For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Mulch Warning
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Posts: 447
    This warning was on the SIRA Shiba Forum website:
    Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.
    Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

    Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's web site,

    this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

    Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."
    *Snopes site gives the following information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp *

    Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells li ke chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

    Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

    **PLEASE PASS THIS ON**
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-01 04:22:20
  • wliu003wliu003
    Posts: 222
    Thanks for the news. I will be sure to pass the msg along.
  • Hi all. It’s been a few years!!

    I moved to suburbia to help take care of my parents. Banjo loves having a full house. I fenced in the backyard so I could give him space to run.

    I am bumping this because I now need to buy mulch to put around the shed so banjo doesn’t try to get underneath.

    What kind of mulch do I get that’s pet friendly?

    Side note: why do people buy single family homes? The to do list NEVER ends.