For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Excessive butt licking??????
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    So Yoshi has been licking his little butt like a crackhead. We took him to the vet prob about a month and a half ago and the dr said he must've been doing that because he had a loose poop and gave us some cream. Well that was awhile ago and still every once in awhile he will like his butt till it turns bright red!!!! He hasn't had any loose poop. Does anyone else's Shiba do this or is mine just a freak?????? When no one is around I have to put little boy underwear on him so he can't lick LOL
  • Perhaps he needs to express his anal glands.
  • HAHA lol. The thread title is too funny but I do hope you get to the bottom of this..
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    I would take him in to the vet. Too loose of poop can cause problems since it does not help to express his anal glands naturally. The the bright color often indicates irritation which then leads to infection in the next phase. Antibiotic is needed if there is in fact an infection.
    Look into diet change so he can have a better poos. Yeah there are some dogs more prone to it so you have to be aware when they are getting rectally dysfunctional indicated by their licking too much or scooting.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2010-04-01 17:37:54
  • Lol, Akira does this too. We have asked our vet and his anal glands are correct, in Akira's case it's only a bad habit.
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    Yoshi's anal glands are fine, his poop is fine. Everything is fine. I guess it's also a bad habit for him too ugh
  • Katsu know all about it. The stink butt instances have dropped now that we've dropped wellness puppy. Her poops are much better, and she hasn't been getting scared as much. So her anal glands aren't feeling the need to express them selves to much anymore.
  • anal glands...yikes. my yorkie used to need his gland squeezed. I used to do it too and my husband was SOOO grossed out. He didn't even want to be the "tail holder". I hope Shibas don't have anal gland issues. Been there and done that.
  • MyloMylo
    I had similar concerns about Mylo when I first got him (he was 7 years old). Turns out it's a bad habit for him as well.

I'd say your safest bet would be to bring your dog to the vet and have his glands expressed. Make sure it's a vet and not a groomer though. Groomers are only allowed to express the glands from the outside (see YouTube. They don't actually do it, but they show how it would be done), where as vets do it from the inside (likely not on YouTube lol). It's a much safer, and more effective process if done properly (the vet way). A ruptured anal gland can be extremely painful and costly, so you're better off taking the cheap route (about $30 at my vet) and getting it checked.
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    I brought him to the vet, he said no need to express the anal glands. He gave me some cream to put on Yoshi's butt. He only does this butt licking when no one is around to yell at him, like when I go to take a shower. So he must wear his little undies.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    quick fyi....Sometimes anal gland irritation and licking is due to irritation from allergies. Allergies cause all areas not just eyes, nose etc to become irritated ....i.e. all mucus membranes can become inflamed. Excessive obsessive behaviors usually start from underlying sources. Thereafter it can be habituated or chronic.

I would look at food irritants as a start. Really dogs do not have a desire to do harm to themselves for no reason.
    Having pants on him is a good idea, however, IMHO looking at the source of the issue is important to reduce further problems.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2010-04-02 22:40:43
  • i'm surprised Yoshi wears the underpants and doesn't try to chew them off. He's a GOOD boy. MoJo would have them in shreds by the time I got out of the shower :(
  • MyloMylo
    lol Diane, at least he'd rip those up instead of licking his bum!
  • lepercannlepercann
    My mom's shiba licked her butt as a pup and it turned out she had worms from eating bunny poop.
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    Well he hasn't been licking his butt for a bit now......for now. Yoshi is a friggin weirdo that is my conclusion here LOL
  • Bringing this topic to the top because now MoJo has started "licking his butt like a crackhead" as Amanda put it, A BIG LOL!!! I remembered seeing posts about butt licking and thought I'd refer back to them to see if I could see some reason ...and I think I see something. I just started feeding MoJo WELLNESS food because it's all natural and it even smells like GOOD food. But since (and now I make the parallel) he started eating that, the butt licking started. I see someone else posted that once they cut out Wellness puppy the problem stopped. What could this food have to do with anal irritation?????
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Not sure what's going on, but it could be just by *pure coincidence* that the Welsh Terrier we frequently dogsit for also ate Wellness and always had major butt-scooching anal gland problems.

