For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
A Joy to Own
  • sarahnyasarahnya
    Hi there, I was looking at getting a Shiba a few years back and posted a topic on this forum asking if anyone had experience of keeping them with smaller dogs as I had two Chihuahua's, one well known (in the UK) Shiba breeder had scared me saying that the Shiba would "rip the Chi's to pieces". I got varying replies saying that it depended on the breedlines etc.

In the end I went ahead and bought a pup as I knew I could keep them seperate when I wasn't around by using a dog gate and the rest of the time I would be there to supervise.

Anyway at first I was concerned I had made a mistake, as you guys know Shiba's play rough and Shiro (he is a white/cream Shiba) would deliberately bash into the Chis in an attempt to get them to play, often resulting in one PO'd Chihuahua and me worried sick that they were going to be hurt! He was also very stubborn and difficult to train at first, god forbid you try and pick him up or give him a shower, and he positively screamed the house down the first time I gave him a shower, I actually was worried a neighbour might call the RSPCA as it sounded like he was being skinned alive.

However despite this, slowly but surely (with lots of scolding lol) he learnt to play gentle and now rolls on his back and lets the Chi's them jump all over him while he makes gurgling Shiba noises. When off the lead he is good with them and just does he own thing, chasing rabbits and rolling in filthy ditches is a fave of his.

I've also found his behaviour in general to be great now, he is confident and plays really well with other dogs, he is quite responsive to commands and will even turn around in the shower when I ask him (he has a lot of showers thanks to his love of stinking ditches). In the evening he likes nothing more than to snuggle up on my lap (he is definitely a ladies man) and demand that I give his head a rub.

I'm so glad I went for the plunge and got a Shiba, he is such a sweet spirited little bundle of fluff and I love him to bits, I must admit it was hard going at first after being used to Chihuahuas but he is an absolute gem now and I wouldn't swap him for the world.
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    It sounds like things are getting better now which is awesome! Did the chi's ever get in a severe altercation with him? My sister in-law was thinking about getting a shiba but she has a 4 yr old maltese at home. Shibas have a tendency to just make you forget how trouble making they are. Glad to know someone out there has the patience to deal with them! Seems like you have the recipe for success already lol.

~Will
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Glad it's working out! I think a lot of it has to do with how vigilant the owner is, and how dog aware, because certainly, if asked, I would have said the same thing--that the Shibas would rip the other dogs to pieces. But it probably also depends on the individual Shiba and if you are adding Shiba to Chihuahuas vs. the other way around.

Obviously, you're doing it right!
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2010-05-18 15:21:58
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    I have to say thank you for posting this.

I am also in the same boat as my girlfriend and I have raised a Maltese/Toy Poodle mix and he's going on 5. He loves to play with other dogs, but he hates when over active puppies get all over him. He doesn't fight, just gets really annoyed and looks to us to give him a hand. I too was worried after speaking to a couple of shiba breeders about that kind of scenario. I started to feel better about the thought of the situation after I talked to a woman that has a Shiba and a Pomeranian, and they've been together for about 3 years now I think. They get along like best friends, and this gave me some comfort. After talking to more and more breeders, and ultimately finding Phil, and meeting he and his dogs, I feel confident we can raise the 2 dogs as I feel I have (so far) followed all the rules/guidelines to put both dogs in the best situation to thrive and have the best quality of life together. Only a few more weeks until we roll the plans into action!
  • SayaSaya
    I'm glad things worked out for you Sarahnya do you have any pictures of your chihuahuas and your shiba inu?

Saya has met some chihuahuas at dog walks and she did well with them. Her class mate in puppy class was a Maltese pup which was so cute she was shy with the bigger puppy he needed one day to be done with the class so when it was just the Maltese pup and Saya they had a blast wrestling and playing chase. =)
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • CaliaCalia
    Glad everything has worked out for you, the chis and the shiba...Feel free to post pictures so we can bask in the glory of your pups:)
  • sarahnyasarahnya
    The Chi's have never had a bad fight with Shiro but Chichi (the older of the two and definitely the alpha) has bitten him on the mouth a couple of times when he ran into her, fortunately he doesn't even react and just thinks it's a game but you have to be careful just the same. I still don't leave them all in the same room when I'm out just in case they start a fight over something daft, it would only take one snap of his jaw to pierce and eye by accident. However, I think this would be unlikely, Shiro has been attacked by another dog and did not attempt to fight back even when the other dog wouldn't let go, he just screamed (it was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that just decided to latch onto his throat, fortunately it only had a mouthfull of loose skin). Having said this he is very mouthy when playing and can be a bit rough with our Saluki but never the Chi so he must recognise the difference in size.

Perhaps he is well rounded because he was bought up with them as a pup and I've been quite firm and took him to puppy classes as well. One thing of note is that all my other dogs are bitches, I steered clear of getting a bitch as I read that Shiba's can be a bit off with the same sex, I have definitely noticed that he plays harder with male dogs when we are out on walks.

I'll post some photos in a bit, I just need to upload them to Photobox!

Sarah
  • sarahnyasarahnya
    I've put some photos up in the photo forum for you to take a look at, hope you like them x
  • sarahnyasarahnya
    I have a Flicker account, could you let me know if you are able to view these photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyasu/
  • amtiamti
    Posts like yours make me smile. You are doing a great job with your babies!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)