For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Eating grass..??
  • kodakoda
    Koda has been eating grass for about a week now. Is there something lacking in his diet??
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-29 02:46:44
  • Severus has been doing that lately too. He'll run then snatch up some grass and chew on it
  • kodakoda
    AWWW!!!! He's SOOO CUTE! So do you have any idea why?
  • Dino has been doing this too, don't know why
  • kodakoda
    I did google it but they gave me various answers such as, something lacking in their diet, upset stomach or just because they like it. But since Shibas are "special" =) I wasn't sure if there was another explanation.
  • Someone once told me it cleans out their stomach but I don't know about that. Maybe the wind is blowing and the grass is "moving" so being Shibas they catch it and eat it. Not sure =/. Severus is on a pretty poor diet now though since its a limited ingredients one.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Here is some info. Not sure how conclusive or in depth this is. However healthy pet magazine had an article on this recently. Apparently there was a study and survey done to determine percentage, how often, and when.

In regard to pet diets "There was no indication that dogs fed primarily table craps or raw food were more prone to grass eating than those receiving commercial, nutritionally balanced diets. Nor was there any indication that dogs receiving less fiber in their diets tended to eat more plants. So contrary to the common perception that grass eating is associated with observable signs of illness and vomiting, we found that it is fairly typical.....plant consumption is not usually associated with illness but instead with may be a trait inherited from ancestors" (p. 27).

Ref
    Heart, B.L. (2010). Is it normal when my dog or cat eats grass? Health Pet Magazine. Spring 2010.

So if you have a grazer make sure to keep you pet away from chemically treated lawns. The other thing is not to let them eat too much....sometimes if they eat long blades they get bound up in the intestinal tract and that causes elimination problems. Last thing you want is the neighborhood watching coming to visit if your dog is screaming cause he has "poop butt" (LOL). Yes, shibas can be dramatic.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2010-04-21 19:28:00
  • amesylphamesylph
    I know dogs will eat grass when they are feeling barfy, but Ki *loves* to nom on grass for the yum of it when it's all green and new at the start of spring. He loves the long super green grass that pops up after a good rain. I limit how much he can do this on walks because I don't want him to overdo it and get sick...or have the grass have something bad on it and make him sick that way. But really, he just likes chomping one a bit of grass for no real health issue sometimes.
  • maximosmaximos
    SO weird my male shiba max eats grass all the time!! I feed him a raw diet so he eats well. I talked to my vet and she said that it was nothing to worry about but he does it so often it worries me at times
  • SayaSaya
    Bella my parent's boxer is a grazer, but Saya she doesn't eat grass at all.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I read that grazing was a unique/quirky shiba trait. Maybe they evolved from super pygmy wolf cows or something hahaha
  • Akira loves eating grass whether his diet is kibble or Raw. Since we live in an appartment, when he wants to graze he eats my aromatic plants, I like it since his breath smells so nice after :)
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    I grew up with mutt who would only eat grass when she had an upset tummy, at any point in the eyar so long as there was grass available. But she wouldn’t graze – she’d go to town! Then of course come in and promptly throw up. This is the basis for my thought that dogs might eat grass when they have an upset tummy.

Enter my first shiba – a total grazer but his favorite snacks are dandelions. (He will do tricks for them, weirdo.) Before the dandies come out in full swing, he nibbles on grass as well. He’s never thrown up from it. I think he’s just grazing, enjoying the tender grass shoots you get in the spring.

Once the dandies are done, so is his grazing (including grass). This anecdote makes me think they just like the taste of sweet grass shoots after a long snowy winter.
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • MyloMylo
    Mylo's dog food (Acana) actually has dandelions in it. Apparently they're quite healthy for dogs.
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah I think I've read somewhere that dandelions are used for health reasons.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    When he first started eating dandelions, we looked into it and found they are good for dogs. Sadly, our Akira is totally uninterested in dandies even after seeing her big brother beg for them.
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • dandelions are foods for rabbits. Plus people eat the rocket part of dandelions (leaves)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)