We tried Wellness with Bowdu once but his poops were way loose and never got better, so we never touched the brand again.
    (Bowdu has no such problems, so I can't really help there other than to chime in on my experience with Wellness.)
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Thanks for your input Curlytails. I am so curious because all the other soft foods I fed MoJo never did this. I wonder if it's the amount of protein. It doesn't give him soft poops but I think it irritates his butt and thus the licking. Interested in seeing what everyone says about this.
  • For our kids Wellness Puppy = soft stool and butt licking. Wenow feed a 50/50 mix of Wellness Core Ocean/Evo Red Meaty Bites, and everything is good.
  • Let's hear about more Wellness reports cause I'm thinking it's the wellness food problem. It wasn't the puppy food I was feeding him...it was the regular food. I think a whole different kind of hollistic food is what I'll get along with his merrick BG kibble
  • SayaSaya
    Saya did fine on Wellness puppy and she did fine on wellness core ocean, but she is now on raw so no issues here..

Bella had runny poop on wellness puppy food she is now one wellness core ocean and her poops are fine and she'll like her butt for a bit, but once it's clean she stops and only time she butt race(drags but on the floor. lol) is when she eats a bunch of grass and some grass is hanging out.. lol

It could be something in the puppy food that doesn't agree with I dunno, but wellness core ocean has done great for Bella her poop is always normal except for occasional grass or small bits of toy fuzz..
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • MoJo's poop is fine, firm...not loose. The only problem is that since I started feeding him it, he's been licking his butt all the time and biting at it (no fleas). This is why I think the tissue is irritated from the Wellness food (never gave Wellness puppy), and with his licking, it's more irritated. I bought Wellness Salmon and that made him throw up but I didn't associate it with the butt licking problem of now eating Wellness Chicken. I think overall Wellness just doesn't agree with him
  • curlytailscurlytails
    For what it's worth, the Welsh Terrier was on dry Wellness kibble, not soft stuff. Don't remember specifically which one, but it wasn't Wellness Core.

And I think it's funny that this thread now has a "Hot!" flag next to the title.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • SayaSaya
    Probably so.

Saya has a stomach of steel.. lol
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • and it all started with "Yoshi is licking his butt like a crackhead" LOL ....That was funny Amanda! I'm feeding other soft food and see if his butt licking stops
  • LoveMyMylieLoveMyMylie
    LOL... Mylie also licks her butt like a crackhead. A coincidence that she's also on Wellness food? I sure hope there's no correlation because she loves this food! I've never seen a dog so excited to be fed the same stuff she's eaten every day for several years! I've taken her to the vet over it a few times and she's always been fine, just turns out to be a bad habbit, much like excessive paw licking that I saw posted as another discussion. She does however get the occasional constipation and a small helping of plain yogurt usually corrects this fairly quickly. On another note, Mylie understands what "stop licking" means, and we just have to scold her when it becomes too much to avoid irritation to her bum.
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    Well Yoshi hasn't licked his butt like a crackhead in a long time now. We just recently changed his food to Wellness Core chicken and everything has been good :)
  • BeccasunBeccasun
    Brody had a few issues like this for a bit, my mom (who had a great dane and was told by a vet to try this) said to feed him a little of my activia yogurt and he'd be fine. So I did, and he was. I have NO idea why this helped. none.

Now he won't stop licking where he was fixed. One testicle never decended, and the vet left his mark "finding" it. I wonder if he has nerve damage... but he just goes at it constantly unless I scold him. He was fixed in the begining of March. The stitches were disolvable. He is a weird dog, totally wierd. Runs to watch me vaccuum. So, because his behavior is so a-dog-typical, I never know if he's just got a new thought in his fuzzy head or there is a problem brewing.

Lotsa luck!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion