For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Allergies???
  • kfields25kfields25
    How do you know if your dog has allergies? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I am curious...
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 10:27:06
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Excessive scratching, hair loss, sneezing, excessive licking - these are Jazz's symptoms - she has a grain allergy.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • Basically everything that was said. Maybe running nose/eyes. Rubbing face in the grass.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    http://www.aavd.org/FindADerm.aspx
    http://www.vetallergy.net/page3.html
  • Eye crusties, especially green ones.
  • kfields25kfields25
    Hmmm...how did you know it was a grain allergy? Yogi licks (sometimes I think it's a bit much), and he is always around me when I spray something like air freshener or perfume. No eye crusties unless it's when he just wakes up. I'll check out these sites...thanks!
  • Bump

There are a few threads so I posting here.

Not sure if I am being an over-concerned pet-parent (which I usually am), so before rushing to the vet, I figured I'd ask here...

Banjo has been sneezing a lot recently... like a LOT. He is also scratching himself a bit more than normal, and almost exclusively after we come from outside. His eyes are extra "gooey", and he is lethargic/tired easily (could also be the record hot days we've had in the area). Also, he is ALWAYS shedding the undercoat, its still going on and has been for almost a month!! I know @Bootz's shiba doesn't blow coat, just sheds all the time ( I think you said that, right?). I am not sure if Banjo does that or has normal shiba tendencies. (he is only a year old)

He is on a "almost" exclusively raw/grain free diet. (He eats duck/beef 6 days a week [including organs and tripe] turkey one day a week, however his treats sometimes have potato or barley).

I am thinking some benadryl may help but I have no clue how much to give, or what kind (child size, non-drowsy, gelcap including casing, gel cap no casing, syrup, can I mix it with food? etc).

Also he has been holding his poop longer. This morning was his first poop since Saturday morning!! I think it may be because everytime he sniffs the grass to "find a spot" he comes up sneezing.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks. =(

Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2014-09-02 09:39:29
  • Is her sneezing productive? Like is there mucus coming out?

Nym had a small reaction to her last round of boosters so our vet told us to give Nymeria 1/4 of a child's benadryl. We cut up the grape chewable ones. Nym is quite a bit smaller (11.4lbs) than Banjo, but maybe you can translate the size. But I would definitely give your vet at least a call to make sure it's okay... it should be, but if his sneeze is productive it might be something other than allergies.
  • @lauratherose, his sneezing isn't productive, I don't think... when he sneezes in my face (the little d-bag that he is), its just a little wet, and when he sneezes on the floor, I see no moisture on the hardwood.

• sunyatasunyata
    Dosing for Benadryl is generally one mg per pound of body weight for canines. If Banjo is an adult, he will probably be fine with one tablet. I get my (generic) Benadryl from Target, the standard caplets, and they are pretty cheap (~$4 for 100 pills).

That being said, I would suggest you take Banjo to the vet to rule out any other issues. Your vet may also have a better suggestion, especially since Benadryl is not super helpful with seasonal inhalant allergies. The vet appointment is especially important since there appears to be a change in behaviour in addition to the sneezing.

As for coat blowing, sometimes it takes MONTHS for the undercoat to be completely blown. This year has been a rough year for my vacuum since at least one of my pups has been blowing coat since March. So I would not worry about the shedding unless Banjo is coming up with bald patches or seems unusually itchy.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • If I ever post "I am getting another dog" can someone remind me of this thread and instead suggest a hamster? Thanks. =)

Much appreciated! I am trying a new vet who fully supports raw but the problem is Saturday is the next time I can get there!

• HAHA! Oh you have a little sir, eh? (When Nym's being difficult, I call her a little miss)

Shibas have such a personality!

That's good about the unproductive sneeze... Sounds like allergies to me... but please take that with a heaping gallon-ful of salt, because I am not a board certified veterinarian and have attended 0.0 years of vet school.
  • RikkaRikka
    I give Sagan a tablet of Benadryl when he starts sneezing / scratching more than usual, and that seems to help.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • The last time I took Quake to the vet which was about six months ago he had the same symptoms as he does now--scratching, itching and sneezing. The vet said that the itching was due to Quake's very dry skin so I should give him fish oil which I had been giving him 1,000 mg daily. Last week I had upped the dosage of fish oil to three miilligrams per day but Sunyata set me straight. @ Sunyata--Thanks Sunyata.

The vet also said to try benadryl--one 25 mg tablet per day. The benadryl did not help the itching at the time and it made Quake anxious so I stopped giving the benedryl after three days. Quake did ease up on the itching at that time even though I had stopped the benadryl. Now the itching and sneezing have started up again. I have been very careful to five him his flea prevention treatment every thirty days--Advantix II so I do not think it would be fleas and I have not seen any fleas on him.
  • BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog

You got me mixed up with somebody else. My Bootz sheds twice a year.

Is the itching and sneezing only happening after he comes back from outdoors?
  • @bootz, sorry about the mixup!!

The itching/sneezing is when we come in from outside, when he wakes from a nap, and right after he sniffs the ground to find a spot.

• jennjenn
    Sounds like an inhalant allergy since it's conditional, unless he actually has something in his nose.

A few months ago when a roommate moved out, Rigby started sneezing non-stop. We tried Benadryl (1 capsule, Rigby is 22 lbs) and it did absolutely nothing. I ended up with him at the vet for full inspection and the only thing they could come up with is that he may have inhaled some sort of particle or piece of grass. They gave him a steroid and that took care of it, and hasn't been a problem since.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • This morning Quake and I came out of my condo building and he froze and refused to go in the direction I was heading so I decided to compromise and allow us to walk down Connecticut Ave. NW since it was 6:45 am and there would not be that many dogs out on their walks. It turned out well because there is some green on the walk but not as much green as in the other spots where I usually take him and he only sneezed once and did not scratch and itch when we got back from outside. I should have thought of limiting his exposure to green when he started sneezing and itching but it turns out Quake is smarter than his Pet Mom!! LOL!! Actually he loves going down Connecticut Ave. because he gets lots of attention from people and he just loves that!!!
  • Take him to the GW campus!!

Do you live in Georgetown area? Georgetown's campus is a great place for him to meet people that worship him!
  • @BanjoTheBetaDog-I live across the street from the zoo so when we go down Connecticut Ave. he gets to meet a lot of people! They do not allow dogs in the zoo but that's okay. That's a great idea to take him to a campus. We could walk over there and he would love meeting the students!!
  • kovikovi
    My shiba recently started gnawing on his tail and it turned bright red so we took him to the vet and he got an antibiotic and steroid. We have had him on this steroid before due to allergies and no adverse effects.

Problem is he has become very lethargic and refused to go for a walk this morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? He currently eats a raw diet 2x/day with Welactin poured on his food.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @kovi - Steroids definitely can have some nasty side effects. I would consult with your vet, especially since this is pretty significant behaviour. It has been cool in the mornings in the Mid-Atlantic region, so heat is definitely not a factor.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • kovikovi
    Thanks @sunyata. I got him to play fetch in the backyard yesterday and my girlfriend got him to walk this morning. I think his lethargy has to do with self pity more than anything. I think he is self conscious with his tail looking mangled.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (6)