brought him to the vet. Because he has stage 1 only, no surgery at this time thank goodness. He takes 500 mg per day of Glucosamine/Chondroitin. After on the gluc, never had another problem. But we are very careful with him. No more runs, walks only and limited to 1 mile per day. He does run around in the fenced backyard though when he wants. We also lift him up to get on the furniture or the bed when we see that he wants to get up. So I would recommend checking on the LP for stage level and adjusting accordingly. Of course stages 2,3,4 usually require surgery.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)